Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

you have to remember, jump/manga pubs get instant feedback from the reader surveys and fanmail that they get every week. it would not surprise me if odas editor got a huge deluge of pro law fanmail and that in conjunction with the surveys pushing OP into the top spot basically every week from that point through to partway into fishman island and that influenced a few things. after all, anyone could have come helped bail luffy out at marineford, but by that point law was so popular that it almost had to end up being him. how does law get there in a kind of asspull way? uhh his ship is a submarine. first arc back from the timeskip, makes sense to focus on the straw hats. second one back? you better believe its Law Time, and the dude has been with us basically ever since.
Oh yeah, for sure. As soon as him showing up at Marineford is probably a result of his popularity. But him showing up at the auction house was basically his introduction, and already marked him out as somewhat special compared to the other supernova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I’d guess he’s about equal right now. Fresh post time skip Zoro wouldn’t stand a chance.

It’s hard to say how strong Mihawk is since we’ve never seen him go all out. His dialogue during Marineford makes it clear he considers himself weaker than Whitebeard at least, though he probably didn’t realize how much Whitebeard’s strength had declined from age/illness. Either way he is probably the strongest Shichibukai

Remember that Mihawk is the World's Strongest Swordsman. So every time we see a swordsman doing some crazy poo poo, it carries the implication that he can do that, and he can do it better. From that perspective, Wano has been one long hype train for our boy Dracule.

This also means that no matter how strong Zoro gets, he'll still have room to improve until he completes his final exam and defeats Mihawk. Every single time we see him have any kind of difficulty against another swordsman, that's a sign that he's not there yet.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Oda introducing a cool character that then becomes a part of his cool story and the internet declaring that they made it happen by liking him so much has real This kinda energy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think it mainly comes from people saying other fans liked him so much. Not them though.

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
Bestest news: No break next week.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Law seems like the kind of character that Oda introduced on a whim and then decided that his fruit power was FUN and he needed him to stick around so he could draw ridiculous fights that had no real rules at all...moreso than usual.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

bobjr posted:

Mihawk doesn’t seem like the type to go out and cause enough trouble to get a super high bounty, unless he did something to get his sword.

To be fair, Oda has made estimates for characters without standing bounties before.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Mihawks bounty is 4 berries because every time they try to print bounty posters he hears it and swings his sword and cuts aaaaaaall the zeroes off

And I don't know about you but I'm not gonna gently caress with that guy for 4/ \berries.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
zoro absolutely did not beat mihawk over the timeskip guys come on lol

it would completely defeat the journey toward his dream which is literally represented by beating mihawk

besides i know power is very lateral in one piece but mihawk was pulling off admiral/yonko-lite feats during marineford like with the frozen tsunami and used to tango with shanks in his prime

dude is absolutely more powerful than zoro

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Maybe Luffy is already stronger than Shanks too, you ever think of that!!

Power level discussions just bring out dumb ideas and show that some have an inability to trust the comic when it depicts a character we haven't really seen fight as super cool and powerful.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Shanks and Luffy wouldn't fight, they would have a party-off. It's why they have a party at the end of each arc, it's actually training.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobjr posted:

Mihawk doesn’t seem like the type to go out and cause enough trouble to get a super high bounty, unless he did something to get his sword.

He's been active for at least as long as Shanks, is the acknowledge greatest swordman in the world, and follows armadas to entirely different seas just to completely wreck their poo poo for disturbing his nap.

Dude definitely had a decently high bounty before it was frozen. If you're strong you either have a bounty or work for the WG.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Whatever the reason and whenever it happened, I'm so glad Law became a more regular character because there are few things as wonderful in life as seeing him trying his best not to go :cripes: when Luffy just cheerfully ignores all his careful strategies and planning. The "I've made a huge mistake...." look on his face after he initially teams up with Luffy on Punk Hazard is just incredible.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Veskit posted:

The whole she was pregnant for 20 months or whatever was a bit of an asspull though now in hindsight

Well it does make sense that it killed her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
On the Warlords. Mihawk was not stated as being a member until after when Arlong park was starting. Which was when Jimbei was first mentioned.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i forgot about chopper interrupting brook's skull joke lol, that loving killed me

the gags are on complete overdrive in these opening fishman island chapters, you can tell how much he missed having proper access to the crew for so long

too bad that extends to sanji

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Jerusalem posted:

Whatever the reason and whenever it happened, I'm so glad Law became a more regular character because there are few things as wonderful in life as seeing him trying his best not to go :cripes: when Luffy just cheerfully ignores all his careful strategies and planning. The "I've made a huge mistake...." look on his face after he initially teams up with Luffy on Punk Hazard is just incredible.

