Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

I mean the first chapter in several of the books were from someone else's POV before it goes to Harry for the rest. Only books 2, 3 and 5 are exclusively from Harry's POV.

Philosopher's Stone starts with Dumbleore's POV, Goblet of Fire starts with the groundskeeper who gets murdered, HBP starts with the Prime Minister meeting Scrimgeour then the Snape chapter, DH starts with a big Death Eater scene with Voldemort.

Yeah, I think the biggest discrepancy is that sometimes you can "hear" the POV character's thoughts and know their history like you can with Harry and sometimes you can't. Like for the groundskeeper he is thinking that the light in the Riddle house is just vandal kids, but then for the Bellatrix/Narcissa chapter you don't really get any insight into what they're thinking (for obvious reasons here tho).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A lot of Dumbledore's weird infuriating silence and round-about teaching is mostly just a narrative conceit, but there is also some logic to some of the bigger things. Like he should just straight up tell Harry "here is what a horcrux is and I am 90% sure that Voldemort has several of them, but I think Slughorn's memory might have a clue to how many" but from a plot beat perspective they do eventually get there; and ultimately he is showing Harry all this stuff for the eventual hand-off where Harry himself is going to need to hunt Horcruxes following flimsy leads from Voldy's past.

His biggest gently caress-up IMO is not telling Harry about the prophecy past the point of reason but he also kind of realizes as of book 4 that Harry is seeing in Voldemort's mind and fears that Voldemort could reverse that link and spy on him (although at the point he's having Snape do Occlumency he could pass some info to Harry re: "Voldemort is going to try and trick you into going to the Hall of Mysteries so do not take that bait"*)

Then there's the whole sticky "you are the last Horcrux and need to be killed by Voldemort which might not actually kill you but you still need to believe you'll die for the maximum magic effect; also Snape is the most important player here but I can't let you know why he is secretly a good guy because your brain link with the main bad guy might gently caress things up bigtime if he realizes this"

* also as a side note what the gently caress was Sirius thinking not being more open about giving Harry the 2-way mirror? Harry even breaks into Umbridge's office after this and Sirius doesn't say "holy hell don't do this again, I gave you a thing to contact me!"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

amigolupus posted:

To be fair to Sirius, he trusted Harry to open the package he gave him as soon as he got back to school. Harry was just a dipshit who thought he didn't want Sirius to get into any more trouble and stuffed the mirror all the way down in his luggage and forgot about it.

That, and after the entire sequence of events that spiraled from Harry breaking into Umbridge's office again, Sirius was dead as a doornail. :v:

I have a small suspicion that the scene as originally intended might have just had Lupin but JK wanted to give Harry a last chance to have a nice chat with his godfather.

I do totally love the setup of "Sirius gives Harry something to summon him immediately after Sirius does something insanely reckless" but my biggest issue is just that there was plenty of opportunity to get a message to Harry saying "seriously, stop using Umbridge's fire, I have you a thing to talk to me..." even via owl or an Order member between the post-Christmas fire visit and the Dept. of Mysteries visions. Like the Quidditch final and their O.W.L.s happen between those events, and also Harry just let slip that Snape stopped teaching him Occlumency and neither Lupin nor Sirius ever follow up.

I know I'm being super pedantic tho but I like loose ends tied up!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm actually a little confused about who knows what about Sirius being framed. By five all of Dumbledore's wizards seem to accept he's one of their strongest (but dumbest, but also sexiest) dudes, but in three it seems everyone believes the official line. Dumbledore seems to passively accept that he's innocent but there's no explanation as to whether he knew the whole time. He acts like he does, but also, he allows the whole castle to freak out. Meanwhile Snape and Lupin seem to have truly believed he was a wizard Hitler loyalist and school shooter. To be fair Snape is absolutely the type to go to extreme lengths to own his high school rival, but also, you'd think Dumbledore would have mentioned to his top spy that Sirius was cool.

I think at best Dumbledore suspected that things weren't entirely what they seemed regarding Sirius, Pettigrew and the betrayal, but like were discussing before, Dumbledore has an annoying habit of keeping his mouth firmly shut regarding some of his theories until they are proven to be true.

