Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah there's a part near the end where Armie Hammer does the whole "Hi-ho Silver, away!" and Tonto tells him to never do it again. Like, why do the movie if you hate the things about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I think a big part of both the early Pirates movies and a lot of the Harry Potters was they gave no fucks. They weren't comedies, but they leaned into the earnest absurdity of the source material. The Lone Ranger remake just shat on its source material.

There's a Jack Sparrow mannequin on the actual Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disney World, Florida now. The photorealistic Jack Sparrow robot surrounded by animatronics from fifty years ago really kills the character of the ride. That's not directly relevant but it annoys me!! That ride is for cartoon fake pirates and a model of a tall mast ship shooting fireworks at you, not uncanny valley models of famous actors!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 1, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah there's a part near the end where Armie Hammer does the whole "Hi-ho Silver, away!" and Tonto tells him to never do it again. Like, why do the movie if you hate the things about it?

To me that seemed like the main motivation for making the movie. Everybody involved hated it so much that they wanted to ruin it for everyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alhazred posted:

The stuff with indigenous people in the PotC were objected to when it was released: https://indiancountrytoday.com/archive/disneys-carib-indian-cannibals-deserve-boycott

Okay, I was very confused about the whole "portrayal of natives" thing in Pirates because I didn't remember there being natives in the movies, but it's one of the sequels I keep forgetting exists.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC it also does the standard Hollywood adaptation thing where the protagonist spends the majority of the movie not being the character that the movie is named after. Like he's only the "Lone Ranger" for the very end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

IIRC it also does the standard Hollywood adaptation thing where the protagonist spends the majority of the movie not being the character that the movie is named after. Like he's only the "Lone Ranger" for the very end.

Lone Ranger is a dumb name for a guy with a sidekick that goes everywhere with him.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
"Can you believe this guy said 'Indian magics?' What an rear end in a top hat." - WTNV

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Skwirl posted:

Okay, I was very confused about the whole "portrayal of natives" thing in Pirates because I didn't remember there being natives in the movies, but it's one of the sequels I keep forgetting exists.

The first Pirates movie is still one of my all time favorites (despite how bad Depp is now and forever) but man did they go downhill fast

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I think a big part of both the early Pirates movies and a lot of the Harry Potters was they gave no fucks. They weren't comedies, but they leaned into the earnest absurdity of the source material. The Lone Ranger remake just shat on its source material.

There's a Jack Sparrow mannequin on the actual Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Disney World, Florida now. The photorealistic Jack Sparrow robot surrounded by animatronics from fifty years ago really kills the character of the ride. That's not directly relevant but it annoys me!! That ride is for cartoon fake pirates and a model of a tall mast ship shooting fireworks at you, not uncanny valley models of famous actors!

Theres also one in OG Disneyland IIRC. I remember when some parts of the ride got altered and some keyboard CHUDs threw a fit

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Violet_Sky posted:

Theres also one in OG Disneyland IIRC. I remember when some parts of the ride got altered and some keyboard CHUDs threw a fit

There's at least 3 of him throughout the ride, in addition to some other movie-specfic additions. I don't love it but the ride isn't negatively affected by it IMHO.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Basically the typical Hollywood adaptation treatment when they aren't forced to actually treat the source material with respect. Contempt for the source material and the people who like it, while expecting them to fork over money for it. See every video game movie til Sonic the Hedgehog.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically the typical Hollywood adaptation treatment when they aren't forced to actually treat the source material with respect. Contempt for the source material and the people who like it, while expecting them to fork over money for it. See every video game movie til Sonic the Hedgehog.

Detective Pikachu was true and reverent to its source.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the pikachu should've been voiced by danny devito

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of animatronics, the Hagrid at Universal Studios is kinda terrifying

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back to the new movie it is really funny how poorly they write out Tina. Their excuse is that she's too busy with her new head Auror job except Theseus has exactly the same job and he's there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I gotta keep laughing at that movie. Been out 3 weeks, dropping rapidly in income, and has made back $79m on a $200m budget. Hopefully this finally kills Rowling's movie making credentials.

