Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Man idk what I’d be more interested in: a full RA2/YR remake to the same level as the previous or Generals 2 but they would both be very high on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I actually think a Generals remaster would do more than one for RA2. The resolution is absolutely horrendous.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

THE BAR posted:

I actually think a Generals remaster would do more than one for RA2. The resolution is absolutely horrendous.

You can change the resolution with a simple INI edit, or install Gentool which lets you select. The bigger issue with (at least the earlier) SAGE engine games is their RAM and CPU limits so they can get pretty laggy as games go on, especially certain BFME2 mods with their big armies.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 13, 2021

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just trying to get the game to run on Xbox game pass for PC via EA pass.

Getting a weird "This game must be run as an administrator error"

As far as I can tell everything is, I've tried another EA pass game, it worked fine.

Baffled what to try next

If anyone else has experienced this and managed to fix it I'd be grateful.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Bit of semi-self-promotion time. World Axletree, a Chinese-made total conversion for Yuri's Revenge I did some localization work on just released its first English version. It does some really impressive stuff with the engine, give it a go! Needs RA2:YR installed.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/world-axletree/downloads/world-axletree-1-2pb-english-version

Be warned: Anime

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Coincidentally, another impressive Chinese C&C mod I helped out with also just came out. You gotta download the two files, but this one is standalone and doesn't even need YR
https://www.moddb.com/mods/eternal-cronus

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I can't imagine there's a better thread either. How has the Command & Conquer series been received in China? Obviously China was a faction in Generals, there's a Chinese modding community, and I seem to recall some mobile games that include C&C art assets. Are any of the games popular? How are GDI and Nod perceived politically/ideologically? Is the Chinese scene integrated with the "western" one, or is it unique?

bishibosh
Mar 15, 2021

YoursTruly posted:

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but I can't imagine there's a better thread either. How has the Command & Conquer series been received in China? Obviously China was a faction in Generals, there's a Chinese modding community, and I seem to recall some mobile games that include C&C art assets. Are any of the games popular? How are GDI and Nod perceived politically/ideologically? Is the Chinese scene integrated with the "western" one, or is it unique?

from what I've seen, Red Alert 2 and 3 specifically are really really popular over in China

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Red Alert 2 is hugely popular in China but apparently the funny story is it happened through a pirate release and specifically repackaging a mod that added an overpowered China faction. C&C itself is merely a footnote on Red Alert 2's glory (which is why Tencent went with it for their mobile game), and Generals isn't too liked because of its inaccurate (even within General's general tone) depiction of China.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chev posted:

and Generals isn't too liked because of its inaccurate (even within General's general tone) depiction of China.
Thaaaaat's not exactly true, at least in the modding community. While there aren't a tonne of Chinese-made Generals mods, there are a lot of Chinese-made mods for other C&C games, many of which add the PLA as a faction, most of which are heavily based on their Generals arsenal. There's even one semi-comedic YR mod that really emphasizes this, while also giving the US their own wacky signage.

It's interesting, the C&C modding community is one of the few where there's not a lot of friction between East and West, in fact there's a fair deal of collaboration what with the various engine upgrades and publicly shared graphics.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

Coincidentally, another impressive Chinese C&C mod I helped out with also just came out. You gotta download the two files, but this one is standalone and doesn't even need YR
https://www.moddb.com/mods/eternal-cronus

This looks awesome. Does one of the factions build with a worker unit? Was that hard to code in RA2?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Nichael posted:

This looks awesome. Does one of the factions build with a worker unit? Was that hard to code in RA2?

I got nothin' to do with the coding, I just came in near the end to make the English not sound too weird. :P

To answer your question, I think the unreleased, yellow faction kind of uses workers/Zerg drone logic from the look of it. One of the subfactions in the current version does have a unique build system where you can quickly place a structure but then your MCV has to move near it to actually complete the construction. Wizardry. Just about every contemporary RA2 mod uses a code injector to greatly expand the game's features, the Chinese community mostly uses a fork called HAres.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
TibSun's 22nd anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks, and the community's putting together a series of events to celebrate it. There's even some slight hope that a remaster will be announced at gamescom, but who knows?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

man, i'd love them to be doing more remasters. it seems like the natural progression, but who knows. been a lot of radio silence lately.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

man, i'd love them to be doing more remasters. it seems like the natural progression, but who knows. been a lot of radio silence lately.

We know they are working on RA2 for sure. They even had a poll on facebook of all places asking if people wanted to see a remaster (Like remastered collection) or a remake (new, possibly 3d engine, reworked gameplay). Remake won, which makes me very nervous. Nothing beyond that though...

