Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

It'll definitely get detected if a hostile vehicle actually tries to enter its square. It might be as simple as "is in same square" regardless of who ran into who because the remaster definitely has issues with units somehow existing in the same tile. Guard towers have 1-tile sight range on stealth tanks, too.

Besides, the real useless Nod units are the SSM and the chem warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Narmer posted:

So other than the secret dinosaur/ant missions and the production videos, are there any other secrets or unlockable content in this?

There is also pre-release music, some photos of WW circa 1995; it's not all production videos although that's the vast majority.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mordja posted:

Am I wrong or is TD stealth tank just kinda not worth it, at least against the AI. It doesn't do the sheer burst damage that TS/C&C3's does and seems to get detected almost at random. I feel better served just reverting to light and flame tanks.

The only use I had was sending packs of them after the enemy Harvesters. Then as soon as enemies showed up I would move to stealth tanks so they'd re-stealth and the enemy would leave.

Of course doing this, would make a large pack of enemy tanks drive towards your base. So you had best have a few Obilisks built.
And some SAM sites.
And the Power plants to back them up.

And for all the same resources you could have bought like 20-30 Light Tanks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Stealth tank needs double its hp to be good. Its pathetic atm imo and thats a she for something hyped up as Nods super weapon.

For AI harvester ganking I just use like 6 recon bikes.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The stealth tank was a bit of a leap in technology for the terrorist group that doesn't even manufacture its own tanks. All of a sudden Kane is talking about his prototype being stolen by GDI and I have questions about the organization's infrastructure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mordja posted:

Am I wrong or is TD stealth tank just kinda not worth it, at least against the AI. It doesn't do the sheer burst damage that TS/C&C3's does and seems to get detected almost at random. I feel better served just reverting to light and flame tanks.

You can kill harvesters with very little babysitting. Only takes a couple

Vakal
May 11, 2008
For some reason I always thought the Red Alert spy would shut down the enemy power grid if you got them into a power plant, but I guess that wasn't a thing until RA2.

It really does limit their usefulness.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

The stealth tank was a bit of a leap in technology for the terrorist group that doesn't even manufacture its own tanks. All of a sudden Kane is talking about his prototype being stolen by GDI and I have questions about the organization's infrastructure.

And don't forget the obelisks! Big geometric forms implied to be AI housings with somewhat otherworldly architectural details with powerful and unerring ray attacks. Contrast that with a couple guys in a tower aiming machine guns or targeting missiles like GDI gets.

It's almost like there's a lot more going on with Nod than you'd think from the early briefings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Vakal posted:

For some reason I always thought the Red Alert spy would shut down the enemy power grid if you got them into a power plant, but I guess that wasn't a thing until RA2.

It really does limit their usefulness.

If you get them into Sub Pens you get a Sonar Pulse that can locate enemy subs. Sometimes.
It doesn't always work.

Or you can get them inside an enemy air field and you get a free airstrike.
Sometimes.
It doesn't always work.

You can also have them infiltrate a number of buildings like the Tech Centre or Battle Centre which often does nothing, but wastes your spy.

At least in RA2 they made them a lot clearer what they did.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

This wiki page lists the effects that spies have on infiltrated buildings, which isn't very impressive. About the only thing that is even remotely desirable is the Sonar Pulse (the desirability is lessened due to the fact that it's apparently single use). Also of note is that if the Soviets gain access to the spy unit a few of the effects are different from the Allied ones for some reason.

https://cnc.gamepedia.com/Spy_(Red_Alert_1)

Chronojam posted:

And don't forget the obelisks! Big geometric forms implied to be AI housings with somewhat otherworldly architectural details with powerful and unerring ray attacks. Contrast that with a couple guys in a tower aiming machine guns or targeting missiles like GDI gets.

