Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Iíll always have a lot of nostalgia for this series. At least half the movies were great fun and the books are a wonderful read. My second grade teacher read the first one to our class before the series had really taken off so it was quite something to watch it grow into this world encompassing franchise over the years. And tragic to watch the creator own herself repeatedly in Graham Linehan esque fashion. Itís almost a gift that everything Wizarding World since then has been underwhelming or straight up bad.

It also introduced me to this amazing illustrator. I recently commissioned a book cover from him for my own fantasy novel and his work is absolutely the tops.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wizardingworld/status/1259475663582572545

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I remember the sixth movie being a huge step up from the fifth, though 5 did have a pretty cool fight at the end. Canít remember enough of the books prose the compare the two though.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm still perplexed when people recommend Methods of Rationality as one of the best fanfiction they've read. I guess it's got a hook because it's such an odd thing to insert into the HP universe, but it's not, uh, pleasant to read.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If this is too self-promotional, someone tell me off and I'll remove it, but I mentioned earlier how I got one of the Harry Potter cover artists to the do the cover to my own fantasy book. The history of this thing is, well, back in 2017 I tried my hand at writing a fanfiction about Ron as an auror in a fantasy world working for a group of muggles trying to stamp out rogue wizards to preserve peace. Eventually I dispensed with the fanfiction roots and retooled things so it's actually a corrupt order of wizards controlling magic. Then that got further retooled, drafts became further drafts...

Anyway if anyone wants to read it, it'll be free to download this weekend, or it's currently available to read for free on Kindle Unlimited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

Ironically I didn't even tell the cover artist about the Ron connection and he made his hair red anyway, almost like he knew...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is there a consensus about when JKR's writing really turned for the worse? Was it when she moved away from the more middle-grade writing of the series toward the death and destruction of the last book? Or did it take until The Cursed Child and the recent Fantastic Beasts movies for her writing to really degrade?

I have too much nostalgia wrapped up in the original 7 books to say any of them were written badly but everything I've seen of Cursed Child just seems comically bad and while the first Fantastic Beasts was sort of alright, Crimes of Grindlewald was an incoherent mess.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The plot summary of Cursed Child reads like the ravings of a madman who just binged the original series and hasn't slept in a week. The fact that it got good reviews means those actors were really pulling their weight.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

This convo has been getting stale and as Head Wizard Poobah of this thread I am imposing a new rule. If you level a nonspecific complaint about the quality of JK Rowling's writing, like

Then the post MUST also contain a passage of a story about wizards, fantasy and/or magic of the poster's own creation. It must be a continuing story, or passages about the same world, and the author needs to take it 100% seriously.

I mean I wrote a whole book about wizards, heavily inspired by HP. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

In terms of real critique or criticism that cites passages, it's difficult because my copy of the books are in another country. I have hazy memories of a pretty solid 6 books and a bunch of suddenly introduced wand lore nonsense in the 7th that made the conclusion not land as well as it should have. I think the movies actually improve on this because spacing the last book into 2 films made the introduction of the Elder Wand and its rules more gradual. Also that excellently art directed sequence of the 3 brothers, one of the highlights of the series post Cuaron's 3rd film (which I didn't like at the time because the characters were suddenly all wearing muggle clothes.)

But Cursed Child is next level in terms of the amount of shenanigans introduced. Returning to the Time Turners, already the most broken part of the universe, and introducing upgraded ones throughout the acts to further the timeline nonsense. Does everything always have to be about Voldemort or the legacy of of the original characters? Wouldn't it be more interesting to examine how the wizarding world has changed after Voldemort's defeat? A daughter of Voldemort isn't a bad idea for a villain, but having to rehash the events of the original series definitely makes it feel like fanfiction or some strange "What If?" scenario rather than anything expanding the world.

As another poster said about Fantastic Beasts, these ancillary pieces of the HP franchise are too reliant on the plot beats that worked before. Give us something new to enjoy about the wizarding world.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I'll have to run it by Roth and also figure out if we ever actually did anything with the last person who became idiot king but probably yes.

Please have it be wizard stories that don't have to be set in the HP world, I'll write up and submit the first draft of a story I've been turning over in my mind and could use some beta-readers.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 27, 2021

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ccs posted:

As another poster said about Fantastic Beasts, these ancillary pieces of the HP franchise are too reliant on the plot beats that worked before. Give us something new to enjoy about the wizarding world.

