Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In theory BB is the strongest counter to Magellan because he's the only person in the world who can stop his poison, and Magellan hasn't been shown to be a great fighter outside of his poisons. Just gotta figure out how to catch him by surprise before he can coat himself in poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Someone suggested I post here about my reactions to the One Piece Anime, I'm watching the Dub, and one thing that I really like is that there's not some mystery about how Luffy is this super powered bad rear end, how he got his hat, what his motivations are. It's all super straight forward, This Dude kicks rear end, had a dad-like figure who loved him, loves doing the right thing, and got super powers from a pineapple. I can get behind that. The whole fight with the Chop Chop dude ruled.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

The whole fight with the Chop Chop dude ruled.
His name is Buggy the Clown! Some respect please!!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Smdh at the disrespect. Next you’re gonna say he has a big nose or giant conk or something.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I will not show respect to a man so owned by his own hand that he calls himself a pirate while keeping himself completely land locked.

I also adore that he has that nose and just says "gently caress it, I'll dress like a clown and dare people to say something."

The dude on the unicycle Ruled. They play the weirdness so straight and it works. I literally only picked this up because a youtuber I knew was getting into it, and I couldn't tell if he was being ironic for a bit or legitimately liked it.

E: And the show didn't forget those 3 pirates who were on the boat that was stolen. I don't know if my standards are just really low from watching nothing but trash most of the time, but I love dedication to a bit.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 14, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
There’s a lot about Buggy that’s great but probably the best part is that the tassels on his clown hat are just chunks of his long luxurious hair.

And yeah, One Piece gets for real at some points as you might have already gleaned from the cute doggie resolutely defending his master’s shop, but it never stops being intentionally dumb and goofy, that’s part of why the author made Luffy a rubber man.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
There was a split second where I was like "Oh they just killed a dog!" like the Lion comes up on the pupper and there's a huge splash of blood on the sign.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
We do indeed love reactions from first timers! You'll probably hear people recommend reading the manga instead (because it's better) but reactions to the anime are also really cool and you do you.

Which channel did you see where they started with One Piece?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Alpharad, he mentioned it in passing and it would come up in random episodes and streams so I eventually tried it.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Always love reactions from first timers, please share!

Man with Hat posted:

You'll probably hear people recommend reading the manga instead (because it's better) but reactions to the anime are also really cool and you do you.
IMHO the anime is a great starting point because the music and voices are fantastic. It's a bit slower and has some padding but you're not really 'missing out' on anything by watching the anime for a long while.

I'd say the best place to switch is after the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, before Thriller Bark. That's the first arc that really loses something in translation, and soon after that comes the anime quality decline as it catches up to the manga and enters snail pace.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

ThingOne posted:

Magellan's fruit is like Sugar's; if they can catch you by surprise with it it's an instant win no matter how strong you are.

I think we can actually look at Sugar's power (and other similar Paramecia powers in the series) in a different context now with the latest couple of chapters describing the limitations of Law's power. We did have arguments before of "well couldn't Sugar / Jewelry Bonney / Trafalgar Law beat Kaido instantly by turning him into a toy / de-aging him into a baby / switching his spirit out with some random hench man?" and before last chapter the best answer we had was yeah they probably could if the situation was perfect to allow them to do that.

With the revelation that being with sufficiently powerful command of Haki can resist the abilities of even very powerful devil fruit users to manipulate their surroundings, it does close basically all of those what if arguments off.

I think it is also pretty reasonable to suggest that Magellan's poison might be completely ineffectual against someone with strong armament Haki.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bisse posted:

Always love reactions from first timers, please share!

IMHO the anime is a great starting point because the music and voices are fantastic. It's a bit slower and has some padding but you're not really 'missing out' on anything by watching the anime for a long while.

I'd say the best place to switch is after the Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, before Thriller Bark. That's the first arc that really loses something in translation, and soon after that comes the anime quality decline as it catches up to the manga and enters snail pace.

People say this about Thriller Bark, but they seem to forget that Thriller Bark anime has Bink's Sake, Franky Songs, probably the best gag in the entire series, and the amazing splash frame when everyone realizes Zombie Luffy's horns are stuck.

Also, as amazing as it was when Nothing Happened. It's even better with music.

I'd say that sticking with the anime through Sabaody gets you the best results. Then after that you can drop off as your tolerance for insane padding is reached.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Starsfan posted:

I think we can actually look at Sugar's power (and other similar Paramecia powers in the series) in a different context now with the latest couple of chapters describing the limitations of Law's power. We did have arguments before of "well couldn't Sugar / Jewelry Bonney / Trafalgar Law beat Kaido instantly by turning him into a toy / de-aging him into a baby / switching his spirit out with some random hench man?" and before last chapter the best answer we had was yeah they probably could if the situation was perfect to allow them to do that.

