Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Professorjuggalo posted:

Spoilers are appearing for next chapter

Yamato looks exactly like make up’d big mom and there’s a break next chapter Marco revealed weevil and Blackbeard teamed up

If you say so. There's nothing at Mangahelpers, which is where I usually look for spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

How would there be spoilers when the chapter is still a week away?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, Gan Fall was a decent sort as gods went.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

TheLoneStar posted:

How would there be spoilers when the chapter is still a week away?

The spoilers have been coming out Sunday-Monday recently, and this edition of SJ came out a couple of days early, so it's possible that the process where raws reach peoples hands speeded up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, Gan Fall was a decent sort as gods went.

That's because "god" was the traditional title of Skypeia's ruler; he didn't actually consider himself a god.

I wonder if we'll ever find out why the title exists. My pet theory, which I think I've mentioned in this thread before, is that Poseidon, Pluton, and Uranus were the original assholes with god complexes; the original Uranus was a winged-person inventor-king who named his superweapon after himself, and his sky-based kingdom fought a multi-sided war against Poseidon's sea-based kingdom, the human Pluton's land-based kingdom, and the original D's anti-tyrannical-god movement. Though I'm actually starting to think that this theory doesn't actually quite fit; what we've seen of the Poneglyphs implies that Shandora, Fishman Island, Wano, and Laugh Tale were all on the same side (against the founders of the World Government?). And the dramatic scene with the Oharan scholar being killed just before saying the name of a particular kingdom implies that the aspects of the Void Century's history the World Government really hates revolve around one kingdom, not a bunch of different factions.

Then again, the existence of a Poneglyph on Arabasta complicates things, since it was already ruled by the Nefertiti family at the time the World Government was founded (and they were apparently more attached to the country they ruled than the other WG founders, so they probably hadn't just conquered it yesterday). And Doflamingo's remark about the Ds opposing "whatever is considered God in every era" implies that the Ds originally opposed something distinct from the World Nobles. And it feels strange that the Ds would be on the same side as one world-spanning empire, and only opposed to the current world-spanning empire; I feel like the Will of D ought to involve an abstract principle of freedom or something like that, and not just opposition to Imu specifically.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's possible that the World Government is actually a third faction that came to power by swooping in after the two main factions beat each other down in the conflict of the Void Century. It could even be a faction that was made up of portions of the other two factions, perhaps even being the "good" guys at the time who were against destroying everything by continuing the war.

Then over time they became corrupted by power and became the worthless sons of bitches that they are now. Im possibly being the last survivor of the original ancient kingdom who waited to swoop in and seize power later. The government then becoming just as tyrannical as before, but now using the lessons of past events to ruthlessly cut down possible opposition before it can form.

Which is why Im chooses people to kill like Shirahoshi, Vivi, Blackbeard or Luffy. People highly likely to effectively oppose the World Government's machinations. The fact that those four were the focus of his little meeting while being tied to both the Superweapons and the Will of D shows that Im does have some sort of knowledge of ancient history, or at least some sensitivity to those tied to it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Considering the Nefertari family are one of the 20 original founding kingdoms but chose to stay behind I’d say yeah the Celestial Dragons likely ended up this way from centuries of inbreeding and building belief in their own absolute superiority and power.

They probably weren’t all great people, but they definitely weren’t the modern monsters they’ve become. I imagine that if they’d stayed like the Nefertari they might have ended up just as invested and caring about their people, of course I can also imagine them becoming tyrants too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

Considering the Nefertari family are one of the 20 original founding kingdoms but chose to stay behind I’d say yeah the Celestial Dragons likely ended up this way from centuries of inbreeding and building belief in their own absolute superiority and power.

They probably weren’t all great people, but they definitely weren’t the modern monsters they’ve become. I imagine that if they’d stayed like the Nefertari they might have ended up just as invested and caring about their people, of course I can also imagine them becoming tyrants too.

That's my assumption too, although it's worth considering the possibility that the Nefertari were originally bad guys, or at least that their reasons for remaining in Arabasta weren't entirely benevolent. I vaguely remember Robin saying that there was something or other that Cobra honestly didn't know, but that one of his ancestors had probably deliberately concealed. But I can't remember the details, and it's possible that the Nefertari were just trying to prevent the revival of Pluton or something like that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It wouldn't surprise me if Pluton is actually in Alabasta and either Vivi's dad knows about it or the exact knowledge just failed to be passed on over time. Remember that he talked to Robin about how the poneglyph in the royal tomb totally was about Pluton and he know she was just spinning poo poo to Crocodile.

There's definitely more of a reason that they're the only founding nobles to not gently caress off to the land of sniffing their own farts than simply they're actually cool rulers.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Spoilers are out now by the way.

- Yamato is a woman
- Yamato explains that she witnessed the hour of legend on the day of Oden execution and she became Oden's fan.
- Then she went to Kuri and she managed to find Oden's journal. No one knows about this journal, not even her father.
- Oden journal became her "Bible".
- She said that there is some very important things written in the journal, and that someone has to inherit Oden's will.
- She chose to live as a man to follow Oden, but she's actually Kaido's daughter.
- Yamato: "Please let me fight along with you. You're really strong. You remind me of Ace!"
- Next week is break

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RatHat posted:

Spoilers are out now by the way.

