Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

TheAardvark posted:

Sometimes my brain blanks and all I can think of is Stoop Kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

The game looks like it has a decent amount of combat, which really sucks in the HP world.

Not to mention that the two best games I've played recently are Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds, both of which are pretty much combat free. I don't think a HP game should have no combat, but it's always portrayed as something that's a last resort and that kids aren't particularly good at. In some of the videos it looks like you're just indiscriminately blasting a bunch of mooks at parts.

I guess there was that sort of action in the last book/movie, but to me the best parts of HP are the wonder and mystery. Give me a huge castle and surrounding areas to explore with lots of hidden secrets. Let me uncover lore about the wizarding world that hopefully doesn't do the Star Wars thing of making everything even more interconnected. I think it'd be a lot more interesting of a game if it went for book 3/4 energy rather than book 6/7.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

mods please change my name to and/or send me to the Bean Bonus Room

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

awkwerd paws posted:

if you drink polyjuice and jack off is that rape

You have to get their DNA from somewhere so if you get it with consent no but if not then yes. Sex criminals will definitely try to argue that their friends did in fact consent to share this when they took a poo poo at their house with the mysteriously broken toilet and they will convince themselves they are doing no wrong as they fish your poops out of said toilet to put into tonight's JO potion.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

amigolupus posted:

I think this was in the third book? But yeah, there was even a witch who was famous for alloweing herself to get caught tons of times because she found the idea of being burned alive "fun". At no point does the section mention that witches saved the falsely accused muggle women from the same fate.

This was America, I believe you mean "No-Maj" women.

Ror fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 14, 2020

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

at this excerpt from the HP wiki

quote:

Later in life, Hermione would advance the rights of house-elves in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, before transferring to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.

Hermione joins wizard ICE and convinces herself that she is helping out the good ones

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Yestermoment posted:

Computer, show me "Dobby Hardcore". Disable safety protocols.

Is there any way to generate a nude Snape?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Wearing my black armband for Aragog today.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Harry also had a really fat trust fund, didnít he? He basically inherited the fortunes of the Potters and the Blacks and got that sweet Gringotts interest. Not that wizard finances make any sense in the first place.

https://twitter.com/mesut_ausil/status/1185349964785840129?s=21

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Hedrigall posted:

Of course they donít teach math at hogwarts, you can just fuckin wave a wand for like 41 times 16 or whatever and the numbers appear in glowing green letters in the air, duh

Hedrigall posted:

Also structures stay up due to magic not due to boring things like physics and engineering so why learn a single math

I guess the laziness of wizards shouldnít be surprising when they couldnít be bothered to not poo poo themselves and just fix it with magic.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

SlothfulCobra posted:

They made a big deal of them being the "unforgiveable curses" when they were first introduced, but in the last book, all the heroes are just throwing them around like nobody's business instead of doing weird creative spells to solve their problems, so it feels like they're pretty fuckin' forgiveable.

Like they should be doing a bunch of weird goofy spells to fight back against the deatheaters instead of just shooting the same bullet spells back at them. I've seen a whole lot more interesting magical combat than that.

lol iíve read all these books but I had no memory of Harry using two of the unforgivable curses in the later ones. I remembered that they get the goblins to help them against their will during the bank heist but forgot that it was just straight up unforgivable mind control. And I guess I did remember him trying to use crucio against Bellatrix but failing because heís too nice, but then in the next book he just uses the water boarding spell spur of the moment to stop someone instead of his signature disarm. They both just seem... unnecessary and probably kind of a big deal?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Is it ever established how old magic and wizarding are?

Looking up the curses actually brought this to mind and apparently the unforgivable curses were so deemed in the 1700s. And itís just British law I guess? Thereís no real indication that they are innately the 3 Big Ones in all of the magical world. JK should have just leaned into the Christian uproar and written that Cain was the first person to Avada Kedavra someone.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of them doing terrible things, honestly the memory altering/erasing spell should be illegal too. Maybe not ' lifetime in Azkaban' level, but it's pretty drat horrific at its core.