The Sirius situation seemed pretty open and shut, the Potters told Dumbledore that Sirius was their secret keeper, there were witnesses saying that Peter confronted Sirius and got blown up alongside a bunch of muggles. Also, nobody knew that the 3 of them were unregistered Animagi and Sirius must have known it would be a convenient story for him to rat (heh) Pettigrew out about that (and of course telling the authorities that he himself was an Animagus would not have made him look trustworthy and would take away the one edge he had in Azkaban). I doubt a hunch by Dumbledore would have changed anyone's minds, least of all Snape who would have felt personally insulted for Dumbledore to say his arch nemesis might not have been the monster Snape always thought he was.

Really I think Dumbledore just trusted Harry enough at that point and he had enough reason to doubt Sirius's betrayal that when he heard the story everything snapped into place for him. Also Lupin was the one other person who was perfectly in a place to accept the real version of events, since he knew that the Marauder's Map never lies and that it showing Peter was alive already turned the accepted version on its head. Apart from the two of them and the kids I don't think anyone knew anything until the end of Goblet (although Dumbledore probably should have gently explained to Snape in the meantime that Harry's story from the previous year was true and Sirius was innocent, and maybe he should just chill the gently caress out a bit on Harry)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Aragog says in Chamber "my children don't attack Hagrid on my orders" so presumably once he died they stopped giving a gently caress. Probably a better question is how the hell did Hagrid survive until the end of book 7 having thoroughly pissed off the centaurs in Order and without Aragog's protection, and my best guess is everything was afraid of Grawp (which would explain why the spiders nabbed Hagrid once Grawp was out of the forest)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Hagrid is a badass. It's easy to forget because he really is like a big kid but one of my favorite parts of the series is in OOTP when Umbridge tries to arrest him and he annihilates her and her squad of goons.

Hagrid was a great character. Lotta folks talk about Harry's 'father figure" with people suggesting Sirius or Arthur Weasley. I know Hagrid isn't really like a dad to Harry but he is like a big brother. He's been with Harry longer than anyone and his death was the one I feared most in Book 7.

Oh yeah that's true, I realized on my most recent read through that it was Umbridge and like 5 Aurors who try to take him down and get clobbered, for some reason I always thought it was more discreet and it was her with just 2.

Also as part of my favorite recurring joke, Dawlish is the one named Auror who gets flattened. I remembered the joke but I hadn't noticed how often it actually happens, he is basically the single Auror who they mention anytime a good guy needs to floor an Auror and make a daring escape. And at one point it's basically implied he has the magical equivalent of a bad concussion after getting wrecked so many times which is slowing him down for each subsequent encounter.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You kind of get the impression that even Rowling is like “yea this guy is lovable and kind but way too much of a gently caress up to trust with actual magic; anyway let me explain how my magic school has a quarter of its students shuffled into a nazi fostering community”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Southpaugh posted:

hagrid gets laid right?

For sure, when he talks about his trip with Madame Maxine he gets a starry look in his eyes and the kids basically let him have a moment

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ughhhhh it's the "isn't there someone you forgot to ask?" consent meme but with literal slaves :whitewater:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's hilarious that I pored over those old "guide to the mysteries of harry potter" maps as a kid when 3/4/5 were coming out and then both six AND seven just introduce asspulls as keys to the story. The horcruxes weren't so bad I guess because there had to be something weird Voldemort was doing to stay alive.

Also while maybe not being completely planned out the Horcruxes specifically built off existing story elements, like Harry's connection to Voldemort through his scar and the diary of Tom Riddle. And yeah you needed to explain how Voldemort stayed alive and the connection to Harry while giving Harry some practical way of defeating him, and a quest for powerful objects ticks a bunch of boxes.

The Hallows are so much worse since they aren't necessary at this point in the story and there's not a hunt for them, even. They start the story with 2 and figure out that the other main good guy had the 3rd the whole time and that robbing his grave would have never even been a consideration. Like "the great quest for the Legendary Hallows" was completed by Dumbledore off-screen between books and Harry never even possessed all 3 at the same time lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zesty posted:

gently caress off, Jo.

