Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Anyways, adding another "Oh god I'm 8 again, only the game has good graphics and the UI, while still the C&C sidebar, is modernized and sleek and awesome!" onto the pile. Love having a radar screen with a high enough definition I can actually see the tiberium/ore growing on a tile per tile basis.

Speaking of the sidebar, is there an option to show buildings and units at the same time, like in old RA1? I played the first two Allied missions over lunch and found the split a little annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Cool Gamer Tips for the Stolen Property (Belarus) GDI mission:

Don't ever stop, just keep going. You just need to reach the crate inside the base - attempting to fight anything is a fool's errand because the enemy can airdrop infinite enemies via helicopter (plus they have a tank, you don't). Make sure a grenadier is alive for the fence.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ErrEff posted:

Cool Gamer Tips for the Stolen Property (Belarus) GDI mission:

Don't ever stop, just keep going. You just need to reach the crate inside the base - attempting to fight anything is a fool's errand because the enemy can airdrop infinite enemies via helicopter (plus they have a tank, you don't). Make sure a grenadier is alive for the fence.

Yea I beat that mission with 1 apc and 1 grenadier left. :negative: I definitely should've beelined it for the crate instead of looping all the way around and sniping the Hand of Nod with some grenadiers from the cliff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So, before I go gushing about all the cool stuff and how I really like the game still, here is the stuff I noticed and did not like much:

There seems to be a bug where it doesn't display the amount of buildings destroyed at the end of missions, and that cool animation of the mcv exploding is sorely missed because of it.

The videos have bits that are obviously not fit to the scale of the new game, like an image of what is meant to be Egypt during Seth's speech that is just a blurred jpeg like someone was trying to protect the nation's identity. Some of the videos where actual stuff is fighting other stuff sorely needed a proper new set of graphics, because I can't make out what anything is supposed to be. And I don't mean "this looks bad" I mean I can't see what it is even supposed to be depicting.

Beyond that and some tiny issues with the controls, this is legit great though and a lot easier to play than the original. Nod continues to be the most fun, though not the strongest, faction.

Edit: Oh and the remixes are great, Kucan is still great, grenadiers can die in a fire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of the sidebar, is there an option to show buildings and units at the same time, like in old RA1? I played the first two Allied missions over lunch and found the split a little annoying.

No clue, but there are hotkeys now so you can switch between the tabs that way. Honestly the split is probably a better idea because otherwise once you tech up you're scrolling through 1,001 items, especially on the unit bar.

Kid me: "Aww yeah, the GDI is taking over the base, look at that APC crush that chain fence."
Adult me: "Oh gently caress that razor wire would get all up in that APC's axles and bearings and ruin everything in real life."

evilmiera posted:

So, before I go gushing about all the cool stuff and how I really like the game still, here is the stuff I noticed and did not like much:

There seems to be a bug where it doesn't display the amount of buildings destroyed at the end of missions, and that cool animation of the mcv exploding is sorely missed because of it.

The videos have bits that are obviously not fit to the scale of the new game, like an image of what is meant to be Egypt during Seth's speech that is just a blurred jpeg like someone was trying to protect the nation's identity. Some of the videos where actual stuff is fighting other stuff sorely needed a proper new set of graphics, because I can't make out what anything is supposed to be. And I don't mean "this looks bad" I mean I can't see what it is even supposed to be depicting.

Beyond that and some tiny issues with the controls, this is legit great though and a lot easier to play than the original. Nod continues to be the most fun, though not the strongest, faction.

Edit: Oh and the remixes are great, Kucan is still great, grenadiers can die in a fire.

The biggest threat to Grenadiers is still...other grenadiers so hooray for the game being honest to that!

Also some of the weird imagery is because they wanted to use the original videos BUT the original of the originals were lost to time (as in EA actively tried to help them find them but they still couldn't). So they had to upscale the mid-90's quality videos. I'm just glad I can see the picture entirely instead of having a bunch of horizontal stripes through the videos like I was watching through a vent cover.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 5, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

All I have are humvees and grenadiers, meanwhile the enemy has a bunch of light tanks they can roll over my entire squadron with.

Yes, this is classic C&C alright.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Yup, wiped out my strike force by not staggering my grenadiers. Welcome back, Commander.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man, the remastered versions of Act on Instinct and Hell March whip rear end, but Hell March 2 will always be the mother loving king

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's actually kinda funny because the original Hell March is just a little too sparse for my taste (which I'll grant the re-recording helps with), and then Hell March 3 is basically just 2 with a whole bunch of random extra poo poo on top and sounds kinda overly busy

but 2 is absolutely perfect, that loving feedbacky guitar that kicks in during the intro sample before it starts going hard gives me chills every time

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Spookydonut posted:

There's a preset kill limit, kill too many nod and it sets all units to hunt.

from my LP:

A lot going on here.

Okay first we have a bunch of all to hunt triggers.
Attack any vehicle or the turrets and everything comes after you.
Destroy any of the SAM sites in the base and everything comes after you.
Kill 20 units and everything comes after you.

That blew my mind. Counting up, between the start and the base there's 17 infantry you have to kill. So the more infantry that comes out of SAM sites when you destroy them the closer you get to hitting 20.

