Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Build those incredibly complex cells tailored to specific individual's skillsets from the one season of Korra

e: this would also provide of new cop jobs as the defeat of the muggle-born stigma leads to a boom in the wizarding population

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zore posted:

The Death Penalty seems to be getting sentenced to be Kissed by the Dementors which sucks your soul out and leaves your body a husk. Sirius was sentenced to this post escape and presumably other criminals have been as well.

Weirdly there is a death penalty for animals that involves a dude with a large axe and a very technical appeals process.

And canonically souls exist and the afterlife rules so this is actually way worse than death.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah they're already filming 3. Rumor is 4 and 5 are cancelled so we may get Jude Law vs Mads Mikkelsen doing a wizard duel in WW2. Good or bad, it's gonna be great.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
No it's definitely filming tho??? https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england...0Hertfordshire.

goin great

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think the official lore is Dudley turns decent.

I like to think he gets buff like the kid from Holes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

He fails when he gets to Canada.

Fun fact to demonstrate how big a get Harry Potter World was for Universal Studios: the Universal Studios copy of Disney's Splash Mountain is a fuckin Dudley Doright-themed log flume. Do kids in 2021 even know who the gently caress he is?

They've got Potter, Marvel, Jurassic Park, and then a very sad county fair.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He looks like a Dragon Age Origins NPC

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cranappleberry posted:

I am real posting about Harry Potter.

Me too pal, me too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who would be a better ùod, Snape or James?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Voldemort needed Harry's blood to make himself immune to Lily's mom magic. He didn't want to disintegrate like Quirrel.

But consider this: what if Crouch Jr or Lucius or fuckin Draco or anyone just shot Harry dead? Dead Harry can't disintegrate anyone and "blood of the enemy" can be from Flitwick or whoever

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of Voldemort, the movie version is not at all how I pictured him, but holy poo poo he rules in his own way. Naked cackling blue guy. Loves killing kids and being evil. He's amazing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rAzjEDIyEI

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish there was more about alchemy. That's a fun kind of magic.

e: HP but it's also FMA and Ron is stuck in a robot body

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Just realized this thread turned 1 year old last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy-4ykwGFDk

The whole point of slurpin' that blood was so that it would help Voldemort, so I don't see why the curse wouldn't affect Voldemort just like the magic nutrients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09rvN3s9Kg it's been four years since this one became ten

reignofevil posted:

"Voldemort having unfettered access to Unicron is a threat to us all" Harry looked toward Optimus with determination in his eyes.

you can't try to win the contest if you're already a mod. mods????

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 10, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why is it evil to speak snake language in your common room? What did snakes ever do to deserve this?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HIJK posted:

What do the books mean when they say "robes"? I always end up imagining wizards walking around in bath robes with their tshirts sticking out and sometimes the bathrobes have stars on them.

it's hoodies

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

I think they realized that having everyone dress in house robes all the time is visually boring and also just impractical for filming.

Do they ever even do the classic house robes like from the video games, where they have the red/green/blue/yellow on the underside of their school cloak?

Zore posted:

Kind of, but they treated the robe like a coat and had Harry and Ron take them off after one scene so they were just hanging out in normalish fancywear.

Which was a good choice because the design they went with was '5 year old finds dad's coat and wears it'

I love the Durmstrang streltsy robes being modeled by that dude on the left

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 11, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

Look up what students at Oxford and Cambridge have to wear for formal occasions (eg exams) in your actual real life 2021. Its that.

wtf why is Britain

like if you told me this was a Harry Potter screengrab I'd believe you

that's literally Slughorn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

galagazombie posted:

Am I the only person ITT who graduated from college? This is basic rear end stuff you'd see at any university in America.
The only difference is that the Professors only wear it at stuff like the graduation ceremony and don't wear it at like tests and stuff. Hell in America it's probably even more garish because instead of all wearing the same outfit every professor shows up in the robe of wherever they got their Doctorate, So they look like a rainbow of differently colored robes and non-matching frill styles up there on stage.

behold the uni uniform of my people (yes everyone who wears it is as awful as you imagine)

You get on the bus with a gang of fuckers in these, you know you'll have a bad time

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 12, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Ottawa Parliament Hill shooting in 2014 was ended by the official bouncer whacking the shooter on the head with his ceremonial mace.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The richest house team gets a full set of Nimbus 2001s, not nearly as good as Harry's badass broom (also his former broom was purchased by his professor/coach so who is the real pay-to-win team)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lol that Percy was the one Weasley to not play. Bill and Charlie were both quidditch captains in their time, and I think the chronology works out that in Fred and George's first year the gryffindor team was 4/7 Weasleys. And they call the slytherins nepotists!