Speaking of this point, the Hogwarts Legacy game that's set in 1800s seems like exactly the kind of thing the franchise needs to expand it beyond the borders of its tired story beats. I want to see some wizards going up against some alchemists experimenting with new and dangerous forms of magic or something.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

That's kind of just The Magicians which is about a college where people go to learn real magic. Unlike the Wizarding World magic is extremely difficult to do because you need to know and involves a lot of math and knowledge of the position of heavenly bodies at all times.

Yeah apart from a section of the second book, The Magicians is a really solid take on this. If you're looking for other books about wizards and their struggles I also highly recommend Christopher Buehlman's The Necromancer's House. It's like what if one of the self-taught magic-users from The Magicians acquired his power in an incredibly risky way and is now being hunted by an incredibly powerful supernatural force. The characters are also not upper class twits like The Magicians cast, on account of the difference between Buehlman and Lev Grossman's lived experiences.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Build those incredibly complex cells tailored to specific individual's skillsets from the one season of Korra

e: this would also provide of new cop jobs as the defeat of the muggle-born stigma leads to a boom in the wizarding population

Haha I just finished rewatching that season. Those cells were cool. Also great season (3, if anyone wants to rewatch it.)

Though it did strike me that Korra sure is a progressive world for not having the death penalty for like the 4 most wanted criminals ever.

Is there the death penalty in Harry Potter? Or dementors were always seen as bad enough?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Honestly it really bugged me when the White Lotus society was reastablished as the Avatar's handlers and some kind of world-police or something. Are they still supposed to be a secret society? Are the jails public knowledge or are they some kind of gitmo situation? Are the White Lotus funded by the four nations?

That was one of Zaheer's criticism of them. He says his organization is what the White Lotus was meant to be, but after the 100 year war they stopped being a secret society and became a tool of the nations and protectors of the Avatar-in-training. That's part of why he wants to wipe them out, because they've become part of what he sees as an oppressive ruling power structure.

Zesty posted:

Visit the wiki before the next movie and get Jude Law constantly staring at you from an picture that should have been deleted from the roll because there's no way that was the intended expression.

Are there actually plans for another Fantastic Beasts movie? I suspected that the second did so badly they called the whole thing off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I started writing my new wizard story. Maybe Iíll start posting it here.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

reignofevil posted:

I've gotten the go ahead from Roth to open up the contest, I'll have the thread up by this evening eastern standard time.

Nice. Is there a link to the thread anywhere?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The simplest explanation is that the first paragraph describes his early years, the second maybe the last 3 years.

Could also just be inconsistency. Are those from separate books or the same volume?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

As a child I was really pissed off when they all started wearing muggle clothes in the third film. Muggle clothes are supposed to be weird and strange to the majority of wizardom!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

halokiller posted:

I think even in the books the wizard robes are nowhere near as garish as a typical graduation gown. Though I wish they would have played it up more in the movies.

Lol I actually like these

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There should be an incredible black market for spells to screw with sports games.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Came across this. Assuming LeGuin only read the first book, Iím wondering what ethically mean spirited aspects she saw within the work from the beginning.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Leehambones/status/1393985802766626821

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I have a question: Did anyone in this thread read the books after they were all released? Or start reading them as they were released when you were a teenager? I have a theory that the only people that Harry Potter really resonates with are people who grew up with the books, meaning you were probably between the ages of 7 and 12 when the first book was released. If a 10 year old tries to read the books now theyíll probably enjoy the first few and start getting freaked out by the later ones. Similarly, most teenagers wouldnít have started reading a childrenís book series because theyíre not the target demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

My favorite covers are still the Thai 20th Anniversary ones which I think I posted about before. The artist, Arch Apolar, is just incredible. He combines experience as an architecture graduate and designing dharma books as an ordained monk with his later training at an art school that focused on entertainment design, and the result is mind blowing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/wizardingworld/status/1259475663582572545

Check out his Instagram for detail pics of each cover:

https://www.instagram.com/apolar.arch/?hl=en

I was so taken by his work that I commissioned a book cover from him. Wasnít cheap but he did amazing work

https://mobile.twitter.com/ArchApolar/status/1385608079580954625