Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
And Bill never got a haircut! What did he hate his mother???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Zore posted:

You guys may need to reread HBP because Harry is constantly staring at Ginny throughout the entire book.

A lot of this feels more like criticism of the fan community and popular fanfics more than the original work

He is constantly staring at her, we're just commenting on the amount and detail of the narrative descriptions of characters appearance and attractiveness. I don't think we ever even get a description of what Ginny's face looks like.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's kind of sad that while there's people like Sirius and Remus who can tell Harry stories about his dad, there wasn't anyone who can really tell Harry what his mom was like. Snape doesn't count since it took until he was dying to do so. It just seems like a weird story oversight that people kept mentioning how Lily was super popular and friends with people from different houses but no adult ever stops by to introduce themselves to Harry as Lily's close friend.

Feldegast42 posted:

I still think the Harry / Ginny "relationship" is the worst bit of the last two books because its almost entirely offscreen and she is barely there narratively after book 2

Really sucks when your main theme is the power of love

Its not even a shipping thing, its just that there is nothing there at all

The romance would've been much improved if Harry and Ginny started hanging out more in OotP. It established that the two of them are unique in that they're the only ones who know what it's like to be possessed by Voldemort, so that could've been a good reason for them to bond, but no, suddenly Harry's het switch got turned on in HBP and he has a green beast in his tummy or something.

Though the main thing that puts me off the Harry/Ginny relationship is how Oedipal it seemed. Most of the things others used to describe his mom (redhead, smart, vivacious, popular, quick to anger but quick to forgive) are also things that apply to Ginny.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

NikkolasKing posted:

Tom Riddle as a young man absolutely gets a lot of talk about how handsome he was, though.

That's because she's trying to do Lucifer and then just forgot and made him evil from birth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least Harry turning into a horny rage monster at 15 is accurate.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

amigolupus posted:

It's kind of sad that while there's people like Sirius and Remus who can tell Harry stories about his dad, there wasn't anyone who can really tell Harry what his mom was like. Snape doesn't count since it took until he was dying to do so. It just seems like a weird story oversight that people kept mentioning how Lily was super popular and friends with people from different houses but no adult ever stops by to introduce themselves to Harry as Lily's close friend.

Slughorn has a lot of good things to say about her but that's obviously filtered by him seeing her in an academic setting and his own personality and prejudices.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I honestly don’t know if I like Harry Potter or not. The standard internet hate parade forgets a lot of good bits, but there is also tons of garbage. And some of the parts everyone complains about can’t really be redeemed, like “lol better smash all the time turners”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

muscles like this! posted:

I am kind of surprised that Rowling hasn't just gone all prequel series with James and his crew during his time at Hogwarts. That seems like a really easy moneymaking move. Like she could even do the standard prequel thing where all those instances you saw of James being a shithead to Snape turned out to have a different context where he had his reason for doing it.

Remember the massive controversy over the Lexicon when Rowling wanted to make her own encyclopedia?

The Marauders era has this entire weird fanon and Rowling asserting her IP rights to make some new books is probably going to upset people.

For example:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Harry Potter only ever gets remotely interesting when it’s dealing in bureaucratic magic (“bureaumancy”). Like, if you want to create a house, you just fill out some paperwork for “47.5 Maple Street” and this property now officially exists between 47 and 48, even if nobody can go there.

This is why the best Harry Potter movie is actually Being John Malkovich.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And some of the parts everyone complains about can’t really be redeemed, like “lol better smash all the time turners”

yea this is the whole lacking internal logical consistency thing.

Example:
We know Bill, Percy and Barty Jr. got 12 OWLs. How? Did they study a bit and just go for a passing mark on the test? Or were they actually required to attend the classes? If so, did they all get time turners? Or did the staff randomly decide to run classes concurrently one year? Did they use the time turners to sleep, unlike super clever Hermione? How do you even get a decent OWL grade in Divination?

I lie awake at night pondering the Great Questions of Our Time.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Harry Potter only ever gets remotely interesting when it’s dealing in bureaucratic magic (“bureaumancy”)

I thought Bureaumancy was what made the wardrobe connect to Narnia :confused:

Do you mean Bureaucramancy?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

TinTower posted:

Remember the massive controversy over the Lexicon when Rowling wanted to make her own encyclopedia?

