Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

And the worst part is that Dumbledore decided that the best way to protect her once he realized that she was in grave danger if anyone else ever found out that she was the one who made the prophecy was to put her in a pretty public posting in the school, teaching a course that she was otherwise grossly unqualified for. Especially since, as we saw in OotP, that plan was contingent on him being around to keep her safe.

To be totally fair to Dumbledore (although I mean, why would you?) a lot of what goes on at Hogwarts seems contingent upon the whims of a bunch of dumbass parents, tradition, and the government (sort of like real schools). So it's probably one of those things where Dumbledore knows divination is the stupidest class but it's a state requirement for wizard school certification and a bunch of townie parents who are like Lavender and Parvati and buy into this poo poo/have fond memories of their own divination class angrily shout down any legislation to remove it.

Also while Dumbles is super well respected it's repeatedly shown how while there are few die hard people -- specifically the OotP -- who will go to bat for him hard, as soon as he does poo poo that makes the average wizard even slightly uncomfortable they all start tripping over their dicks wands to undermine him. So prob not the best idea for him to go to the super corrupt wiz government and say "hey, put this person in wizard witness protection and make sure not to tell any of the death eaters you repeatedly keep pardoning and becoming best friends with about her" because the outcasts and stay-at-home moms who comprise the Order aren't a great alternative either

(incidentally it worked, basically only Harry, Snape and Dumbledore ever even knew she was important at all, and they even get a second bonus prediction out of her in Harry's third year)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

chaleski posted:

On that note, I haven't read the series in forever so I might be misremembering things a bit but does Moody do anything worthwhile in the modern setting in the books? He's described as this badass wizard Jack Bauer who caught or killed like half the Death Eaters in the first war but all we see him do is get his rear end kicked repeatedly and die.

I just finished OotP on a reread I'm doing and in that one the only thing he does is get dropped by I think Bellatrix* in the fight at the Dept of Mysteries. I will report back if he does anything in HBP but I'm pretty sure he, like everyone, just does some fights off-screen during the raid on Hogwarts

*maybe not tho because straight up everyone else does: Tonks, Sirius and Kingsley all get taken down by her in the same scene

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The defense against the dark arts situation is a tricky thing where Dumbledore maybe knows that anyone he appoints will be there for exactly one year due to the curse, and if his focus is trying to give the best set of teachers for Harry as the chosen one then he wants to blow through his lovely options early and save better guys like Lupin and Moody for a little later, then Snape is his ace in the hole who he only appoints when he has exactly one year to live.

But yea obviously in reality it’s just a gag JK came up with and scrutinizing it too much reveals the cracks in her plotting (of I which there are many).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

amigolupus posted:

I'm still annoyed at Dumbledore in HBP for telling Harry that they'd have special lessons, and then proceeding to teach him jackshit about anything practical like defensive spells or how to fight like him.

He was busy teaching him exposition class lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well so it was cursed since back when Voldemort applied for the job which was well before Harry was even born so had to be the 70s or earlier, so presumably it took them several years to even make the connection. Also from the sample size we've seen only 1 of 7 died in the role, and that was forced suicide by Voldemort, so it could very well be that the actual deaths were pretty rare

(also like I mentioned earlier I gotta imagine Dumbledore started stepping it up a bit when Harry was getting to a more formidable age and Lupin and Mad Eye probably took the job understanding that it was dangerous but as OotP that they would want Harry and his peers to be well taught)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

I looked up if Rowling ever said what happened to Umbridge and apparently she got sent to Azkaban, lol. I keep having to remind myself that nothing about the status quo changes after the books wrap up, and Harry goes on to be cop who throws people into a remote island jail guarded by soul sucking creatures of dark magic.

Assuming The Cursed Child is canon Lucius Malfoy gets pardoned a third (?) time and uses his vast wealth to create a device that nearly revives Voldemort again, it's absolutely mind boggling.

Asterite34 posted:

Wasn't Quirrell a DADA teacher before book 1 returning for Harry's first year? Or was it, like, non-consecutive terms like the Grover Cleveland of curses?

