Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
big mom is called as such since she is the only living mother in all of one piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope his ma is Alive. My guess is his oul one will turn out to be involved with the celestials or at the very least has a history with them. Leading to the dragon revolution. Which I wish would finally do something onscreen.

Like he's the worlds most dangerous criminal and he just stands there going "hmm... hrmm.. ahh. mm"

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He does it dramatically though, accompanied by dramatically appropriate weather.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If he doesn't have the wind/storm fruit I will eat my hat

I like Dadan as Luffy's mother regardless of who his bio one is. Dadan owns and lowkey one of my favourite moments is her staying behind with Ace to duke it out with Bluejam

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

EmmyOk posted:

I like Dadan as Luffy's mother regardless of who his bio one is. Dadan owns and lowkey one of my favourite moments is her staying behind with Ace to duke it out with Bluejam
Don't forget her physically and verbally assaulting Garp after Marineford. That scene never fails to tug at my heart.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

My favorite theory is that Dragon eloped with the daughter of the King of Goa and that's why we never see the king's face in Sabo's flashback because it would give the game away.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ZiegeDame posted:

So just constantly every hour of the day?

sex is a long balloon where if you suppress one end the other end sees tremendous growth.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

The closest thing to sex that's ever been addressed outside of people just having children was Luffy's mushroom on Amazon Lilly played as a gag so I wouldn't think too much about this stuff, this ain't Berserk

That was also one of the most powerful series of events I've ever read, and I've read a lot of good stuff and a lot of trash.

If Oda could find a way to parallel something similar in a way that made sense to the story line, he should include it shonen be damned. Sex sells

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

My favorite theory is that Dragon eloped with the daughter of the King of Goa and that's why we never see the king's face in Sabo's flashback because it would give the game away.

I think something like this is likely, she's definitely connected to power. I also suspect dead because imo it'd be lame if she's just in jail the whole time or trapped in Mariejois only to be introduced in 2 years. IMO anything other than dead would feel pretty jarring because we know all the world's major players and crews/orgs by now. Unless Oda has been super slyly setting her up for years. Or it's Great Imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

Don't forget her physically and verbally assaulting Garp after Marineford. That scene never fails to tug at my heart.

Yeah I really like that scene too but the Bluejam resonates with me more personally because it doesn't feel so much on the nose. Not that I think the scene you mentioned is badly done but it's very clearly a sad scene whereas the Bluejam one I think has a bit more subtly going on and I just love it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I'm still having a lot of trouble figuring this out why these two. Didn't Viola know that Doffy basically manipulated her father into committing mass murder and overthrew her family's kingdom. Why would she sleep with him?

Probably in order to make herself more "indispensable" to him. She didn't want him to decide that the risk of her betraying him outweighed the value of her Devil Fruit ability or whatever it was he originally kept her around for, and have her killed or turned into a toy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The other possibility is that Luffy's mom is working with Dragon and just hasn't been mentioned yet because they keep their relationship secret anyway, with Dragon himself suggesting leaving Luffy with Garp for safety or whatever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What shonen protags have both of their parents in the story? MHA is a bit unusual in that both of Deku's parents are alive and well but his dad has never showed up because he's perpetually working. But most have at least one dead/missing parent.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Mob?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Naruto and Bleach

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bleck posted:

Naruto and Bleach

Huh? Both of Naruto's parents are dead and Ichigo's mom is dead.

I guess I should be clear, I mean their parents alive and well in the story.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RatHat posted:

What shonen protags have both of their parents in the story? MHA is a bit unusual in that both of Deku's parents are alive and well but his dad has never showed up because he's perpetually working. But most have at least one dead/missing parent.

Jotaro, Josuke, Jolyne.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Funky Valentine posted:

Jotaro, Josuke, Jolyne.

Josuke I'll grant, but Jotaro's dad never appears on panel and Jolyne's mom is never named.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RatHat posted:

the gamer if it counts and also is the same with the dad never shown

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Begemot posted:

Josuke I'll grant, but Jotaro's dad never appears on panel and Jolyne's mom is never named.

