Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Megaforce also had tick tanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

bees x1000 posted:

I was going to wait/hope for TS/RA2 collection, but get that Veterancy mod for RA and I'm gonna have to buy this.

Creator says an RA port is coming.

Slavik
May 10, 2009

Chronojam posted:

At the time, Micro Machines military forces were also available in the same colors as GDI and Nod, so you could play along with toy medium tanks and Nod buggies.

Hell yeah :hfive: never did have a buggy but had most of the other real life counter-parts.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The construction yard is the brain bug of the AI base(s). Kill it and you will win. Engineer rushing enemy bases in TD is so entertaining.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This continues to be a neat thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzDnItTXCo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I hate this for making me realize how weird the perspective is in TD/RA

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fallom posted:

I hate this for making me realize how weird the perspective is in TD/RA

Your brain wants to see it as something like 45 degrees but iirc it's really closer to 60 for buildings and 15 for infantry (and who knows what the gently caress is up with the GDI AGT).

The later isometric games were really a dimetric orthogonal view, at 30 degrees. So it's jarring as hell to put them together.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm terrible at RTS games but I loved the poo poo out of these games back in college and remember beating both GDI and Nod campaigns. This time around I'm really struggling with some of the middle GDI missions. I'm on the one where you need to take out Nod turrets so that Carter can bring in his boats or guys or whatever and it's driving me nuts. I think the main thing that's different this time is that I'm just not as patient as I used to be and I don't spend enough time building up overwhelming forces. But then again it's also boring to build a zillion Grenadiers and just zerg everything.

I really love everything about this remaster though. They thought of everything and did such a good job updating the graphics and cutscenes and music. I just wish buildings had rally points. I saw the mod that adds that but I don't want the troop xp/levels thing. Are there any mods that only add rally points? Because that's literally my only gripe right now.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I think mod support could use some fine-tuning so you aren't limited mainly to which single monolithic mod you want to use, but other than that I'm ready to pre-order the dang RA2/TS Remaster.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was surprised by how much I liked the new graphics. They nailed the feeling of “this is how I remember the game with rose tinted glasses.” Jumping back to the old graphics doesn’t feel nostalgic, it just feels bad.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The rose-tinted glasses are why they gotta have the old graphics mode in. Just to prove they did in fact change the graphics.

For some reason I'm used to thinking spacebar should center the map on wherever the last announced event occurred. Is there a key for that?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

The rose-tinted glasses are why they gotta have the old graphics mode in. Just to prove they did in fact change the graphics.

For some reason I'm used to thinking spacebar should center the map on wherever the last announced event occurred. Is there a key for that?

I think that's a Blizzard RTS thing? I have the same reflex. Dunno if there's a rebind, but some other game got me in the habit of panning the camera with WASD so I had to rebind that.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

gary oldmans diary posted:

Tab

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm terrible at RTS games but I loved the poo poo out of these games back in college and remember beating both GDI and Nod campaigns. This time around I'm really struggling with some of the middle GDI missions. I'm on the one where you need to take out Nod turrets so that Carter can bring in his boats or guys or whatever and it's driving me nuts. I think the main thing that's different this time is that I'm just not as patient as I used to be and I don't spend enough time building up overwhelming forces. But then again it's also boring to build a zillion Grenadiers and just zerg everything.

I really love everything about this remaster though. They thought of everything and did such a good job updating the graphics and cutscenes and music. I just wish buildings had rally points. I saw the mod that adds that but I don't want the troop xp/levels thing. Are there any mods that only add rally points? Because that's literally my only gripe right now.

You don't need to build anything at all to kill those turrets, and I think killing just one will trigger the boats, which immediately suicide into an obelisk anyway.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mordja posted:

You don't need to build anything at all to kill those turrets, and I think killing just one will trigger the boats, which immediately suicide into an obelisk anyway.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926664&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post505541997

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah I tried that yesterday, attacking their harvester to move units away from their power plants. I obviously needed more units back at my base because they slammed me.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

The CFE patch should do what you want with minimal other changes (they're configurable in an INI file)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2121899275

The only issue is the author is no longer working on it so if a new patch comes out that breaks mods this might no longer work (unless someone else forks it)

Edit: Are there any rumors of a TS/RA2 remaster? I'd certainly get it but if all we get is this one I'm happy enough. It's just that wasn't this remaster triggered by finding the behind-the-scenes tapes? And even then this was still years of work making me think that this was a one-off and not part of a plan to remaster everything.

