Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I get that part of the POINT of The Department of Mysteries section is to make you go,
"Huh...the gently caress was that weird thing all about?"

But seriously, what the gently caress was that door in the auditorium? Like...I suppose it's some sort of "portal to the afterlife" or something? Sirius goes in and...that's it. He's some variety of dead. Why does that thing exist? And why is it just standing there, waiting for someone to fall in, protected by a loving bedsheet?

At least prop it up against a wall so a loving janitor doesn't accidentally fall in!

Edit: And brains in jars? Gross.

All of life....is a stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dursley is simply a continuation of the very old Children's book tradition of Chet Morton from the Hardy Boys

I read one of those books and thought it was pretty dumb how many adult criminals they handily disposed of

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ror posted:

it is canon that Hagrid is a bachelor his whole life, but does Hagrid gently caress? he goes on some dates with that huge alilison janney lady but I never got the impression that he scored.

I am concerned for the well-being of some of the magical creatures

He is wed to a daughter of aragog

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
My dad did not get them but then he read them all on a vacation and in the airplane toilet and was super into harry potter from then on. He correctly guessed that sirius's brother stole the locket a couple years before the last book was out.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zetsubou-san posted:

children are not known for their critical thinking

This is all children are known for. It is why we send them to buildings so they can specialize their skills of reading and operating textile machines.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
So how did these freakin' books end anyway? I got too scared by the sixth one and for all I know that maniac voldemort is still out there

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zore posted:

Harry/Ron/Hermione gently caress around in the woods for a year while Voldemort takes over Britain. We get an endless amount of new ~Wand Lore~ and hyper powerful magical artifacts no one mentioned up until this point. There is a long running subplot where we learn Dumbledore was bffs with Wizard Hitler and had family drama because of it (this is where JKR later inserted that he was gay). They eventually make it back to Hogwarts have a final battle where a bunch of people die (and we learn Snape was a good guy all along! Also he forces Harry to look him in the eyes as he's dying so he can pretend its Harry's mom doing so)

Skip ahead 19 years later, Harry married Ginny and decided to name his second kid loving Albus Severus Potter because he hates him I guess. That kid will later become estranged and go on a wacky time travelling adventure with Voldemort's daughter.

I got too scared by your summary and closed my eyes! I STILL don't know how it ends!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

Dumbledore's ghost glances over the top of his ghost newspaper and tells Dead Harry "yeah I planned it just like this".

What I'm seeing is, that Voldemort is still on the loose and Harry Potter, our last hope, Has now died and been abducted by a ghost. I hate to say it folks, but it might just be time to pledge allegiance to the dark lord

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

josh04 posted:

But wait, there's a twist!

I'm sorry, it's all over. The time has come. All hail he who must not be pictured.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rAzjEDIyEI

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
In a sense all the ghosts have horcruxes, probably, magical paintings and graven artifacts stolen from goblins, axes that are used to behead people, used to bind them to the earth. It makes sense voldemort was a ghost, probably more sense because it is not explained like in a book or by a character explicitly.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sydin posted:

I still find it hilarious that there are apparently zero remedial options available to students who don't fail their exams. Like it is posited to Harry that unless he gets x,y,z grades at the ripe old age of 15, his dream is dead forever. You'd think if there were other options McGonagall would have gone "well hey a wizard FBI agent, that's just great. You need top marks to do that right out of school, but don't sweat it if you don't ace potions: the ministry has a continuing education program you can do that - if you eventually show NEWT level mastery - will let you become an Auror."

But nah, if you gently caress up at 15 you are hosed up for life. It's all the poo poo my HS councilors would yell at me when I was 15, didn't give a flying gently caress about anything, and barely scraping C's except actually true instead of flatout bullshit used to try to bully hormonal teenagers into caring about their coursework.

A wizarding job interview basically consist of magically manipulating your graders or the interviewer so that they will believe you aced everything, but given that this is a common practice the interviewer has all sort of countermanipulation spells at his disposal. In the end, if the wizard gets the job, the grades are deemed irrelevant anyway because they just unquestioningly proved their magical abilities

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
We almost never see Moody's real character, unless he is really the eyeball

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I registered a Space Jam 2 pitch with the WGA, nobody ever got back to me about it. It had a little crossover idea in there, (The Gorillaz play halftime) which I would assume is a normal easy idea everyone would have but weirdly the villain is named "Al," so I am now half expecting to have written the plot of this movie I know nothing about.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In more of my teenage fanfic Potter universe posting, I would’ve really liked “you have to mean it” was a real thing. In particular as a way to explain why the death eaters aren’t just casting death spell at everyone but Harry in every fight. In the headcanon, you really, really have to mean it. Dudes like Lucius Malfoy can’t just blast avada kedavra left and right- he’s in with the nazis for money and power, he has no qualms with people dying for it, but at the end of the day he’s too cowardly to pull the trigger himself on some rando, especially a kid.

