Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Wrr posted:

There are a lot of people out here these days claiming to be a "mechanical man". I would like to set the record straight once and for all; I am, in fact, a mechanical man.

Well then you should return to base immediately after that great shot you just made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I really miss that PLUNGPLUNGPLUNGPLUNG sound when counting your score after a mission. Maybe there's a mod that'll restore it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Might be interesting solely for the interview:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

THE BAR posted:

I really miss that PLUNGPLUNGPLUNGPLUNG sound when counting your score after a mission. Maybe there's a mod that'll restore it.

That screen seems buggy and unfinished as hell

Surprised they haven't revisited it yet

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Fallom posted:

That screen seems buggy and unfinished as hell

Surprised they haven't revisited it yet

esportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesportsesports

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Anyone? Nod 8? Anyone?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well for either one but especially the B variant, keeping that Transport Chopper alive is key. If you play the B version, aka the one where your damaged base starts in the upper right, you can sneak a force of engies to the north west of the GDI base where all their silos are. Cap those for tons of extra credits but watch out for the Adv. Guard Tower, it can't hit the far western part of the silos so that is a safe place to build a Hand of Nod after selling a silo or two. Use Rocket Infantry to break down the wall along the west of the base and don't attack any buildings, the AI usually doesn't pay them any mind but might want to quick save before hand. Once the wall is clear all the way to the Con. Yard sneak an engi down to it and cap and sell it. From there you can use engies to take over the Power Plants and after a few are down the Adv. Guard Tower turns off and you have free reign to cap/destroy the War Factory and Barracks. Attacking the Harvester to draw out any defenders helps if the AI is keeping a guard in their base. Also luring out the OCRAs and sniping em with Rocket Infantry before capping the Silos helps make sure nothing will really mess with your capture operations. This is what I used to eventually win that map.

The A version is a bit rougher, but if you lure out and kill the OCRAs you can land by their Helipads after scouting out the area to their south and use some Rocket Infantry to free a fenced in crate. Its then a quick jog over to the War Factory and Barracks followed by Silos and Con. Yard. Once again attacking the Harvester will clear out the base if you need to. As for surviving early on either one, honestly I just got fed up and sandbag tricked the ai and blocked up the various ways into my base. Hope this helps, this mission was a major wall back in the day for me for quite a while, and it was only once I learned to keep that fragile Transport Chopper alive that I was able to get past it.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Mordja posted:

Might be interesting solely for the interview:

In case you missed it, the interview is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDyNVZeHdh4

Splorange fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 9, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

UED Special Ops posted:

Well for either one but especially the B variant, keeping that Transport Chopper alive is key. If you play the B version, aka the one where your damaged base starts in the upper right, you can sneak a force of engies to the north west of the GDI base where all their silos are. Cap those for tons of extra credits but watch out for the Adv. Guard Tower, it can't hit the far western part of the silos so that is a safe place to build a Hand of Nod after selling a silo or two. Use Rocket Infantry to break down the wall along the west of the base and don't attack any buildings, the AI usually doesn't pay them any mind but might want to quick save before hand. Once the wall is clear all the way to the Con. Yard sneak an engi down to it and cap and sell it. From there you can use engies to take over the Power Plants and after a few are down the Adv. Guard Tower turns off and you have free reign to cap/destroy the War Factory and Barracks. Attacking the Harvester to draw out any defenders helps if the AI is keeping a guard in their base. Also luring out the OCRAs and sniping em with Rocket Infantry before capping the Silos helps make sure nothing will really mess with your capture operations. This is what I used to eventually win that map.

The A version is a bit rougher, but if you lure out and kill the OCRAs you can land by their Helipads after scouting out the area to their south and use some Rocket Infantry to free a fenced in crate. Its then a quick jog over to the War Factory and Barracks followed by Silos and Con. Yard. Once again attacking the Harvester will clear out the base if you need to. As for surviving early on either one, honestly I just got fed up and sandbag tricked the ai and blocked up the various ways into my base. Hope this helps, this mission was a major wall back in the day for me for quite a while, and it was only once I learned to keep that fragile Transport Chopper alive that I was able to get past it.

Thank you!

