Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Grow plants all day but it won't put the galleons in your pockets like working in the department of magical warcrimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can you imagine the weed they could grow, though?

:catdrugs::birddrugs::chillpill::2bong::350::420:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The series should have stayed whimsical because its core premise is incompatible with serious examination

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

dialhforhero posted:

Can you imagine the weed they could grow, though?

:catdrugs::birddrugs::chillpill::2bong::350::420:

What do you think Hufflepuff kids were doing at the greenhouse all day? You never see them around because they're in the kitchens with then munchies or out behind the hedges Huffing the Puff.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
No weed is mentioned in these books, yet two of our "heroes" peddle legal date rape drugs in their candy and jokes store

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I always got that the prophecy was a kind of self fulfilling thing. If Voldemort just ignored it then he would have been fine but he's a big bitch who's too scared of dying to leave it alone.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I haven’t read them since I was a kid so maybe I’m forgetting some nuance but “terror of death and refusal to accept it” always seemed like a weird motivation in a universe where everyone knows for a fact that there’s an afterlife and schoolkids are on a first-name basis with like 6 ghosts.

Maybe he’s scared of going to Wizard Hell

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I haven’t read them since I was a kid so maybe I’m forgetting some nuance but “terror of death and refusal to accept it” always seemed like a weird motivation in a universe where everyone knows for a fact that there’s an afterlife and schoolkids are on a first-name basis with like 6 ghosts.

Maybe he’s scared of going to Wizard Hell

No one really knows what the afterlife is though, just that when you die you get a choice to go somewhere or stay on as a ghost.

And existence as a ghost is existentially horrifying based on how Rowling wrote everything to do with Nearly Headless Nick, the Grey Lady, and Binns.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Are the pictures alive or just animated? This is important.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

FunkyAl posted:

Are the pictures alive or just animated? This is important.

They seem to share some memories, at least the Headmaster Portraits do.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Didn't Neville's great aunt or something throw him out a window because he was late bloomer when it came to his magic and he happened to bounce 6 feet in the air off across the yard like a basket ball instead of dying?

Wizard childhood most loving blow while your family is waiting to see if your a squib.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Quote is not edit.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 15, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a decent attempt at trying to reconcile how problematic Chosen One narratives are by making it so that there was nothing intrinsically special about Harry. Aside from his family's wealth and privelege of course, but even then Neville covercomes all that to basically be Harry's equal and carrying on his work at Hogwarts in the final book.

Did the books ever say where all the money came from? Were the Potters just rich as gently caress and Harry's the last of them? I don't remember them ever talking about James's family.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Some Goon posted:

Did the books ever say where all the money came from? Were the Potters just rich as gently caress and Harry's the last of them? I don't remember them ever talking about James's family.

It doesn't directly though you do see that James is a spoiled rich kid growing up and we know the Evans were not rich.

JKR said in supplemental materials that the Potters were a poor pureblood family until his Grandfather invented the wizard equivalent of hair gel which was so popular they became like multi-millionaires off of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sleeveless posted:

It's a decent attempt at trying to reconcile how problematic Chosen One narratives are by making it so that there was nothing intrinsically special about Harry. Aside from his family's wealth and privelege of course, but even then Neville covercomes all that to basically be Harry's equal and carrying on his work at Hogwarts in the final book.

The movies got so lucky that Neville's actor grew perfectly from a round-cheeked doofus to a goddamn action hero

Butternubs posted:

I always got that the prophecy was a kind of self fulfilling thing. If Voldemort just ignored it then he would have been fine but he's a big bitch who's too scared of dying to leave it alone.

It also comes up in a later book as Harry and Dumbledore are searching for Horcruxes, Harry suggests he might have just made a random rock in a quarry a Horcrux and no one would ever find it, but Dumbledore says the thing is Voldemort is a massive egomaniac and drama queen who would never make a Hocrux out of an object that wasn't unique and special.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

reignofevil posted:

That candy wrapper was a horcrux.
Drooble's Best Blowing Gum = Gold Bribe Below St. Mungos

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The sorting hat has no loving clue what House someone would actually be best in and has just been bluffing for several centuries because theres not a lot of employment opportunities for sentient hats

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Is the sorting hat sentient? does it just sit in a cupboard 364 days a year? is it's life a living hell? going by what we know of the HP universe the answer to all these is probably yes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Butternubs posted:

Is the sorting hat sentient? does it just sit in a cupboard 364 days a year? is it's life a living hell? going by what we know of the HP universe the answer to all these is probably yes.

It is and it hangs out on a pedestal in the Headmaster's office.

