Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Caesar Saladin posted:

Get piano lessons and learn about melody, harmony etc and then learn how to use a synth, otherwise you won't make anything interesting.

this is will take more work but is probably the best solution. you don't even have to play piano well AT ALL, just get familiar enough to mess with chords in an intentional way

pop punk posted:

You can't just look at youtube because you don't know anything about music so you don't know what is totally bullshit and what is useful. Depending on the genre there is a good chance 90 percent of people know literally zero music theory. Masterclasses are very good and cool, but not for people just starting. They are more for people already in the flow who are looking for new angles to approach the work from. (At least all of the ones on writing are. I have no idea outside of that.)

1. Google some combination of "easy songs" "your instrument" and "your genre" If it is electronic music you HAVE to know how to use a keyboard.
2.Make a short list of ten artists you REALLY REALLY like, and just start learning their music piece by piece. Clearly some artists are going to be outside of your comfort zone at first.
3. Make a list of mid level and lower upper level artists in your genre and literally just dm them and email them and ask what musicians you should be paying attention too and maybe things to learn. Especially on tour musicians have downtime and like to feel important. These talks CAN develop into long term relationships if you don't be weird about it. People love to feel like they had a hand in helping something.

I played music for a living for about three years, and then quit and now make a living drawing and taught myself to do both things in a very similar way. The arts are completely built around personal relationships and there is no science to any of it. You HAVE to just be bad until you are good and keep going. You won't know what people are talking about until you are deep in it enough to understand, so things are going to just sound like gibberish until you basically already know them intuitively. The big thing you have to do is FINISH things. You cant abandon every song halfway through because it is bad. A bad finished thing will always be worth more than a great unfinished thing. Unfinished things are nothing.

:emptyquote:

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

zedprime posted:

There is a science to pop art. You can even go to universities to learn the science, they teach it to everybody.

It doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't already know someone in the business though because they teach it to everybody.

It's this.

If you don't have the connections or pedigree then you're never going to make it no matter hoe good you are

Maybe if you're exceptionally good looking but lol you're not

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

zedprime posted:

There is a science to pop art. You can even go to universities to learn the science, they teach it to everybody.

It doesn't do you a lot of good if you don't already know someone in the business though because they teach it to everybody.

It’s this. The other thing about famous authors is that they all knew each other, all attended the same writing workshops, and were writing letters to each other and reviewing each other’s books. Artists, too. Most of “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas” is, like, Matisse and Picasso jerking each other off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's true but OTOH, if you just want to make an album for fun and not as a career, you don't need that at all. Just get a guitar and start shredding.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

That's true but OTOH, if you just want to make an album for fun and not as a career, you don't need that at all. Just get a guitar and start shredding.

you're probably gonna need guitar lessons unless you're pretty naturally talented

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I read this as massacres and the answer was yeah

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
nah there's like what, 5, 6 strings, max? and i've got ten fingers, that's less than a string per finger. assuming i can master a string at a (conservative) rate of one per day, i don't see any obstacles to shredding within a week

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

you're probably gonna need guitar lessons unless you're pretty naturally talented

Well yeah (and I should know), I meant networking and connections that PML was talking about. You don't need to be best buds with Bono to make your own lovely album

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I was reading this thread on my phone and then swapped to YouTube and immediately got an ad for Masterclass with Deadmau5

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Julius CSAR posted:

I was reading this thread on my phone and then swapped to YouTube and immediately got an ad for Masterclass with Deadmau5

what's your av from mate?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I have no clue. Picked it up in the last “buy an av thread”

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It could be helpful if you already have the basics down. If you're familiar with your DAW and can manage the basics of building a track then you might get some decent tips.

But like everyone else is saying; much of what you want to get from this class can be had for free from other talented musicians. Also, you'll be able to find genre specific tips and tutorials with your DAW of choice and it'll be easier to follow along.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

:420::420::420:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

It’s this. The other thing about famous authors is that they all knew each other, all attended the same writing workshops, and were writing letters to each other and reviewing each other’s books. Artists, too. Most of “The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas” is, like, Matisse and Picasso jerking each other off.