I figured there was some kind of cheese strat because it doesn't seem possible to do the standard "build tons of tanks and overrun everything" garbage I usually lean on.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/WHCa2SZ.mp4

Uh... okay? First time I've seen three vehicles on the SD at once. RA95 would frequently let two sit there (only one at a time would be repaired however), but this is another level.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Firmly in the "feature" column.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The RA QoL mod lets you set a rally point for the repair pad and it owns so much

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
There's an annoying thing in the TD remaster where if a lot of vehicles are trying to get through a choke point created by neutral buildings, they'll attack those buildings, even if they are something like a flame tank that will do splash damage to your own units.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spookydonut posted:

There's an annoying thing in the TD remaster where if a lot of vehicles are trying to get through a choke point created by neutral buildings, they'll attack those buildings, even if they are something like a flame tank that will do splash damage to your own units.

They even attack trees, as I found out the hard way when all my infantry got torched by an impatient Flame Tank while attempting to cross a nearby bridge.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Flame attacks can't even remove trees. Idiot tank. :argh:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

"There, all the leaves are gone, now I can go around this tree and cross the bridge." -- Flame Tank

Needless to say it prompted a restart. Dumb no-base mission and all that.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

All the leaves gone
And the sky is gray
I've been on a march
on a flame tank's day

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

winter days kick rear end. seasons rule. gently caress california. the original nod campaign has more greenery in it than california

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I finally got off my rear end and finished the Soviet campaign.

Did they change the final map? I could have sworn there was a whole lot of mines around the starting area - to the point where they frequently blocked base construction.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nostalgamus posted:

Did they change the final map? I could have sworn there was a whole lot of mines around the starting area - to the point where they frequently blocked base construction.

Far as I can tell the campaign mission files are unchanged

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Nostalgamus posted:

The mines are still there but with the V2s and general pandemonium in the opening sequence I'm sure a lot of them can be detonated without noticing. It's fun though, only vanilla RA mission I had to retry multiple times to complete.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have been messing around with mods now that I have beaten both TD and RA but the best mod by far is everyone shooting obelisk lasers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfffTQwUKM

This does break the game. Might be fun for a mission or two for the ones you hate.

Any goons play this online?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I do like the bonus mission (in the n64 section i think) where your orcas shoot obelisk beams.
Also the RA1 mission with the experimental nuke-equipped mig you can capture.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
The sega saturn I remembered having a cheat where your orcas can shoot lasers and it was awesome.

I kinda felt bad that was how I got introduced to command and conquer. I rented that game from blockbuster and didn't know you could play as nod until like a couple years later when I finally got the game for christmas. You could imagine my face being able to play as nod back then. I was like "Oh so thats why when you load the game it says 'GDI disc detected, to play the Brotherhood of Nod missions; please insert the Nod disc".

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Katamari Democracy posted:

I have been messing around with mods now that I have beaten both TD and RA but the best mod by far is everyone shooting obelisk lasers.

It turns Rocket Soldiers, Recon Bikes and Mammoth Tanks into impossibly long-ranged monsters.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Oh, right. I've never actually finished Legacy of Tesla before.

How are you supposed to deal with 2 nukes per minute? Just try to win the map before they start sending the plane at you?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nostalgamus posted:

Oh, right. I've never actually finished Legacy of Tesla before.

How are you supposed to deal with 2 nukes per minute? Just try to win the map before they start sending the plane at you?

So if you go to the left of the map there is a small Allied base next to the coast.

If you can capture that you can capture their Naval Yard and you have access to the water.

I found if you built a sub pen or another Naval yard just south of the Naval Yard that was there, you would have structures that were far enough away from your new base that if they were nuked wouldn't hit the rest of your base.

Now the Nuke is only enough to damage but not destroy a Naval Base/Sub Pen.

So as long as you kept repairing it they would just keep attacking that structure over and over again.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Do NOT attack or capture the Naval Yard under any circumstances while the enemy MiG exists else you'll activate it and have 30 minutes of misery in your hands. Leaving the Naval Yard alone (for now) ensures that the MiG will stay put until you invade the island housing it. By all means destroy/capture everything else in the small West base first then clear the waters with some Submarines and concentrate on pushing toward the South base for more resources. Capturing the Airfield is recommended, but also a bit of a bastard, since the MiG can and will bomb anything right next to it without a care in the world (which is an outcome I've received more than once -- it nukes my tanks and the Airfield disintegrates in the process, then the MiG fucks off outside the map for good leaving me with a stack of useless Engineers).