This too. Love potions seem to be all-powerful and highly immoral in HP world and Polyjuice potion is waaay too effective to be as unregulated as it is. There is a lot of hosed up magic out there. Now that I think of it though, if you could only learn one segment of magic it seems like potions is where itís at for power and variety.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Did apperating appear before like book 5? It seemed a lot like one of those things that was added later that totally ignored all the joy and wonderment that the earlier books were built on to just be boring and functional.

Like a lot of the world, itís written in the later books in a way to solidify it as a specific magical thing and so it sort of retroactively explains some of the earlier oblique references. Wizard teleportation exists as of the second book but it isnít identified as a skill/spell called Apparition until book three. And then by book 5 you have all of the rules and loopholes and whatnot explicitly spelled out by characters.

Ror fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 28, 2020

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

I also tried to ignore it for as long as possible but JK is trending again today. Apparently she had some RFK human rights award and one of the Kennedys has recently criticized her transphobia, so she has returned the award. Itís just pissbaby wetting herself again but itís fun to think that she realized she wasnít worthy of a human rights award.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

I always forget that Hufflepuff is the only good house because all of the other Hogwarts founders were exclusionary assholes and Helga was the only one who didnít care who she taught.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Didnít Voldemort gently caress his snake before it was a snake? When it was just the asian lady not named Cho Chang?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

it is canon that Hagrid is a bachelor his whole life, but does Hagrid gently caress? he goes on some dates with that huge alilison janney lady but I never got the impression that he scored.

I am concerned for the well-being of some of the magical creatures

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Itís canon that squibs get treated like poo poo by wizards so itís not really surprising that Filch hated everyone at Hogwarts. He gets painted as spineless when Umbridge takes over and he happily starts working for her but she actually gives him real work to do as security. He probably liked the government hardass who treated him like a low-level employee better than all the supposedly enlightened Ďniceí wizards who treated him like a lovely house elf. Except house elfs have super powerful magic so even they get more respect from the world and from Rowling than those garbage squibs.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

C'mon, Snape clearly made weed tinctures.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

I don't know what you'd call it, but the way the lore of the series is so back-loaded feels frustrating in the same way that retconning does. It's not that JK necessarily straight up changes things from the first couple of books, but so many of the plot points that wind up really mattering to the overall story are things that are added late.

The Deathly Hallows stuff is easily the worst of it because it's all crammed into the last book and the entire series climax is based on some random unfamiliar bullshit about them.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Voldemort was the original victim of cancel culture. He wouldnít have had to do what he did if Dunbledore didnít deplatform him by not letting him teach at Hogwarts.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Sydin posted:

I looked up if Rowling ever said what happened to Umbridge and apparently she got sent to Azkaban, lol. I keep having to remind myself that nothing about the status quo changes after the books wrap up, and Harry goes on to be cop who throws people into a remote island jail guarded by soul sucking creatures of dark magic.

The soul sucking creatures all get fired at the end of the series. Except theyíre creatures of pure evil and being prison guards was the only remotely useful they could do, so now theyíre just freely flying around the world loving people up?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

I was going to make some sort of crack about buying house elves but I realized that how house elves are acquired is never explained, despite there being specific rules to free them. They seem to stay with families and Winky says that her parents and grandparents also worked for the Crouches. But who knows if you can buy them on Diagon Alley or if you have to find them and just use the "it's forgivable it's just a house elf" Imperio. Helga Hufflepuff is said to have "brought" the elves to Hogwarts, so either she owned a "veritable legion" of elf slaves or she just organized the horrific round-up.

The history of this relationship with wizards is also not explored whatsoever. Goblins are given this whole complex and shaky relationship with human wizards but I guess house elves are just natural slaves with a need to be subservient? I could maybe understand why Rowling wouldn't want to explore these touchy issues but there are multiple moments in the books where the situation is literally called out as hosed up slavery and then dropped.