The Marauders era has this entire weird fanon and Rowling asserting her IP rights to make some new books is probably going to upset people.

For example:

lmao @ the song

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

yea this is the whole lacking internal logical consistency thing.

Example:
We know Bill, Percy and Barty Jr. got 12 OWLs. How? Did they study a bit and just go for a passing mark on the test? Or were they actually required to attend the classes? If so, did they all get time turners? Or did the staff randomly decide to run classes concurrently one year? Did they use the time turners to sleep, unlike super clever Hermione? How do you even get a decent OWL grade in Divination?

I lie awake at night pondering the Great Questions of Our Time.

The way Hogwarts is run I assumed this was some instance where someone at the Ministry put pressure on the school governors to make rules so you couldn't take night or weekend or summer classes, all classes had to be scheduled within a certain time window, you had to have taken a class completely to take the OWL exam, etc. Probably so their rich failson could skate by and the Weaselys of the world didn't keep advancing on hard work and merit alone.

Cause yeah in reality there's probably ways to schedule this poo poo and provide extra classes/tutoring that didn't involve ripping the space-time fabric to pieces.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
That's a pretty good head-canon explanation.

The problem is that it's head-canon.

I suppose even the good ol' wizards wouldn't want a time turner in the hands of an up-and-coming youth unless they knew said youth never broke a rule ever. But even then I doubt they'd allow it even if they had all sorts of informants tracking the usage and put pressure on Dumbledore (who would give no shits) to keep said youth in line.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What do wizards think of movies, and do they like them better or worse than enchanted pictures

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

That's a pretty good head-canon explanation.

The problem is that it's head-canon.

OH yeah I mean absolutely. The reality is that Joanne wrote these books one at a time and often would ignore previous details, like with the Playstaton, the Tri-Wizard tourney, etc etc

That's not even necessarily a bad way to approach writing a fun kids series like this IMO, if some previous one-off line is going to prevent a potentially fun story (the overachiever Hermione attempting to take so many classes she needs to gently caress with time to even attempt it) than gently caress the old throwaway line. Coupled with other sloppy stuff she does it tends to stand out more and be low hanging fruit to complain about.

FunkyAl posted:

What do wizards think of movies, and do they like them better or worse than enchanted pictures

Presumably they are even more annoying than the typical cinema sins type doing poo poo like going "heh why didn't Gandalf just use Confliglero what kind of wizard is he :smug:" and annoying the poo poo out of everyone around them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Based on how despite the center of magical governance and commerce being in the middle of downtown London most wizards are completely unable to even dress themselves to even remotely pass in normal human society I would assume they don't know what a movie is.

Like Arthur Weasley's entire job is to deal with people loving with muggle artifacts and he doesn't even understand what electricity is and keeps a collection of plugs because he doesn't know what they're for.

Remember the movies changed it so wizards wear mostly normal clothing with some magical flourishes. In the books everyone is in full length robes and pointy hats at basically all times.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 20, 2021

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Bloogy Hell Harry, this must be real magic, Ron said, watching a man doing marionettes on the subway

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Guy A. Person posted:

Presumably they are even more annoying than the typical cinema sins type doing poo poo like going "heh why didn't Gandalf just use Confliglero what kind of wizard is he :smug:" and annoying the poo poo out of everyone around them

Maybe a wizard, fooled into thinking a rival wizard and the eye of sauron were real phenomena, congered up a counterspell that really caused an incident

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
rule of cool is one thing but gaping holes that you fill in with ~magic~ or nothing is another.

Arthur Weasley was cited one too many times for 'inappropriate actions' during what muggles call films (like pictures but with stories).

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The best wizard trying and failing to look muggle is that wizard at the World Cup who insists on wearing a nightgown because he likes the breeze around his nether regions.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zore posted:

Based on how despite the center of magical governance and commerce being in the middle of downtown London most wizards are completely unable to even dress themselves to even remotely pass in normal human society I would assume they don't know what a movie is.

Like anyone is going to say anything if they see someone dressed like a wizard in the middle of London

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cranappleberry posted:

rule of cool is one thing but gaping holes that you fill in with ~magic~ or nothing is another.