I think there's three big things that really make his character work.

A) He manages to hit that dark, aloof, cynical style without ever going full Sasuke. You never want to go full Sasuke. Maybe full Vegeta but that's a tough line to walk.

B) He's a perfect straight-man for all the Straw Hats crazy antics, like that bit you mentioned or the part where he catches himself ordering lunch on the Sunny on the way to Dressrosa.

C) He's still useful. Even this late in the game they still keep finding uses for him where he feels like part of the team instead of a useless hanger-on. He manages to feel like a valuable ally even while remaining technically separate from the rest of the group.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

his ridiculous fruit aside, law is maybe my favorite one piece character.

serious enough to be mortified at having a paralyzed chopper strapped to his head, but not so serious that he doesn’t geek out about ninjas like everyone else

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

bobjr posted:

Supposedly he was already famous before Roger's execution, and the fact that he was in the crowd along with Croco-boy, Moria, and Doflamingo suggests that he turned to piracy with them not long after.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

double negative posted:

serious enough to be mortified at having a paralyzed chopper strapped to his head, but not so serious that he doesn’t geek out about ninjas like everyone else

Chopper hat is legit one of the funniest scenes in One Piece for me.

Chopper's so loving nonchalant, everyone else is losing their poo poo or politely stifling their laughs, and Law's just aghast at the realization that this is his life now.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

something interesting about the shichibukai is that we have years for when everyone joined, except one: kuma. the only thing we really know is that the others had all joined around 15-7 years before the start of the series, and that ace was offered to join but declined around 4 years before the start of the manga. so whatever happened that forced kuma into the situation is only, at most, 6 years removed from the present day of the story, and that the crazy modifications/duping of the pika pika no mi and complete robot construction "only" took vegapunk about 4 years.

something else that i feel like people just gloss over, while talking about kuma: hes proof positive that whatever vegapunk was up to on punk hazard ended up working. if there was only one pacifista with the pika pika powers, then you could chalk that up as an experiment, but he has a line of them that he's produced identically. to me this indicates that hes refined his ability to make artificial fruit. he had a long 2 years afterwards, as well. who knows what hes been copying from whom, or what hes put together!!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Maybe Vegapunk was successful in copying Paramecia and/or Logia fruits but not Zoans?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

If Vegapunk's been copying the pika pika no mi then his copies are still imperfect since we've never seen a pacifista go full logia. That said, the ability to mass-produce a laser fruit is still pretty useful.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThingOne posted:

If Vegapunk's been copying the pika pika no mi then his copies are still imperfect since we've never seen a pacifista go full logia. That said, the ability to mass-produce a laser fruit is still pretty useful.

I like to imagine that kizaru is so slow bc they keep drawing his blood to use in pacifistas bc its basically liquid lasers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

double negative posted:

his ridiculous fruit aside, law is maybe my favorite one piece character.

Law being angry at Luffy about teleporting the samurai to safety because he was about to do it but then Luffy told him to do it and he doesn't want people to think he did it because Luffy ordered him to :allears:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paper Lion posted:

something interesting about the shichibukai is that we have years for when everyone joined, except one: kuma. the only thing we really know is that the others had all joined around 15-7 years before the start of the series, and that ace was offered to join but declined around 4 years before the start of the manga. so whatever happened that forced kuma into the situation is only, at most, 6 years removed from the present day of the story, and that the crazy modifications/duping of the pika pika no mi and complete robot construction "only" took vegapunk about 4 years.

something else that i feel like people just gloss over, while talking about kuma: hes proof positive that whatever vegapunk was up to on punk hazard ended up working. if there was only one pacifista with the pika pika powers, then you could chalk that up as an experiment, but he has a line of them that he's produced identically. to me this indicates that hes refined his ability to make artificial fruit. he had a long 2 years afterwards, as well. who knows what hes been copying from whom, or what hes put together!!!