@ JK's quote about it

quote:

Yeah, it's a complicated issue. I would say that Hufflepuff gave ó Hufflepuff did what was the most moral thing to do at that time, and we are talking about over a thousand years ago. So that would be to give them good conditions of work. There was no kind of activism there, so no one's gonna say, "Here's an idea. Let's, let's free them. Let's, uh, let's pay them." It was just "well, we'll bring them somewhere that they can work and not be abused."

But they all still work at Hogwarts in the 21st century because they like it.

fake edit: oh no, there are African house elves called Yumboes, I've gone too deep

real edit: oh my god, I totally forgot that harry owned kreacher at the end of the series and one of his first thoughts after killing voldemort is "man it would be nice if my slave brought me a sandwich"

Ror fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 15, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

https://twitter.com/floppyadult/status/1382740631110373386

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Based on my extensive knowledge of numerology and my obsession with Final Fantasy Tactics it seems pretty obvious to me that Arithmancy is the most powerful type of magic.

Actually I think I previously argued that Potions is probably the strongest and most versatile if you only knew one type of magic. Polyjuice, luck potion, truth serum...

It might actually be whatever the type of Charms that focuses on enchanting objects is. It seems like the most powerful magic in HP comes from enchanted objects, like the Marauder's Map or the invisibility cloak. Time turners. Mirror of Erised. They're all crazy powerful and stable magic, requiring little skill from the users. I guess it's not really clear how some objects are enchanted/created. Like the Philosopher's Stone is "created" by what they call an alchemist, does he Tony Stark a rock into a new element?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

I...worked on this cursed horcrux ring for a year...and...Dumbledore just...he put it on.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Polyjuice potion is absurd. I don't really recall there being any strict rules surrounding it either, it's just supposed to be difficult to make with rare ingredients. But in the series it's effectively used in some of the largest crimes/heists known to the wizarding world. It's a potion that pretty much every one has heard of and they don't really act like it's a problem.

JKR posted:

The fact that Hermione is able to make a competent Polyjuice Potion at the age of twelve is testimony to her outstanding magical ability, because it is a potion that many adult witches and wizards fear to attempt.

That makes sense... right? IIRC the only negative consequence ever mentioned is when Hermione turns herself into a catgirl. And that's not even a bad brewing job, she just used the wrong hair. I guess the creation in general is mostly handwaved away as just being something not many wizards do. Maybe it's like finding someone who makes LSD in real life. But I can't imagine there not being scores of wizards who were big fans of polyjuice for various unseemly reasons.

It's also undetectable-ish, except when JK needs to hit a plot point. The Marauder's Map, one of the most incredible magical artifacts known in the series created by lovely 70s teens, can see through it for some reason. And then in the last book it is revealed that Gringotts has a spell called Thief's Downfall that breaks it because it "washes away all enchantment, all magical concealment." Gee, sure would be useful to put some spells like that on Azkaban.

Ror fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 2, 2021

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

halokiller posted:

So what happened to the dementors, you know the unkillable, soul-sucking demon monsters?

Literally just fired. Like the aurors come in to take over Azkaban and just shoo them away. As far as we know Dementors are native to Azkaban and acting as evil wards for the people dropped off there seems to be giving them purpose. But now you have created a diaspora of horrific soul suckers looking for something to do.

And again, Azkaban kinda sucks as a prison actually, itís just an island with Dementors. They donít mention any overhauls to the system to make it stronger or more humane, itís just staffed with Aurors now. It absolutely just becomes Gitmo for undesirable wizards.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

We regret to inform you that it is Pius Thicknesse.

We have some unfortunate news. It is Pius Thicknesse, and we apologize.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

kissing cousins with photoshopping my little ponies into the holocaust. continuing to beg people to read another book unless they want these brainworms.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

british people be like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Everything's purrfect!

Voldemort should have started a broom company. He is one of the only wizards who can actually make himself fly so obviously he has the greatest mastery of flight magic the world has ever seen. If he had applied himself and created the Fire Nimbus Bolt 9000 he would have enough money for the Death Eaters to take over the world. My man already looks like Jeff Bezos, might as well have his buying power too.