With the revelation that being with sufficiently powerful command of Haki can resist the abilities of even very powerful devil fruit users to manipulate their surroundings, it does close basically all of those what if arguments off.

I think it is also pretty reasonable to suggest that Magellan's poison might be completely ineffectual against someone with strong armament Haki.

That's not a revelation; we learned back in Punk Hazard that Law's power could be blocked by sufficient Color of Armaments, and there's still no indication that any DF power except Law's works that way.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Silver2195 posted:

That's not a revelation; we learned back in Punk Hazard that Law's power could be blocked by sufficient Color of Armaments, and there's still no indication that any DF power except Law's works that way.

Yeah I overlooked the fact that this idea was raised previously in the series, i'm speculating that we may be able to extend the same logic to other devil fruit powers that share similar reality warping characteristics to Law's?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
People talking about how Magellan took out Blackbeard, are you forgetting that Total Punk took down our main character, the future Pirate King, the first time? A weird power can let you take out a powerful opponent if they tend to just gently caress around like a jackass most of the time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's poison. These are still living beings that eat and breathe, they can die to poison. It's as simple as that folks

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Maybe Magellan really IS the strongest being in the world but he's just not interested in pirate treasure or boats.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Magellan's whole thing was that he only wanted to be a jailer in Impel Down. They'd offered him promotions and stuff, but dude just wants to be the guy in charge of torturing people to death.

In all of One Piece are we really still sitting at just 2.5 functioning and reasonable governmental bodies in the whole drat world? Vivi's family, the Drum Democracy, and the half valued Neptune clan?

I guess maybe the new Dressrosa might count for another half?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Magellan's whole thing was that he only wanted to be a jailer in Impel Down. They'd offered him promotions and stuff, but dude just wants to be the guy in charge of torturing people to death.

In all of One Piece are we really still sitting at just 2.5 functioning and reasonable governmental bodies in the whole drat world? Vivi's family, the Drum Democracy, and the half valued Neptune clan?

Water 7?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Gyges posted:

Why would you say that. They're just the only governments that oda has shown us pretty much

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

People say this about Thriller Bark, but they seem to forget that Thriller Bark anime has Bink's Sake, Franky Songs, probably the best gag in the entire series, and the amazing splash frame when everyone realizes Zombie Luffy's horns are stuck.

Also, as amazing as it was when Nothing Happened. It's even better with music.

I'd say that sticking with the anime through Sabaody gets you the best results. Then after that you can drop off as your tolerance for insane padding is reached.

I mean people say different things and it's up to the OP to decide what's right for them. IMO the pacing is painful in east blue while watching one pace but I'm well aware I'm an exception to the rule. Just wanted to let them know that if/when the anime gets bad, the manga doesn't.

Plus the first episode switches things around making it worse than the first chapter so that's where the anime starts going wrong tbh.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Terror Sweat posted:

It's poison. These are still living beings that eat and breathe, they can die to poison. It's as simple as that folks

Except Luffy now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Electric Phantasm posted:

Except Luffy now.

Luffy is only immune to some kinds of poison. See: him almost dying due to a poisonous fish on the way to whole cake island.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yeah, Mayor Iceberg counts.

Terror Sweat posted:

Why would you say that. They're just the only governments that oda has shown us pretty much

Nah, we see the government of lots of places. If the place isn't run by the Marines, who suck, then they're pretty much run by a very terrible local nobility of some sort. Luffy's home island is poo poo, Law's home island is super poo poo, Sky Islands suck, massive bridge countries suck, Wano sucks, everywhere else in the New World is pretty much under the jurisdiction of an Emperor, which sucks, etc. We've even had meetings of various nobles where pretty much everyone sucks or would at least be a terrible ruler. I mean, imagine in a few years when Dressrosa is ruled by Queen Rebecca. Poor sods.

Nami's island grouping may be OK now, Usopp's too, but they don't even seem to have actual governments. Which seems like being small enough to have some sort of anarchic-communal situation is the best hope for most people, followed by lucking into having one of the few decent marines stationed as your overlord. Kings can be overthrown and not every Republic gets a Water Buffalo for president.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
listen. it's not poison, it's venom

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Electric Phantasm posted:

Except Luffy now.

i really wonder if all this buildup around this is working towards something, along with luffys "decreased lifespan" or if that was just a writer copout to make sure that luffy surviving basically death didnt feel like a total consequence-free piece of plot armor.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Gyges posted:

In all of One Piece are we really still sitting at just 2.5 functioning and reasonable governmental bodies in the whole drat world?

bub the place I live in in real life doesn't even have a functioning reasonable government

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Wano is a couple hours away from having a brand new administration in place. Even if it’s led by a child, it’ll have to be an improvement.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The Blackbeard v Magellan Encounter is one of the bigger headscratchers in the Power Level chat. You'd think the guy who stomped Ace and is a threat to Shanks would just way outclass Magellan regardless of Magellan's fruit (doubly so with the Darkness Fruit). It's not like Magellan was way out of Luffy's tier physically. Like I know he was basically the strongest person there but not Emperor strong.

i had always figured magellan was around the admirals tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

anime was right posted:

i really wonder if all this buildup around this is working towards something, along with luffys "decreased lifespan" or if that was just a writer copout to make sure that luffy surviving basically death didnt feel like a total consequence-free piece of plot armor.

