Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You want to be legalistic about it we met Sabo 13 years into the series and are fast approaching the point where he's been in the story as long as he hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

You want to be legalistic about it we met Sabo 13 years into the series and are fast approaching the point where he's been in the story as long as he hasn't.

Yeah, I know. It doesn't make his introduction any less jarring to me. He feels like something Oda didn't add to the story outline until a couple of years before he appeared.

Honestly I wouldn't be so harsh if he had a discernable personality.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Blockhouse posted:

I just don't care about Sabo and I think a lot of that is just the framing around his introduction

Throwing in a character who is deeply important to the protagonist but has never been mentioned or alluded to in the past twenty years of your manga will never not put me off.

I feel like introducing him as supposedly dead in a flashback immediately after Ace's death really made him seem lame right off the bat. Like he was supposed to be the replacement for Ace. When he actually showed up in Dressrosa, I liked him a lot more, but that flashback was a terrible idea.

Contrast with Ace's intro being him just showing up in Alabasta, and Luffy saying "oh hey that's my brother". It's like Oda was trying way too hard to sell us on Sabo right off the bat, instead of letting him show up at a more natural point in the story.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i love sabo because luffy loves sabo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It helped that he was made much cooler than Ace by his lead pipe, his stovepipe hat and his willingness to wear a shirt most of the time

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I like Koala.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Koala and Hack are both very very good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I like Sabo but I think the flashback would have had more impact if it came before Ace's death rather than after. It would make the Ace rescue even more tense because we don't want Luffy to lose ANOTHER brother, it would make Ace's death even more impactful since we know it will mean Luffy has to suffer the death of another brother, and would make Sabo feel less like "Ace 2" since we wouldn't have had him introduced as "oh, yeah, don't worry about Luffy's bro dying, he ahs another not-dead bro!"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

scary ghost dog posted:

i love sabo because luffy loves sabo

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Heck, introduce Sabo in Alabasta with Ace getting worried about Luffy nearly dying and remembering Sabo, perhaps looking meaningfully at his tattoo.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
No break next week. Nobody has to panic on the last page now.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I like Sabo but I think the flashback would have had more impact if it came before Ace's death rather than after. It would make the Ace rescue even more tense because we don't want Luffy to lose ANOTHER brother, it would make Ace's death even more impactful since we know it will mean Luffy has to suffer the death of another brother, and would make Sabo feel less like "Ace 2" since we wouldn't have had him introduced as "oh, yeah, don't worry about Luffy's bro dying, he ahs another not-dead bro!"

When I first read it I thought the whole point of that flashback was the build-up to that final scene where Luffy is crying about Sabo's death and Ace turns to him and says "Don't worry, I'll never die" and that really doesn't have the same impact if it happens anywhere other than right after Marineford.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

When I first read it I thought the whole point of that flashback was the build-up to that final scene where Luffy is crying about Sabo's death and Ace turns to him and says "Don't worry, I'll never die" and that really doesn't have the same impact if it happens anywhere other than right after Marineford.

i agree, and also feel that the reason he hadnt come up before is similar to how ace had never come up before: nothing had really reminded him, and he's really just that simple. he told his crew about ace because he literally appeared in front of him. he reflected on and remembered sabo because he was his brother that died, and ace had just died. he told his crew about sabo because he literally appeared in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Yeah that's definitely a good point.

Paper Lion posted:

i agree, and also feel that the reason he hadnt come up before is similar to how ace had never come up before: nothing had really reminded him, and he's really just that simple. he told his crew about ace because he literally appeared in front of him. he reflected on and remembered sabo because he was his brother that died, and ace had just died. he told his crew about sabo because he literally appeared in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

While true, Oda easily could have shoehorned in some way to have him be mentioned, even in passing. I could see Luffy just going "oh yeah, I had another brother, but he died!" or something. Okay maybe not that cheerfully, but I'm confident Oda could have worked some mention of him in earlier.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The total lack of foreshadowing or even a vague hint really makes it feel like Sabo was a late addition, like Oda knew he was going to kill Ace off for a long time but a bit before Marineford decided he still wanted someone to facilitate a similar role later in the story.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, its clear sabo was an idea he had slightly too late, but under the current conditions i think he was integrated as organically and as true to luffys character as possible. we're watching a man come up with the modern beowulf or gilgamesh off the top of his dome for 20 years, things might not line up perfectly from time to time, its fine imo

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Oda writes "Ace dies" in his rough draft and then a week later gets a check from merchandising and quickly writes below it "Ace 2????"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Honestly I kinda feel like the opposite, in that if we got the flashback before his death then it would have been even more taken for granted that Ace would live since we the audience had already seen one of his brothers die. because Ace dying is something a LOT of us just assumed would never actually happen after like two years of Trying To Save Ace (even with all the buildup from freakin Ennies Lobby up to that point that East Blue/Grand Line Luffy was out of his depth) even after the magma punch, up until the spoilers came out with the chapter being The Death of Portgas D Ace.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

go relive those days: ch 574 spoilers

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I still stand by my prediction that Sabo will defeat akainu

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lpzie posted:

God, that poo poo was so long ago. Time flies when you’re having fun on Eichiro’s Wild Cruise...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lpzie posted:

The most important bit of reading this is I didn't read the spoilers

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

I still stand by my prediction that Sabo will defeat akainu

I think this and that dragon will fight fleet commander Kong.