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 13, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also I've posted this in other threads but IMO an acceptable alternate reading of Tiberian Dawn is that it is basically an unlicensed GI-JOE game, with NOD as COBRA.

I always figured the first game was Tom Clancy novels (he kinda disappeared from the cultural zeitgeist quickly, didn't he?). Then Renegade went full Saturday morning cartoons with red and black Nod tanks, but TD itself made a token effort to base the low and mid-tier units on real-world designs.

Well okay before the invisible tanks and the giant two-barrelled tanks show up. Always wanted a mammoth tank model.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

FYI pretty much all of the veterancy mod's effect are configurable so it looks like you might be able to disable unit veterancy if that's what you want

Mod INI file posted:

[FEATURES]
VETERANCY=1
APC_PASSENGER_FIRE=1
COMMANDO_BUFF=1
ASTAR_PATHING=1
OOM_REPAIR=1
RALLY_POINTS=1
SAFE_SABOTAGE=1
HARVY_SELF_REPAIR=1
TECH_UPGRADES=1
FRIENDLY_FIRE=0

[VISUAL_SETTINGS]
SHOW_GUARD_ICON=1
SHOW_BULLET_ICON=1

[AUDIO_SETTINGS]
PLAY_HELI_RELOAD_SOUND=1
PLAY_LEVEL_UP_SOUND=1
PLAY_ALIEN_RIFLE_SOUND=1

[GENERAL_SETTINGS]
BUILDING_GAP=2
WALL_BUILD_LENGTH=5
WALLS_HAVE_FULL_COST=1

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Thanks. I'm a moron because I didn't realize you could build helicopters. That will help.

There's a LOT about this game I forgot.

nexus6 posted:

FYI pretty much all of the veterancy mod's effect are configurable so it looks like you might be able to disable unit veterancy if that's what you want

Thanks. I'll fiddle with it after I beat this mission.

EDIT: OK I am apparently the dumbest person because I cannot figure out how to build helipads on this mission. I've built every building I can build and none of them let me build helipads or copters.

EDIT2: I figured it out. You take out some turrets and get a heli as a reinforcement. I didn't do that early because I didn't want the boats getting obliterated. I just built a 2nd harvester, a shitload of tanks, and zerged with them from the upper path. Lazy but effective.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 13, 2020

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
nexus6 that's cool, I'd like to try the veterancy mod and disable almost everything but A* pathfinding. But I'm confused about how this modding is meant to be done.

A. Subscribing to mods through the steam workshop on the website when signed into steam never results in their showing up on my mods list in-game
B. Can't download the mod directly from the steam workshop.
C. I've used the site that archives the steam workshop to download files manually and replace them and it's worked once or twice. Is this the intended solution for the Veterancy mod?
D. Veterancy mod doesn't exist in the in-game workshop.
E. Even after I've downloaded mods through the in-game workshop, their files never appear anywhere I can modify. I can't modify by hand files that apparently don't exist locally. The mod folder in Documents is always empty even when I'm running mods.
F. Veterancy is a DLL mod, apparently there can only be one. Are you supposed to do DLL mods through the steam or in-game workshop at all?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Go here, click subscribe:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2157643234

Run game, it will install the mod, it might need to start and restart.

You will find the settings for that mod here (from the Steam install directory):
\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\1213210\[yourSteamID]\Veterancy\CCDATA\DEFAULT.MOD.INI

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 15, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Loxbourne posted:

Then Renegade went full Saturday morning cartoons with red and black Nod tanks, but TD itself made a token effort to base the low and mid-tier units on real-world designs.

