Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Viridiant posted:

I have a theory that someday after One Piece ends we're going to look back at Skypiea and realize that it was the entirety of One Piece's plot in one arc.

I'm not basing this on anything other than me really liking Skypiea and how it perfectly distills One Piece down to its best elements.

That's just outright true, IMO. You don't even need to see the ending. It encapsulates the overall themes of the show better than any other segment of the story does in isolation. If someone told me they wanted to experience One Piece before they died but only had a month to live, I'd tell them to read the Skypiea arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Skypeia is fun and all but honestly it's kinda low on my list of arcs. It has a neat sense of adventure, but only really at the start before it gets kind of dragged down by the jungle stuff. There's a lot of just sorta wandering around without much going on, at least it doesn't feel like there's much advancement. The emotional beats are fine but are nowhere near the likes of the Alabasta salute or Robin's I WANT TO LIVE.

I would say the "entire" Alabasta arc / saga, from entering the grand line all the way to leaving Alabasta, is the ultimate One Piece experience. You get lots of adventurous new locales, lots of fun characters with long-running arcs, a mixture of goofy fights and intense strategic ones, and VERY strong emotion moments. It's also only slightly longer than the whole sky island saga too, 117 chapters vs 85.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Skypeia is great if you consider just the main beats of it. But a lot of the fights and the snake poo poo just dragged. In my eyes it suffered a lot from it being obvious early on how it would proceed, (Luffy punch bad man, rubber no effect from puny sparks) because of this a lot of the events just felt like dragging out until the conclusion. Most other arcs have unexpected twists along the way, Skypeia just kind of proceeded as planned with one fight per crew member and Luffy ran inside snake road.

TBH im super happy that kind of story telling has been left behind since Dressrosa (where it kind of sucked) in favour of WCI/Wano's absolute chaos and madness.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 21, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You all have PTSD from skypiea because it is not that bad at all

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i remember liking skypea as a teenager, when it was first written. but have no desire to go back to it. maybe in like a year when it finally gets the one pace treatment along with alabasta. but right now theyre doing water 7.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Skypiea has two the absolute best jokes in the entire series, which is enough for me to count it among the best arcs.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Speaking of the moon theory, I remember reading a theory where the straw hat / big hat was seen as an analogy for a flying saucer, and maybe that's what the D represents.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

I can't stand Boichi's art personally and thought his redraw of Zoro and Mihawk was really bad lol.

If the D turns out to be anything weird like a symbol other than the letter it'll be the straw hat on its side imo

Ironically, the D is actually the ancient poneglyphic symbol for boobs.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gyges posted:

Ironically, the D is actually the ancient poneglyphic symbol for boobs.

my god the one piece is a swimsuit after all

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

my god the one piece is a swimsuit after all

No joke, I 100% expect a gilded swimsuit to be in Gold Roger’s stash just so Brook and Sanji can make a joke about the One Piece being a one-piece while Robin silently agrees in one of her thought bubbles.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

No joke, I 100% expect a gilded swimsuit to be in Gold Roger’s stash just so Brook and Sanji can make a joke about the One Piece being a one-piece while Robin silently agrees in one of her thought bubbles.

Why else do you think Rodger laughed when his crew discovered it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

QuasiQuack posted:

Skypiea has two the absolute best jokes in the entire series, which is enough for me to count it among the best arcs.

The first is Eneru's face, what's the second?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Robin not knowing about camping

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Skypiea has so many! Luffy’s island song, the Sanji impressions, the wolves joining in the campfire party, Zoro’s goggles, Zoro’s Tarzan swing... Lots of primo One Piece comedy in that arc

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Here I was thinking they might be talking about when Luffy does impressions of the crew and completely forgot about that scene

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm not sure I actually want it answered, but a question thats gonna bug me forever is just "why is someone named a 'D'"? Are your parents struck with divine inspiration and name you that and then youre just on the life path of a troublemaker from then on? Is the D myth so widely spread that no one would accidently name their kid that? why did Garp name his son D? it's just such a funny quirk about the world and I want to know whats up with it

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Because everyone in your family is called something D. something, duh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Skypiea has so many! Luffy’s island song, the Sanji impressions, the wolves joining in the campfire party, Zoro’s goggles, Zoro’s Tarzan swing... Lots of primo One Piece comedy in that arc

its a great arc and it always surprises me people still don't like it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jose posted:

Imo it being detached from the major story stuff is good and fine. I hated it originally as I was 15 and just wanted to get to water 7

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

EmmyOk posted:

Imo it being detached from the major story stuff is good and fine. I hated it originally as I was 15 and just wanted to get to water 7

Yeah, many people don't like it because it doesn't directly advance the plot however I really like it, has a wonderful sense of adventure.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
If you all had to guess, do you think we have enough information from the story right now to figure out what the One Piece is, or are we still lacking enough critical info to piece it together?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
:shrug:

No idea, but based on previous small hints the leading theory is that Laugh Tale will unite the oceans

It would unite Laboon with Brooke/the rest of his kind
It would create "All Blue" a place where all the oceans meet and you can find every type of fish
It would "Destroy" Fish Man island by raising it above the sea and opening it up to the rest of the world

I'm sure there's a handful of other goals that are attainable by Reverse Mountain being destroyed and making it possible to travel anywhere in the world without worry of the Calm Belt and other difficulties

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder if the grand line itself is an artificial construct, like in the absence of a physical barrier like the red line whether it was created specifically to divide the world further.