At one point we see a memory of Dumbledore talking to it to try to make sure Harry hadn't been possessed by Voldemort during his first year.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Its just standard cold-reading tactics. Like horoscopes or fortune-telling. Everybody's ambitious sometimes or will show flashes of courage so you just make up some bullshit about it and people will think about the times they were briefly brave when they wonder why they got stuck in Gryffindor. The fact that everybody just assumes that Ron and Neville are in Gryffindor instead of Hufflepuff or Hermionie isn't in Ravenclaw because of some deep unseen aspect of their character instead of the fact that the talking hat might not know what the gently caress he's talking about makes me think that wizards would be an extremely easy people to scam.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah it chills in the headmaster’s office in open air on a hat stand and sits there like a useless oval office.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Butternubs posted:

here's a list of all 578 fanfictions tagged with the character Sorting Hat so if you read all of those you'll probably get a good sense of what it's up to

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

VanSandman posted:

They seem to share some memories, at least the Headmaster Portraits do.

What does that mean though? Are they like horcruxes? Who is speaking, the person being painted, the artist, or is the painting its own entity?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its just standard cold-reading tactics. Like horoscopes or fortune-telling. Everybody's ambitious sometimes or will show flashes of courage so you just make up some bullshit about it and people will think about the times they were briefly brave when they wonder why they got stuck in Gryffindor. The fact that everybody just assumes that Ron and Neville are in Gryffindor instead of Hufflepuff or Hermionie isn't in Ravenclaw because of some deep unseen aspect of their character instead of the fact that the talking hat might not know what the gently caress he's talking about makes me think that wizards would be an extremely easy people to scam.

Gilderoy Lockhart exists so you're correcf

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FunkyAl posted:

What does that mean though? Are they like horcruxes? Who is speaking, the person being painted, the artist, or is the painting its own entity?

The painting of Dumbledore says it's its own entity that has some, but not all of Dumbledore's memories and experiences.

It's like someone caught a snapshot of their personality that now has to exist in a painting for all time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Sorting Hat is basically a phrenologist.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Zore posted:

The painting of Dumbledore says it's its own entity that has some, but not all of Dumbledore's memories and experiences.

It's like someone caught a snapshot of their personality that now has to exist in a painting for all time.

Maybe it comes down to the skill of the painter. Like if the Van Gogh of the wizarding world does your portrait then it acts and sounds just like you and has most of your memories. But if you're finger painted by a hufflepuff then it probably just screams all the time and begs for death.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I assume it works like the wizarding equivalent of those gravestones that are just highlight clip reels of the deceased. So theyll be a mess of what everyone remembers but miss a lot of the nuance.

It would make the Michael Jordan painting significantly less of an rear end in a top hat, is what Im saying

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Just so everyone knows an enchanted painting that is a conglomerate of what everyone remembers of me is how I'll still be modding this place 1000 years from now.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!

reignofevil posted:

Just so everyone knows an enchanted painting that is a conglomerate of what everyone remembers of me is how I'll still be modding this place 1000 years from now.

thia is like some sort of roko's forum mod

like why would you do this to something that is in any sense yourself

im not sure it's different from just being a mod in the first place though

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wonder how messed up the wizard paintings made of extant wizard painting are. Is it like a decaying VHS tape or is it just like one dumbledore looping forever through the one conversation topic it knows like bonzai buddy with alzheimers?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Butternubs posted:

Maybe it comes down to the skill of the painter. Like if the Van Gogh of the wizarding world does your portrait then it acts and sounds just like you and has most of your memories. But if you're finger painted by a hufflepuff then it probably just screams all the time and begs for death.

There's a strong possibility the van gogh would be the one screaming and the finger painting would be chill and well

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

is it possible that harry potter and twin peaks take place in the same world

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

instead of an insular culture of boarding school dipshits, american magic is woodland goobers and mega-goon fbi guys

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I get the impression the paintings are kinda like that Hologram in I Robot with Will Smith. It was an algorithm that responded to the person speaking to it like it was a real person, but then you would say something it couldn't process and it responded with something like "I'm sorry but my programming can't properly respond to your statement".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

reignofevil posted:

A mod who posts entirely in Markov chain (including probe/ban text)? I think we finally have found a mod who won't get burnt out down the line.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I feel like the "Harry becomes a cop" ending is fundamentally opposed to the "Harry decides to never get in a fight again so that the Death Wand lineage is forever broken" ending.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rowling wanted Terry Gilliam for the movies, and you know what he'd have made something interesting out of that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speleothing posted:

I feel like the "Harry becomes a cop" ending is fundamentally opposed to the "Harry decides to never get in a fight again so that the Death Wand lineage is forever broken" ending.

No no, its fine, Harry realized he just needs to avoid fights where the other person can fight back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Barudak posted:

No no, its fine, Harry realized he just needs to avoid fights where the other person can fight back.

And so began Harry Potter's long career of challenging babies to magical duels.