The cell triggers to the southeast of the base causes the two light tanks to hunt you.

The two SAM sites at the start cause the chinook to arrive when they get blown up.

Waypoint 25 is another of the special waypoints, it's the location of the flare effect when triggered. It get's triggered when you kill that northmost rocket soldier in the start area.

The AI is setup to replace destroyed buildings but
code:
[Base]
Count=0
There's nothing to rebuild.

There's a win if all enemies are destroyed but that's required by the engine I think.

The other win condition is linked to every building in the base that isn't a SAM site or turret.

See that minigunner next to waypoint 4 at the west base entry? Kill him and 4 flame troopers come after you. Well that's not actually true, they go to wp4 then wp12, wp4, wp6 and stay there. If you outrun them they'll not be a problem. Feels like they're missing a loop 0 at the end of their teamtype. They will definitely put you over the 20 unit limit.

Cool as gently caress. I always enjoyed that mission, but I'd always try to destroy all the sam sites, which is very difficult, and apparently completely pointless. Is there any difference between blowing up the airfield (the mission objective) and not? I think I recall that the next mission only had like two fewer light tanks or something trivial/minor like that.

e: AS for multiplayer I'd always win by spamming recon bikes as nod. Once you get like 10ish of them you can kill/run past any of GDI's forces and pop their barracks before they build counter infantry. 20 and you can kill their construction yard and tiberium refinery's before they can respond. Plus you can easily kill their harvester before they can stop you.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 6, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah oh god, Im awful at not murdering my own dudes because of grenadiers.

Also, AI is too drat good at crushing my infantry. This sure is C&C.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Cool as gently caress. I always enjoyed that mission, but I'd always try to destroy all the sam sites, which is very difficult, and apparently completely pointless. Is there any difference between blowing up the airfield (the mission objective) and not? I think I recall that the next mission only had like two fewer light tanks or something trivial/minor like that.

e: AS for multiplayer I'd always win by spamming recon bikes as nod. Once you get like 10ish of them you can kill/run past any of GDI's forces and pop their barracks before they build counter infantry. 20 and you can kill their construction yard and tiberium refinery's before they can respond. Plus you can easily kill their harvester before they can stop you.

If I remember correctly whatever building you pop the AI cannot rebuild in the next mission. So destroy the ConYard they can't rebuild buildings, destroy the Barracks, no infantry.

...Destroy the refinery, no money. :getin:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Uh-oh, ran into another bug. One of the Nod Mission Six variants (the one that ends in the southwest corner of the map) doesn't react to me getting my guys near the extraction point. Got the device on an engineer, if that matters.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What voodoo did they carry out on the videos? Were the originals downgraded that much to fit on a CDROM?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kin posted:

What voodoo did they carry out on the videos? Were the originals downgraded that much to fit on a CDROM?

if I remember correctly, the live-action stuff was straight-up shot on film, yeah. and compression for FMV tended to murder video quality back in those days.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Alkydere posted:

If I remember correctly whatever building you pop the AI cannot rebuild in the next mission. So destroy the ConYard they can't rebuild buildings, destroy the Barracks, no infantry.

...Destroy the refinery, no money. :getin:

This was the kind of stuff that made the game mind blowing back in 93 or whatever. Continuity between levels like that.

I’m so happy that this came out today. Exactly what I needed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Do they keep the glitch where grenadiers can throw across the map

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

if I remember correctly, the live-action stuff was straight-up shot on film, yeah. and compression for FMV tended to murder video quality back in those days.

Yup and no matter how hard they tried, they just could not find the originals. EA basically told them every storage place they could imagine the originals could have been stored and let the Remastered crew dig for them. Turns out apparently the originals were "stored" in a dumpster at some point. It was really heartbreaking because they found a bunch of really weird and old proprietary cassettes that looked like they might have the originals, spent a bunch of cash getting them digitized...only to find out they were just the same compressed files everyone already had a dozen times over.

On the plus side all this digging is why we have all the bonus footage.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Do not attempt to play Tanya's missions in RA on fast speeds. Those loving dogs.

I'm sure they're good dogs but please don't eat my mission-critical soldier.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Kin posted:

Here is one of the project leads at EA talking about the quest to find the master tapes.

(spoiler, they didn't) so they did the best they could with AI upscaling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikJLYYTrIxs

Edit:

Someone on reddit pointed out that tey changed the engineers face to totalbiscuit.

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Since we seem to be inadvertently keeping a running list of bugs/glitches I'll go ahead and add one to the pile:

I noticed that when I was playing a skirmish match in Tiberian Dawn switching between old and new graphics seemed to somehow clear the fog of war (FOW visible in HD graphics, FOW cleared in old graphics). I only played one skirmish match so I don't know if this is an easy glitch to replicate, but I only noticed this after I had already uncovered about 85% of the map. Fortunately, since you cannot switch between old and new graphics during online multiplayer games this glitch shouldn't really be and issue, but it's present at any rate.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Do they keep the glitch where grenadiers can throw across the map

No that’s one of the first things I tried and I couldn’t get it to work. They way I remember it was when the guy is about the chuck the grenade you would force target attack something across the map. Feels bad.