No Quirrell for sure is new and it's kind of a missed opportunity that we don't hear about the previous teachers, not even from like Fred and George

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

One of the cleverest things she did was to resist the urge for the hero and lead girl to fall in love, so of course she has repeatedly said she hosed up and should have just had Harry and Hermione end up together

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah the Carrows siblings ((although I didn't remember if they were twins)

One teaches Dark Arts, the other teaches a twisted form of Muggle Studies where they learn that muggles are filthy animals etc. Presumably neither lasts to the next year, although I don't think either of them are mentioned to be killed

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

now I want to see a cgi divorce spell. all their quidditch World Cup commemorative plates flying into two separate piles while the house splits in half

Hermione would totally get everything, she is way smarter than Ron and would defo trick him into an iron-clad prenup probably with Timer Turner magic (don't @ me with this crap about time turners being gone, they will just bring them back whenever)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Time turners are already back, they're a critical plot point in the sequel play where we explore the adventures of Voldemort's lovechild and Albus Severus James Luna Bellatrix Arthur Kingsley Tonks Draco Dudley Dobby Potter

Also his best friend and only good Harry Potter character, Scorpius Malfoy

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

To Harry’s credit he spends most of book 5 repeatedly saying “actually everything cool I did was through luck or with other people helping” but everyone was so desperate for non-Umbridge lessons that they basically begged him

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Auror is not really a one-to-one with real world cops tbf, in the world of the books there are actually evil wizards who can do gnarly stuff with their power like control minds. In the real world the cops work for and are the people who use their power to hurt powerless people.

Not that there aren’t parallels and the aurors still gently caress up and are prone to corruption but the magic world at least everyone is roughly on equal footing and the ministry of magic doesn’t hold the vast majority of the power the way the state and corporations do in our hell world

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also the International Statute of Secrecy is a large part of the reason his childhood was so miserable and probably a big part of the reason Voldemort was able to rise to power twice because the Ministry of Magic seems to spend more time in the books covering up the terrorist attacks than actually trying to combat them.

Harry and Hermione are def shitlibs who want to work within the system to reform it but can't imagine actual radical change. Although given what I said above I wonder if Harry's time with the Dursley's just cemented that muggle life sucked beans and cool wizard life should definitely be kept separate but equal.

Zesty posted:

loving yikes dude.

poo poo, sorry if I implied anything sexist or creepy here about women tricking men into taking their wealth, I was honestly just making a bad joke about Ron being dumb

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 17, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

Love how Rowling realized she'd hosed up by making Slytherin just straight up Hitler Youth and created an entire character to be a "good" Slytherin who more embodies the ambition aspects of the house instead of the race purity ones. Except even he's kind of a piece of poo poo and ducks out of the final battle until the last possible minute when he's mostly assured of what side will win.

Well and the problem is the “we sort too soon” line is in that same book so it undermines the entire idea that Slytherins can be just as brave and good because your wise wizard granddad is saying to the most heroic one “you should have actually been a Gryffindor”

Really she should have just established at some point that even tho all the antagonist teens are Slytherins there are a few who are not totally poo poo by having a few of them occasionally act happy when Harry saves the school and their friends lives, or not have them all clear out before the battle of Hogwarts (oh but don’t worry some of the 17 year olds totes snuck back in its canon).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

And again there’s so many opportunities to show that someone who is ambitious, resourceful and cunning might befriend/ally with/suck up to someone like Dumbledore (the headmaster and one of the most beloved wizards in the world), Harry (the most famous person in the wizard world who keeps having cool poo poo happen to him) or even Hermione (the smartest kid in the school who ends up being Minister of Magic).

I get having the Slytherins hate Harry in general and especially his own grade being dominated by Draco’s influence, but between the Tri-Wizard tournament in book 4, Harry being the only one teaching good DAtDA in book 5, Harry becoming super famous/girls crushing on him as the “Chosen One” in book 6 and then a war against a fascist dictator in book 7; well a few paragraphs with the occasional Slytherin wishing him luck or sucking up or hitting on him would go a long way. Like even in a group of people looking out for themselves, you’d think a handful would be like “living under a fascist dictatorship is not what I want for my own ambitions”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

The Slytherins do seem en-masse devoted to this one particular dude getting to be wizard Hitler. Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.