Sininu fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 12, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sininu posted:

We know they are working on RA2 for sure. They even had a poll on facebook of all places asking if people wanted to see a remaster (Like remastered collection) or a remake (new, possibly 3d engine, reworked gameplay). Remake won, which makes me very nervous. Nothing beyond that though...

god that makes me hyped

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
All I want to do is Silent Spring a bunch of Mirage tanks like it was the early noughties again

Burns
May 10, 2008

TS remaster would be tits. Ive felt it was always the bastard child of CnC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If by that you mean "best looking" then yes, yes it was. :colbert:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RA 2 still plays and runs fine to this day.

Emperor: Battle for Dune though definitely could use a remaster. It sill looks great but the UI and pathfinding is god awful and good luck getting it to run on anything past Windows XP.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Vakal posted:

RA 2 still plays and runs fine to this day.

Emperor: Battle for Dune though definitely could use a remaster. It sill looks great but the UI and pathfinding is god awful and good luck getting it to run on anything past Windows XP.

I did get it working on W10 at some point, but yeah, it's pathfinding is real bad in a way that kind of makes it a chore. Funcom owns the Dune games IP tho so I doubt we'll ever see anything on that front.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I cut my RTS teeth on Dune II and even back then the flaws with the resource pool, AI economy, etc. were pretty obvious. Dune 2000 was pretty neat but not something I've ever been inclined to revisit.

A good, modern remaster of a Dune RTS would be really nice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

A good, modern remaster of a Dune RTS would be really nice.

Never gonna happen. Some dude did an internet sleuthing vid a while back and found that the Herbert estate is supremely not interested :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Funcom bought the Dune game rights, given the new movie is out all the rights went up for sale again (might higher asking price now) and we're getting Dune boardgames very soon and at least 3 projects from Funcom.

Funnily enough, with the Conan RTS game by Petroglyph last year, there might be another teamup with them for a Dune RTS at some stage... given they have some of the origian Dune II people still working there it would have come full circle. Except two of the games to be mobile/social media type of games though and who knows what the third will be, an RPG/action game possibly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

drunkill posted:

the Conan RTS game by Petroglyph last year,

Whaaaa? :aaaaa:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Never gonna happen. Some dude did an internet sleuthing vid a while back and found that the Herbert estate is supremely not interested :(

Oh well. They're cashing in with the new movie, I doubt some niche PC RTS is even a blip on their radar.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Ah i guess it was more of a tower defence, not an RTS. Either way...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/989690/Conan_Unconquered/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drunkill posted:

Ah i guess it was more of a tower defence, not an RTS. Either way...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/989690/Conan_Unconquered/

It's basically a They Are Billions style survival RTS, so big focus on base building and defending. Been kind of tempted to pick it up for the coop one of these days.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The big TS anniversary stream (which mostly seems to be a showcase for TS-related mods more than anything) has started over here it that's your thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

The big TS anniversary stream (which mostly seems to be a showcase for TS-related mods more than anything) has started over here it that's your thing.

dope, thanks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Big 'ol video for that TS+Renegade game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfniO-0pSSI&t=4605s

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Newest anniversary update is a new version of TS megamod Twisted Insurrection. NOD and GDI have been divided into subfactions, and there's a brand new playable race.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Twisted Insurrection is alot of fun

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

In the name of Kane!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Zero Hour's 18th anniversary is in a couple days and the community has been doing a big streaming celebration, you can find the schedule and info over here. Today they put on a big tournament with the VOD below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_E0YJqnsLI

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Another one of those big C&C Anniversary streams incoming, this one for Red Alert.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Red Alert 3 was a good game imo, but it became unfun to play when everyone discovered the best cheese strategies for each map and faction combination. I'm not saying every match should be no rush 20 minutes, but the constant barrage of early game all-ins was annoying. I think I got into the top 50s on 1v1 ladder just building Tengus and letting them explode next to enemy harvesters. Enemy MCVs running over my building pods was the bane of my existence, but I had no trouble sending fake barracks pods to drive over enemy dogs/bears/engineers/etc.

Why the third faction didn't get anti air infantry is baffling to me.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

YoursTruly posted:

Red Alert 3 was a good game imo, but it became unfun to play when everyone discovered the best cheese strategies for each map and faction combination. I'm not saying every match should be no rush 20 minutes, but the constant barrage of early game all-ins was annoying. I think I got into the top 50s on 1v1 ladder just building Tengus and letting them explode next to enemy harvesters. Enemy MCVs running over my building pods was the bane of my existence, but I had no trouble sending fake barracks pods to drive over enemy dogs/bears/engineers/etc.

My ascent up the RA3 ladder on the back of Soviet Twinblade/MiG Spam was only stymied by an annoying bug where occasionally your MiGs would hang in the air forever instead of returning to base to re-arm -- not even the force return-to-base button would fix it.

Ah, memories.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

YoursTruly posted:

In the expansion they did! Pretty good ones, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

Another one of those big C&C Anniversary streams incoming, this one for Red Alert.

Here's part of the schedule