It's almost like there's a lot more going on with Nod than you'd think from the early briefings.

hmm but i thought that tiberium only gave nod a huge financial advantage hmm something fishy is goin on here :thunk:

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 26, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly both of these games are really janky and weird in a lot of ways, to the point where even with the remaster, i really wouldn't suggest someone with no nostalgia for these games buy it. TS/RA2 was really the start of the C&C games being playable by modern standards, even setting aside technical considerations, and the QOL stuff the remaster adds is nice but it only really goes so far.

but, as someone who played way, way, way too much TD and RA1 as a kid... it's proof that, even after all these years, you can't kill the messiah.

I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL MAN

e: that said, the story has aged loving magnificently. like, both of these games are lowkey CSPAM as hell, TD is basically neolibs vs space Posadists (I don't really get the conception of them as fash, their whole thing seems to be more "tiberium = fully automated luxury space communism, not cancer apocalypse") and RA1 is literally half wild-rear end soviet politicking. i suspect for a lot of people who didn't grow up on these games it's gonna be a situation where they love the story and absolutely hate the gameplay.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 26, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Makes me laugh that both RA campaigns end with Stalin being murdered

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

honestly both of these games are really janky and weird in a lot of ways, to the point where even with the remaster, i really wouldn't suggest someone with no nostalgia for these games buy it. TS/RA2 was really the start of the C&C games being playable by modern standards, even setting aside technical considerations, and the QOL stuff the remaster adds is nice but it only really goes so far.

but, as someone who played way, way, way too much TD and RA1 as a kid... it's proof that, even after all these years, you can't kill the messiah.

I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL, I'M A MECHANICAL MAN

e: that said, the story has aged loving magnificently. like, both of these games are lowkey CSPAM as hell, TD is basically neolibs vs space Posadists (I don't really get the conception of them as fash, their whole thing seems to be more "tiberium = fully automated luxury space communism, not cancer apocalypse") and RA1 is literally half wild-rear end soviet politicking. i suspect for a lot of people who didn't grow up on these games it's gonna be a situation where they love the story and absolutely hate the gameplay.

Hell yeah, this. Also the acting is pretty hilarious in some points.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I don't really get the conception of them as fash, their whole thing seems to be more "tiberium = fully automated luxury space communism, not cancer apocalypse"

I think the problem is that Nod in TD doesn't really have a motive beyond "oppose GDI" so they're pretty open to interpretation on whether that's good or bad. Yeah, Kane is in love with tiberium, but it doesn't really go into "why" all that much. If your reading is "GDI = good guys" which is certainly the expected reading at least at a surface level then it makes sense to assume that the other guys must be bad. Plus all the red theming, the Hand literally grasping the world, etc. I mean yeah that reasoning falls apart if you look at for more than ten seconds, but it's not like there was much else to go on until TS came around.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there a fan patch or anything to fix the hosed balance in TW's campaign? I really loved it when it came out :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fuligin posted:

Is there a fan patch or anything to fix the hosed balance in TW's campaign? I really loved it when it came out :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So are repair pads actually worth it?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I know it’s fun to role play as a Nod zealot, but I’m not really sure where you’re getting the “Glorious Space Communists who are totally not a personality cult for a megalomaniac” from, they’re pretty clearly The Bad Guys what with...everything about them other than opposing the UN (and opposing the UN usually goes hand-in-hand with the worst kind of right-wing fascist trash, at least here in America)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

power crystals posted:

I think the problem is that Nod in TD doesn't really have a motive beyond "oppose GDI" so they're pretty open to interpretation on whether that's good or bad. Yeah, Kane is in love with tiberium, but it doesn't really go into "why" all that much. If your reading is "GDI = good guys" which is certainly the expected reading at least at a surface level then it makes sense to assume that the other guys must be bad. Plus all the red theming, the Hand literally grasping the world, etc. I mean yeah that reasoning falls apart if you look at for more than ten seconds, but it's not like there was much else to go on until TS came around.
It's all GI Joe. Nod's just Cobra with a different animal and it's best not to dig into their motivations being cackling bad guys lest you discover their leader's actually an immortal alien from outer space or something.

Chev fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 27, 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mordja posted:

They repair 4 hp a tick but the big WTF is repairs cost 50% of unit cost in TD.