That could also add something to Voldemort: he’s one of only a few evil bastards that can actually just cast the murder spell anywhere, any time.

He WAS about to kill Harry Potter before dobby stopped him, at least in the movie

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well he didn't know anything about that. It's more like he didn't try to kill Harry because he was 100 feet from Dumbledore and also he would be committing murder in front of at least one witness.

Headline: Miracle Boy Kills Snake, Elf, Self

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
My favorite wizard's christmas tradition is the spiced house elf puddings

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This Christmas we enjoyed a House Elf's pudding. This is when, after a house elf has died, his veins and insides and cavities are filled with a custard, then he is taken to a vat filled with a special sugar-solvent potion to sit for five years. At the end of five years, his meat and bones have congealed into a kind of a sweet jellied syrup. It is then served.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Buttchocks posted:

They were originally servants' tunnels, but when they added the bathrooms they thought "why add separate pipes when we can just make the house elves wade through sewage?"

Call the enchanted plumber, there's a wall of elf corpses backing up the pipes.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The bidet isn't working!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Feldegast42 posted:

Johnny Depp's character is kind of important to Dumbledore's arc and the rest of the HP backstory to the point where I have no idea what they are going to do for part 3. Somehow try to recast him? Kill him offscreen and have Dumbledore be the big bad for some convoluted reason?

Polyjuice potion.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
It's an ENCHANTED goat

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Has everyone watched the harry potter claymation by now? It's more violent than either the books or the warner brothers movie.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A romantic comedy featuring voldemort going on a bunch of dates to destroy harry potter, until he falls in love for real and needs Harry's help to win her over.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

please read,

another book

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aardvark! posted:

he's from an alternate universe version of the thread where we're all showing off our deathly hallows tattoos

*Presses dark mark to summon all posters back into the thread*

Goyle Blows

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Sydin posted:

Yeah Radcliffe, Watson, and Grint all seem to have gotten out fairly unscathed from a stupid level of childhood fame and fortune. All of them also pretty quickly worked to disassociate their images from their HP roles so they could move on to doing other poo poo.

What are you talking about? Rupert Grint went insane and recreated the life of Elvis. Then they caught him and put him in a cage in las vegas where people throw banana peels at him.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

reignofevil posted:

Somewhere Lucius has a 76 step plan where like ten steps in he resurrects Voldemort and then somewhere around step 58 he overthrows Voldemort. After that he probably achieves his ultimate goal of displacing Hagrid and he takes a senior position on the schoolboard with veto power on letting anybody else join.

step one: kill head of pta

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Zore posted:

I mean he also almost got Ginny Weasley's soul eaten by Voldemort's and tried to frame her for murder to gently caress with her father. And he tried to murder Harry in public when he accidentally freed Dobby.

It's really miraculous that getting the wind knocked out of him completely quieted all murderous desire

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
What do wizards think of movies, and do they like them better or worse than enchanted pictures

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Bloogy Hell Harry, this must be real magic, Ron said, watching a man doing marionettes on the subway

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Guy A. Person posted:

Presumably they are even more annoying than the typical cinema sins type doing poo poo like going "heh why didn't Gandalf just use Confliglero what kind of wizard is he :smug:" and annoying the poo poo out of everyone around them

Maybe a wizard, fooled into thinking a rival wizard and the eye of sauron were real phenomena, congered up a counterspell that really caused an incident

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
This convo has been getting stale and as Head Wizard Poobah of this thread I am imposing a new rule. If you level a nonspecific complaint about the quality of JK Rowling's writing, like

Ccs posted:

Is there a consensus about when JKR's writing really turned for the worse? Was it when she moved away from the more middle-grade writing of the series toward the death and destruction of the last book? Or did it take until The Cursed Child and the recent Fantastic Beasts movies for her writing to really degrade?