Idk, I feel like being saying Vegapunk can make cyborgs with lasers because of an artificial copy of the Glint Glint fruit is synonymous with saying Franky can breathe fire because he has a copy of the Burn Burn somewhere inside of him. Like, it’s not out of the question that he made a weapon to shoot beams of light after seeing Kizaru doing his thing, but that doesn’t mean it was directly involved. And really, going by Franky making himself into a custom Pacifista by using old designs Vegapunk made in his youth, it seems slightly questionable that he didn’t come up with laser beam attacks as a kid and just refined them later to be more efficient (spammable), at least imho.

Unless I missed something that explicitly states the Glint Glint was involved in Vegapunk’s lasers. :v:

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Last Celebration posted:

Unless I missed something that explicitly states the Glint Glint was involved in Vegapunk’s lasers. :v:

Someone sees it once and says "That's Kizaru's laser!" which I also completely assumed means Vegapunk has seen the laser and decided to copy it, not that he's extracted and made copies of the fruit.

That would first of all mean that they should teleport around more which they don't and also Franky would have to know how to do it since he's built a laser too. Also stated to be Vegapunk's laser by Queen, i.e the same as what's in the pacifistas

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ha!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been seeing a lot of discourse in other parts of the One Piece fandom recently over whether Act 3 has been disappointing in terms of stakes and consequences for the Straw Hats in this battle. I've mentioned it before, but I have a bit of a problem with knee-jerk reactions to fakeout deaths being an awful part of Oda's writing.

With Kin'emon specifically, I know its a pretty common sentiment right now that it would be better if he had 100% died for real then and there for the sake of maintaining dramatic stakes. And to those people, I have 2 questions. Do you believe the alliance should ultimately be successful against Kaido in liberating Wano? And do you want some sort of post-arc celebration in the same vein as Alabasta, Enies Lobby, Dressrosa etc? Because personally, I cannot envision Luffy celebrating victory in any real capacity over the corpse of Kin'emon, or anyone else that close to him.

Maybe that sentiment isnt common here, but I just want to know what people think about major deaths happening in an arc where the Straw Hats are supposed to be ultimately successful. The only example of this I can think of is the Going Merry being destroyed at the end of Enies Lobby, but that's an entirely different beast

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I wish the scabbards weren't weeping berserkers with a death wish and had a vision for what they wanted Wano to be and were fighting for that instead. Usopp even brings this up a few chapters back. Killing them off wouldn't do anything, they all seem to be looking for somewhere to die anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 26, 2022

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I hope ace yasuie and oden come back to life at the end of the arc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's fine that nobody died, and honestly they weren't even really "fakeout" deaths the way Pell's was. Really only Ashura's sacrifice would be the closest to that if they bring him back, but post timeskip Oda seems more willing to let these heroic sacrifices stick (like with Pedro). The Straw Hats are obviously going to win all their fights because they are the protagonists of a shonen manga. Like 99% of all stories have the good guys wins overwhelmingly anyway, usually with only minimal losses/sacrifices, but it's even sillier to complain about it in a kids action manga where it's effectively the entire point. It's like getting mad the Avengers all constantly win and never stay dead in the comics (the movies are occasionally a different story due to contracts and aging humans, but even then nobody thinks Spider-Man is going to die in his first movie or whatever).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think the main problem here is that Oda has set up Kaido and Big Mom's crews and Kaido's stranglehold over Wano as something nearly insurmountable. The buildup to the raid has a very real feeling of dread in the face of the seemingly impossible odds of them winning.

