Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It just occurred to me, the "the entire world plays this one game" probably only seems improbable to Americans who are the only holdouts on this whole 'football' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

reignofevil posted:

rear end in a top hat wizards I'm guessing.

Its pretty clear that rear end in a top hat wizards were the norm for most of wizarding history.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

reignofevil posted:

Yes. Also I think Ron's brothers, Fred and George, also invented some spells in their time. So occasionally wizards do invent new spells they just are an incredibly self satisfied bunch and so for the most part they never try to push the limits of their already incredible magical repertoire.

Admit it, would you be so different?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I re-read the whole series a couple years ago when my roommate at the time had all the books lying around (he borrowed them as, despite being a big fan of the movies, he had never read the books). Its kind of shocking how little there is in the first book, you can tell Rowling was learning how to write as she was writing them. You can also tell she bit off way more than she could chew saying there would be 7 books from the start. After re-reading them though, my opinion on 6 and 7 changed from 'bad' to 'utterly forgettable'.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SolarFire2 posted:

So what's the difference between the Deathly Hallow invisiblity cloak and the more common off the shelf variety?

One's magic, the other is more magic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

josh04 posted:

House Protagonist, House Antagonist, House Not Appearing In This Story.

FTFY

JethroMcB posted:

pretty funny that Hufflepuff is canonically the unexceptional house of leftovers and people gleefully embrace that, "I'm SUCH a Hufflepuff, I define myself by having no true personality and only really existing to serve the Alphas in the story of my life!"

Yes, but you've met potterheads, can you really say they're wrong?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Man with Hat posted:

This is actually explicitly stated to not be possible. Food is one of the fundamental unmakeable things. I don't remember the exact wording but there's a law (like a law of physics not like a law of you shall not steal) that says you can't summon food out of nothing. The food at the feasts in Hogwarts is made by house elves in the basement right under the great hall and Dumbledore just teleports it.

You can however make goblets out of birds and mice out of cups and poo poo so you can make meat out of not meat and you can make other things out of nothing (I'm guessing otherwise food wouldn't be an exception) so I guess they could make cups out of nothing and then turn those cups into fantasy world poor person grub and solve hunger but wizards and witches are also said to be loving morons when it comes to logic and reasoning so kids will have to starve I guess.

Another question: How the gently caress does hogwarts make money? Dumbledore offers to pay his house elves, all hundreds of them, several gallons per week. They decline, which is good, because that would be like thousands of gallons per week and that can literally buy you the most expensive thing seen in the whole series several times over. I think it's also stated that wizards and witches are bad at numbers and math and economics so I guess this is just a prime example of that?

A massive endowment from all of the richest wizards in England.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Aglet56 posted:

There's definitely a horror movie scenario in the Dursleys' situation, though. They spend years abusing this kid due to hosed up family dynamics and then they find out he's capable of unknown but clearly lethal power; 9 months or so after they find this out, he comes back from his crazy magic school having learned god knows what and maybe he killed a teacher? and they gotta live with him and they know he's not happy with em

i mean it's basically the dynamics of akira

They spend years abusing him because they know he's a wizard, and they don't like wizards / want to beat the magic out of him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

It's a decent attempt at trying to reconcile how problematic Chosen One narratives are by making it so that there was nothing intrinsically special about Harry. Aside from his family's wealth and privelege of course, but even then Neville covercomes all that to basically be Harry's equal and carrying on his work at Hogwarts in the final book.

Did the books ever say where all the money came from? Were the Potters just rich as gently caress and Harry's the last of them? I don't remember them ever talking about James's family.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I demand more verisimilitude from my Children's / Young Adult books by a novice writer!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They vary in quality substantially from one to another.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dumbledore was a bit deluded, he even says 'its all my fault, I hosed up" (I think, that might have been a different book). One of his primary character traits is being an old and powerful wizard that hasn't completely lost touch with reality as opposed to, as far as it seems, all the other ones.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

galagazombie posted:

a turn based RPG on the GBC

Two apparently. I only played the first but it was solid enough for a licensed game, I hear the second is better.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

[Interior: The Great Hall]

The Great Hall is lavishly decorated with British and/or Magical Halloween decorations. The tables are piled high with British and/or Magical foods, and all the students are present, chattering unintelligibly

Ron: Where's Hermione?

Harry: Some crap I'm not transcribing for a very dumb joke

*Ron looks ashamed*

Professor Qrrbrbirlbel burst in, shouting wordlessly. Everyone stands up in alarm. He reaches the center of the room and stops.

Professor Qrrbrbirlbel: Zeeky Boogy Doog

A bomb explodes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Voldemort had a chip on his shoulder and the talent to do something about it (Rowling's Twitter nonwithstanding). Harry, it turns out, was only ever important because he had Voldemort's soul in him, and was otherwise an above average wizard who was good at flying.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

And another thing, just how many drat forms of travel do wizards NEED? It seems that once you learn how to apparate, why do you need anything else?