They knew each other because good artists gravitate to other good artists. Good artists gravitate to the same workshops and meet each other. You seem to be implying you have to know people from before your career and not that if you are really motivated and talented you will meet and get the respect of new peers. Of course Matisse and Picasso jerked each other off. They were the best. Were they supposed to be talking about Phil, the weird guy who has only shown up three times to the local event this year who hasn't shown anything? Real recognize real. People deep in something can see a fake or amateur and nobody has time to waste on that. You should also be writing because you love writing, not for some sort of external praise.

OP- Get started, do the masterclass, meet some friends. If you really love it go in 100%. If you don't, you now have more perspective to appreciate the music you love from having seen behind the curtain.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Go to the class and convince deadmau5 to come back as a mod

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was mostly poking fun at some of the circuitous replies that are all mostly stacking up for the right opinion of "if you need to ask the internet if you want to take a class for fun what do you even think you're going to get out of it" for some wrong or mythological reasons.

"Do you know piano" in regards to a prereq to cutting beats on a computer program is entirely a cypher for "have you internalized basic western music theory".

"Do you know people playing music" is a cypher for "this is a social activity, do you already have a social circle who might help you more than a man on the computer screen?"

People teach themself instrument technique from YouTube all the time but that seems absolutely miserable because technique is very physical and you need a teacher standing there yelling at your for bad finger placement for quickest results.

Music theory is a little easier to learn like that although that's debatable as a lot of people make the gains by being able to link it to the physical technique. A western chord progression just feels great on a piano or a guitar, but it's just another set of blobs on a musical staff. Or vice versa depending how your brain is wired.

Less of this applies to outsider art although most of what is well known musical outsider art is either well versed in pop art and making fun of it or twisting it (jazz) or is versed in non western musical theory (extreme/noise). Ask yourself if you're about to make good outsider art or are about to make the Demon Rush soundtrack if you decide piano or music theory knowledge is optional
https://youtu.be/fVpA9a9fu14

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

zedprime posted:

"Do you know piano" in regards to a prereq to cutting beats on a computer program is entirely a cypher for "have you internalized basic western music theory".

"Do you know people playing music" is a cypher for "this is a social activity, do you already have a social circle who might help you more than a man on the computer screen?"

https://youtu.be/fVpA9a9fu14

No. Not "Do you already have." It is prepare to and start developing these things. You can not have these things already unless you are a weird outlier. MOST people develop these things AFTER deciding to get involved.

Also they keyboard has nothing to do with piano from my recommendation. You literally use a keyboard via midi to interface with the programs you will be using. (In the computer it is a picture of a keyboard when you are using the programs. You literally have no choice when you go to manipulating beeps and boops because those are the buttons you press.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think we have different definitions of what getting involved means.

Keyboard midi is a quick workflow and a fantastic way to make your music synapses fire in a good way but it's hardly mandatory. Guitar players can and do get into beep boop programs entirely editing tabs or staffs by mouse and keyboard. At that point if your program forces you into the on screen keyboard, it's not unideal because a keyboard is a great at a glance music theory tool but I also wouldn't call it "knowing keyboard"

I think the one thing everyone is agreeing is that a beep boop program is a bad place to learn music from scratch and we're all just quibling on well actually the best way to learn music is xyz

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

zedprime posted:

I think we have different definitions of what getting involved means.

Creating connections and relationships. I just cold messaged a musician who is one of the current break out musicians in the genres I follow here to show how to do it. The guy followed me back. Now if I wanted to do more, I can ask them nicely to take a listen to my demos. If the demos are good that opens more doors. ( I have no interest in playing music again, this was just an example.)

And you can maybe get away with just computer drum machines and midi keyboards. A lot of people I have met who are really into this "lofi" beats stuff seem to have almost no music knowledge outside of the interfaces they use.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if you get into jazz people pay extra for you to play the wrong notes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

numberoneposter posted:

if you get into jazz people pay extra for you to play the wrong notes
Or not play at all

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

Or not play at all

Lol

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well i was depressed for a couple days but im back at it,considering doing a masterclass. I actually do have a line6 keyboard and played guitar as a lad.

pop punk
Jun 26, 2018

Hell yeah. Gettem!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Great artists don't always make great teachers.