Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

What is This - The first in what might hopefully be a series of videos, where I take a look at different adaptations of video games; movies, TV shows, books, etc.

Why is This - While internet critics and review videos are a dime a dozen, I felt like this specific topic is one that is only ever glossed over alongside other videos; Sure, Nostalgia Critic might talk about a video game movie from time to time, but that's not what his show is about (and also he sucks). I thought it would be interesting to dedicate a series to the concept of the adaptation, and look at other products outside of movies and shows as well, and to take the opportunity to discuss things that people might not even know about.

What I Want To Do - I'm essentially going with a video essay approach to these. I want to be informative to the best of my ability, and convey that information in a way that is interesting, enlightening, and entertaining.

I'm hoping that I can get some more eyes on this video and get more opinions on;

-What you liked
-What you didn't like
-Suggestions on what could be done differently, moving forward
-Quality of visuals, audio, editing, etc
-If my efforts at crediting sources were good or not
-If you would actually want to see more videos like this
-Anything else, really

I know I'm not an active poster in this subforum, but I'm not looking to just spam links and run away. While I do want to promote this video, my intentions of posting it here aren't for the sole purpose of getting more views. I do genuinely want feedback on my efforts here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jamesman posted:

What is This - The first in what might hopefully be a series of videos, where I take a look at different adaptations of video games; movies, TV shows, books, etc.

Why is This - While internet critics and review videos are a dime a dozen, I felt like this specific topic is one that is only ever glossed over alongside other videos; Sure, Nostalgia Critic might talk about a video game movie from time to time, but that's not what his show is about (and also he sucks). I thought it would be interesting to dedicate a series to the concept of the adaptation, and look at other products outside of movies and shows as well, and to take the opportunity to discuss things that people might not even know about.

What I Want To Do - I'm essentially going with a video essay approach to these. I want to be informative to the best of my ability, and convey that information in a way that is interesting, enlightening, and entertaining.

I'm hoping that I can get some more eyes on this video and get more opinions on;

-What you liked
-What you didn't like
-Suggestions on what could be done differently, moving forward
-Quality of visuals, audio, editing, etc
-If my efforts at crediting sources were good or not
-If you would actually want to see more videos like this
-Anything else, really

I know I'm not an active poster in this subforum, but I'm not looking to just spam links and run away. While I do want to promote this video, my intentions of posting it here aren't for the sole purpose of getting more views. I do genuinely want feedback on my efforts here.

it's good and interesting, script is good, editing ditto - you've got a middling voice but the material is strong so I can see myself watching this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Can you clarify what you mean by "middling voice?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jamesman posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by "middling voice?"

Sorry, that was unhelpful and probably over harsh. Nice timbre, but I think personally I'd prefer a bit less uppy downy tone, a little more deadpan - there's a lot going on on screen so you don't need quite as much expression in your voice.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Sorry, that was unhelpful and probably over harsh. Nice timbre, but I think personally I'd prefer a bit less uppy downy tone, a little more deadpan - there's a lot going on on screen so you don't need quite as much expression in your voice.

I just genuinely didn't know what the term meant, so I didn't know if you meant an issue with audio levels, if my voice is just bad, or what. I didn't take offense. :)

I intended for the commentary to come off natural, both in wording and tone, but to be fair, I don't regularly record from scripts so I may have exaggerated a bit without thinking about it. I also do Let's Plays and stream on Twitch, and this does come off a bit more "high energy" by comparison, so I could try to be more aware of that going forward.

That said, I'm not sure I would want to go full deadpan. I feel like that approach is better reserved for when you're trying to convey yourself as an authority on a subject and speak in more informative, objective terms, and I wanted the video to be more lighthearted and inject it with opinion and personality. I was envisioning myself as giving a presentation, rather than a book report, if that makes sense.

Do you have advice on how to maybe keep myself in check during the writing and recording processes?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Just dial back the expressiveness like 10% or so? I think it will still be plenty lively. Get another opinion or two first though, could well be a matter of taste.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are there any particularly egregious moments in the video that you would be able to refer to?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jamesman posted:

Are there any particularly egregious moments in the video that you would be able to refer to?

Nope. I wouldn't fret too much about it, it's a good vid.

jialiangzhong
Jan 29, 2006
smile
Hi James! I watched the video and thought it was great! The editing was good. I liked your voice and most importantly, the sound quality is perfect. Thing is though, I'm generally a long-form video essay kind of guy and the slow introduction to the title topic of Mario anime doesn't bother me too much, but I can totally see how it can turn off more impatient viewers. And since the topic is on Mario, you know, Mario, I wonder if it's justified.

Unlike sebmojo, I like the attitude and jokes sprinkled within the facts and think that if you are going to have a general overview of Mario, you can make the well-worn historical facts go down easier if you bring more of your personality into it. Hope this helped!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

jialiangzhong posted:

Thing is though, I'm generally a long-form video essay kind of guy and the slow introduction to the title topic of Mario anime doesn't bother me too much, but I can totally see how it can turn off more impatient viewers. And since the topic is on Mario, you know, Mario, I wonder if it's justified.

My view on how I want to do these videos, is for the introduction to provide information and context that I want the viewer to have as I then talk about the adaptation itself. For this video, for example, while Mario may be a well-known icon, I still felt it important to remind people of its popularity and cultural impact and inform them on what went into the adaptation coming about (to the best of my ability). I want to go over the games to lay out an understood guideline that the adaptation will be compared against.

Looking at it like "When is he going to talk about the movie?" I can definitely see the problem of it being 5 1/2 minutes before doing so, but rather than trying to get through the introductions faster, I would want to consider how to make the introductions feel more like part of the video as a whole. Is it that you feel it's not interesting, not important, or something else?

jialiangzhong
Jan 29, 2006
smile

Jamesman posted:

Looking at it like "When is he going to talk about the movie?" I can definitely see the problem of it being 5 1/2 minutes before doing so, but rather than trying to get through the introductions faster, I would want to consider how to make the introductions feel more like part of the video as a whole. Is it that you feel it's not interesting, not important, or something else?

Hmm, maybe it's a just a matter of teasing the Mario anime up front? Maybe show a few moments of the anime's more bizarre interpretation of the Mario to remind them of what they think is established lore was very much up in the air during the early days of Nintendo. That way your account of the history of Mario feels more like giving context to the anime rather than it feeling like you've switch topic from video game to show. I think it'll lean into the more interesting/novel parts of your video much earlier. Again, this is minor stuff, you've the got the important parts down pat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

jialiangzhong posted:

Hmm, maybe it's a just a matter of teasing the Mario anime up front? Maybe show a few moments of the anime's more bizarre interpretation of the Mario to remind them of what they think is established lore was very much up in the air during the early days of Nintendo. That way your account of the history of Mario feels more like giving context to the anime rather than it feeling like you've switch topic from video game to show. I think it'll lean into the more interesting/novel parts of your video much earlier. Again, this is minor stuff, you've the got the important parts down pat.

To a degree, it is meant to feel like a switch from topic. The concept of the series would be "Here's a game. Here's how they changed it." So the way I wanted to set that up was talk a bit about the game or series success and how that lead to an adaptation, then giving a look at what the game/series is before going back to a full look at the adaptation. So the history is to set up the adaptation's existence.

It should also be noted that the potential future of the series would probably look at multiple products adapted from the same source material. For example, I'm starting work on another video that would look at a comic series adapted from Street Fighter II, but if I were to also do a video on the live-action movie, they're both based off the same content and I wouldn't be bringing up redundant information in as much detail.