Also isn't it a plot point in 3 that Harry needs to catch the snitch only after a certain amount of points have been scored by the chasers? That implies there's some sort of logic to the Hogwarts league beyond just "catch snitch 3 times, win"

PS: I'm real fuckin sad that we never got to see Alan Rickman mount a broom.

galagazombie posted:

If nothing else, Quidditch at least gave us the sight of grown men and women waddling around university green spaces squeezing broom handles between their thighs like massive strap-ons while another person ran around with SNITCH written on a piece of paper scotch-taped to their back.

I got to stumble upon the Queens University quidditch team playing a scrimmage on like my third day in the nation of Canada. It was truly a warm welcome. Wtf is hockey?

Is there any JK lore about wizarding Canada? Do they go to Ilvermorney? Do québécois wizards insist on going to Beauxbatons because they are special snowflakes? Did Fleur spend her free time bullying little canadian kids because of their silly accents?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 15, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Viktor Krum, the only honourable and self-made quidditch player.

Remember in four when Seamus Finnegan's family is like "you are supporting Ireland right?" and Ron is like "yeah sure" while owning a Viktor action figure

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the person I'm currently dating may or may not have a cute gryffindor hoodie that matches a dumbass slytherin hoodie I own and we may or may not be wearing them in public atm

i feel bad for doing marketing JK Rowling but I will never not love all my hot nazi slytherin friends. severus more like sexerus.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 15, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't the broom Harry got in PoA a professional-level broom or something? That makes Malfoy's dad buying the Slytherin team new brooms pale in comparison. Also :lol: at Harry being a dick and ignoring Hermione for months because she was worried about his safety and wanted the teachers to check his broom for curses. It's not like that was a year where they knew a rogue wizard was after Harry or anything, or that Sirius had already broken into the Gryffindor common room beforehand.

Krum's pretty great, but then Rowling had to add that tidbit in HBP about how 17 is the age of majority for wizards so she retroactively made Krum into a creep for wanting to date Hermione back in GoF.

It's funny when the grown rear end dude is dancing around with all the teen actors in the movie.

double nine posted:

Slitherin gets Jason 'handsome devil' Isaacs. Case closed they win.

He was an inspired casting choice in being so opposite of his usual archetype. Although really all the casting in the movies was good. It's also impressive that they kept the entire (white) child cast the whole time without, afaik, any horrible abuse or broken brains. RIP Lavender Brown and that greek muse kid in Prisoner of Azkaban who temporarily replaces Dean Thomas I think. I don't think I've mentioned before but I actually met Eveanna Lynch (or any extremely convincing fake) at a bar once. She is basically Luna irl. Closest thing I've ever gotten to meeting a celebrity I think.

e: come to think of it doesn't Percy Weasley fall off the map at some point? I remember him being around quite a bit in the first few, then by five he has a nonspeaking role prancing around behind the minister, then he never gets his big redemption moment in the battle and disappears.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 16, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I am admittedly not british but I always figured that while quidditch culture was based on football, arcane quidditch rules were based on cricket.

Also admittedly the only thing I know about cricket is that it's big in India and Shaun of the Dead kills some fuckers with one of the wacky bats.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Cursed Child 2: Evil alt-universe Cedric is back and he's making wizarding teslas. Can Minister For Magic Granger and MACUSA speaker Jacob Goldstein IV regulate his dastardly plans before he buys nazis into power? (no)

Side plot: How does First Minister of Scotland (for magic) Cho Chang navigate Scotland's return to the EU and the status of UK students in newly independent Wizarding Scotland?

Third plot: An elderly Rabastan Lestrange, who is somehow still at large just like half of his inbred clan, investigates why Voldemort taught his bff Snape to fly instead of his side piece and true love Bellatrix. There is a tie-in plot for the secret Lestrange baby from Fantastic Beasts.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Lmfao I'm almost at the end of the podcast and they literally described Snape doing a "Looney Tunes dive" through the window in his fake duel with McGonagall right before the battle. I swear to god I have posted the same thing. Am I brain poisoned by podcast strangers or are we all poisoned by Online?

I enjoy the image of him using his Snape Cape to flap frantically away like a real bat instead of diving gracefully like Batman.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Which characters were for Corbin?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There is no wizard president. Wizard USA is run by the speaker of Wizard Congress*, because JK Rowling is so uncreative that she can't even imagine a wizarding US, let alone an even more foreign country.