Seriously, literally all of them deciding their best bet for survival is to back the creepy snake perv who randomly murders his underlings for petty reasons, what a proud and insightful group

W.T. Fits posted:

The closest thing to this I can ever recall happening was I think one of the girls who invited Harry to the Yule Ball in book 4 was mentioned to be like a 5th or 6th year Slytherin, and that he was afraid she was going to beat him up when he turned her down.

lol oh yeah I forgot about this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

A lot of stories that follow children characters as they grow up and mature have a sort of turnaround where kids learn that their old biases and feuds are mostly irrelevant as they learn that the world is a bigger place.

Harry Potter doesn't really have that, instead all of his childhood feuds turn out to be 204% correct, Slytherin goes from "rival house with some jerks" to "nazis trying to support wizard hitler", Snape goes from that one teacher that didn't like Harry (but ultimately was looking out for him) to being the archenemy of his father and assassin, and Harry takes a year off school and goes backpacking around the wizarding world only to find that actually Hogwarts is the center of the world and there isn't much beyond it. Teachers don't have much of a life out of school. The only thing that Harry matures past is caring about the Durselys.

It's kinda weird.

Yeah and it seems to be steadily building toward this in the early to middle books, with the sorting hat almost putting Harry in Slytherin and then it and Dumbledore constantly talking about the need for unity between houses and that being the way to defeat Voldemort. But then it turns out that Harry was only ever a potential Slytherin because his scar gave him Voldemort powers and everything remained pretty black and white. It felt like Rowling realized it was just way easier to keep things simplistic instead of adding in more nuance.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Draco’s characterization in the last book where he is seeing the brutality up close and is sickened and terrified is great but then Rowling decides there has to be one last Potter/Malfoy showdown so he is back to being “I’ll show you mudbloods and blood traitors what for and the dark lord will like me!” in the last few chapters which is frustrating

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The part where Crabbe or Goyle (or both?) is like “you’re not in charge anymore Draco” is great there too I just wish it was more obvious Draco only tried to stop Harry in the room of requirement because he was coerced or desperate, instead of reverting so readily to his previous sneering characterization

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

IIRC the other elves were just annoyed and insulted once they figured it out so Donny started doing it to catch glimpses of Harry

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

And again there’s so many opportunities to show that someone who is ambitious, resourceful and cunning might befriend/ally with/suck up to someone like Dumbledore (the headmaster and one of the most beloved wizards in the world), Harry (the most famous person in the wizard world who keeps having cool poo poo happen to him) or even Hermione (the smartest kid in the school who ends up being Minister of Magic).

I get having the Slytherins hate Harry in general and especially his own grade being dominated by Draco’s influence, but between the Tri-Wizard tournament in book 4, Harry being the only one teaching good DAtDA in book 5, Harry becoming super famous/girls crushing on him as the “Chosen One” in book 6 and then a war against a fascist dictator in book 7; well a few paragraphs with the occasional Slytherin wishing him luck or sucking up or hitting on him would go a long way. Like even in a group of people looking out for themselves, you’d think a handful would be like “living under a fascist dictatorship is not what I want for my own ambitions”

I want to expand on this because I am almost finished re-reading book 7 and holy smokes there are even more blatant instances of "and literally every Slytherin continued to never not be a Hitler follower" repeated throughout this last book. When they walk into the room of requirement and it's now a DA clubhouse, Slytherin is the only set of banners missing; when McGonagall evacuates the school literally every Slytherin leaves and none of them cheer when she announces Snape left; when Lucius Malfoy is talking to Voldermort, it's mentioned that the other Slytherin's* after evacuating actually joined Voldy, and maybe Draco didn't because he defected. At any point there could have been a throw away line about how even some of the Slytherin's had balked at the idea of torturing and chaining up their fellow classmates and even if they didn't join the resistance maybe actually acted hesistant or disturbed about this, and instead every opportunity is used to say "no Slytherin ever did anything but the evil option, every time".

* and I'm guessing Voldemort didn't do a head count to make sure every Slytherin who left the school joined him, but even the idea that a large amount of children immediately went to join the Nazis is a weird thing to throw in while never allowing the possibility for some of them to not be evil

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea it's just super weird because in the case of the adults it's like she's going out of her way to play up the existing "good" Slytherin: Slughorn helps Charlie Weasely recruit Hogsmeade residents to come fight then is one of the three dueling Voldemort at the end, Phineas Nigellus is all "don't forget Slytherin's contribution!", Kreacher describes Regulus as "defender of house elves" as he's stabbing death eaters in the legs, and of course Snape gets a whole redemption chapter and the entire Epilogue is basically about how Harry made peace with Snape and named his son after him.

