Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

We'll find out in 25 years.

How's Jonnhy? How's Jonnhy? How's Jonnhy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
this weekend didn’t actually happen

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

WatermelonGun posted:

this weekend didn’t actually happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqRPbh8uYkY

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
That is one ugly as hell belt no wonder Jericho just tossed it back

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So wait, this dumpster fire turned out to be like, the second best Mania of the last 15 years? Who knew the production truck could book too?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 6, 2020

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonz posted:

A year from now, during a random DYNAMITE match, John Cena needs to pop back into existence in the ring to the fright of everyone except Broken Matt

"BROTHER FELIX! I KNEW YOU'D COME!"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

ChrisBTY posted:

So wait, this dumpster fire turned out to be like, the second best Mania of the last 15 years? Who knew the production truck could book too?

The build-up was an absolute mess due to a combination of shitawful booking, and the worst possible handling of a situation beyond their ability to control, despite the McMahons' delusions otherwise, leading to expectations being so low they were virtually non-existent, combined with the event itself absolutely overdelivering.

The matches you'd expect to be between passable to good were (Zayn/D-Bry, Owens/Rollins, the three-way tag team singles ladder match and, I may be in the minority here, but Kabuki Warriors v. Bliss/Cross from night 1, Otis/Ziggler, the SD women's title 5-way), while the Boneyard Match and Firefly Fun House Match completely defied expectations.

The Braun/Goldberg and Drew/Brock matches were what they were, but at least the right guy won in both cases. The women's title matches had the opposite problem of being decent matches, but had the shittier outcomes.

Edge v. Orton loving blew chunks though. It should never have been a Last Man Standing match (those usually suck to begin with) and it went on at least 10 to 15 minutes too long. That time definitely should have gone to Black v. Lashley in their For Some Reason Match (which had its own problems, but at least it had a nice finish). The Elias/Corbin match, at 9 minutes, went on for about 8 minutes too long, should have been on the pre-show (swapping places with Cesaro/Gulak - or better yet, Cesaro & Nakamura v. Gulak and someone like Chad Gable on the main card).

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 6, 2020

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I run a NJPW fanpage on Facebook, and every year for the last 3 years I do a comparison of times for Mania and Wrestle Kingdom. Orton vs. Edge was the 2nd longest match in Mania history. The only match longer than it was the Iron Man match. I found that pretty mind blowing.

Comparisons between Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1 and Wrestlemania 36 Part 1

# of matches:
10 (2 Preshow and 8 Regular) (I did not count the Stardom exhibition match) - for WK14 Night 1
9 (1 Preshow and 8 Regular) for WM36 Part 1

Longest match:
39:16 - Kota Ibushi vs. Kazuchika Okada - IWGP Heavyweight Championship
19:00 - AJ Styles vs. Undertaker - Boneyard Match

Total length of in ring time:
WK 14 Night 1 - 4:13:45
WM36 Part 1 - 1:42:50

Total length of show:
WK14 Night 1 - 5:07:00 - (counting preshow)
WM36 Part 1 - 3:58:37 (counting preshow)

Comparisons between Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 and Wrestlemania 36 Part 2

# of matches:
9 (1 Preshow and 8 Regular) for WK14 Night 2
9 (1 Preshow and 8 Regular) for WM36 Part 2

Longest match:
35:37 - Tetsuya Naito vs. Kazuchika Okada - Champion vs. Champion Match
36:35 - Edge vs. Randy Orton - Last Man Standing Match (This is the 2nd longest Wrestemania match in history. I was blown away to find out this fact)

Total length of in ring time:
WK 14 Night 2 - 2:54:29
WM36 Part 2 - 2:02:20

Total length of show:
WK14 Night 2 - 4:56:35 - (counting preshow)
WM36 Part 2 - 4:24:33 - (counting preshow)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That's really cool!

Night 1 being 4 hours long and only having 1 hour and 42 minutes of wrestling is insane.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I triple checked my math because I felt like Night 1 didn't have that much downtime, but the bell to bell match times don't lie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Second longest match in WrestleMania history?!

EDIT: So the only match longer than that was the sixty-minute Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 6, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Jerusalem posted:

That's really cool!

Night 1 being 4 hours long and only having 1 hour and 42 minutes of wrestling is insane.

Well you have the 1 hour pre-show with 4 1/2 minutes of Wrestling, it kind of skews it a lot.

1 hr 38 min of wrestling in a 3 hour show seems acceptable

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

Well you have the 1 hour pre-show with 4 1/2 minutes of Wrestling, it kind of skews it a lot.

1 hr 38 min of wrestling in a 3 hour show seems acceptable

Yeah, the preshow really does skew it a lot. I meant to actually say that in my post.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Second longest match in WrestleMania history?!

EDIT: So the only match longer than that was the sixty-minute Iron Man match at WrestleMania XII.

I heard that fact on POST Wrestling's review of Night 2, but I always like to double check things so I'm not spouting false information, and I checked and it was correct. It's mind blowing to me that a 36:35 match is the 2nd longest in history because on Wrestle Kingdom the top 2 matches are usually 30+ minutes. There have been way fewer 30+ minutes matches in Mania history than you would think. If I recall correctly there are only like 6 total.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

that's because the wrestlers WWE pushes could never go 30+ in the ring without being completely loving gassed.

Braun can barely breathe after he does his stupid loving run around the ring spot (lol I hope he still does this as Champ)

Right now is the perfect time to give Cesaro the gold; and make Sami's stable credible*; they already have an existing feud with him and Cesaro could absolutely clown Braun

*I think it's fine, but imagine it having 2 belts already

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hirez posted:

*I think it's fine, but imagine it having 2 belts already

Tony 2 belts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Tony "Lance Storm" 3 belts would be the best.

Tag Team with Shinsuke; Blue belt from Braun; and Sami (the heel) plays the WWE universe starting a fake feud with Cesaro; to get him the IC title, and they all celebrate in the ring, and Cesaro finally gets his push.

Than Baron Corbin cashes in his MITB and wins all 3 right away