For amusement, the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie has done $161m in 4 weeks in comparison.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It would be really funny if Michelle Yeoh's A24 movie ends up making more money.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Morbius deserves a lot of mockery but it's going to break even or maybe turn a small profit in the end.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Secrets has made about $250m in international markets for $331m worldwide...not quite double its budget, which it would likely need to recoup marketing costs, but it's playing much better abroad compared to Sonic or Morbius. Most interesting to me is that Japan is its largest international market at $27m, outpacing even the UK, which I would just assume to be its stronghold. (UK total is about $21m, just ahead of China, where it opened on a mind-boggling 67,356 screens to an utterly tepid response. What more do you want, China, this movie appropriated one of your legendary animals and everything!)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morbius deserves a lot of mockery but it's going to break even or maybe turn a small profit in the end.

Currently sitting at 2.2x its production budget worldwide (and it sank like a stone at the domestic box office after its second weekend) so "small" is definitely the operative word.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Secrets has made about $250m in international markets for $331m worldwide...not quite double its budget, which it would likely need to recoup marketing costs, but it's playing much better abroad compared to Sonic or Morbius. Most interesting to me is that Japan is its largest international market at $27m, outpacing even the UK, which I would just assume to be its stronghold.

Japan does have twice the UK's population, to be fair...

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Does lone ranger feel like a proper sequel to "rango"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FunkyAl posted:

Does lone ranger feel like a proper sequel to "rango"

It feels like a movie that hates its source material almost, but not quite, as much as it loves wasting your time

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm not sure if the office of Minister of Magic is political or not, but if it is, what was Hermione's platform? I have a feeling it was mostly trading on her status as a hero.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maigius posted:

I'm not sure if the office of Minister of Magic is political or not, but if it is, what was Hermione's platform? I have a feeling it was mostly trading on her status as a hero.

I would assume it's an appointment, I haven't watched the Fantastic Beasts movies but it seems like voting isn't a thing in the wizarding world.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Maigius posted:

"Fund the (Magic) Police"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I would assume it's an appointment, I haven't watched the Fantastic Beasts movies but it seems like voting isn't a thing in the wizarding world.

Apparently they are normally voted on, but the previous Supreme Mugwump (yes, that's the title of the office Grindlewald was trying to take) chose to revive the ancient Qilin ceremony for electing the Supreme Mugwump explicitly because of Grindlewald showing up out of nowhere. I only know this from looking at the wiki.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Here are the official duties and responsibilities of the Minister of Magic:

• Upkeep on the Wizard Masquerade in Great Britain, via mind-wiping teams and disinfo troll farms staffed by actual trolls
  • Selectively meddling in the staffing of the local boarding school
  • Funding the Wizard Prison System, throwing a constant stream of malcontents and dissidents to the monstrous ghouls who roam its halls feeding on the inmates' misery, and also Dementors
  • Regularly transfiguring members of the Royal Family to help hide their reptilian skin, according to a magically binding treaty with Queen Victoria
  • Keeping Stonehenge from flying away
  • Suppressing uprising of ill-tempered magical creatures such as Goblins, Centaurs, the Irish, and Gonks
  • Ruthlessly hunting down those who use magic in the most monstrous unnatural way possible: altering one's gender
  • Providing the enchanted severed pig's heads for initiation rituals used by the muggle PM
  • Getting conned by Wizard FIFA into spending billions of Galleons to construct a stadium to house basically the entire wizard population of the Western Hemisphere for a quidditch match that lasts about an hour

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Asterite34 posted:

• Upkeep on the Wizard Masquerade in Great Britain, via mind-wiping teams and disinfo troll farms staffed by actual trolls
  • Funding the Wizard Prison System, throwing a constant stream of malcontents and dissidents to the monstrous ghouls who roam its halls feeding on the inmates' misery, and also Dementors
  • Regularly transfiguring members of the Royal Family to help hide their reptilian skin, according to a magically binding treaty with Queen Victoria
  • Suppressing uprising of ill-tempered magical creatures such as Goblins, Centaurs, the Irish, and Gonks
  • Ruthlessly hunting down those who use magic in the most monstrous unnatural way possible: altering one's gender
  • Providing the enchanted severed pig's heads for initiation rituals used by the muggle PM
  • Getting conned by Wizard FIFA into spending billions of Galleons to construct a stadium to house basically the entire wizard population of the Western Hemisphere for a quidditch match that lasts about an hour