I don't know if advancing too far South does anything to activate the endless nuclear strikes, because all this stuff is something I (somehow) worked out back when I was 11 or 12 and had all the patience in the world. I've never looked at this map in RAED or any other map editor so I might be missing a few things, but generally speaking the Naval Yard is a no-go; just leave it alone until the MiG is yours/doesn't exist :v:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Do NOT attack or capture the Naval Yard under any circumstances while the enemy MiG exists else you'll activate it and have 30 minutes of misery in your hands. Leaving the Naval Yard alone (for now) ensures that the MiG will stay put until you invade the island housing it. By all means destroy/capture everything else in the small West base first then clear the waters with some Submarines and concentrate on pushing toward the South base for more resources. Capturing the Airfield is recommended, but also a bit of a bastard, since the MiG can and will bomb anything right next to it without a care in the world (which is an outcome I've received more than once -- it nukes my tanks and the Airfield disintegrates in the process, then the MiG fucks off outside the map for good leaving me with a stack of useless Engineers).

I don't know if advancing too far South does anything to activate the endless nuclear strikes, because all this stuff is something I (somehow) worked out back when I was 11 or 12 and had all the patience in the world. I've never looked at this map in RAED or any other map editor so I might be missing a few things, but generally speaking the Naval Yard is a no-go; just leave it alone until the MiG is yours/doesn't exist :v:

I just activated it and let it focus on that Naval Yard, while I rolled all the Tesla Tanks/Heavy Tanks south into the Allied main base. But your millage may vary.

I also came across a Mod (called Aircraft Super Power or something) that had a aircraft called the Valkyrie which was the Mig, but dropped Nukes.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Do NOT attack or capture the Naval Yard under any circumstances while the enemy MiG exists else you'll activate it and have 30 minutes of misery in your hands. Leaving the Naval Yard alone (for now) ensures that the MiG will stay put until you invade the island housing it.

Ah, that explains a lot. It seemed to nuke the Construction Yard the instant I captured it, but I had attacked the Naval Yard at that point as well.

I didn't capture the MiG, but oh well. Thanks for the help.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
News from EA: A new update will be out next week that adds beacon pinging and loading screen info to multiplayer. It will likely be the last patch for C&C Remastered. Also, the source code for the map editor has been released to help modders take things even further.

Incidentally, next week will be the 25th anniversary of Tiberian Dawn, with celebrations of some kind planned. Not sure I'd expect a new game or remaster announcement with how much the world has slowed down, but C&C Remastered was announced basically the moment it was greenlit, so who knows?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
drat I hope they roll out >4 player for TD and bigger map support.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

All in all I was pretty happy with the release. I beat TD and currently working on RA and all I can say is that I'm glad modding support was added so I could download some quality of life changes (like attack-moving). I also enjoyed watching the youtube videos that delved into the source code and talked about how the A.I. worked.

I'm really hoping TS and RA2 are next and get the same level of treatment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

I'm really hoping TS and RA2 are next and get the same level of treatment.

Same. Might be a lot of nostalgia but I remember RA2 being a lot more "accessible" and refined in terms of campaign design, and the unit/army variety was just so good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Kins posted:

News from EA: A new update will be out next week that adds beacon pinging and loading screen info to multiplayer. It will likely be the last patch for C&C Remastered. Also, the source code for the map editor has been released to help modders take things even further.

Incidentally, next week will be the 25th anniversary of Tiberian Dawn, with celebrations of some kind planned. Not sure I'd expect a new game or remaster announcement with how much the world has slowed down, but C&C Remastered was announced basically the moment it was greenlit, so who knows?

NGod willing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spookydonut posted:

Don't forget Dune2000 which while it wasn't done directly by westwood it still had frank doing the music and used the game engine, it came out before TS so didn't have isometric view.

Dune games are legend, and Dune 2000 was such a love letter to the origins of the genre. Too bad it'll never get a rerelease.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Oxyclean posted:

Same. Might be a lot of nostalgia but I remember RA2 being a lot more "accessible" and refined in terms of campaign design, and the unit/army variety was just so good.

RA2 was great for unit variety and Yuri's Revenge added loads more. If this gets a remake I'm there. RA1 is just a bit bland in comparison.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So this guy's making a mod that replaces all the unit graphics with new ones based on the cutscenes and cameos. The end result is a slightly more realistic design, but I think it still works. (Mod unit on the right.)

Mordja fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 14, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A new version of Shattered Paradise has been released.

A Tiberian Sun-based mod, it also makes the Forgotten, Cabal, and Scrin into playable factions. It currently features skirmish and multiplayer modes, but a campaign is in the works. The game runs on the OpenRA engine, so there's no need to own any other C&C to run it, you can just download the installer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I literally had no idea TibSun was even on OpenRA. I feel out of touch.