The weird oversight here is that she could have fulfilled her secret TERF fantasies and had the bathrooms in the literal magic world she herself invented magically count your chromosomes and refuse entry. But instead she accidentally tells on herself by making there be a bunch of incredibly easy ways an unguarded bathroom could be accessed and used to hurt someone, proving that her one specific hang up is a lot of bullshit nonsense.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The 6th movie does recast Lavender as a white girl as soon as she has to make out with one of the leads which is pretty hosed. No telling if Jo had any part of either the original or recasting tho.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like there's a few reasons it wouldn't be common knowledge. One big one going into Hogwarts is that it's probably a bad idea to tell a bunch of kids that they can gently caress up each other's ability to use their wands by stealing them (although, this doesn't explain why someone like Lucius never told Draco since it's the exact type of poo poo he does in earlier books so Draco constantly has the upper hand against his peers). Another is that -- outside the Order and the death eaters -- the vast majority of wizards are non-combatants and/or totally gormless so it's not something that's likely ever to come up, and would likely just lead to a bunch of annoying questions for wizard IT (e.g. "if I forget my wand on the bus and a stranger hands it to me, do they own it now??").

But yeah it absolutely should have come up sooner particularly in both books 2 and 5 where kids are practicing Expeliarmus and wands are flying all over the goddamn place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I love that in the canon sequel play you find out that Lucius Malfoy got to stay rich and fund the creation of a better time turner to bring back Voldemort. Like why wouldn’t you seize that guy’s assets and throw him in prison? There apparently wasn’t even a wizard version of the Nuremberg trials after Voldemort’s defeat

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tbf he never uses the new time turner himself and Draco makes some comment about how he probably didn't want to actually bring back Voldemort. It's just wild to me that there was absolutely no checks on this guy who served as one of Voldemort's inner circle twice and even did a bunch of obvious evil poo poo in between. In the early books there was always the whole idea that they wouldn't be able to prove anything enough to get the government he was openly bribing to step in, but particularly once Harry and Hermione advanced through the government as big heroes you'd think at that point their word would be enough to convict.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zesty posted:

On the other hand, he also doesn’t give a flying gently caress about dark lords or people suffering. So he’ll just not use his ability to completely resist the ring to save the entire world.

He’s a bad person and he’s bad writing.

He does care about people suffering which is why he saves the hobbits several times. He just has old god ADD where after a century or two he would gradually forget about the ring and drop it somewhere and the whole cycle would start over.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Peeves is Bombadil because they both just got totally cut out of the movie adaptation .

This is the correct answer: a colorful rhyming character that was excised from the movie for adding nothing.

Furthermore:

Neville is Eowyn, the character everyone underestimated who decapitates the bad guy's demonic general at a key moment

Draco is Gollum, who attempts to betray the good guy near the end but just ends up dropping the bad guys magical circular jewelry (that his life force is tied to) into the only substance that can melt it

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

The whole fiendfyre thing is just such a weird writing contrivance to me. It only ever comes up once and expressly for the purpose of blowing up a horcrux, but this is also right near another scene where Ron and Hermione run off to the chamber of secrets and find a basilisk fang to destroy a different horcrux. So why couldn't they just meet back up and use the fang on the diadem as well? Why was it necessary to write in this whole new spell that destroys the mcguffins? Hell they also had the sword at one point too, which also can destroy horcruxes!

Chekov's Gun, except there's no gun hanging on the wall and instead the characters coincidentally find a gun under the couch near the end of act 1 right when they need it. Then in act 2 when they really could use that gun again instead of just using it again, one of the characters opens a drawer and pulls out a pistol. Then in act 3 a completely different character who's yet to appear in the play barges in with a machine gun and just starts blasting.

Well at least for the sword, they get it and destroy the locket, then it's stolen by Griphook right when they get the cup and doesn't come back into their possession until Neville pulls it out of the Sorting Hat (although seriously Harry should have just word the drat thing around if he wanted to sword back, there were plenty of opportunities to get it in a moment of bravery during the battle).