He's going to get the illness Roger had but chopper will cure it

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

To give a little credit to Magellan, I think the dude wasn't the horrific monster you'd expect from how he looks. Look at how he handled Shiriyu slaughtering inmates indiscriminately. He put him in a cell with a death sentence because of how much of a creep he was being, and clearly wasn't someone who just liked murdering people for fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThingOne posted:

With what we've learned about haki recently I'm starting to think that the reason the WG can't seem to field anyone capable of beating an Emperor 1v1 is because anyone willing to join the navy and put up with the World Nobles' bullshit lacks the "gently caress you, fight me" attitude necessary to reach the top in the first place.

Magellan's fruit is like Sugar's; if they can catch you by surprise with it it's an instant win no matter how strong you are.

Not really. It's just an extremely powerful physical attack that's highly effective against living beings. Surviving long enough to counterattack through sheer brute durability is completely possible, and I can genuinely believe that the real powerhouses like Kaido could put up a fair fight even if Magellan got the drop on them (although they'd likely have their day completely ruined even if they defeated him or drove him off).

Sugar's ability is a whole different level of busted - it's not even an attack, it doesn't have to break through any natural defences, it's just 'sorry, you're a toy now'.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

poison is chaos dmg

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Lpzie posted:

poison is chaos dmg

Poison is infect damage, and everyone knows you die after ten infect counters. :colbert:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bisse posted:

In theory BB is the strongest counter to Magellan because he's the only person in the world who can stop his poison, and Magellan hasn't been shown to be a great fighter outside of his poisons. Just gotta figure out how to catch him by surprise before he can coat himself in poison.

the hard counter is brook because you can't poison a skeleton

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

it would feel pretty bizarre to me if blackbeard has a notable "unprepared" moment, if only cuz it really doesn't sit well with what we know of him so far. he's been a new world pirate for decades, has been strong enough to wound shanks, and now has been an emperor for two years. the discord in the characterization if he somehow thinks his fruits enough to conquer the world or whatever would be pretty stark, he is very involved in a world where he knows that isn't the case

Whitebeard directly calls Blackbeard out on his main weaknesses being his overconfidence and carelessness during the Marineford Arc, so again I wouldn't be surprised if Blackbeard thinks slamming down Devil Fruits is like hitting an insta-win button that can power through any hurdles he might encounter, plus the whole leaving things to fate and chance he's into doing. I think Haki will prove to be Blackbeard's Achilles' heel due to his over-reliance on Devil Fruit abilities (which also reminds me of Film Z with Z calling out Kizaru for taking his Devil Fruit abilities for granted) which is ironic considering he tries to exploit others like Ace for doing exactly that.

Bisse posted:

I think Conqueror's Haki is the strongest counter since you can just straight-up attack others without actually touching them which Magellan needs for his poison to work even with his Awakened powers.

Funky Valentine posted:

Teach's entire pirate career up until he became a Warlord was built on people continually underestimating him and thinking him beneath notice.

If anything Shanks is the only person to consistently understand that Teach a dangerous threat.

Now that I think about it, in a weird way this is also like a Bizarro Luffy foil, but for different reasons.

LostRook posted:

So you're saying instead of some huge climatic battle between Luffy and Blackbeard, Luffy should just recruit Magellan as his newest nakama.

Magellan definitely poops, so he's basically a shoe-in.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 15, 2021

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Gyges posted:

We've even had meetings of various nobles where pretty much everyone sucks or would at least be a terrible ruler. I mean, imagine in a few years when Dressrosa is ruled by Queen Rebecca. Poor sods.

Rebecca is just at the noble meeting as Princess Violet's attendant! Aunt Violet is the actual heir. She seems like she has her poo poo together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Plutonis posted:

the hard counter is brook because you can't poison a skeleton

Given that Brook is vulnerable to pretty much anything that affects a normal person cause it's a mental thing, I think he would die to the poisons like anyone else.

Plus the whole Magellen's greater poisons are just acids at certain points.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Yeah he was kind of "poisoning" stone to the point where it deteriorated.

tbp posted:

i had always figured magellan was around the admirals tbh

If he was Admiral level people couldn't elude him. Maybe he's mastered his fruit to a high level and that makes him dangerous in and of itself but the admirals wouldn't need their fruits to take out Impel Down era Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Plus the poison fruit's biggest weakness being limited range is not really a factor when you oversee a prison where people are heavily restrained and have to escape through small chokepoints.

When fighting in an open field, Magellan drops like 2 tiers.