Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1277596002892079104?s=21

I like how Rowling being uninvolved is a bullet point

Good to see it finally confirmed, that leaked footage got me real excited. I bet they wished they announced it earlier lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The first two harry potter games were real good. The rest were all rubbish.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Flippendo! Flippendo! Flippendo!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Nettle Soup posted:

The first two harry potter games were real good. The rest were all rubbish.

i remember playing the first one on playstation and being blown away. i was the right age to be obsessed with it as a kid and getting to actually explore the harry potter world was so loving cool

i don't know how to feel about a triple-A harry potter game. will you go through all 7 years at hogwarts or what

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Can you make your own student or do you have play as Harry because honestly at this stage I'd rather being doing my own wizard kid bullshit.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I hope not only can you play as your own student, you can change gender at will.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

Flippendo! Flippendo! Flippendo!

Beans!

One of them was a gears of war clone lmao

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
The Potter movie games turning into straight up Gears of War clones was hilarious

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope this new one is edgy and Rated M

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Roth posted:

I hope this new one is edgy and Rated M

The Sorting Hat put me in House gently caress

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

"gently caress Dumbledore" - Harry Potter

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Gently caress Dumbledore

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Caidin posted:

Can you make your own student or do you have play as Harry because honestly at this stage I'd rather being doing my own wizard kid bullshit.

When I was a kid who was really into Harry Potter my dream game was one where you created your own student at Hogwarts and had your own adventures and if that’s what this is then I’ll probably have to get it for 7-year-old me’s sake

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Feldegast42 posted:

Gently caress Dumbledore

Technically you can do that but its just JK rowling's twitter account popping up during the end credits saying you did.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
JK Rowling made headlines again today, but not the good kind, like you want

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

When I was a kid who was really into Harry Potter my dream game was one where you created your own student at Hogwarts and had your own adventures and if that’s what this is then I’ll probably have to get it for 7-year-old me’s sake

You can just play a tabletop game of Ars Magica.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can just play a tabletop game of Ars Magica.

gently caress imagination. Either lay it all out in front of all my senses or I walk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

gently caress imagination. Either lay it all out in front of all my senses or I walk.

We almost had an Ars Magica videogame by the makers of King of Dragon Pass.

I'm still not over it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I definitely thought Hey Arnold took place in NYC. I thought that was the only place that had some schools just be "PS 118" or whatever instead of naming them all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the city was New York when I was a kid. It does have a subway, I'm not sure if any PNW cities do?

same. i always assumed they lived in new york or on the east coast. i guess not.

Roth posted:

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1277596002892079104?s=21

I like how Rowling being uninvolved is a bullet point

i thought it was supposed to take place in 19th century or some poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought it was supposed to take place in 19th century or some poo poo.

Press L2 to magic the poo poo out of your pants

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Voldemort watching tom and jerry, hating and confounded, that the cat can never catch the little mouse. he destroys another tv using magic and has the malfoys' slave, dobby, clean it up

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Apparently the devs are getting distressed by jk's antics.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

is there a spell to stop someone tweeting

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
JKR's gonna get banned like glinner and then reveal that a cabal of antifeminist neo-death-eaters imperiused social media owners for the patriarchy in her new Harry Potter sequel duology

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i mean, it took glinner a good two years or so of repeated meltdowns and targeting individuals for abuse before twitter finally decided it wasn't worth letting him back in, so don't hold your breath

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Rowling is way too popular and brings way too many eyes to twitter for them to ban her. At most she might get the Trump treatment of having a tweet or two flagged as hate speech, which will naturally just allow her to play the martyr even more.

Twitter was a mistake.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

twitter basically couches and frames her meltdowns as way more reasonable and popular than any honest figure could possibly report, you're better off hoping for twitter to go the way of myspace

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

Apparently the devs are getting distressed by jk's antics.

dont loving blame them at all.

Sydin posted:

Yeah Rowling is way too popular and brings way too many eyes to twitter for them to ban her. At most she might get the Trump treatment of having a tweet or two flagged as hate speech, which will naturally just allow her to play the martyr even more.

Twitter was a mistake.

yeah. i do think she will now be remebered as just as hosed up and lovely as lovecraft if not worse in someways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i do think she will now be remebered as just as hosed up and lovely as lovecraft if not worse in someways.

Lovecraft was at least poor and p obviously severely mentally ill

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
Lovecraft recanted and went into the great void in the embrace of solidarity.

Or so I understand.

e: a quick check tells me that he supported FDR but thought the New Deal didn't go far enough, so evidently old Lovecraft was good.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 8, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lovecraft was more progressive than Joe Biden

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lovecraft married a Jewish woman.

Also people will say "oh he was just a product of his time" but from what I can tell he was considered cartoonishly racist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!

Tulip posted:

Also people will say "oh he was just a product of his time" but from what I can tell he was considered cartoonishly racist.

He was notably, virulently racist, and clung to racism towards black people even to the end, as well as an ultimately class-based social ideal, but his animosity couldn't overwhelm the experience of the great depression when it came to understanding that people need basic things like food, I guess.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently he had some memorable correspondence with Robert E Howard who pointed out that colonialism wasn't any less brutal than what savages supposedly got up to.