God there is so much still to learn.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

tbp posted:

If you all had to guess, do you think we have enough information from the story right now to figure out what the One Piece is, or are we still lacking enough critical info to piece it together?

I had a crazy epiphany about shanks a few nights ago and have enough notes that I think I know what the one piece and final act of the manga will be.

Whoever who brought up the moon stuff with wano/skypeia really clicked in my brain with the sun motifs from alabasta/FI. And I think oda told us what the one piece is with gaimon’s little story (that to this point had no callback or functional importance like everything else in this meticulous manga). I’ll make a giant post about it later when I’m awake and combine all the poo poo I’ve been skimming over the years

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The Grand Line is the result of an ocean current eating a devil fruit.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Asuron posted:

The first is Eneru's face, what's the second?

Luffy's idiot face.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Viridiant posted:

The Grand Line is the result of an ocean current eating a devil fruit.

An ocean current would drown in itself if it ate a devil fruit.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Ok imma make it short and sweet
EDIT: sorry lol fixed kinda

Wano is gonna be another 100-150 chapters long, Alliance fails and usopp gets captured and becomes the eyepatched pirated after torture (maybe after bargaining his sniper god title in exchange for nami to echo Pedro)

Elbaf is the big shanks arc that’s really about self actualization from all the straw hats completing their journeys, which means everyone must have finished what they were looking for from wano. plus WCI=obersavtion haki wano=armament so elbaf is gonna be a major yonko arc around luffy and his conqueror haki

Kaido broke ace into the 4th calamity and ace proved his freedom(maybe ace told WB that oden was alive with Yamato?), then went to marineford to save him (this might be the act 3 ender?)

Shanks is some agent or mover of fate that somehow turned luffy into the pirate king from ace’s original destiny (if dreams can be inherited maybe they can be stolen too like fruits).

Joyboy was a ancient giant with luffy disposition (shadow orz musta been hinting at this) who wore that giant hat and shanks set up everything so strawhat luffy ascends to a yonko with one too.

And the one piece is a chunk of the lost kingdom since one/all of the super weapons already can bust mariejois/FI, luffy will learn the WG is false and just start or join the war that shanks/dragon/garp/Roger couldn’t do for various reasons (but BB also knows it’s all fake and that’s why he’s been following the rocks route for pirate king)

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 22, 2020

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

I think the problem is that it comes at a point where you've very hungry to find out more about the world. Spending all that time without learning anything about the marines, fruits, etc, is kind of frustrating for the first-time reader.

This is like anathema to a lot of people, but I've encouraged a few first-time readers to skip Skypiea initially and then read it during the timeskip or after catching up as if it were a flashback. It works much better positioned later in the series.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Professorjuggalo posted:

Ok imma make it short and sweet

one paragraph in and it's already the ramblings of a madman!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

Knowing Oda, there should be enough pieces of information revealed to figure it out by now, the problem is that they are buried and mixed with so much other facts and rumors that whatever it is is just one out of a hundred possibilities, you'll never know for sure which one it is. So i think Yes, But No.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ya there's enough out there that once it's revealed what one piece is you can go back to like ch 100 and find some reference to it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Literally the first page of One Piece tells us what One Piece is!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM7uCI6LXbU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

haha

If it's actually just treasure, including maybe a Poneglyph with some info on it, that would be The Best.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Professorjuggalo posted:

Moving on, we know how ace was, and we now know yamato and ace met each other. I think the theory that ace was captured/broken by kaido pans out 100%.

yeah there is way too much w.r.t Ace and Kaido for what we know to be the real story

fact: Ace has been to Wano and met Yamato
fact: Yamato has been imprisoned on (nearly impregnable) Onigashima for twenty years
conjecture: Ace probably met Kaido

fact: Ace fought Whitebeard and he intended to defeat all of the Yonko, had to essentially sacrifice himself to protect his vastly outmatched crew
(probably) fact: Ace encountered Kaido before joining the Whitebeard Pirates and still managed to have a crew afterwards
conjecture: Ace probably fought Whitebeard, specifically, so desperately because of something that happened with Kaido

fact: Kaido is coming to "take advantage" of Whitebeard's war with the Yonko and is intercepted by Shanks
fact: Shanks has an as-of-yet unexplained relationship with The Five Elders, some of the most powerful and intensely guarded people in the world, and can enter Mary Geoise (perhaps secretly) with no trouble
conjecture: Shanks possibly may have been preventing Kaido from aiding Ace

fact: Kaido's top men are named King, Queen and Jack
fact: Ace's name is Ace
conjecture: I mean, come on

there's too much at play here for Ace's relationship with Kaido to not be something Big and definitely related to Shanks' ambiguous role in the story

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bisse posted:

haha

If it's actually just treasure, including maybe a Poneglyph with some info on it, that would be The Best.

We already know the Rio Poneglyph is on LaughTale and is separate to the One Piece

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the one piece is real

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I think the one piece is cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

roger had all his treasure used to leave this on laugh tale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGM-dY4TzqA