*MACUSA, pronounced "makooza" just like how all americans pronounce the weird and obscure acronym "USA"

e: also the sole american/canadian wizard school is a castle with four houses.

gently caress that, give me the elite prestige NYC school along british lines, but also a hoodoo school in New Orleans and a magical creatures-focused school somewhere in the PNW, let the inuit have their own magic, and so on

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 28, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

same

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ccs posted:

So I have a question: Did anyone in this thread read the books after they were all released? Or start reading them as they were released when you were a teenager? I have a theory that the only people that Harry Potter really resonates with are people who grew up with the books, meaning you were probably between the ages of 7 and 12 when the first book was released. If a 10 year old tries to read the books now they’ll probably enjoy the first few and start getting freaked out by the later ones. Similarly, most teenagers wouldn’t have started reading a children’s book series because they’re not the target demographic.

My partner works with kids aged like 8-12 and a bunch of current ones are still Potter nerds. Although I agree with you the first three in particular are fairly timeless and great kids books. The back half gets increasingly zeitgeisty for the early 2000s. Also for reference we're both 27, so it's entirely possible some of these kids have parents our age and are reading because their dweeb parents are indoctrinating them like my dad indoctrinated me into the Star Wars.

Semi-relatedly, my cousin mailed me my ye olde original Potter copies and it made me curious what the original british versions looked like. The US ones genuinely ruled. The art is amazing and the book itself behind the dust jacket looks like a cool tome. The done thing circa 2001 was to take off the dust jacket and pretend it was your potions textbook or something. Clearly I'm nostalgia-biased for my own childhood wizard books but I think the US version art is genuinely definitive. For all I know it's the same art the british version had but Britain inevitably disappoints and the US art was perfect. Like here's a comparison shot to french versions:

Say what you will about Potter and Rowling but the US version blows it out of the water as a wizard book for children.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jazerus posted:

the chamber of secrets contains the deepest mystery in the entire series

who the gently caress is the Plumber of Slytherin? the guy that converted the hidden entrance of the chamber into a bathroom, and connected enough pipes to the chamber itself to allow the basilisk to move around. who made the pipes big enough for the basilisk in the first place. what is the story of this person???

Speaking of the cackling cartoon wizard nazis, I'm almost off to another godawful community theatre production of the potter parody musical as Draco, and I've been allowed to do my own costumes now as long as the terrible blonde wig and terribly sized blazer/robe thing remain. I'm not brave enough to do an SA face pic for the wig but I am very proud of this awful sweater I found. It suits the character. Plz ignore our gross bathroom mirror.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if JK walked and the movie turns out great

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SolarFire2 posted:

It was easier to recast Jacob rather than write an in movie explanation for Dan Fogler losing all that weight.

His best pal Newt knows the exact charm to make him svelte, but if Newt used it to help a muggle his cop girlfriend would have no choice but to try and throw him into the death chamber again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The epilogue and cursed child are dumb for a lot of reasons but Harry just being utterly chill with slytherin is the main one. Harry, my dude, remember when you had to swordfight a nazi snake while Hitler was possessing your wife? Hermione is literally minister of magic. She was a victim of the racially motivated school shooter snake. What the gently caress Hermione?

"Snape would have been less of an rear end in a top hat if he wasn't sorted into slytherin" is a played out observation but like... correct. You took the dude from a poor and abusive household, who even the good guys acknowledge as "half blood." And put him in the nazi club where all the kids care about racial purity and money. Maybe slytherin is just bad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's pretty hilarious that Lucius' immediate reaction is to use the evil snake diary to own his work rival's child daughter though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
While he's not wrong that he absolutely should not have trusted them with his soul fragments, I honestly can't fault him considering that Dumbledore's squad is an absolute clown show.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Arthur kinda rules. Like it's hilarious in book seven when they do the Voldemort flying chase escape and Hagrid goes "don't worry, me and Arthur Weasley did some mods to this bike." Yeah, Hagrid and Arthur Weasley, the man who can't do his one job of understanding what the gently caress a screwdriver is for. What a badass duo. Except then you remember he did blunder his way into the flying sentient car.

Also the bike is Sirius' originally so the implication of it is enormous Hagrid on a normal-size bike. Sadly the movies let us down and gave him a Hagrid-sized bike.

Hagrid being the bike guy is interesting. We get a bunch of lore about him loving animals, does he also hang out with Arthur and Sirius and rave about Harleys in their down time? I sure hope so.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NikkolasKing posted:

Hagrid does love all animals. His actual pet, Fang, is just a big silly, cowardly dog.. Buckbeak and other Hippogriffs aren't really dangerous either unless you provoke them. Etc..

Hagrid is absolutely the single most likable character in HP. He's like Harry's big little brother.

Kinda drives home the absurd farce that is the wizarding world. The nicest wizard of all gets dragged off the torture prison on racist framed charges, directly by the prime minister, multiple times. This is a government that has a specific dude to ritually execute Hagrid's horse friend. Also the dude is openly part of the nazi party. All of this is because the son of the prime minister's best friend is the father of the dumbass baby nazi that deliberately ignored Hagrid's instructions and shittalked the horse.