Then the post MUST also contain a passage of a story about wizards, fantasy and/or magic of the poster's own creation. It must be a continuing story, or passages about the same world, and the author needs to take it 100% seriously. No jokey 2000s era something awful, riker pooping and vomiting on the holodeck. Real feelings about wizards. Otherwise, probation. I assume, based on nothing, the mods will back me up here.

If you have real critique or criticism, it has to be specific and about what is in the books and movies. That's ok. Just no more boring effigy.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CainFortea posted:

Do you think JKR has stairs in her house?

She hired a wizard named grover to enchant some floating planks of wood

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Jazerus posted:

cursed child is absolutely on another tier of bad from the first seven books, but HBP is where the wheels really start falling off imo. OotP is a possible candidate but i think it's reasonably solid in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

I don't see any wizard fiction......

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Aardvark! posted:

OP how come JK Rowling never wrote at length about the wonderful magic powers of magical animal jizz? Just a thought.

If the admins won't even give you your full avatar, what makes you think Rowling's publishers would let her publish the jizzmarillion?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

I mean I wrote a whole book about wizards, heavily inspired by HP. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

In terms of real critique or criticism that cites passages, it's difficult because my copy of the books are in another country. I have hazy memories of a pretty solid 6 books and a bunch of suddenly introduced wand lore nonsense in the 7th that made the conclusion not land as well as it should have. I think the movies actually improve on this because spacing the last book into 2 films made the introduction of the Elder Wand and its rules more gradual. Also that excellently art directed sequence of the 3 brothers, one of the highlights of the series post Cuaron's 3rd film (which I didn't like at the time because the characters were suddenly all wearing muggle clothes.)

But Cursed Child is next level in terms of the amount of shenanigans introduced. Returning to the Time Turners, already the most broken part of the universe, and introducing upgraded ones throughout the acts to further the timeline nonsense. Does everything always have to be about Voldemort or the legacy of of the original characters? Wouldn't it be more interesting to examine how the wizarding world has changed after Voldemort's defeat? A daughter of Voldemort isn't a bad idea for a villain, but having to rehash the events of the original series definitely makes it feel like fanfiction or some strange "What If?" scenario rather than anything expanding the world.

As another poster said about Fantastic Beasts, these ancillary pieces of the HP franchise are too reliant on the plot beats that worked before. Give us something new to enjoy about the wizarding world.

That's amazing! And I appreciate the crit too. You should still post some excerpts from it, just in the interest of having more here to talk about.

amigolupus posted:

OP, how did Hagrid's dad bang his mom? Did he cast Engorgio on his dick, or did he magic the mom to be smaller than him?

He crawled in, dummy

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

Please have it be wizard stories that don't have to be set in the HP world, I'll write up and submit the first draft of a story I've been turning over in my mind and could use some beta-readers.

If you made a thread on CC I bet you'd get some feedback! Lots of people in the wings there wanting to enjoy some art.

reignofevil posted:

No such promises regarding our wizard-writing rules in this thread though! Funky will know who has broken their hallowed decree.

Hey, call me Al.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

reignofevil posted:

Is that a capital I or a lowercase L these are the kind of questions that haunt me.

It's L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Cranappleberry posted:

Part 54 in the (unexpectedly) wildly popular series on Vernon Dursley, Uncle of Harry "I Smell A Rat" Potter: Drills.

For a general overview we go to The Daily Prophet's Outside Muggle Expert, Arthur Weasley:

"Drills. Wow. I mean they're just great. Fascinating stuff, really!" exclaims Arthur, 60 president of the Muggle-Wizard Alliance and Head of The Ministry's Muggle-Relations office. "See what they do is amazing. They are part of the Muggle mating ritual." He says while nodding excitedly and animatedly moving his hands.

"They take these drills, right, which are basically like icecream cones made of metal that spin really fast and are incredibly destructive." He says twirling his wand dangerously. "Then what they do is attach them to the arms of giant suits of armor which are powered entirely by eccentricity somehow." He is standing on his desk now. "These suits then fight each other and this simulates the act of love-making and really gets their Muggle juices flowing." He is now pretending to be two "suits of armor" battling. He punches himself in the chest. "I learned about this from an awesome muggle documentary called Lucky Star." Finally he makes an explosion noise with his mouth and jumps off the desk into a pile of folders. He emerges laughing maniacally.

Arthur Weasley refuses to reveal how he came into possession of such... enlightening materials. However, this sheds light on notable muggle, Vernon Dursley and his chosen career...

Now this is my kinda post