VALIS666
Jan 15, 2007

Fnord!
It always looked like they were doing all the right things when making this package, and after playing for a couple hours, it came out even better than I hoped it would. There are some things that take adjustment just because the game is so old (I think your troops have an awareness level of either "an enemy is right in front of me" or "an enemy is shooting me"), but they did add a lot of nice, modern RTS touches like right click orders, re-bindable keys, etc. A drat fine thing for a mere $20.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Its impressive how good this, and a great reminder on how far RTS games have come, because holy hell I forgot how terrible the AI and pathfinding is in the game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Loving the remake so far - I was more of a Tiberian Sun/Red Alert 2 guy, but this owns.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CitizenKain posted:

Its impressive how good this, and a great reminder on how far RTS games have come, because holy hell I forgot how terrible the AI and pathfinding is in the game.

Yeah really hope modders can implement pathfinding improvements down the road. Thats the biggest weakness currently imo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

VALIS666 posted:

It always looked like they were doing all the right things when making this package, and after playing for a couple hours, it came out even better than I hoped it would. There are some things that take adjustment just because the game is so old (I think your troops have an awareness level of either "an enemy is right in front of me" or "an enemy is shooting me"), but they did add a lot of nice, modern RTS touches like right click orders, re-bindable keys, etc. A drat fine thing for a mere $20.

In one of the GDI missions I straight up ran my soldiers across a bridge expecting the Nod light tank there to shoot it. Nope it just kinda sat there, crew sleeping until I unloaded on it now that I was past the bridge.

My only real complaint right now is that your playlist restarts every time you enter and exit the jukebox. drat it, let me see which song I'm listening to a remix of, I don't remember all their names!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

VALIS666 posted:

There are some things that take adjustment just because the game is so old (I think your troops have an awareness level of either "an enemy is right in front of me" or "an enemy is shooting me"),

Put them in guard mode where they are with G or Ctrl + Alt + Left Click at their destination and they’ll act more like you expect.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah really hope modders can implement pathfinding improvements down the road. Thats the biggest weakness currently imo.
All the pathfinding logic is in the game code, so a pathfinding redo is entirely within possibility.

code:
	/*
	**	As long as there is room to put commands in the movement command list,
	** then put commands in it.  We build the path using the following
	** methodology.
	** 1. Scan through the desired strait line path until we eiter hit an
	**    impassable or have created a valid path.
	** 2. If we have hit an impassable, walk through the impassable to make
	**    sure that there is a passable on the other side.  If there is not
	**    and we can not change the impassable, then this list is dead.
	** 3. Walk around the impassable on both the left and right edges and
	**    take the shorter of the two paths.
	** 4. Taking the new location as our start location start again with
	**    step #1.
	*/

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

I just played through the secret dinosaur missions for the first time. The velociraptor forests are easily one of the most annoying things I've ever experienced in a game.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pussy Cartel posted:

So does anyone know if rules.ini editing works in the Remastered collection?

Dandywalken posted:

Edit: also was about to ask this lol

I can safely confirm that rules.ini editing works for RA.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Same now that I've hosed with it. Are we unable to define new Warhead classes though or am I doing it wrong?

Tried to create a HEAT class that was for rocket dudes but they refused to fire their weapon after I assigned it to them.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was never able to create new warheads in RA1 back in the day, I know it's possible for TS and RA2 but little kid me never figured it out for RA1 (if it's even possible.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hate these dumbfuck suicidal civilians on GDI mission 8b

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pussy Cartel posted:

I was never able to create new warheads in RA1 back in the day, I know it's possible for TS and RA2 but little kid me never figured it out for RA1 (if it's even possible.)

I don't think you could create new ones, but you could certainly use the already existing ones, such as firing dogs from bazooka men, or having infantry shoot nukes etc.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I assume source code access should allow the user to make their own new Warheads though before compiling ?

Also GDI 4 (defend the village about to be attacked) is loving rough. Finished the objective with a red health humvee and grenadier left.

Got to the Commando mission but died to the enemies surviving the third SAM site I blew up lol. I'll try tomorrow and quicksave before each.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

I assume source code access should allow the user to make their own Warhead though before compiling ?
It should. There's example code in the source dump (look for PETROGLYPH_EXAMPLE_MOD) for a tank that lobs nukes using a new projectile definition.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Holy poo poo! This turned out good.

Played a bit of skirmish and it plays pretty much like the originals. Like others are saying: that installation intro was incredibly well done. I'm glad they found a clever way to put it into the remaster. The upscaled vids are a wee bit weird but I prefer them from the interlaced versions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's funny seeing people get reminded of how difficult C&C was back in the day. The missions where you just straight-up get a base to build up are the easy ones - everything else is kind of a murderously difficult puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I got HUGE nostalgia Gasms at the fake installation screens looool This game is amazing and the updates are incredible to look at, I love the new UI and the audio is loving great. Absolutely fantastic Remaster and Update, loving great job.

C&C is back, Baby!!!!!! I cant believe how much I actually miss it!

We should start a goon Server for games and stuff!!!