But what Oda wants to portray in Onigashima isn't a hard fought battle just getting by through serious casualties. He wants to portray a complete and total victory for the Straw Hats and the alliance despite the impossible odds. And at this stage, that's causing a lot of dissonance. It's hard to reconcile those two things in a satisfying way, especially right in the middle of it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pell's not-death was literally the only one that bugged me, and it's just been a fun joke that Nobody Dies in One Piece ever since. It just makes it more special and interesting when someone actually does die, like Ace.

It helps keep the tone light, this isn't Game of Thrones where we're on the edge of our seat wondering who will live and who will die. Everyone will live, by default. What you're reading to see is how it happens, and how these characters bounce off each other. Like, when Orochi got his head chopped off and then showed up alive a dozen chapters later, I wasn't angry about it, that would be silly. He has seven more heads, obviously he's not gonna die that easily!

As for the samurai, killing them off would be boring. Let them stick around and see the story to the end, it's better than getting some cheap pathos.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I think it's a bit early to say that there won't be any further sacrifices/losses/tragedies; so far Kaido's underlings have mostly lost their one on one fights and you have Tama turning the tide in raw numbers greatly, but both he and Big Mom are still up. I also don't think this is substantially different than the odds in Enies Lobby or Impel Down or Dressrosa where it's presented as "nobody has ever won/escaped!" and yet literally everyone survived and won overwhelmingly.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
So, TotallyNotMark managed to secure a victory of sorts against Toei: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZM_Jxj_Y5c

tl;dr Toei didn't play by Youtube's rules and didn't provide proper justification when challenged, so Youtube ultimately ended up blocking the videos in Japan but letting Mark put them back up for other regions.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
As a general rule, I think it's kind of silly how often people seem to cling to the idea that death is the only kind of stakes a story can have. In every piece of media, it seems, there's a segment of people braying for mass bloodshed to "show things are serious" and getting irritated at the author when that doesn't happen. I think writers fall into this trap too, sprinkling in death for cheap drama. It feels to me that people are maybe not engaging with the story enough; the character's investment in what is happening and the stakes of the events should be enough for the reader.

Fake outs are a little different, since it's annoying to be basically lied to like that by the author, who is getting the drama out of the death while getting to keep all his toys. But to be honest, Pell is probably the only one that annoyed me too. With maybe two exceptions the others have either been situations where someone inexplicitly lives through some real poo poo, which is fine for one piece and actual deaths that did stick.

The two exceptions I recall are Bellamy, who was only implied to have died and I liked how that played out, and Kine'mon which was set up for a pretty good joke, which will forgive a lot.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My issue with Law is that it feels to me like his story reached its climax on Dressrossa. His flashback didn't feel like it motivated him to do anything other than get revenge on Doflamingo, and he's done that now. Does he really want to be the Pirate King? Why? What's he still doing in the story? I know he was introduced as an ambitious schemer who had a plan to take down Kaido, and it's more or less working out, but on Dressrossa he admitted that was just a front and he really wanted to get Kaido to kill Doflamingo. And now he's just kind of tagging along with his own plan now that Luffy's making it happen despite Law not really believing in it originally.

Between Law and Kidd I actually feel Kidd's ambition more, in part because we haven't gotten much of a backstory. I can just accept him as ambitious, especially when supported by Killer's determination in that great Hawkins fight.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
yeah I really hope kid sticks around as a contender for pirate king

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Eiba posted:

My issue with Law is that it feels to me like his story reached its climax on Dressrossa. His flashback didn't feel like it motivated him to do anything other than get revenge on Doflamingo, and he's done that now. Does he really want to be the Pirate King? Why? What's he still doing in the story? I know he was introduced as an ambitious schemer who had a plan to take down Kaido, and it's more or less working out, but on Dressrossa he admitted that was just a front and he really wanted to get Kaido to kill Doflamingo. And now he's just kind of tagging along with his own plan now that Luffy's making it happen despite Law not really believing in it originally.

Between Law and Kidd I actually feel Kidd's ambition more, in part because we haven't gotten much of a backstory. I can just accept him as ambitious, especially when supported by Killer's determination in that great Hawkins fight.

oda definitely is giving him a new thing which is he just wants to learn about history. robin wants to do this too but i think having law being a driving active force makes more sense since robin's goal is to make luffy pirate king first and history second.