Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Feldegast42 posted:

Did anyone ever read that fanfic that imagined Harry as a radical athiest incel that reddit loved

I read a chapter or two, saw it brought up elsewhere by someone trying to show how good it was and to try and impose its version of magic rules on someone else's goofy fun piece, leading to a really good takedown, that IIRC goes something like: 'In HPatMoR it is a big deal that Harry is the first one to ever do a partial transmutation, since it has always been an all or nothing thing. Meanwhile in cannon, Neville's teapot is skittering up the wall on spider legs/trying to get into a mousehole/is furry.' I also remember that the guy who wrote the story never read one of the books or watched one of the movies, and thought it was all stupid and he could make a better one after reading like wikipedia summaries.

amigolupus posted:

What's really stupid is that while Dumbledore used the excuse of being afraid Voldemort would read Harry's mind to not tell him anything, he eventually admits that the real reason he tried to keep Harry out of everything is because he wanted Harry to keep being an innocent child. There's just so many things wrong about it. A) Harry's already a focal point in this war because Voldemort's targeting him, and he already asked why Voldemort wanted to kill him when he was eleven, B) Harry's not a kid, and is just two years away from being considered a legal adult by wizards C) Harry grew up in an abusive home and had to yearly deal with Hogwarts being a massive death trap, that poo poo will make you grow up fast.

And this is probably a large part of why from book 5 onwards people were jumping onto the idea of Dumbledore being secretly evil. Because at that point if you believe you can actually keep someone innocent and out of the fight after the fight has shaped their whole life you are either deluding yourself or talking out your rear end.

Really didn't help that the conclusion to the whole war with Voldy involved Harry basically just walking into a death curse, so for pretty much the last 13-17 years anything fans tried to write about the universe defaulted to Dumbles being capital E EVIL, or just really loving incompetent and stupid.

Can I say that I really, really don't get where so many people find their love for Snape from? I mean, aside from wanting to gently caress the version they have in their minds, of course. Dude had one friend he really cared about, who cared about him, then after getting an in with the magic Neo-Nazis and joining them to improve his own social standing he gets pissed that his childhood crush, a member of the group the magic neo-nazis hate most, doesn't marry him and instead marries the good looking rich jock who A) bullied him, and B) is not a magical neo-nazi. He gets so pissed he brings part of a prophecy to wizard Palpantine so that he can have his crush's son and husband killed.

Maybe he thought that if Lily was single again she would instantly get together with him, because she was nice to him when they were kids. I cannot see it possibly ending in a way that didn't involve brainwashing or dungeons though, most people would be unwilling to romance a person who put on their family after all.

And then he spends over a decade helping encourage Slytherin to be a racist cesspit by rewarding them unconditionally and keeping them from facing consequences, while taking out his rage on the jock house because his own poor decisions pushed his crush away from him and he didn't think she cared about her baby enough to die for it.

People think he is a good person, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Low combat Metroidvania, spells are your tools, gently caress it designs itself.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Harry Potter and the absolutely nothing happens is why I never actually got around to reading curse of the sidequests

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So how many of the foreign wizards are going to turn out to be evil and/or incompetent because only European (British) wizards are proper people?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
When I was younger I got caught up in the idea that Dumbledore's actions, even if they weren't actually willfully evil, were more harmful than he meant them to be, for Harry, and for the world in general. Things like continuing on with the house system, not actively punishing the virulent racism in the school, stuff like that. The interpretation I really like even at this point can be summed up as '80 years ago you were a revolutionary. 40 years ago you were a progressive. Now you're the sort of old conservative you used to hate'.

So its been really bizarre to see him turn into 'Wizard Jesus: this one was gay (he never scored)'

Still like the setting, but only for what others do with it, often going completely against everything JK stands for. That is the version I care about and remember, not floorshitting wizards and Dumbles actively stopping people who wanted to stop Nazis.

Holy Crap JK is awful

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The GBC game was amazing when I was a kid, but man did it have baffling decisions. One of the combat mechanics is card combos, where you burn some of your collectible cards to get an effect. What is the effect? Well you might get some idea from the combo name, but whether the effect is actually useful or not is unclear before you actually use the thing. I remember using 'telegraph punch' because that sounded cool, but it just telegraphed my next attacks to the enemy and made them tougher. I never really used them again after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
On the note of fanfiction, one I should have brought up when the discourse was going down was The Havoc Side of the Force and its accompanying side story The Unsuspecting Side of the Force. A Harry who is burned out on the hero for being a hero thing has gone full mercenary and gets paid by governments to track down criminals (who he robs blind while capturing) gets thrown into Star Wars Episode 1, and proceeds to blunder around, completely derailing the plot and doing his best to stop slavery. It is kind of/really over the top and goofy, but at times it is actually pretty good about character writing, showing Harry to be overall fairly broken man who's actions and opinions are a result of just how much his life screwed him up.