RA2 has it at 15% iirc which is much better.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Repair pads are also required for some units to be built. TD repair pads give you Mammoth Tanks and RA repair pads give you MCVs. You won't need these units all the time but sometimes you may have to build them just to open up your tech tree as opposed to using them for their intended purpose. Also yeah RA repair pad costs are way more reasonable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sheen Sheen posted:

I know it’s fun to role play as a Nod zealot, but I’m not really sure where you’re getting the “Glorious Space Communists who are totally not a personality cult for a megalomaniac” from, they’re pretty clearly The Bad Guys what with...everything about them other than opposing the UN (and opposing the UN usually goes hand-in-hand with the worst kind of right-wing fascist trash, at least here in America)

i mean... none of that is actually incompatible with what I said. you know what posadists are, right?

posadists are essentially the personality cult of a communist thinker from Argentina named J. Posadas, who believed that the destruction of civilization through atomic warfare was both inevitable and necessary for the birth of communism from the ashes, and that aliens most likely existed and would come help elevate us from those ashes.

make J. Posadas a white guy and replace nukes/UFOs with tiberium, and that's basically just Nod.

e: to be clear, this doesn't mean they're Actually Good; posadists are very much in the wacky batshit-crazy part of the left, to the point where in 2020 it's basically a meme ideology that people know from Chapo jokes more than from actual supporters existing. they're just also extremely distinct from fascists and don't really have a lot in common beyond "war good" and "weird dude at the top."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 27, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I remember making migs faster in ra1, and they'd overshoot and just lay on the ground when you'd try to repair them

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Mordja posted:

In any single-player mission, definitely. Online 1v1, no way. Online 4-player free for all, maybe.

Did they patch the route the harvesters take through ore fields? I don't like it.
*tells harvester to eat patch of crystals*
[harvester eats 1 crystal square and then wanders over 10 tiles to an ore square]
*tells harvester to eat patch of ore*
[harvester begins making pixel art with an erratic harvesting pattern that is guaranteed to make the ore field last not as long]

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 27, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And that's the NOD campaign done! On the one hand, some missions were more difficult and annoying due to their rough starts, on the other, light and flame tank spam was more cost effective than GDI's mediums/mammoths. The last mission was also easier given that the AI barely attacks, you've got a nuke instead of a useless, overhyped satellite laser, and your base doesn't get blown up when you get too close to the end. The biggest problem I had was not realizing I was stuck on an island and I built too many units to blow up that outpost.

Anyways, Soviets next and then I might gently caress around with some of the expansions but I probably won't get far with them. Wondering if I should then move on to TS or wait and hold out hope that a remaster for C&C 2nd gen gets announced.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Legend!

Burns
May 10, 2008

Repair pads iirc also allow minelayers. I think allies lay AT mines and Soviets AP. I remember mining my friends ore resources for lols. Also, i loved covrring my base in them when losing to make his tanks go pop.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

TD Stealth tanks: build 4-5, micro them to the GDI base and have them shoot a hole in the wall out of range of base defences. Immediately order them to stop so they re-stealth before the AI sends their troops close enough. When inside do the same thing to their barracks and construction yard

Mass of light/flame tanks probably works faster, but camping the GDI base from the inside with stealth tanks is more fun.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Oh hey I answered my question! Just uncheck "aftermath units". I remember that was the expansion that introduced the limit, probably so you couldn't zerg rush super-powered tanks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What mordja said is right: RA hard mode was unchanged from the original. It wasn't a new addition like for Tib Dawn. Running south was always the "correct" strategy.

I went back and checked.

If you try mission 14 on Normal, you can absolutely gun down the soldiers with Tanya before they can fire. It's tough and you have to turn the game speed down to slowest just to be able to react fast enough, but on Normal you can definitely kill them.
I tried it again on Hard and you absolutely can't. Even if you can get Tanya in a position to shoot the soldier before he blows up the barrel (and that's a big if) I don't think she can kill him before he can get off the shot that blows up the barrels.