Both of Lovecraft's parents apparently died in asylums and his family lost their fortune and left him to die in poverty spending his money on letters rather than medicine, mind, so I'm pretty sure some pretty severe untreated mental illness was involved.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

If this game ends up good, I'm still waiting for it to be the monthly free one on EGS. :kheldragar:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently he had some memorable correspondence with Robert E Howard who pointed out that colonialism wasn't any less brutal than what savages supposedly got up to.

Both of Lovecraft's parents apparently died in asylums and his family lost their fortune and left him to die in poverty spending his money on letters rather than medicine, mind, so I'm pretty sure some pretty severe untreated mental illness was involved.

Hodgepodge posted:

He was notably, virulently racist, and clung to racism towards black people even to the end, as well as an ultimately class-based social ideal, but his animosity couldn't overwhelm the experience of the great depression when it came to understanding that people need basic things like food, I guess.

Tulip posted:

He did recant a bit by his death, but he died still cartoonishly racist by 1930s standards.

(Caveat: Lovecraft is one of my personal favourite authors so I'm biased, and also his writing is mostly... just bad and you should read other authors inspired by him and not the originals. At the Mountains of Madness and The Temple are the only ones that hold up.)

I personally think his racism was absolutely informed by his poverty and mental illness though. In a lot of ways he spent his life cosplaying a pre-revolution british-american aristocrat, which was absolutely informed by his family. He has early works where his racism has as much virulence for the loving dutch as it does black people. Unlike JKR I think he would have actually benefited from the internet- contrary to popular impression he wasn't a shut-in purely by choice. He wrote letters like goons post, and he traveled the american and canadian east coast as his poverty allowed. He even wrote travelogues, which usually get left out of his collections. And his travelogues definitely demonstrated his illness, imo, compared to how the average person would write one. Having something like the internet to meet and interact with people spontaneously instead of over letters, and the ability to easily meet people struggling like he was, and the ability to see that all these people were so similar to him even though being from wildly differing backgrounds, imo, might have sped his reformation. And hell, maybe he would live longer and not die in his 40s while bragging that he could survive on a can of beans and a loaf of bread for a week.

JKR has no excuse. She's rich as hell and can probably meet with any world leader or random rear end in a top hat she chooses, she can go anywhere any time she wants. Lovecraft was genuinely ill and abused, and spread that. JKR's only problem is affluenza.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI this has been posted on SA many times before but if you haven't seen it and want to watch a half hour youtube video, hbomberguy really knocks it out of the park in my opinion as a gay, jewish Lovecraft fan

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 8, 2020

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JKR has no excuse. She's rich as hell and can probably meet with any world leader or random rear end in a top hat she chooses, she can go anywhere any time she wants. Lovecraft was genuinely ill and abused, and spread that. JKR's only problem is affluenza.

Yep, Rowling is a multi-billionaire with connections, millions of followers, and access to the internet. It would take her 30 seconds to tweet out that she wants to have a zoom call with some trans Harry Potter fans to clarify their concerns and educate herself. But she won't do that because she's already convinced herself that she's right and trans people are mentally ill and have convinced themselves (or worse, been convinced by other trans people) that they're something they aren't and so any dialogue with them is pointless.

She's going to continue to dig herself into a deeper and deeper hole that alienates her from anybody but the most hardcore alt-right CHUD's, similar to what happened to Linehan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tulip posted:

Friends in his time were like "yo dude you need to dial this back a couple levels, this is weird poo poo"

Given all the Confederate whitewashing it's easy to forget that racism, at least the card-carrying kind, has always been considered terrible by most people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He did recant a bit by his death, but he died still cartoonishly racist by 1930s standards.

(Caveat: Lovecraft is one of my personal favourite authors so I'm biased, and also his writing is mostly... just bad and you should read other authors inspired by him and not the originals. At the Mountains of Madness and The Temple are the only ones that hold up.)

I personally think his racism was absolutely informed by his poverty and mental illness though. In a lot of ways he spent his life cosplaying a pre-revolution british-american aristocrat, which was absolutely informed by his family. He has early works where his racism has as much virulence for the loving dutch as it does black people. Unlike JKR I think he would have actually benefited from the internet- contrary to popular impression he wasn't a shut-in purely by choice. He wrote letters like goons post, and he traveled the american and canadian east coast as his poverty allowed. He even wrote travelogues, which usually get left out of his collections. And his travelogues definitely demonstrated his illness, imo, compared to how the average person would write one. Having something like the internet to meet and interact with people spontaneously instead of over letters, and the ability to easily meet people struggling like he was, and the ability to see that all these people were so similar to him even though being from wildly differing backgrounds, imo, might have sped his reformation. And hell, maybe he would live longer and not die in his 40s while bragging that he could survive on a can of beans and a loaf of bread for a week.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8u8wZ0WvxI this has been posted on SA many times before but if you haven't seen it and want to watch a half hour youtube video, hbomberguy really knocks it out of the park in my opinion as a gay, jewish Lovecraft fan

excactly, and he mostly kept it private and mostly came off as some weird ill loser with delusions of grandure that his friends felt bad for. JKR is just a self important rear end in a top hat picking a hill to die on because she thinks she will be a "feminist" hero.

StratGoatCom posted:

If this game ends up good, I'm still waiting for it to be the monthly free one on EGS. :kheldragar:

i am more excited for batman WB game because i am a loser and if the game does end up good. i will buy it used at some point and play it with my gf.