Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Benne posted:

Does Kanemaru count as a boy, I definitely remember a time when people on this forum didn't like him but they seem to have come around on his divorced dad energy.

Anyone who doesn't appreciate Nobu is a mug. He's very low key in how basically everything he does compared to a lot of the Juniors in NJPW (& before that, in NOAH) but there's a reason no one else has held the GHC Jr Title more than him, & that he was in fact the inaugural Jr champ in NOAH.

In fact I'm going to watch the final of the tournament to crown the first Jr Champ there, Kanemaru vs Juventud Guerrera once this Giant Bomb stream finishes

There is a rad spot where Kanemaru does a Lionsault and gets caught straight into the Juvi Driver. Going to have to gif this when I get to my PC

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

No, that's him for real. Everyone who has met him can confirm.

He has a "Redneck Party Bus" business in Cincinnati now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

mary had a little clam posted:

I also really liked Jody Fleisch back when I was really into flippy poo poo. I think his finish at the time was a springboard 450 spike DDT thing that just blew my mind.

WWE-wise, my guilty pleasures were probably Steve Blackman, Johnny Stamboli, and Charlie Haas. Was it Stamboli who got saddled with a "man in a dress" gimmick for no reason (and if i recall, kinda made it work)?

I remember him being a pretty big deal in indy wrestling in the early 2000s, although I'm not sure if he ever really went beyond the British Isles or Europe. He was probably born about 10 years too late, as he'd have probably had a massive fanbase if he'd competed in WCW or Japan in the 90s.

Also, there's no shame in enjoying Blackman or Haas. Stamboli was a passable brawler, IIRC, so he definitely qualifies as a boy.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Repo Man ruled because he was a neutral scumbag, he'd repossess Macho's hat and then IRS's briefcase

Also his theme ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2l5fW4evUU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Repo Man (Much like IRS) was also a great character because who wouldn't hate a guy that just takes poo poo from people because they are unable to pay

That kind of thing (also like IRS) would still be hate-able in our current time too

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Also it seemed like Barry genuinely loved hamming it up while in that gimmick.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Neodoomium posted:

Also it seemed like Barry genuinely loved hamming it up while in that gimmick.

i've heard a similar reason was why Charles Wright didn't want to reintroduce Papa Shango, because in his words "I got paid good money to brag about smoking weed, who wouldn't turn that down?"

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Charles Wright loving loves his weed; the whole Brawl For All darkside ep all he does is talk about getting high and loving people up lol

He was absolutely blazed for this I can tell

https://twitter.com/realboogey/status/713883941908779008

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Charles Wright was the highlight of that episode. Russo comes off as a delusional sociopath, Cornette is himself and Bart Gunn and Droz are cautionary tales.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
The small part with D-Lo about Droz was painfully beautiful (?); like D-Lo probably has nightmares about Paralyzing a friend/coworker; and when Droz is all like D-Lo, it's an accident, I'm alive, dont worry, it's not your fault; etc.

Cool fact about Droz is his friend is (or was) the Under Armour CEO and made him a sick wheelchair :unsmith:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Yeah, Charles seems like he's got his life figured out

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sean O'Haire: Him and Palumbo had a pretty cool tag run in late WCW. He had so much more potential in WWE than what he actually got to work with.

Joey Mercury: I loved the tag team of Christian York & Joey Matthews in late-era ECW, they were like the Budget Hardy Boyz. Then they put him with John Morrison in MNM and it ruled.

Marty Jannetty: Substance abuse problems aside, he was always an underrated wrestler. Every time they've brought him back he's put on a great match, and it sucks that his name is synonymous with "the lesser tag teammate".

Flamita: I don't know if he counts because there's nothing particularly cringe about him, but he's completely underrated and I don't know why he hasn't been locked down by a major promotion. He just keeps floating between indies and occasionally shows up in Dragon Gate.

forkboy84 posted:

And now everyone chants "H-A-G-E" at him and he claps along, having fully embraced his lack of locks. (Side note but his name when in the DG stable Jimmyz is terrific, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! And everyone knows that The Jimmyz were the best DG stable.
Everyone knows the best Dragon Gate name was Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Joey Mercury: I loved the tag team of Christian York & Joey Matthews in late-era ECW, they were like the Budget Hardy Boyz. Then they put him with John Morrison in MNM and it ruled.

MNM was a really fun tag team, yeah. Morrison was doing Morrison things and Mercury seemed like he kept up really well.

Then Jeff Hardy killed Mercury with a ladder and welp

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Dias posted:

Here is my question to you: is Chuck Taylor the Internet's boy?

Most Chikara-alums are varying levels of “Internet’s Boys,” with Chuck likely in the upper echelons of boyhood. He’s a great hand, safe-ish worker, journeyman type that will likely never get a main event run or even a gold watch run outside of some smaller indies or PWG.

As such, he’s certainly in my stable (The Best Friends, in general, are in there, though OC might be a little too much of a standout now to qualify).

MY BOYS/CAILÍNS
- Chuck Taylor (and by proxy Trent?): see above. Fun millennial weirdos who have good matches but will probably not ever be huge deals (at least as a team).

- Big Boss Man: perfect midcard dude that could get elevated here and there as a threat, great gimmick in both his early fed days and latter Corporate role, had a rad crescent kick, and was one of my first wrestling action figures (still so bummed that he’s lost to the ages under my old house’s backyard deck :smith:).