Jotaro's dad never showed up either.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat posted:

Kinnikuman of all things has the Kinniku royal family alive and well and appearing sometimes lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

RatHat posted:

trunks, gohan and goten. most of the time.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i guess they're not really protagonists.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RatHat posted:

There's part 1 of Baki, but it's kind of weird...

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yu Yu Hakusho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gon has both of his parents alive

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

Gon has both of his parents alive

Although Aunt Mito is the only mom Gon needs, I thought we know all of jack poo poo about Gon’s biological mom one way or the other since he himself had less than half a poo poo to give and closed the door completely on that plot thread himself?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

She ran off before he was born

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ging is his mother

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oda is on record saying that moms are the antithesis of adventure so I don't expect to see Luffy's mom, or if we do I have a feeling it won't be great

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7PQVcgwGmc

Totally Not Mark reached Punk Hazard, and I think there are some good points to be made. The lab setting for the second half of the arc is so much more boring than the island literally always being icy or fiery depending on the side.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Scratchman Apoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7PQVcgwGmc

Totally Not Mark reached Punk Hazard, and I think there are some good points to be made. The lab setting for the second half of the arc is so much more boring than the island literally always being icy or fiery depending on the side.
I honestly kind of wish we got to see more of the fire side of the island. I'm sure Oda could've worked out more to be there than the dragon. Aside from that and Smiley, it was basically just the lab or the ice part. And we already had Drum Island so an ice island wasn't treading new ground that much.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i'll watch that vid soon, i've liked his read so far, though i definitely suspect he's a bit further in the story than he lets on when he's reviewing some arcs

i think one major reason i dislike punk hazard is bc its a "cultureless" island. everywhere else in the new world has preexisting history and culture and design, from fishman island to dressrosa to zou to wci to especially wano.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

tbp posted:

i definitely suspect he's a bit further in the story than he lets on when he's reviewing some arcs
I'm curious, what makes you say that? I admit I find it hard to believe he's as blind about the series as he claims. Even if scant, broken knowledge I feel like he would at least see spoiling images from the series or seen discussions before actually giving the series a go.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

tbp posted:

i think one major reason i dislike punk hazard is bc its a "cultureless" island.

it's america

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tbp posted:

i'll watch that vid soon, i've liked his read so far, though i definitely suspect he's a bit further in the story than he lets on when he's reviewing some arcs

i think one major reason i dislike punk hazard is bc its a "cultureless" island. everywhere else in the new world has preexisting history and culture and design, from fishman island to dressrosa to zou to wci to especially wano.

It may seem like he's further along than he is because his editor is clearly very familiar with the series and is editing in a lot of winks and nods to the long-time fans. In a previous video, Mark said something about the pacing being really good and how he hopes that remains, and then it cuts to a shot of a birdcage.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tbp posted:

I dunno, I kind of liked that 'wilderness' feeling. It's a dead facility, not a living place. And that's interesting at least as a contrast to most of the other islands we've seen.

Little Garden is the only other abandoned island we've been to, and they feel very different.

I wouldn't want all the islands to be that way, and I prefer "cultural" islands, but it's a big world, and it's neat to see wasteland too sometimes.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I am very interested to see his take on Dressrosa, because if he had pacing issues with Punk Hazard then ohhhh boy.

I also didn't realise that arc was over 100 chapters and nearly 120 episodes in the anime. That's actually insane that we spent so much time on just one island.

Also just an FYI for anyone who didn't know, Odas SBS got translated for the latest volume and he talks about how long till the series will actually end and what he meant by only 5 years of story left.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 18, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Countblanc posted:

Oda is on record saying that moms are the antithesis of adventure so I don't expect to see Luffy's mom, or if we do I have a feeling it won't be great

His mom is the big hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
DefinitelynotMark is probably going to catch up to us at the rate he's going (~50 chapters a week) by Halloween but his content is so good, I hope he does deep lore dives or starts to watch anime filler.