The fiendfyre thing is super weird, because yeah at that point they had an armful of fangs for the exact purpose of getting rid of horcruxes, although those may have been left in the Room of Requirement when they turned it into the lost item room. It seems like a combination of: 1) wanting there to be more ways to destroy Horcruxes so you don't just have repetitive scenes of stabbing them with the sword and fangs, 2) wanting to potentially remove the Room of Req from play since it was an obvious place to hide people and use as a headquarters, and 3) wanting another Gollum/Wormtail-esque "the bad guys even had a fateful role to play" style switcheroo.

It's also another thing that makes Hermione look insanely dumb because she doesn't even mention it or entertain the idea that they could use fienfyre even tho there's obviously gotta be some kind of way to shut it off, and they could have just like, dug a deep hole to use it in on the locket.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Are you kidding me? He knows exactly one spell and it's the one that knocks people's wands out of their hands.

lol that he arrogantly is like "if you dumb children think Expeliarmus is stupid, then how did it save me against Voldemort, huh?" when he knows full well it was twin core bullshit that saved him and he could have cast a nose itching spell against Voldy and probably gotten the same effect

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

In OotP there's one point where Umbridge sounds off to her class about how terrible the track record of the DAtDA teachers is, and while the class is pushing back one of the kids (Seamus I think?) is all "honestly that secret death eater guy pretending to be Moody taught us loads." I really like the idea that Crouch Jr. while in deep cover try to kill Harry actually ended up turning out one of more well put together anti-dark magic semesters Harry ever had.

Yeah, Crouch Jr. does a lot of stuff that ends up being helpful in the guise of just using people. Like he gives Neville some encouragement which probably helps Neville a lot at the time but it's all just to give him the book with gillyweed in it.

Also the scene with Umbridge is hilarious. She lists Quirrel as the best DAtDA teacher and even if she thinks the "Voldemort on the back of the head' thing is BS, dude still tried to choke a student to death (just shows her priorities really lol). Also she's like "do you expected to be attacked in my classroom?" but there were two murderers out of the 4 teachers thus far, and given what she thinks about werewolves she should concede "yeah actually this is class has a pretty dangerous track record"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Southpaugh posted:

Something that always pissed me off was this impression that arthur weasley had no idea how physics worked or whatever and he was just pressing his wand against things and grunting in pig latin. Tell me that the man has a haynes manual for that loving car. Does he know what a circuit is? AC/DC?

As the books go along there's very quickly and obvious contradictions between "the muggle world is so completely alien to wizards! What is a fellytone? and the idea that like, a lot of these wizarding institutions and homes are just smack dab in the middle of muggle world and you'd have to be literally blind to not pick up on like, what people wear or how to act around them. Like for example the first time they visit St. Mungo's they have to use the Underground because it's in a disused department store, and they say "this was the best solution" as if having a wizard who has a cat fused with their head on the train is clearly the cleanest solve.

There's of course the idea that a lot of the wizards just apparate/floo powder directly into the wizarding places they want to visit and literally never interact with the normal world, but especially with the kids JK just has them wearing normal rear end clothes all the time since e.g. Fred and George want to head into town to flirt with muggle girls or whatever. The movies also abandon this dumb pretense basically immediately as well and they have slightly wizardish boarding school clothes instead of full on robes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t think it’s weird that an 11 year old can’t maneuver the awkward social situation of not knowing how to give your fortune to your friend’s family as an act of charity. Honestly the fact that there is poverty and inequality in a literal magic land is a wild failure of the imagination. Like in general the stuff the Weasleys don’t have are luxury items like fancy brooms, you’d think they could just learn how to enchant a fast broom.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And they go on to invent ipecac syrup, roofies, and laxatives. Those guys were so funny and cool. Such pranksters.

Draco uses one of Fred and George's products to break into Hogwarts, assassinate Dumbledore and brutally scar their brother.