Though I wish Garp would beat the Christ out of Akainu

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

garp turning on the marines finally after whatever crime against humanity the government/imu did gets exposed leading to him beating akainu with a full chapter of punches to his lovely face because secretly oda wants to break the 7 page muda record from jojo part 5

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

The total lack of foreshadowing or even a vague hint really makes it feel like Sabo was a late addition, like Oda knew he was going to kill Ace off for a long time but a bit before Marineford decided he still wanted someone to facilitate a similar role later in the story.
IIRC someone found an old panel of Ace and Luffy's two sake mugs on a table, where there was clearly a shadow from a 3rd mug visible. So he seems to have been planned for some time. I think this was just a rare case of lame storytelling from Oda.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

garp turning on the marines finally after whatever crime against humanity the government/imu did gets exposed leading to him beating akainu with a full chapter of punches to his lovely face because secretly oda wants to break the 7 page muda record from jojo part 5

Imho it should be a single punch at the end of the chapter that hits him so hard that he flies through the entirety of the next twenty pages of the next chapter while also interrupting whatever cover story arc we’re currently on at that point.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Bisse posted:

IIRC someone found an old panel of Ace and Luffy's two sake mugs on a table, where there was clearly a shadow from a 3rd mug visible. So he seems to have been planned for some time. I think this was just a rare case of lame storytelling from Oda.
People might've cared a lot less if there was just more foreshadowing here, because the reveal of a third sake cup wasn't really enough to make sense of a third brother nobody mentioned, even as small as Luffy saying "I never want to lose someone else" trying to get to Ace

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

someone should get punched so hard they end up in another manga in jump.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That manga panel is from during aces death though iirc so still not that much earlier.

I wouldn’t mind Sabo nearly losing to Akainu and Garp being like not this time SoB

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

I'd like this more

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That would be neat but he’s always felt a bit incongruous. Like not taking an admiralty as he hates the dragons but not leaving the marines. Like how much more does he need them to do.

I do wanna see him unload on MFs at max power though. Praying to every god we get to see the God Valley battle in detail

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

RealFoxy posted:

People might've cared a lot less if there was just more foreshadowing here, because the reveal of a third sake cup wasn't really enough to make sense of a third brother nobody mentioned, even as small as Luffy saying "I never want to lose someone else" trying to get to Ace

On the other hand, Ace had that crossed out S tattoo from the very first time we saw him.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

On the other hand, Ace had that crossed out S tattoo from the very first time we saw him.

are you trying to infer that he was going to have ASL tattooed on him but thought better of it slightly too late, and then tried to blame it on the tattoo artist later? man was a pirate, not a yahoo chatrooms pervert

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The ace sabo crybaby Edward theory is nice but stretches too far for me. Misspelling his name is much more likely and funny to me. I think sabo is a late addition. Considering how well oda forrshadowed other stuff I think sabo is more likely a late addition than him failing to foreshadow.

I like sabo and though his amnesia and addition feels cheap he doesn’t just feel like an ace copy to me and I like him

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I never understood the implication that Ace would be too dumb to spell his name right. He was never shown to be anywhere near that stupid.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ace walks into a random tattoo parlour on some island and says "i want a tattoo of ace on my arm!" and the dipshit tattoo artist can't spell and thinks there's an s instead of a c.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I usually see people say that it was Ace doing the misspelling. It just confuses me a bit.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

probably fell asleep through it

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

TheLoneStar posted:

I never understood the implication that Ace would be too dumb to spell his name right. He was never shown to be anywhere near that stupid.
The misspelled tattoo registered more as impulsive and lackadaisical rather than stupid, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

That would be neat but he’s always felt a bit incongruous. Like not taking an admiralty as he hates the dragons but not leaving the marines. Like how much more does he need them to do.

I do wanna see him unload on MFs at max power though. Praying to every god we get to see the God Valley battle in detail

I can believe that he’d want to stay in the navy to help common people (since, like, even good pirates like Luffy have caused more harm than good at this point, let alome ones like Kid) but that he can’t really do anything to help like slaves and poo poo without being an anarchist that can’t help the common people anymore. poo poo, thinking about it I’m gonna be super surprised if Dragon isn’t at least partially inspired by how much his dad hates how that part of the world works and wishes he could do something.