It would have been so easy to include a one off sentence saying how some of the Slytherin students weren't totally cool with the open torture of other Hogwarts students, it's just conspicuously absent.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Harry gets a huge complex about doing poo poo alone after about book 4 but Ron and Hermione are basically grandfathered in since they did all the poo poo with him in his first three years and were getting KOed by giant stone chess pieces and paralyzed by Basilisks basically their entire childhood right alongside him. Even then he tries to go on his Horcrux quest alone until Hermione gives the whole speech about mind-blasting her parents and sending them to Australia, at which point he's like "ohhh uhhh yeah I guess that's fine".

But yeah Harry just sucks at being a normal kid, his relationship with Cho is pretty awkward and embarrassing and his friendships are mostly built around who will do detective work with him. I don't think it's that he doesn't consider Luna and Neville friends, his mind-set is basically focused on 1. solving that year's mystery 2. winning at Quidditch 3. being pissed off at Snape and Malfoy, and as of books 5 and 6 remembering he is teenage boy with hormones and thinking about girls (even then, he has girls throwing themselves at him in books 4 and 6 and is basically just agitated by them instead of doing any dating)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Taotipper posted:

It only looks like he's doing nothing because you're unfamiliar with standard English courtship rituals, which involve a lot of cowardice and whimpering

lmao, thank you for this

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

Harry is hormonal in a weird, written by an older white woman way where he is extremely horny but only for one specific girl, and later for one other specific girl. He never really remarks much on any girls outside of Cho or Ginny. IIRC he's not even all that flustered by the Veela, compared to Ron who couldn't so much as think about Fleur without losing his composure.

Yeah this is a perfect way to describe it. He has a "butterflies-in-tummy" crush on Cho up until they actually date and it goes awkward then he stops thinking about girls entirely (despite being a 16 year old boy) until he gets a similar crush on Ginny

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Harry doesn't have to be leaving crusty socks around Gryffindor tower for Dobby to find, but when every girl in school is flirting with him in book 6 he's like "uggghhh gently caress OFF so I can stalk Malfoy, I wonder when my next meeting with Dumbledore is"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mistaken Identity posted:

I would actually like the story, if it was a clear case of an impossibly unreliable narrator that was given the opportunity to basically retcon his whole life through a biographer and going for it instead of Kvothe being the Mary Sue of all Mary Sues

I unironically really like the way magic works in NotW though. I always found the concept of true names give power really interesting.

I only read the first book in the series, but it has the exact problem I have with most fantasy that is intended to be a long series (maybe even more-so) where there isn’t any kind of attempt at a resolved arc since they are already planning ahead several books and don’t gaf.

This may sound like an inherently silly complaint but by contrast in Harry Potter the first book has a climactic battle with the big bad of the entire series and a workable explanation of why Harry survived, so even if it sold poorly and no further books were released (or if someone decided one book was enough for them) “Voldemort tried to return to power again but was defeated by our plucky hero, maybe he will return again but we’ll be ready!” would be a fine enough ending that wraps things up in a single book after giving you a full story. Or in A Game of Thrones there is a full arc in “Ned’s fun journey to King’s Landing” which is fully resolved and obviously promised more to come but is at least a resolution to that arc and the obvious themes of the first book

In NotW the premise starts off strong where he is going to tell a story of how he was a world class badass but then talks for 600 pages about being a snot nosed kid and the big climax is some convoluted fight/trapping of some land dragon or whatever? Then he gets into grad school. There isn’t even a resolution for his rivalry with that other student (unless the assassination attempt was it and the main character never confronts the guy), there isn’t a second encounter with the Chandrian except in a round about way, and the story he’s telling just kind of ends abruptly because customers come in and then he gets attacked. As the only book in the series I’m likely to ever read it doesn’t really give me a sense of resolution for anything. But again maybe this is an inherent thing with the fantasy genre I just need to accept.