Ron: "I'm gonna have to talk to those two, sternly if necessary"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Don't they win the Wizard Lottery and then immediately blow it all on a vacation in Egypt, despite their crushing poverty? Maybe Harry was being sensible not giving Arthur and Molly Weasley money.

Yeah but again their "crushing poverty" is like, the kids have to wear hand-me-downs and it takes awhile to replace Ron's wand (after he fucks up and breaks it) and they don't fly cutting edge brooms. In the last book Ron specifically gets grumpy because of how well-fed he's always been, so it's not like they are going around begging, they just don't have wizard luxuries (which again is still kind of ill-conceived since you'd think that you can easily use magic to fix clothing and enchant a broom if you wanted one)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

MoR "fixes" this. Or so I hear.

The thing I got from MoR from the Let's Read was that it was an adult man who read the HP books and decided that a bunch of stuff was stupid and essentially wrote himself into the book as Harry effectively trying to speed run the entire series with his knowledge of the greater meta-narrative. It's actually hilarious because for all the lofty talk about "Rationality" and "Logic" the way this Harry accomplishes his goals is by being a total little sociopath and manipulating or blackmailing everybody in the school to get his way (at least, as far as I followed along)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also “is Snape a bad guy actually?” Where the obvious answer was “lol nah”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

yea this is the whole lacking internal logical consistency thing.

Example:
We know Bill, Percy and Barty Jr. got 12 OWLs. How? Did they study a bit and just go for a passing mark on the test? Or were they actually required to attend the classes? If so, did they all get time turners? Or did the staff randomly decide to run classes concurrently one year? Did they use the time turners to sleep, unlike super clever Hermione? How do you even get a decent OWL grade in Divination?

I lie awake at night pondering the Great Questions of Our Time.

The way Hogwarts is run I assumed this was some instance where someone at the Ministry put pressure on the school governors to make rules so you couldn't take night or weekend or summer classes, all classes had to be scheduled within a certain time window, you had to have taken a class completely to take the OWL exam, etc. Probably so their rich failson could skate by and the Weaselys of the world didn't keep advancing on hard work and merit alone.

Cause yeah in reality there's probably ways to schedule this poo poo and provide extra classes/tutoring that didn't involve ripping the space-time fabric to pieces.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cranappleberry posted:

That's a pretty good head-canon explanation.

The problem is that it's head-canon.

OH yeah I mean absolutely. The reality is that Joanne wrote these books one at a time and often would ignore previous details, like with the Playstaton, the Tri-Wizard tourney, etc etc

That's not even necessarily a bad way to approach writing a fun kids series like this IMO, if some previous one-off line is going to prevent a potentially fun story (the overachiever Hermione attempting to take so many classes she needs to gently caress with time to even attempt it) than gently caress the old throwaway line. Coupled with other sloppy stuff she does it tends to stand out more and be low hanging fruit to complain about.

FunkyAl posted:

What do wizards think of movies, and do they like them better or worse than enchanted pictures

Presumably they are even more annoying than the typical cinema sins type doing poo poo like going "heh why didn't Gandalf just use Confliglero what kind of wizard is he :smug:" and annoying the poo poo out of everyone around them

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They also had to have known that Ron would immediately have access to it as Harry's best friend, and as a rule they tend to shy away of showing affection to their younger brother, preferring to look after him in round-about ways.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

josh04 posted:

They all become cops in the end but Ron (like Percy) is a school prefect (at heart). Fred and George become super establishment the second they leave school though.

Ron’s like the worst prefect ever tho, not even just abusing his power but forgetting he even has any a lot of the time until Hermione is like “Ron! We need to lead the first years” while he’s stuffing his pockets with dessert or whatever.

Also Ron gets made prefect since he needs a boost to his self esteem because he’s basically the definitive side kick who has zero skills or strengths the hero doesn’t have. Dumbledore says it’s cause Harry had too much on his plate but there’s still no reason for it to go to Ron instead of like, Dean Thomas.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

amigolupus posted:

loving :lol: at Harry silently fuming that Ron got the position of prefect, when he's supposed to be Dumbledore's golden boy. What an entitled little poo poo.