I put it down to the speed the units move at and the damage they take/deal differences between Normal and Hard.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This was loving hilarious. What a play.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Skipping out on some of the aftermath missions is a pretty big mistake

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

If you try mission 14 on Normal, you can absolutely gun down the soldiers with Tanya before they can fire. It's tough and you have to turn the game speed down to slowest just to be able to react fast enough, but on Normal you can definitely kill them.
I tried it again on Hard and you absolutely can't. Even if you can get Tanya in a position to shoot the soldier before he blows up the barrel (and that's a big if) I don't think she can kill him before he can get off the shot that blows up the barrels.

I put it down to the speed the units move at and the damage they take/deal differences between Normal and Hard.

When I played the final Allied mission I just moved Tanya south out of explosive barrel range.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

nimby posted:

When I played the final Allied mission I just moved Tanya south out of explosive barrel range.

Yeah, on Hard mode the only way to survive the first five seconds of the mission is to run south (which is like super counter intuitive.)
On Normal or Casual, you can run south, or you can shoot the Soviets around them and then continue on with the mission.

When I played Red Alert back in the early 90's, I just shot the soldiers. It was only playing it this Remastered on Hard that I had to eventually figure out that you had to run south.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I think I subconsciously remembered the time my friend and I spent on the campaign and just moved her south without trying to shoot the grenadier.

In the mission where you have to stop the nukes, I built up a mass of medium tanks, 1 apc of engineers and cleared a way through the trees in the north before triggering the 1 hour timer. Then I rushed in and got the building captured 4 minutes after the timer started because I remembered when we played it as kids, we spent nearly the whole hour disassembling the Soviet base before finishing it. Turns out the second part is impossible if you only have 5 minutes left.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Funnily in the remastered version it is quite possible.
The second part of the mission (the indoors part) is treated like a different mission. And you can select it from the mission select screen.

If you do it that way you are given a full hour to complete it.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
I like the patch making Hard in Tiberian dawn less absurd, reducing the bonuses/penalties generally from 20% to 10%. But given EA's insufficient playtesting I'll still prefer Hard-as-Normal over the new Hard, to have a smoother experience that doesn't get hung up deep into a mission on something imbalanced. Hard in RA should be fine if it's exactly original as claimed.

Problem is, the CONFIG.MEG files Axeil provided seem to cause crashes after the new patch. Maybe I should mod Tiberian Dawn myself based on https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/gzeikq/cc_remaster_tiberian_dawn_hard_difficulty_testing/ though would be nice if somebody has done it already post June 22 patch.

I see 2 workshop mods, one seems to restore vanilla remastered hard, the other 'Ballanced Hard Difficulty' seems to revert damage dealing to vanilla. For some reason the mods folder the game directs me to is empty, despite my having 2 mods, leaving me apparently no visibility into the mod files and what they actually do. I'd like copies of the mod files I could look at myself for this reason.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
modding in remastered is very early days and full of overwrite issues

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Spookydonut posted:

modding in remastered is very early days and full of overwrite issues

Indeed. Something to keep looking into though. Best thing for me now is probably following the reddit procedure and repeating this every patch. Should only take like 5 minutes each time, not too bad.

I also tested out area guard move in Tiberian dawn (Control+alt+click), you can do it into unexplored darkness, but your units will only retaliate if attacked. So it's safer than regular move in that sense but not as good as true attack move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anyone else think it's kind of odd that they force you into remastered graphics for multiplayer? not that i'm complaining, necessarily, i just don't really grok why you can't toggle it like you can offline.

tangentially related, i'm having a weird issue with red alert where for some reason i'm more or less locked into classic graphics offline. holding down space bar makes it go to remastered, but as soon as i let go it's back to that chunky 1996 goodness. this seems... less than ideal. googling tells me it's related to remapping the key, but i haven't done that, it's still just space.

e: also it's funny how TD has barely any maps and the ones that are there mostly kind of suck, whereas RA1 has like a fuckzillion maps and a lot of really good 4p/8p ones, but only three 2p maps, two of which are similarly kind of balls