- Gentleman Jervis/Jervis Cottonbelly: okay, this one’s tough since there’s the recent sexpest rumors and apparently the guy under the mask sorta sucks, but I love the “sweetest man” gimmick. Fun comedy wrestler, good overall mental-positivity messaging, but clearly never going to be “the guy” for any company. Still, it might be fun to see him pop up on AEW Dark or something.

- Molly Holly: I think she barely counts since she’s been Women’s Champion (but never the Ace) and such, but she was super adorable as the Juliet to Spike Dudley’s Romeo in the Dudleyz/Hollys feud, fun as Mighty Molly, and always had pretty solid matches during her “serious business/shaved head” phase. Plus she’s legit one of the nicest people in wrestling (at least according to New Jack).

- Steve Blackman: The Lethal Weapon was always my boy in WWF No Mercy, and who doesn’t like glow sticks and karate??

BodyMassageMachine fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 17, 2020

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I was always a big fan of Val Venis growing up but in this current timeline: yikes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DJExile posted:

MNM was a really fun tag team, yeah. Morrison was doing Morrison things and Mercury seemed like he kept up really well.

Then Jeff Hardy killed Mercury with a ladder and welp

It just occurred to me that if they came up with the Morrison name sooner instead of calling him Blaze/Spade/Nitro, that stable would've been named "MMM". :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I was always a big fan of Val Venis growing up but in this current timeline: yikes.

his sleazy saxophone theme fuckin ruled

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

plus his Titantron being half stock-footage visual double-entendres

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DJExile posted:

Val Venis's theme song was actually a cover/update of Rick Martel's old Model theme.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How did we get this far in the thread without mentioning everyone's sleazy older brother in the 90s, Jack Evans From The Heavens

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There are people who don't like Jack Evans?

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Repo Man (Much like IRS) was also a great character because who wouldn't hate a guy that just takes poo poo from people because they are unable to pay

That kind of thing (also like IRS) would still be hate-able in our current time too

Barry Darsow rules.

Hole in One Barry Darsow was late stage WCW at its best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_8nCrWts-k

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

sticklefifer posted:

There are people who don't like Jack Evans?
I feel like someone actually had the backstory for her, but Jack Evans Girl may have taken the full allocation of 'liking Jack Evans' in the era of Generation Next/Vulture Squad for the entire eastern seaboard.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Norman Smiley will forever have a place in my heart for wearing the jersey of infamous AHL enforcer Dennis Bonvie when he was doing the sports gear in hardcore matches gimmick.

My cousin and I almost got in a fist fight over one of those lovely Adam Bomb "Bomb Squad" footballs he'd sometimes throw into the crowd during his face run. It's in a box somewhere in my parents house.

Loved Repo Man too, like others have said, his theme ruled.
Repooooo Maaaaan dooo dooo doooot

I also liked Justin Credible, probably just because I thought his finisher looked cool.

Zombie Lemur fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 28, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Justin Credible was perfectly fine as a ratbag midcarder with two or three goons helping him at all times. He just never should have been higher than that on the card.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Can't believe the WWE pushed Cena to the moon when they had a perfectly good guy with jorts the entire time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Can't believe the WWE pushed Cena to the moon when they had a perfectly good guy with jorts the entire time.

Did Not Aldo Montoya ever actually wear jorts in the WWE?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I got into WWF when I saw Viscera and The Headbangers on an episode of Metal and thought,

yes,

this is what I want out of wrestling.

Oh here's a cringe one, Tatanka, but his 2006 run. I was seriously invested in his losing streak gimmick and wanted him to win.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 28, 2020

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Vagabundo posted:

Did Not Aldo Montoya ever actually wear jorts in the WWE?

Jortsin Credible was there for the Invasion, right?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zombie Lemur posted:

Jortsin Credible was there for the Invasion, right?

I remember he was part of the ECW part of the Alliance, but I honestly can't remember if he did anything other than possibly be part of the reveal, when the ECW guys beat the poo poo out of Kane and Jericho.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was just talking about the most dominant stable of February to Early May 2001 in another thread

Best Jorts in the Game
Best Shirtless Overalls in the Game
Honestly maybe the 6th best Leather Pants

bartok
May 10, 2006

I loved Ice Train especially his feud, team-up as Fire and Ice, and subsequent break-up with Scott Norton. I loved that Great American Bash match against the Steiner Brothers. Just four beefy lads beating the holy gently caress out of each other.
His entrance music also kicked rear end. It sounds like something from a late era Sega Genesis game like a Vectorman or The Ooze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2xiRO1ork

Wendell
May 11, 2003

bartok posted:

I loved Ice Train especially his feud, team-up as Fire and Ice, and subsequent break-up with Scott Norton. I loved that Great American Bash match against the Steiner Brothers. Just four beefy lads beating the holy gently caress out of each other.
His entrance music also kicked rear end. It sounds like something from a late era Sega Genesis game like a Vectorman or The Ooze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG2xiRO1ork

Hahahaha, that’s exactly what it sounds like! Awesome.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've always had a big dumb soft spot for The Ascension for reasons I can't quite identify. They just lasted SO LONG, through FCW, NXT, the main roster, and every dumb repackaged look WWE threw at them, whether it was Matrix Goths, or Stargate Vampires, or Illuminati Clowns or whatever their face paint thing was. They were never a particularly good team, but they were fun and I miss them. I'm glad to hear they're still together with the same gimmick on the indies, and that WWE didn't pull some IP bullshit on them.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I will always love Yoshi Tatsu

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

I will always love Yoshi Tatsu

Hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Hahahaha, that’s exactly what it sounds like! Awesome.

Yo that theme is a BOP.