Or as I told my friend who recommended it “more like The Name of the Long Winded!”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mistaken Identity posted:

I'd strongly refute this being an inherent fantasy trope. The Earthsea books, that Tulip mentioned, for example are an excellent counterpoint (and excellent series in general). I feel like it is more of an unfortunate recent habit of modern fantasy authors.

I meant to reply to this the other day but thanks for the info, I am just glad my post-waking-up rant made some sort of sense. It's also good to know because one of the things that has often put me off of fantasy more than other genres is the feeling that I would always be starting a series, and I tend to like to bounce around a lot between fiction, non-fiction, poetry, etc. I'll check out the first Earthsea at some point

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Baudolino posted:

I dont really blame Rowling for not bothering with coming up with too many spells for Harry to use. No one wants read about how he casts shadowfire on this deatheater, stuns vokdemort with balls of ligthning and Hermoine casting Gryffindors incantation on Ron to keep him safe as he tanks another avadra kadabra. Going deeply technical with the magic would be fun in a game but not for normal book readers.

Yea but then she blew it at the buzzer by doing a whole "and now if you will consult the flow-chart of wand ownership you will clearly see under step 3-b that I am the rightful owner of the Elder Wand" thing

Honestly the alternative she seemed to be setting up where Voldermort couldn't actually curse anyone because Harry died for their sins to protect them would have been significantly cooler and had way more build-up throughout the entire series. There's even lines to that effect throughout the fight, all it needed was for Voldermort to start trying to murder the people around them and it not to work and then look he could look down at his wand impotently before some Aurors shuffled him off to prison.

She either panicked at the last second or realized she needed the Hallows to be way more important so that became the focus of the ending, to its detriment

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Most of the stuff Luna says and that’s in the Quibbler is actually pretty out there and wrong, like Cornelius Fudge having an army of fire giants or Sirius Black actually being Stubby Bodeman or whoever.

Hermione is still a dick for constantly assuming the entirety of universal knowledge is contained in her school books tho, so it’s cool she gets dunked on for this for a lot of the last two books.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

It always felt kinda bullshit that Hermione went through her entirely mundane muggle childhood, until presumably only slightly earlier than Harry at most, before finding out that all the magical wizards and monsters in fairy tales are all 100% real exactly as presented, and then after like five years of Wizard Middle School is drawing arbitrary lines that, no, THESE things are totally fake. You already had one huge revelation that completely overturned your established worldview, why are you sure that it can't happen again?

Also even like how she kept getting thoroughly embarrassed by the Half-Blood Prince all throughout book 6. She sees evidence that most of the wizards around her are lazy and basic as hell, and then Harry find some marginalia that improves upon literally everything in the standard potions book. You would think this would at least lead her to the revelation "the books can only take me so far and I need to do my own experimentation" but instead she just doubles down on "must. follow. book. exactly"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's most likely a bit of a retcon but I don't think they're mutually contradictory ideas. Fudge comes off as a classic liberal for most of the books. For example he's not necessarily anti-werewolf but you can't blame him for not wanting them teaching our children can you?

I'm sure the muggle related jobs within the Ministry are the same way. Fudge would probably say "why, some of my best friends are muggles!" since he has his annual chat with the muggle Prime Minister but that doesn't mean he is going to pay well for muggle related jobs or give them much authority. Arthur probably did genuinely want to work with muggle artifacts as a career choice, its just that Fudge probably isn't paying well for those services or giving a lot of weight to Arthur's ideas/expertise when it comes relations because he sees it as a bit of a joke.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

lmao right right I forgot that it's a big deal that one of the hard and fast rules of magic is that you cannot create food, but apparently you can dupe it which makes that rule entirely pointless!

Yeah and it's both introduced and made redundant in the same sentence, and it's basically just a really pedantic excuse to make Ron grumpy while camping. Even then it makes Hermione look kind of dumb because she could have just taken some drat canned goods from her parent's house when she mind wiped them and sent them to Australia. 5-10 cans could make all the variety you'd ever need but oh no need to fit in 3 extra books into her magically large bag instead.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

KDdidit posted:

Is there something in the GoF book that implies Dumbledore knows something about Barty Jr being a deatheater? When Karkaroff starts the "There’s a guy that tortured Longbottom" reveal in the pensieve they show DD looking like he knows what's coming. Could just be a look of annoyance that he keeps trying with names, but it certainly looks like he knows something to me.

