Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
The thing that really bakes my noodle is that she was probably the Pollyanna of the Rocks Pirates who kept everyone else's spirits up through sheer cheerful positivity.

Or they just abused the poo poo out of her, too. Or both.

Strawberry Pyramid fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

Maybe she'll land in the village she fed who will react to her assuming she's the Big Mom they know, and by doing so she'll realize the error of her ways.
OK wow, that would be, wow

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It would be an absolutely baller twist if that's what causes the end of her alliance with Kaido, like she realises that people will want to be part of her all-species party if she's just, you know, nice to them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think big mom eating mother caramel and all of her adoptive siblings is one of the strangest things to happen in one piece. Good strange, but wow.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

The thing that really bakes my noodle is that she was probably the Pollyanna of the Rocks Pirates who kept everyone else's spirits up through sheer cheerful positivity.

by the time she was in the Rocks Pirates she had already been a pirate for a while, iirc she was in her 20s or 30s by then

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

rannum posted:

by the time she was in the Rocks Pirates she had already been a pirate for a while, iirc she was in her 20s or 30s by then

True. Still, the idea that even then she might have been "the nice one" by comparison says a lot about what the Rocks Pirates were like.

Blackbeard ain't poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nah she was an older member. Remember she was raised by her current chef Streusen after she lost Mother Caramel. Who was the one who encouraged all of her worst behaviors, cause he is an rear end in a top hat, and helped her found her crew before she eventually joined up with Rocks.

True. Still, the idea that even then she might have been "the nice one" by comparison says a lot about what the Rocks Pirates were like.

Blackbeard ain't poo poo.

Doubt she was already pretty horrible soon after starting out as a full on pirate due to Streusen's guidance.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 7, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the anime really did "he laughed" justice

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dang I gotta see that.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

the anime really did "he laughed" justice

God drat, them playing that song makes me tear up...

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLivdpRo5tM

Looking forward to someone making an animated "Roger Didn't Laugh" edit.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Big mom is just a child that was infested by mother carmels soul power, that's why when she goes under water she gets amnesia, that wasn't amnesia that was her possession going away

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DizzyBum posted:

Yeah, it's pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLivdpRo5tM

Looking forward to someone making an animated "Roger Didn't Laugh" edit.

One Piece really IS an International Treasure isn't it.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The Grand Line is actually a defunct reality show and One Piece is the prize for bringing the Mermaid Princess to the finish line. Joy Boy is the show's mascot/host.

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The Rubber Man, The Running Man... Close enough, that checks out.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Survivor got really weird after season 40.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Survivor got really weird after season 40.

I can't tell if your joking or not here since that show has been running forever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Parrotine posted:

I can't tell if your joking or not here since that show has been running forever.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! :v:

596 episodes across 40 seasons, according to Wikipedia. And that's just the American version, god knows how many there are between all the different spinoffs. Apparently there's an Australian Survivor, which I assume is just set in Brisbane.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Parrotine posted:

Multiple seasons a year, reality shows don't have the same downtime as scripted

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! :v:

596 episodes across 40 seasons, according to Wikipedia. And that's just the American version, god knows how many there are between all the different spinoffs. Apparently there's an Australian Survivor, which I assume is just set in Brisbane.

Wow you really weren't pulling my chain, that's bonkers :psyduck:

Sort of thought the reality tv show fad died off around the late '00s with the occasional Kardashians megahit sticking around.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Survivor has the unusual status of a Reality Show of actually being good sometimes so it stuck pretty hard. Also that early trend setter staying power.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Also aren't reality shows in general just absurdly cheep to make? Even the less successful ones tend to turn a profit, or so I heard?

In any case, its still got a ways to go before it catches up with One Piece. Maybe they'll have a 1000 episodes extravaganza in season 79 or whenever.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

genuinely an all time top 10 one piece chapter

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

God drat. Now that’s good chappy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:eyepop:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HOLY poo poo

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This chapter kicks so much rear end.

This kaido fight is hitting all the same vibes as some of the greatest fights in the history of one piece. This is that "oh poo poo" turning point moment where the villain finally realizes "oh maybe this luffy kid means business." This is Luffy using his blood to hit Crocodile, this is Enel finally finding an opponent he can't just one-shot. This arc has been incredible and I am so so so hype to see how the rest of this is gonna play out

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I guess this confirms that the ‘black lightning’ we seen around some of Oden’s attacks (including the one he scarred Kaido with) were all meant to indicate Advanced Conqueror’s Haki

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Amazing.

"I was using the wrong kind of haki" is some pretty peak one piece.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm shaking

Luffy just did the most damage to Kaido he's done this whole time and he's not even using a Gear

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cat Machine posted:

I guess this confirms that the ‘black lightning’ we seen around some of Oden’s attacks (including the one he scarred Kaido with) were all meant to indicate Advanced Conqueror’s Haki

This is also what happened the few times we have seen the Emperor's clash, along with Roger's Clash with Whitebeard.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cat Machine posted:

And apparently it’s what Zoro’s Asura is so it’s not limited to just coating yourself with it.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Zoro doesn't have conqueror's, he just hit him really really hard, chill out folks.

At least I'm pretty sure, I don't want another lame as gently caress midichlorians retcon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nah zoro definitely has a little Conq in him

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Zoro doesn't have conqueror's, he just hit him really really hard, chill out folks.

At least I'm pretty sure, I don't want another lame as gently caress midichlorians retcon.

What? If Rayleigh has it so does Zoro... even ignoring this chapter

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ryaomon posted:

It isn't really explicitly clear if Zoro actually does have Conquerors Haki, or if it's just Kaido interpreting it that way, though I think it does make sense for Zoro to have it, and would explain the damage outside of Enma.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

RatHat posted:

And apparently it’s what Zoro’s Asura is so it’s not limited to just coating yourself with it.

Conqueror's Haki is actually just Nen

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zoro has it, he just can't pull it out at will or really comprehend it in order to use it well. Hence why he interpreted it as just putting his all into the attack.

Crazy stuff, and we haven't even got to awakening. I guess that'll probably be for another arc, unless this fight is going to get even bigger, which is possible. Also, this is definitely building to Zeus joining Nami soon. He's going to hear Big Mom and Prometheus badmouthing him, and he'll go save Nami from Ulti just in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Zoro has it, he just can't pull it out at will or really comprehend it in order to use it well. Hence why he interpreted it as just putting his all into the attack.

Crazy stuff, and we haven't even got to awakening. I guess that'll probably be for another arc, unless this fight is going to get even bigger, which is possible. Also, this is definitely building to Zeus joining Nami soon. He's going to hear Big Mom and Prometheus badmouthing him, and he'll go save Nami from Ulti just in time.

Yeah I bet Prometheus' request was to give him all of the soul within Zeus. And then Zeus will end up with a sliver of soul left(enough to be sentient) and Nami can have him.