The conversation he has with himself in his head is honestly pretty well done and shows him to be kind of a shithead who still gets disgusted by himself and ultimately chooses friendship and congratulates Ron then mostly forgets about it (until Dumbledore kind of stupidly is like, "sorry you are my special boy I should have chosen you")

There is seriously a running theme with Harry kind of being a lovely friend to Ron specifically through obliviousness as well as not understanding that people can still have problems that are more subtle than "Wizard Hitler orphaned and now wants to personally murder me". It kind of happens repeatedly and I think it's not really until the locket horcrux death scene in book 7 that Harry fully realizes "oh being in my shadow is loving Ron up psychologically" and says something actually really insightful and heartfelt to Ron about it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

Ron's whole running character struggle, basically from the moment he's introduced until the locket scene, is his inferiority complex. He considers himself the least of his brothers in terms of ability or accomplishment, as well as the least of his own circle of friends: almost universally outshined by Harry and Hermione. It's subtle in the earlier books but from about OotP onward it a huge stumbling block for him, like how he assumes he's garbage at Quiddich because he's not instantly flawless at it like Harry is, or how he just assumes that if Hermione was going to be into one of him or Harry it would obviously be Harry (ironically something Jo herself now agrees with lol).

Yea definitely. Dumbledore basically offhand mentions it in book one, it’s even made clear later on that the Weasleys were low key trying for a girl since they stopped immediately after Ginny, and that Ron is aware of this.

Also Hermione’s decision to go for the funny tall guy with the great family instead of the extremely moody guy is probably the smartest thing she does in the series (I also like the implication that they bond a lot off screen while Harry is doing bonus adventures or in the hospital wing for weeks out of each year)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cursed Child was at least co-written by two other authors, one being an actual playwright, the other being the guy who directed the original performances, so I don't think you can hang everything on Rowling. It's also radically different in formula than the way Rowling handles the original series, not only because of the obvious difference in the play structure but also because it kind of blazes through several years of Hogwarts for the kids. It's not bad, the biggest flaw is that it is so beholden to the series for all its ideas and feels a lot more like fan fiction, without anything really "new" being added. It did introduce Scorpius tho, who is the best boy.

The Fantastic Beasts are written as if Rowling thought up the idea for a full HP-sized novel and then worked backwards to pare them down to movie sized scripts. Which sort've worked for the original HP movies because you had professional scriptwriters adapting the books and using their knowledge of how movies work to pick out the most important bits, but in Rowling's case it just feels like there is some novel length story out there that these were badly cut down from. Also the second one is just a mess in general and feels like a bridge movie between two totally different concepts (the quirky adventures of Newt Scamander and the war between Dumbledore and Grindelwald) with a third story (the weird Lestrange revenge plot) crowbarred in to fill things out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

Though I don't think they're ever mentioned after the first book until Harry notes them blown up in book seven. Also the movies excised them

There's definitely at least 2 scenes in OotP that mention them. One where Draco is able to dock points once he is a member of Umbridge's squad and the kids look over to confirm that it actual works. The second is at the very end where Snape goes to dock points but then sneers and says like "oh looks like you don't even have any points" and McGonagall shows up back from the hospital and gives everyone a bunch of points (including Luna as the only non-Gryffindor to get points for going to the Ministry)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

reignofevil posted:

As a dedicated scholar of hogwarts history I simply must know how the house points ended up as they were by the end of that year.

'Well a bunch of them were awarded for breaking into a government building...'

lol yeah it's weird. It's phrased as them "exposing Voldemort's return" or whatever. The crazy thing is that McGonagall just waltzes in like 3 hours before the end of year feast and dumps like 250 points onto Gryffindor. And the way the teacher's (especially her and Snape) get so competitive about this poo poo you'd think that in the last few days of the year that kids would be getting 100 points for holding the door for someone, or -100 for misspelling a word on an essay until Dumbledore had to step in and tell them to knock it off (except he's typically doing it as well)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also got the impression after year one that Gryffindor wins the house cup basically every year Harry is there, then it becomes more about them trying to win the Quidditch Cup. I swear at one point McGonagall yells at Harry for causing trouble because she doesn't want to lose the cup (this might be like, right at the beginning of Chamber tho after the flying car incident)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: One of the objectively good bits is how hornt up brooding teen Harry spends time raging about that Cedric fucker but everything we actually see of Cedric is that he just rules. Awesome guy when not viewed through the lens of a teenager with PTSD.