The early previews looked a lot more gritty or grounded, but then there was a redesign and the original main character only exists as an oddly detailed NPC in the tutorial.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Eregos posted:

nexus6 that's cool, I'd like to try the veterancy mod and disable almost everything but A* pathfinding. But I'm confused about how this modding is meant to be done.

A. Subscribing to mods through the steam workshop on the website when signed into steam never results in their showing up on my mods list in-game
B. Can't download the mod directly from the steam workshop.
C. I've used the site that archives the steam workshop to download files manually and replace them and it's worked once or twice. Is this the intended solution for the Veterancy mod?
D. Veterancy mod doesn't exist in the in-game workshop.
E. Even after I've downloaded mods through the in-game workshop, their files never appear anywhere I can modify. I can't modify by hand files that apparently don't exist locally. The mod folder in Documents is always empty even when I'm running mods.
F. Veterancy is a DLL mod, apparently there can only be one. Are you supposed to do DLL mods through the steam or in-game workshop at all?

I've had a weird issue where if I go to my mods list it will appear blank, then after a few seconds it will list them. It also blanks out all the checkboxes too so I have to be quick to enable it and save.

For me the process has been:
  • Subscribe via the workshop
  • Launch game
  • Go to Options > Mods
  • When list appears click checkbox next to Veterancy mod and save
  • It will prompt you that you need to restart the game

When it gets updated you shouldn't need to do anything. I leave the mods screen alone as every time I open it it disables all my mods.

To change settings it should put a INI text file in My documents > CnCRemastered > Mods > Veterancy folder

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nexus6 posted:

I've had a weird issue where if I go to my mods list it will appear blank, then after a few seconds it will list them.
I would guess that is the game checking the mods folder to see what is there.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That happens to me all the time.

Like whenever I go into the Mods section of the game, the list of mods goes blank every few seconds. If I try and switch on another mod, there is a good chance all of them get switched off. So if I want to put on mods I have to click them as fast as possible and hit Apply Mods before it goes blank.

I'd love to know why it does that.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Thanks guys, between all that was enough for me to sort out the bug and get the mods configured.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beta patch with LAN play is out. This should also let you use VPN software to play against people while using mods.

quote:

Today we are inviting you to try a Beta version of our in-development patch, which most importantly includes an early version of LAN Play. Our goal in sharing this Beta version is to get your feedback on LAN Play and ensure this feature is living up to your expectations. We’re looking for both qualitative and technical feedback on the feature, especially with regards to playing multiplayer LAN games with Mods enabled (either locally or over VPN). We reinforce this is an early version, and certain elements (including AI) may not work correctly in LAN play just yet.

Everyone who owns the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection on Steam is able to participate in this Beta version of the game. Please follow these steps to gain access:

Go to your C&C Remastered Collection page on Steam
Click on the Manage button (gear icon)
Select Properties
Navigate to the Betas tab
In the dialog box, enter “TDRABetaPatch1”
Click Check Code
Once the code accepts, select the “Public Beta” branch from the drop down menu
The game will now update to the Public Beta version, at which point you can play
At any time, you can update back to the standard live version via the same drop down menu
Please note, there are several dozen other improvements in this Beta version, which we’ll list out in more detail when the patch is officially released. However, please keep an eye out for these key items:

The ability to choose the speed of Tiberium / Ore regrowth. This is now a slider in the game rules section. (0 being disabled, 1 being default, and 2-9 being multiples on default). We’re eager to see if this feature satisfies requests from the community, and we’re also looking for feedback on what the new Quickmatch default regrowth setting should be.
If you saw increased framerate stuttering or launch crashing after the June major patch versus the launch version, we have an experiment you can try:
Go to your C&C Remastered Collection page on Steam
Click on the Manage button (gear icon)
Select Properties
On the General tab, select “Set Launch Options…”
In the box, enter “NOSPLASHPRELOAD”
Click OK and launch the game
This will effectively revert the texture optimizations we made in the June Patch, and may help performance / stability with certain hardware configurations (This launch option will also work with the standard live branch as well)
Please note, while playing in the Beta version, online play will be disabled and certain mods may not be compatible. Please play the Beta version and alter Launch options with caution and understand there may be a risk.