Unless I’m not looking in the right place I think that part was an invention of the movies. In the book Karkaroff starts giving out names and they all are already known except one, then when they try to take him away he accuses Snape in a panic. It’s also a series of memories instead of one; the next one is Ludo Bagman then the group with Crouch Jr

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's also something Dumbledore points out about one of the wand things in 7 that kind of hammers home that the special magic Harry keeps getting only applies specifically to Voldemort who keeps accidentally handing Harry weapons through his hubris. If Harry had been AK'ed by any other wizard it would just be dead, but Tommy kept adding extra layers of esoteric magic onto their bond because of his obsession.

So it probably doesn't come up a ton of time that some wizard specifically wants to kill a baby, someone sacrifices themselves for that baby and then the wizard is like "ah yes I will still personally murder this baby (instead of leaving it alone to starve)". Maybe in the heat of war someone dives in front of their child then the same person gets their spell rebounded, but it's just as likely that someone else who wasn't the original curse caster kills the original target (or you know, children aren't usually high priority targets in war).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dumbledore should have armed all his guys with Fawkes tail feather wands

Yeah this is one of the small things that bothered me on my latest reread. Certainly even the super eccentric Olivander wasn't constantly getting like, only a single tail hair from every unicorn. He even makes a point to say "that particular phoenix only gave two feathers" as if he would normally try to get more. Like why wouldn't you try and buy in bulk. There's no way the twin core thing was all that rare, hell you'd figure as he was making wands and selling them each school year that you'd have a few matches in each grade who could never duel each other since their wands would go apeshit.

Aardvark! posted:

the one weasley who marries fleur and tames dragons or whatever too

Weirdly the hip one who dates super models and wears dragonskin boots works for the bank. The other one who is barely ever on screen is the dragon tamer.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Charlie is the one who gets the short end of the stick to be sure and I don't think he even gets to come to the final battle, I think he's just off in Romania recruiting other wizards for the majority of the last book. I think at a certain point there's only so much Rowling could do with "older Weasely brother who isn't a douchebag traitor like Percy" because there's even a joke about Molly cutting his hair for the wedding which is just directly recycled from a joke about Bill in GoF.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

What would’ve happened if Tommy just took out a Glock and capped Harry and his mother?

“I have access to magic Dumbledore never dreamed of”

*pulls out a hand grenade*

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ungulateman posted:

please read,

another book

I'm currently reading The Course of the Heart which is about some people who when they were in college did some kind of occult sexual ritual and the effects are reverberating in their later adult lives.

I'm also reading Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang which so far is a really good book of short stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

We went during new years a few years ago (my family paid I can't afford that poo poo) and it was way too crowded to get an honest opinion. But Universal definitely sucked compared to Disney.

Pros: the foam on the butterbeer tastes good, they serve english breakfasts which are shockingly rare in the US, the Daniel Radcliffe holograms in the line for the Hogwarts ride are very convincing

We went during Halloween a few years ago, we got to Universal right at opening which is 100% the way to go because when we arrived at the Hogwarts/Hogsmeade section it was really empty and we got on the castle ride immediately. Later in the afternoon we went to Diagon Alley which was 1. insanely more detailed and impressive and 2. also super crowded at that point. I kind of wish we did them in the opposite order, because we would have been able to wonder around the alley a bit more freely and also we kind of breezed past the "castle" part of Hogwarts which was all the ride line, and the line for Gringotts while cool wasn't quite as fun (also someone had vomitted in the corner of one of the elevators :/)

Weirdly we had the exact opposite opinion and my wife loved Universal but hated Disney. I think one of the issues was that we went with a group and did one too many of those character meet and greet things, and also spent too much time in the magic kingdom which has some of the oldest rides.

Zesty posted:

Yeah, Jo. Jfc

She kind of anchored herself to having an semi-omniscient third person narrator anchored to one person* -- in most cases Harry -- so she needed a way to go through Voldemort's backstory without breaking that conceit or doing anything overly creative with her plot structure.

* there's probably a more accurate word for this I'm blanking on