"Let's see, let's see...how to get to work today...travel in an instant with this wand I always have? Or also travel nearly instantly, but use some weird powder I have to pay money for, throw it into a fireplace, and travel through it, getting soot everywhere? Or, fly on a broom like I'm a literal witch in a loving fairy tale and take a hundred times as long? Or same thing, but with this muggle car I enchanted?"

Like...just loving teleport all God-drat day long.

"Uh, you dummies, you can't apparate into Hogwarts!" Hermoine says for the fiftieth time because all wizards but her are actually stupid when it comes to knowledge retention.

Ok, fine, apparate into that wizard village that's, like, right next door and walk half a mile.

Fake edit: Oh, also there's a "Knight Bus" in London that sometimes, somehow, picks up wizards that need it? But literally only that one time, never again.

Real edit: Oh, also portkeys, which are basically a more nuisance version of apparation? Like...it's an object that only apparates to one place, and it has to be registered with The Ministry of Magic, and lots of other rules.

Again...why not just loving teleport?

You get cut in half or enwalled if you gently caress up. Somehow this doesn't lead to long term damage, but must be unpleasant.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

They don’t even follow the same naming scheme? Jesus Christ upper class British stuff is the worst

I don't think anyone would disagree with this. In any context.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The thing about wizards is they all have robes and hats, ergo they all gently caress.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Atrocious Joe posted:

is the wizarding world just a cult.

the muggle world is maligned to discourage wizards from leaving. half the wizards are cops to prevent interactions with muggles.

everyone is under educated and taught no skills so they are unable to survive in the muggle world if they do decide to leave.

Yeah but the magic powers are real so, you win some, you lose some.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

"Dumbledore, these traps are so simple an 11 year old could get past them."

"Good point, add a troll, kids won't be able to do poo poo against a troll."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They're pretty clearly the work of a novice author, especially if you read them back to back. The early ones a very rough around the edges and the later could stand some substantial editing / trimming. Still, both for first books and pulling off a 7 book series with no experience I have to give her props, most people couldn't have pulled it off.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Dumbledore's plan

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Iirc he's much more helpful to those who are good at potions. Maybe not a good quality in a teacher, but he's not just keeping it all to himself.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That sounds way better

Until you realize most of those books consist of " "Aaaaaaaa(extend for 300 pages)aah!" said Harry, as he charged his aura."

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

E: wrongus threadus

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Proud wizard voice: I did that by hand I'll have you know, and on a phone at that. Just a little bit of magic for the copy and paste, but that don't really count does it gov'na?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And then the real one dies. Sad.

What the gently caress happens to Crouch Jr? I watched the fourth movie like three days ago and I don't remember.

He get his soul eaten before he can say anything that might be politically damaging.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Smoking wizard salvia cuz I pissed off house huff'n'puff.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Friend posted:

That doesn't change the fact that she shouldn't be able to work a human body as a puppet as a snake

A wizard did it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Rowling is going to reveal that wizards are all very stupid and racist and they all think asian people are snakes.

Edit: Parsletongue is just mandarin

I think that's just in the text (the stupid and racist part). They're noted to be stupid repeatedly, and their interactions with foreigners range from patronizing to hostile.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

No american would name their kid Newt. Brits though, Brits would.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

If Arthur ever left his job his replacement would be at his doorstep the next day. He needs to keep that job to keep himself safe.

And while Ron has to deal with crappy hand me downs and arthur is going to rely on his ministry pension, I don't think it's suggested they ever failed to have food on the table or the like.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

They're definitely not poor poor seeing as they own a big rear end house on a parcel of land.

The house is a magic togethered piece of patchwork, and I don't think wizards need to do anything for land thats not in a high-demand wizard area. Just throw some magic on a plot of dirt no other wizard is using so muggles can't see it and boom, free land.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's foreign microbes in your blood that make you a wizard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Good/talented wizard. Terrible student.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

That takes time, I need gravy now! :btroll:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Given the choice between technology and not having to get up to get things I'd choose the later, though it would markedly cut down on the things what I'd have been getting up to get.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Auror is not really a one-to-one with real world cops tbf, in the world of the books there are actually evil wizards who can do gnarly stuff with their power like control minds. In the real world the cops work for and are the people who use their power to hurt powerless people.

Not that there aren’t parallels and the aurors still gently caress up and are prone to corruption but the magic world at least everyone is roughly on equal footing and the ministry of magic doesn’t hold the vast majority of the power the way the state and corporations do in our hell world

If you think about it, all wizards are constantly armed...

(This isnt where I intended to go with this reply, but it's the logical end to all individual wizards being roughly equally potent / dangerous, barring exceptions like dumbledore. Wizard fights, and by extension the ministry's power are just a numbers game.)

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The initial characterization wasn't that all slytherins were evil, but that all evil people were slytherin, but this got lost over the course of the septilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though it's made into a complete joke given a pretty simple spell renders a wizard immune to fire.

Not being good at killing you doesn't mean they aren't trying to kill you.