Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Was Shanks an Emperor when he lost the arm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Len posted:

Was Shanks an Emperor when he lost the arm?

No. Shanks was recognized as an Emperor four years before Luffy started his voyage, 6 Years after he gave Luffy his hat.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No. Shanks was recognized as an Emperor four years before Luffy started his voyage, 6 Years after he gave Luffy his hat.

When was this stated? I remember Whitebeard saying that everyone was curious as to why he came back from the east blue, missing and arm, which implies he was a big enough deal back then that Whitebeard noticed.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Whitebeard personally knew him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just wrapped up Whole Cake Island. That was a lot to take in as a whole. Big Mom is an absolute monster

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Big Mom is one of my fave One Piece villains

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elblanco posted:

When was this stated? I remember Whitebeard saying that everyone was curious as to why he came back from the east blue, missing and arm, which implies he was a big enough deal back then that Whitebeard noticed.

In ch 957 "Ultimate" when we got the bounties, it was stated that shanks was recognized as a yonko 6 years ago (so 4 years before the story starts, 6 years after shanks lost his arm and gave luffy his hat)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
just reread the Ohara flashback and I'm betting the name of the ancient kingdom was the straw hat kingdom.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm76zS-K6Pk

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This is the first time I've seen this. I'm feeling some serious Nightmare Before Christmas vibes from that song, which I like very much.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ETWLWuPyQ

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Elblanco posted:

He was on Roger's crew as a young Kid, Whitebeard being a fatherly type of person would have noticed and cared about him, 100% would have made sure Roger was taking care of Shanks right. So Whitebeard would be well aware of Shanks

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
Do you think Whitebeard was sad he never got the moniker 'Big Dad'?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

man

what am i going to read once i'm caught up?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

you can read a new chapter of one piece once a week unless it is a break week, in which case you can read the funny edit of pudding saying "oda... is taking a break !!" and sanji devastated out in the rain

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Speaking of which, there's no new chapter this week, is there?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's Golden Week so no

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The World Inferno posted:

I feel like it's almost inevitable we'll get a flashback where Dragon has saved Luffy a handful of times while keeping his distance. & that when we do finally meet him he drops the tough guy act and turns out to be just as big a goof as the rest of his family.

Tragic backstory pending.

Theres no way Dragon isnt incredibly goofy, hes probably just embarassed of his real personality or something. Theres definitely going to be a scene similar to the one in Spaceballs where they walk in on Dark Helmet playing with dolls.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Julias posted:

In ch 957 "Ultimate" when we got the bounties, it was stated that shanks was recognized as a yonko 6 years ago (so 4 years before the story starts, 6 years after shanks lost his arm and gave luffy his hat)

Ah, this does help fill in the "How'd he lose his arm that easily" issue that I've thought about sometimes, given how insanely strong we've seen One Piece characters be, and how the Yonko are on a whole different level themselves. But a lot of powering up can happen over 6 years, so as long as Shanks was a ways away from Yonko-status back then I think it all adds up just fine.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

jassa posted:

Speaking of which, there's no new chapter this week, is there?

Officially it won't come out until May 9th due to golden week, but raw leaks and a fantranslation will likely come out much earlier, possibly even tomorrow, as we got the usual spoiler leaks a couple of days ago.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I hope Ivankov and the revolutionary army show up soon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
reading early wano reminded me of the 2nd best joke in one piece. luffy with the sword saying he knows how to use one then punching someone while holding it

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

speaking of the best jokes in one piece, really hope we get to see docking again

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

NowonSA posted:

Ah, this does help fill in the "How'd he lose his arm that easily" issue that I've thought about sometimes, given how insanely strong we've seen One Piece characters be, and how the Yonko are on a whole different level themselves. But a lot of powering up can happen over 6 years, so as long as Shanks was a ways away from Yonko-status back then I think it all adds up just fine.

Thinking on it, most characters we've seen become real badasses trained for years or had talent from youth or both, though obviously we've seen many people go from kinda badass to really badass.

Coby is probably the character with the most meteoric rise, from total nerd loser to King poo poo of gently caress mountain in less than 3 years.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Theres no way Dragon isnt incredibly goofy, hes probably just embarassed of his real personality or something. Theres definitely going to be a scene similar to the one in Spaceballs where they walk in on Dark Helmet playing with dolls.

He should be still a mysterious badass but with some silly gimmick like Vergo's food clinging on his face

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JahRoo posted:

speaking of the best jokes in one piece, really hope we get to see docking again

True Pirate Docking with Jimbei as the legs, Luffy and Brook as the arms, Usopp as the back cannon, and of course Brain Point Chopper at the helm.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

JahRoo posted:

Didn't Usopp and Chopper mention docking recently when the Franky tank they were in suddenly grew legs when one of the Numbers attacked them?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I figure True Pirate Docking will be saved for the big finale. Robin WILL participate this time.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
There's the Franky Shogun already but there's no way the Thousand Sunny won't transform into a giant mech at some point. Oda loves mechs and Franky won't let him or us down!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there is 100% unmentioned features of the Thousand Sunny. Franky learned a lot of things from Vega Punk's lab and I feel like we've only scratched the surface. plz let the thousand sunny be a mega buster he can attach

General Franky has shown up a couple times but I'm not sure there's been a full-on kaiju fight yet

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

Didn't Usopp and Chopper mention docking recently when the Franky tank they were in suddenly grew legs when one of the Numbers attacked them?

The tank they were in ejected them to build battle Franky who I think right before said “it’s time for docking” and they got stars in their eyes

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Julias posted:

Officially it won't come out until May 9th due to golden week, but raw leaks and a fantranslation will likely come out much earlier, possibly even tomorrow, as we got the usual spoiler leaks a couple of days ago.

Good to know - thanks!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Thinking on it, most characters we've seen become real badasses trained for years or had talent from youth or both, though obviously we've seen many people go from kinda badass to really badass.

Coby is probably the character with the most meteoric rise, from total nerd loser to King poo poo of gently caress mountain in less than 3 years.

Alvidia is another big one. Went from just another no-name pirate captain to the hypercompetent top lieutenant of one of the Seven Warlords of the Sea.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Len posted:

man

what am i going to read once i'm caught up?
HunterxHunter, My Hero Academia, maybe even Dragon Ball?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Jujutsu Kaisen seems like a pretty good choice right now.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

jassa posted:

Good to know - thanks!

Apparently it won't be coming out so soon, I was mistaken about that part.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

i'm only a few chapters into wano but it seems like an odd place

not as odd as whole cake island

but luffy rolls up and immediately gets attacked by a samurai ape

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RealFoxy posted:

HunterxHunter, My Hero Academia, maybe even Dragon Ball?

Don't wish Hunter x Hunter on someone that can't even wait a week for a new chapter, you monster.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh you can just watch the anime and get a perfect ending. Aside from Hisoka vs Chrollo but I never really got the hype for that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Don't wish Hunter x Hunter on someone that can't even wait a week for a new chapter, you monster.

Technically you don’t really need the rest of the manga, the anime had a perfectly serviceable ending to the series

Though if the artist is having so many health problems as of late maybe he should either hire an assistant or let his wife handle it (he is married to the creator of Sailor Moon after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 30, 2021