:hmmyes:

Maigius posted:

It's definitely an elected office, Fudge's whole thing in OOTP is that he's convinced Dumbledore is making the whole Voldemort thing to undermine the confidence of the electorate and call an election to get himself elected Minister for Magic instead, because Fudge is a vain dipshit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Apparently Dumbledore DID eventually become Supreme Mugwump, but left the position to fight Voldemort the first time. I'm not really clear on what the wizard UN or its leader even does, honestly, other than mandate that wizards continue to hide from the rest of the world, which they seem pretty happy to do anyway.

Edit: Also apparently the previous Mugwump was a Grindlewald supporter, hence the whole Qilin thing, so why did they need to elect Grindlewald in the first place if his supporter already had that office secured

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 11, 2022

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Apparently Dumbledore DID eventually become Supreme Mugwump, but left the position to fight Voldemort the first time. I'm not really clear on what the wizard UN or its leader even does, honestly, other than mandate that wizards continue to hide from the rest of the world, which they seem pretty happy to do anyway.

Edit: Also apparently the previous Mugwump was a Grindlewald supporter, hence the whole Qilin thing, so why did they need to elect Grindlewald in the first place if his supporter already had that office secured

The International Confederation of Wizards, headed by the Supreme Mugwump, is responsible for the following:

• Coordinating the global Wizard Masquerade, especially in impoverished underdeveloped countries that would otherwise allow their local wizard population to solve literally all their problems
  • Standardizing units of Wizard weights and measures such as a League (1/7th the stride of a pair of Seven-League Boots) and the Wizard Temperature Scale (with 0 degrees being the average temperature of a witch's teat)
  • Maintaining cordial diplomatic relations with Hell and Narnia
  • Denouncing Wizard War Criminals when they manage to inconvenience enough important people
  • Running Trick or Treat for Wizard UNICEF, where each Halloween children donate some of their blood for the rituals that continue to imprison the Great Old Ones
  • Organizing the annual Pancake Breakfasts

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Asterite34 posted:

Sorry, gonk?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mameluke posted:

Sorry, gonk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonk

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Sorry, gonk?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
do wizards have robots?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Secrets has made about $250m in international markets for $331m worldwide...not quite double its budget, which it would likely need to recoup marketing costs, but it's playing much better abroad compared to Sonic or Morbius. Most interesting to me is that Japan is its largest international market at $27m, outpacing even the UK, which I would just assume to be its stronghold. (UK total is about $21m, just ahead of China, where it opened on a mind-boggling 67,356 screens to an utterly tepid response. What more do you want, China, this movie appropriated one of your legendary animals and everything!)

Currently sitting at 2.2x its production budget worldwide (and it sank like a stone at the domestic box office after its second weekend) so "small" is definitely the operative word.

i don't think Harry Potter is bigger in the UK than anywhere else in the west tbh

it might have been when they first started making the films because of the novelty factor but it soon became a very international thing

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So the entire plot of the trilogy was undone by a magic deer that could read thoughts.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
They had Wizard Hitler stand in the magical elections and he won, but then a magical deer came along and everyone changed their minds.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
And so Grindelwald was defeated.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Beartaco posted:

They had Wizard Hitler stand in the magical elections and he won, but then a magical deer came along and everyone changed their minds.

tbf I'd trust the judgement of even a regular non-magical deer over the majority opinion of a group of Wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Beartaco posted:

It's so incredibly Rowling-centrist that it almost sounds made up to make fun of her

"The fascist convinced enough people to legitimately win a democratic election but there was a magic loophole that stopped him so it's all okay and no one has to change anything"