https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/hrrh2y/remaster_update_and_july_beta_patch/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big (optional) balance changes for TD multiplayer and a small tweak to RA multiplayer, plus a harvester AI fix in the beta patch:

quote:

The Nod Cargo Plane delivery time has been normalized
There was overwhelming support for this change in the thread. The time has been normalized to 4 seconds on Normal speed in this version, but we are likely going to increase this to 5 or 6 seconds based on our own playtesting. Please try this out in Skirmish or LAN and let us know how it feels. (Note, the plane will now sometimes spawn in the middle of the map to accommodate this behavior. We initially had it with the Cargo Plane speed increased, and just looked kinda ridiculous…)
The Weapons Factory health has been increased
There was also strong support for this change, with the suggested health numbers ranging quite broadly. We decided to start with a 30% health increase, and are looking for feedback if this feels meaningful enough to make the desired impact.
The Naval structures have been removed from the victory condition
There was unanimous support for this change, and this has now been implemented. The game should end if a player only has Naval structures remaining (Or only an MCV in a Transport).
To address the TD Engineer / APC issue, the APC now has the Repair Facility as a pre-requisite to build
This was the topic that garnered the most activity, and it was a healthy discussion in the thread. Based on our observations, over 50% of the community who commented voted in the direction of changing the APC to be attached to the Repair Facility. So we decided to go with that approach, and would be eager to hear how this changes the Engineer / APC rush dynamic. Obviously it won’t be as easy to judge this until it’s available in formal Quickmatch, but any early reactions to build order, etc. would be helpful.
Harvester improvements
In the June patch we made some changes to the Harvester logic, which caused some unintended ripple effects. We’ve aimed to address a few key items in this patch:
The docking priority should now be properly overridden with a docking command
The Harvester should no longer freeze for several seconds in this docking procedure
In Red Alert, the Harvester should better prioritize Gems if they’re in the an adjacent cell
Please try these new behaviors in Skirmish and let us know if the Harvester is getting closer to your expectations
AI in LAN Mode
Over the past week we’ve made improvements on getting AI to be compatible with LAN mode. If you’re able to try LAN with other players, please add some AI and let us know how it’s performing for you.

https://old.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/hwid13/balance_update_and_quickmatch_ladder_community/

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Love sending my harvester to a gem patch but after eating 1 square the driver sees a patch of regular ore in the far distance...

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Looking forward to this breaking my mods

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I would have preferred the super fast Nod cargo planes.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yes but instead of “reinforcements have arrived” the AI voice says “comin’ in hot!”

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
No clue if it's any good, but some guy's made a whole fan-campaign already.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2179635599

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Any good strats for Nod 8 (either)? These are infuriating and I don't remember how I beat them back in the day. I looked at some speedrun strats but I'm not sure if I have the dexterity to copy them.

I can eventually stabilize and keep the enemy contained but then the Tiberium is mostly gone and then I have to just sit there and wait for enough of it to grow back so I can build up enough stuff to breach the GDI base.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mordja posted:

No clue if it's any good, but some guy's made a whole fan-campaign already.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2179635599

"Already?" Pfft, he's over twenty years late

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Reddit user u/krnyoshi has made two excellent single player missions, they're both very challenging and carefully set up, hopefully we get a community making more maps like these.

Unpadded Landing (GDI mission with full tech tree, lots of tiberium and a well-defended Nod-base to fight your way into): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2162002569

Thunder Mountain (Nod map where you have to find the right strat to even stand a chance): https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2176820130%C2%A0%C2%A0

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Just do it up!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

There are a lot of people out here these days claiming to be a "mechanical man". I would like to set the record straight once and for all; I am, in fact, a mechanical man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Wrr posted:

There are a lot of people out here these days claiming to be a "mechanical man". I would like to set the record straight once and for all; I am, in fact, a mechanical man.

You've made yourself a target