lol I love when Harry is trying to figure out the egg puzzle and he's all "I can't believe I told Cedric about the dragons and he tells me to take a bath. This gently caress. This clown"

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

By all indications, Quirrell, Lupin and Fake Moody taught to a reasonable level. Snape was his normal poo poo self but was probably adequate for everyone who wasn't named 'Potter'.

Snape just apparently spends the entirety of their sixth year teaching non-vocal spells, which Harry does genuinely suck at since he wears his emotions on his sleeve (and is constantly irritated at Snape when he’s trying)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sydin posted:

2. Hagrid: sucks rear end as a teacher, and there's a substitute on standby who is far more deserving of the gig. But Hagrid is Dumbledore's friend, so

Honestly, Hagrid isn't even bad, he's kind of the inverse of Snape; whereas Snape is such a dick that it wrecks his students' confidence, Hagrid loses confidence when people are a dick to him. He actually does have a shitload of knowledge and hands on experience with these creatures when it comes down to it, he's basically constantly proving the kids' fears wrong when they think he is going to do something stupid or dangerous (that stuff is usually relegated to extra curricular fuckery).

His first lesson with Buckbeak is honestly really good, Malfoy just fucks it up. You could argue a proud Hippogriff is too dangerous to subject to a bunch of rear end in a top hat 13 year olds but the danger is about a "6" on the scale of poo poo that usually happens at Hogwarts. After that he loses confidence and the entire year is Flobberworms, tho. The fourth year starts with the cool lesson on Nifflers and then they spend a bunch of the year raising Blast Ended Screwts for the tournament, which is weird but honestly an ongoing project about actually raising a magical creature is pretty in line with the class (instead of just having a spotlight creature every week). The fifth year he has a good class on Thestrals and even after Grubby Plank does the Unicorn class which everyone loves, Hagrid one-ups her with the even cooler baby Unicorn class.

I'm also pretty sure Harry who never studies gets a high O.W.L. in the subject (it's kind of a forgone conclusion that Hermione would get an 'Outstanding' by memorizing every book on magical creatures) so he's gotta be doing something right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda thought the implication was that most intentional fortune telling is bunk with confidence, and even when it's not, it's often too subtle to really tell for sure.

Which is also why Hermione is absolutely right to hate it.

Yeah it's basically like, either you have "the sight" or you don't and literally anything else is bunk, there doesn't seem to be any actual way to teach it or increase your skill. It basically shouldn't exist as a subject at all, chalk it up to tradition.

Sydin posted:

He's good on the Hogwarts scale - which is to say he only gets a dozen or so kids maimed per school year - but Grubby-Plank or whatever the hell her name is - the sub - is noted in the text to do a much better job of teaching students about magical creatures without endangering their lives.

Eh but again did anyone but Malfoy ever actually get hurt? Maybe some kids had burns and stings from the Skrewts. And like SlothfulCobra said, Madame Pomfrey could clear up anything short of a bitten off head instantly, Malfoy was just being a twerp and milked his injury. Harry alone ends up hospitalized exclusively from Quidditch games more than the total number of students who even get mild injuries across all the books from Hagrid's classes.

Grubby Plank teaches really by the book classes but the one class she teaches about Unicorns that everyone is thrilled with Hagrid comes back and is like "hey here's something even cooler" and shows them baby Unicorns. Hagrid's biggest problem is the stuff he thinks is cool and worth learning about is not always what the students think is cool, but he literally gives them a bunch of hands on experience handling and caring for magical creatures (and like Jazerus said, literally working with a brand new cross breed creature is something you'd be thrilled to do in a college biology course, these ungrateful fuckers get to do it when they're 14)