- Yamato is a woman
- Yamato explains that she witnessed the hour of legend on the day of Oden execution and she became Oden's fan.
- Then she went to Kuri and she managed to find Oden's journal. No one knows about this journal, not even her father.
- Oden journal became her "Bible".
- She said that there is some very important things written in the journal, and that someone has to inherit Oden's will.
- She chose to live as a man to follow Oden, but she's actually Kaido's daughter.
- Yamato: "Please let me fight along with you. You're really strong. You remind me of Ace!"
- Next week is break

Kaido's child is actually trans? That's neat

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RealFoxy posted:

Kaido's child is actually trans? That's neat

I think the entire world has been surprisingly chill about the trans characters that have shown up. It's like, Sanji and that one guy who tried to kill Ivankov in Impel Down, who had an issue.

Too bad they're all pretty lovely about gay guys.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lmao Robin looks so much into her disguise, really enjoying herself

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

God Ussop help you if you misgender Kaido's son

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Aw boo, gotta wait another week till I get to read those spoiler tags :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

I think the entire world has been surprisingly chill about the trans characters that have shown up. It's like, Sanji and that one guy who tried to kill Ivankov in Impel Down, who had an issue.

Too bad they're all pretty lovely about gay guys.

There's a hint of a theme of the freedom of piracy and the anti government revolutionaries and the rejection of assigned gender and embracing your true self in the face of oppression with Ivankov's Newkama in Impel Down, but Oda doesn't really explore it much.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i made up my spoilers in my head to give all you spoiler people the same enjoyment i get when i read a new chapter

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://readjump.com/mangas/one-piece/984

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
How come no one in the spoilers mentioned the best part of the chapter before?

Nekomamushi has a gun hand now

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Just inject this straight in my veins.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Good chapter

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I loving died at Jimbei and Robin

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

junan_paalla posted:

Good chapter

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yamato: Dad I wanna be treated as a man...
Kaido: Okay
Yamato:.. also be called Oden!
Kaido: "beats the poo poo out you"

Dunno if Kaido is a good father or not

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

IceBorg posted:

Yamato: Dad I wanna be treated as a man...
Kaido: Okay
Yamato:.. also be called Oden!
Kaido: "beats the poo poo out you"

Dunno if Kaido is a good father or not

Even a villain as dastardly as Kaido says TRANS RIGHTS.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

There's a hint of a theme of the freedom of piracy and the anti government revolutionaries and the rejection of assigned gender and embracing your true self in the face of oppression with Ivankov's Newkama in Impel Down, but Oda doesn't really explore it much.

They were just talking about this on the latest One Piece Podcast. Really interesting timing.

Ever Disappointing fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 3, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I bet that journal contains the location of the missing Road Poneglyph

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I feel like I completely misjudged the size of Jack before now, also highly excited to see Nekomamushi become leader of AVALANCHE.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Caidin posted:

I feel like I completely misjudged the size of Jack before now, also highly excited to see Nekomamushi become leader of AVALANCHE.

Kaido's dyin', Cloud!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Queen is just so damned pumped all the time and its great.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Queen is just so damned pumped all the time and its great.
hell yeah he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0riMEBnLVpM

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bets on wether Yamato joins up? Character design is just similar enough to Robin and Nami that seems possible, history repeating itself and what not.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 3, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The World Inferno posted:

Bets on wether Yamato joins up? Character design is just similar enough to Robin and Nami that seems possible, history repeating itself and what not.

I think he's definitely coming along, but as part of the inevitable "samurai pirates" crew in the Strawhat Armada, not as a main crew member.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 3, 2020

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Don't forget to use spoiler tags until the chapter's out officially! :)

Begemot posted:

I think he's definitely coming along, but as part of the inevitable "samurai pirates" crew in the Strawhat Armada, not as a main crew member.

Oh, good point! I was trying to work out how Yamato would likely fit into things after the end of this arc but I can definitely see them stepping aside after discovering Momo & the Scabbards are alive, and instead embracing Oden's legacy as a samurai pirate.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if Kaidou intended to marry Yamato off to one of BM's children as part of the alliance.

Or maybe he already said so and my dumb rear end forgot it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He did say that he had an announcement regarding Yamato, but he didn't say what. Marrying him off seems likely though.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Interesting Yamato talks about inherited will. The log book must have info on poo poo Oden saw on Raftel.

Been waiting for Queen's intro animated all quarantine.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 3, 2020

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sub Harrison posted:

Interesting Yamato talks about inherited will. The log book must have info on poo poo Oden saw on Raftel.

Been waiting for Queen's intro animated all quarantine.

As soon as the log book came out I began worrying about Luffy destroying it in some fashion because it has info on One Piece.

I do love that out of everyone taking part in the raid it's pretty much just Robin, Jinbe, and the old Yakuza guy(mooks don't count) who actually stuck with the infiltration plan. I kind of hope everyone else is too busy not following the plan so they get to run wild saving Momo.

Please let Robin fight. Orochi really deserves a visit from the Hana Hana Chiropractor.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Gyges posted:

As soon as the log book came out I began worrying about Luffy destroying it in some fashion because it has info on One Piece.

I do love that out of everyone taking part in the raid it's pretty much just Robin, Jinbe, and the old Yakuza guy(mooks don't count) who actually stuck with the infiltration plan. I kind of hope everyone else is too busy not following the plan so they get to run wild saving Momo.

Please let Robin fight. Orochi really deserves a visit from the Hana Hana Chiropractor.

The samurai fail hard at killing Orochi, then Robin snaps all his necks at once for the win.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Robin ties all of Orochi's necks together in a big knot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Kiku and Izo's reunion was a cool little moment. Nice that Marco thought ahead like that.