Arthur Weasley was cited one too many times for 'inappropriate actions' during what muggles call films (like pictures but with stories).

Arthur was on the ground in wizard cop raids on Malfoy Manor. Perhaps the only good kind of wizard cop out of the million kinds

So maybe he can't figure out how a plug and socket work, fine, dude was doing combat rolls into the nazi manor. He sounds like a cool dude. I stan Arthur Weasley.

e: and after a hard long night of blasting the nazis he shows up at breakfast and is nothing but loving and supportive of his many children, biological and adopted.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 21, 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Dude couldn’t even count muggle money out, though, even with the numbers on them.

Like, sure, this:

Is totally a £10 note.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

In fairness basic literacy/numeracy doesn't seem to be on the curriculum in hogwarts

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Don’t they actually have an arithmancy class that gets offhandedly mentioned, though?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Regalingualius posted:

Don’t they actually have an arithmancy class that gets offhandedly mentioned, though?

Yeah, with Professor Vector.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

I mentioned Arithmancy being like a useful math elective before ITT, so I found the post of someone correcting me about it:

josh04 posted:

Regret to inform you that canonically, Arithmancy is just Divination without the incense. Dumbledore runs a clown school where there are two courses for the same thing with different names.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yes but to be fair, divination class appears to be mostly about staring at chicken entrails while arithmancy involves commanding the universe to do a statistical analysis for you that is guaranteed to be accurate

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
OTOH Trelawney was completely correct in her known prophesying. Can arithmancy say the same?

Also y'all forgot astronomy, which from what we're told I think is another form of divination.

e: I think Harry takes astronomy all six years but we never see a class. Do we even know the professor's name? It seems like the astronomy tower only exists for blarlie Weasley to save for Hagrid's fuckup and for Dumbledore to get intentionally murdered off of.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 23, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

OTOH Trelawney was completely correct in her known prophesying. Can arithmancy say the same?

Also y'all forgot astronomy, which from what we're told I think is another form of divination.

e: I think Harry takes astronomy all six years but we never see a class. Do we even know the professor's name? It seems like the astronomy tower only exists for blarlie Weasley to save for Hagrid's fuckup and for Dumbledore to get intentionally murdered off of.

Does it count when in Book 5 they are doing their Astronomy OWL and Hagrid fights off Umbridge and her goons?

Also her name is Professor Sinistra and she's like randomly named and seen once or twice over the series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NikkolasKing posted:

Also her name is Professor Sinistra and she's like randomly named and seen once or twice over the series.
Her wiki entry is hilariously padded with things she might have done.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The astronomy tower is instrumental in a great many "event improbably viewed from afar" scenes, which are a HP hallmark.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Arthur was on the ground in wizard cop raids on Malfoy Manor. Perhaps the only good kind of wizard cop out of the million kinds

So maybe he can't figure out how a plug and socket work, fine, dude was doing combat rolls into the nazi manor. He sounds like a cool dude. I stan Arthur Weasley.

e: and after a hard long night of blasting the nazis he shows up at breakfast and is nothing but loving and supportive of his many children, biological and adopted.

he's a good dad, just overworked and peculiar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some dads collect bass guitars, some collect poorly understood illegal artifacts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Part of the reason they do astronomy is because certain aspects of other classes are based on moon cycles. So it's equally about making birth charts and knowing when it's safe to harvest potion ingredients.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Harry would be the kid who doesn’t do the reading and just buys the ingredients the day before and says “yeah I totally understand how this has extra moon sap or whatever lol” and if anyone questioned him about it, he’d just open palm slam the one spell he knows over and over

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Why would the Weasley twins give the Marauder's Map to Harry instead of Ron? Dicks.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Harry needed it to sneak out because he didn't have his permission slip signed. Wasn't that the entire reason they gave it to Harry that year, and then it turned out to be a family heirloom so he never needed to return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Fred and George look on Harry as more of a rule-breaker buddy. He's their protege because he routinely flouts authority whereas Ron is the sidekick and lacks confidence and Ginny is a girl. Merlin forfend they get their little sister into trouble.

Also, yea Harry has an immediate need for it.