Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sleeveless posted:

Considering they're some of the best-selling and most popular books of all time I think they're probably fine the way they are.

Yes, they're clearly impossible to improve, Guy Mann rereg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The secret bad guy in Book 1 was the guy wearing a turban.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It was written by a committee of idiots trying to check all the boxes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is that worse or better?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Moon Monster posted:

The book was also written before the US declared war on "those turban-y types" and the UK joined immediately, so I'd believe Rowling was just trying to think of a hat that covered the back of your head.

The US, famous for not getting involved in the middle east until after 1997. To say nothing of UK's involvement with the Middle East until that point as well.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 11, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Last night I started my complete reread of the entire Harry Potter series. It’s been a long long time since I actually read these. I want to be better equipped to making fun of it and also enjoy the Shrieking podcast a little more by following along with it.

I fell asleep before finishing the first chapter. Off to a great start.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
JK will never be forgiven for this.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just finished rereading Chamber of Secrets. loving Christ. Harry was a blank slate without any opinions or personality. He was only there to self-insert on.

All the plot holes everyone always mentions on top of that.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Arthur Weasley is a cop. Aurors are state sponsored bounty hunters who occasionally have to guard the prison post-1998.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

josh04 posted:

Sounds like some Rowling bullshit to me!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Say what now?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Between his time at school and when he became a public figure, he apparently traveled the world and did strange transfigurations on himself and was unrecognizable as Tom Riddle.

I can't remember if this was in the books or the Shrieking Shack podcast mentioned it. I'm currently on Azkaban on my read-through.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

I thought the books implied him becoming more snake like was because of ripping his soul up in making the horcruxes.

I think what I described was the earlier explanation and what you described was what Rowling settled on what did it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No, it's Fascism. See also: Umbridge

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

W.T. Fits posted:

It doesn't help that Arthur basically took a low-paying, less prestigious government job because it aligned with his hobbies instead of going into a business that would actually make him money to provide for his family.

Also, it's pretty heavily implied throughout the books that the reason why the Weasleys have so many kids is because Molly wanted a daughter, and they just kept trying until they got one.

Nothing wrong with someone working where they're happy. They're never portrayed as starving and still manage to take care of everyone AND every single child of theirs excels.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

Harry does act more and more like a jackass as he gets older...

How unrealistic about a teenager.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Conjuring "sauce" from a wand, in Goblet of Fire. Okay, Jo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

reignofevil posted:

Hermione is the real hero of the franchise it's just a shame she ends up with Ron and not on some Auror watch list after sparking off a goblin revolution.

I'm on book 4 of my re-read and Hermione has yet to feel like a decently written character who deserves respect. Even now, Jo is presenting stupid poo poo like, "Oh you hate the house-elf slavery but you're still eating food from the Great Hall? Ha. Guess you aren't that determined."

Shrieking Cast podcast brought up some pottermore list saying that that the Time Turner chapter was Hermione's best in the series. YIKES. I'd hate to think it's all downhill from there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What the gently caress, Jo?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Seriously, Jo, what the gently caress?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's so bad.

[...]

Arthur is immune because he's happily married. Hermione and Ginny, of course, are also immune because there's no way a woman would fall for a beautiful woman.

JK Rowling, everybody. :jerkbag:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rowling seems to have a real problem with attractive people in this book. Cedric was a cool nice guy in the last book. In this one he's just a dumb pretty boy. And Fleur is just a dumb pretty (and vain) girl. and Hermione is not like those other girls, thank you very much.

Which contrasts with how she always writes bad people as unattractive. Pansy Parkinson's pug face. Snape's hook nose. Petunia and her horse face. Those fat Dursleys and their fat fat fatty fat.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 26, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GimpInBlack posted:

Go back and reread those passages, paying particular attention to how often Rita's features are described as "mannish," "unusually large," or similarly masculine-coded descriptors, and also how the stereotypically feminine aspects of her appearance are a) almost all fashion/makeup rather than her intrinsic physical features and b) described as gaudy, excessive, or almost parodic. It pretty neatly dovetails with the transphobic stereotype of "man in a dress trying too hard to be feminine to overcompensate."

Not to mention the whole TERF ideal of "Someone is being represented as someone they're not" is a frequently used theme throughout the book.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've been seeing that in each of the first four books.

Reading them pretty slowly because I listen to the podcast afterwards, and I'm not always in a position to jump between podcasts and reading.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably still the idea that the main protagonists have to be boring so the audience can more easily self-insert into them, while peripheral characters are allowed to have quirks and problems and arcs. (the funny thing is that it never works, audiences usually identify more with a more defined character or just create their own self-inserts)

Hermione thinks slavery is horrendously inhumane. Ron doesn't give no fucks. Harry, your surrogate, has no real opinions on the matter except that Hermione is annoying. Centrism.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was watching the Crimes of Grindegoober for the first time last night. Early on there was a moment when it was "You're either with the Nazis or against the Nazis" and the main character was all "I don't pick sides." I could not help myself from saying "gently caress you JK Rowling." At least he realized the Nazis are kind of bad at the end.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Queerman? :nallears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Force™ handles it. Don’t stress it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What? Are you telling me JK Rowling wrote something without putting much research or thought into it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Werewolves are a metaphor for aids!

Here's a Werewolf that purposely infects people to get his rocks off.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Storyline wise, he needed to break it on Day 1 of the school year in September so that it would backfire on Lockhart on the last Day of the School Year in June. :downs:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

I hate how Rowling bent over backwards to explain how oh, Dumbledore was just testing Lockheart and planned to expose him as a fraud before the main plot started... instead of just saying that it was one of his rare lapses in judgment to humanize him a bit.

I thought the books made it quite clear that Lockheart got the job because he's literally the only person who wanted it that year.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Guy A. Person posted:

Hermione would totally get everything [in a divorce], she is way smarter than Ron and would defo trick him

loving yikes dude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Guy A. Person posted:

poo poo, sorry if I implied anything sexist or creepy here about women tricking men into taking their wealth, I was honestly just making a bad joke about Ron being dumb :whitewater:

Accidents happen. No worries.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

If you removed the blood purity stuff from the books and just left it at that, Slytherin would be fine

Yeah, if you remove a defining characteristic, thing no longer represents characteristic. Weird.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Regalingualius posted:

I kind of want the alternate history where Dumbledore is drunk off his rear end that night, hasn’t gotten any of the memos, or whatever else, and hires Tom on the spot.

Dumbledore defeats Voldemort by later hiring him as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and waiting out a year.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Who What Now posted:

Rowling is vehemently against race house mixing.

Aw who are we kidding, she's against both!

Harry Potter dates an indian girl in book 4. Dates an asian girl in book 5. Okay? You guys got your diversity? Settles down with a nice white girl. No, the other one. Rowling's self-insert was destined for her childhood friend insert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Who What Now posted:

Not caring about the lives of inferior races and classes is a very British elite thing to do.

Like categorizing various sapient species as being a being or a beast?