Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

That's a cool detail. We also saw in the last chapter Kid remarking that the clouds are weird. "What's with these clouds" so she maybe put some of her soul into one of Kaido's clouds?

When two conqueror's clash the sky splits in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pour one out for Pedro :rip:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Dunno if it was posted before, but I'm posting it again because just :allears:

https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/1385632864281063424

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crosspeice posted:

"I'm gonna eat the rich!"

I think you're confusing Luffy with Big Mom.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Parrotine posted:

You know I was kind of expecting a bit more Kaidou backstory by now through a flashback or something, but so far no dice!
Hoping for a Señor Pink style flashback where as the final rain of punches land on Kaido he reminisces back to his tragic family of years past and we all cry tears over what a hard-boiled hunk he is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bisse posted:

Hoping for a Señor Pink style flashback where as the final rain of punches land on Kaido he reminisces back to his tragic family of years past and we all cry tears over what a hard-boiled hunk he is.

Slavery is bad imo

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Jose posted:

Slavery is bad imo

Tell that to all the O-Tama-stans

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Terror Sweat posted:

Tell that to all the O-Tama-stans

Uh, I feel you should realize that friendship is magic and Tama is the most magical of girls.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://twitter.com/yookoisei/status/1365555717457932291

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't like the undercurrent in the fandom that want to make Kaido out to be a good dad. He is a very bad dad who has some unexpected not bad aspects.

A good dad doesn't place their child under house arrest and strap bombs to them because of a philosophical disagreement. A velvet fist really doesn't hurt less than a fist without a glove.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gyges posted:

I don't like the undercurrent in the fandom that want to make Kaido out to be a good dad. He is a very bad dad who has some unexpected not bad aspects.

A good dad doesn't place their child under house arrest and strap bombs to them because of a philosophical disagreement. A velvet fist really doesn't hurt less than a fist without a glove.

Alternative universe.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
People are clearly putting too much emphasis on Kaido using proper pronouns. He is stated to be physically abusive.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

my parents boyfriend posted:

People are clearly putting too much emphasis on Kaido using proper pronouns. He is stated to be physically abusive.

to a lot of liberals this is acceptable

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
It's just the Garp way of helping children become strong in the One Piece world.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

IceBorg posted:

It's just the Garp way of helping children become strong in the One Piece world.

Yeah, this is One Piece. Beating the poo poo out of your super-strong kids is morally neutral.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kaidou is understandably cross at the idea of his son getting into weeb poo poo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaidou conquered an island of samurais and is himself based on japanese mythology. He is weeb poo poo.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Gyges posted:

Oh? So how would you deal with the situation if you were a 20 foot tall draconic pirate lord occupying a foreign country and your son suddenly started developing sympathy with the native Samurai? Easy to criticize a parent when you haven't lived through the tough reality.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tolth posted:

Oh? So how would you deal with the situation if you were a 20 foot tall draconic pirate lord occupying a foreign country and your son suddenly started developing sympathy with the native Samurai? Easy to criticize a parent when you haven't lived through the tough reality.

I would execute the idiot I put in charge of the native Samurai land and manage it myself, improving life whilst trying to retain my vast industrial power base. So that my son can inherit the position he clearly desires.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Garp is Besto Dad, also swinging by to visit your kids annually for some abuse and concussions are a sound parenting strategy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
garp may beat the poo poo out of kids but his son also wants to overthrow the extremely nasty and corrupt world governemnt, so who's to say if he's a good or bad dad

the twist will be finding out dragon wants to overthrow the world government for making garp a vice admiral

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

garp knows where dragon is and just punches him every year

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jose posted:

garp may beat the poo poo out of kids but his son also wants to overthrow the extremely nasty and corrupt world governemnt, so who's to say if he's a good or bad dad

the twist will be finding out dragon wants to overthrow the world government for making garp a vice admiral

I’m still expecting Garp’s contempt for the Celestial Dragons to be the impetus for Dragon leaving the navy and declaring war on the entire world, which if so makes Garp a Pretty Good Dad. Also he turned Coby from a scrub rear end punk to super legit, so maybe it’s just that Luffy was a failure?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Luffy is also pretty legit tbf.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

saying the marines are more legit than luffy...?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Luffy is also pretty legit tbf.

Luffy became legit after ten years of grinding, Adult(ish) Luffy is one of my favorite protagonists in all of fiction but I find whiny scrubby little kid flashback Luffy kinda grating sometimes.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

I’m still expecting Garp’s contempt for the Celestial Dragons to be the impetus for Dragon leaving the navy and declaring war on the entire world, which if so makes Garp a Pretty Good Dad. Also he turned Coby from a scrub rear end punk to super legit, so maybe it’s just that Luffy was a failure?

Garp and Dragon seem to agree on a lot of things, but Garp wants to do as much good as he can within a broken system (and seems to largely be successful at it to be honest) whilst Dragon has decided to rip the system apart no matter who it hurts (success so far unsure).

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Adult(ish) Luffy is one of my favorite protagonists in all of fiction but I find whiny scrubby little kid flashback Luffy kinda grating sometimes.
As a dad, this is a perfectly standard character leveling trajectory.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Garp and Dragon seem to agree on a lot of things, but Garp wants to do as much good as he can within a broken system (and seems to largely be successful at it to be honest) whilst Dragon has decided to rip the system apart no matter who it hurts (success so far unsure).

That's a bit unfair to Dragon. The Revolutionaries don't go around tearing down governments by themselves; they're more about providing support to people who've already decided they want things to change.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ThingOne posted:

That's a bit unfair to Dragon. The Revolutionaries don't go around tearing down governments by themselves; they're more about providing support to people who've already decided they want things to change.

I mean more that his stated goal is to tear down the World Government (definitely a good thing in terms of removing the celestial dragons) but so far he's done what you've said so his actual grand scale success is to be decided.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Not even that, they just want to get rid of the Celestial Dragons and presumably the rest of the shadow dictatorship. They'd probably be just fine with the rest of the WG if it really was a democratic council of independent city-states operating in common cause like they claim to everyone they are.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Not even that, they just want to get rid of the Celestial Dragons and presumably the rest of the shadow dictatorship. They'd probably be just fine with the rest of the WG if it really was a democratic council of independent city-states operating in common cause like they claim to everyone they are.

I actually found that a bit disappointing; it sort of makes me think "why isn't everyone on their side already, then?"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Dragon's probably super proud of how Luffy handled Drum Island :v:.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I actually found that a bit disappointing; it sort of makes me think "why isn't everyone on their side already, then?"

Come to think of it, I guess "they just want to get rid of the World Nobles" is an oversimplification; they may be fine with leaving much of the WG's structure intact, but they also overthrow national-level governments they consider tyrannical. So I guess it makes sense that a lot of people who aren't necessarily fans of the World Nobles nevertheless don't like the Revolutionaries (e.g., supporters of national governments facing rebellions). Plus of course there's going to be WG propaganda painting the Revolutionaries in the worst possible light. Plus the World Nobles are very distant figures for most of the world's population; we've seen that a lot of people in East Blue have never heard of them.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah I'd assume that labelling Dragon as "The Most Wanted Man in the World" comes with a ton of other anti-revolutionary propaganda we haven't seen yet.

Him having a higher bounty than Kaidou or Big Mom is insane now that we've seen what they're like up close.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
smh at oda not showing dragon fall asleep while eating like luffy, garp and ace

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 28, 2021

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
All this dad chat, and noone's brought up Whitebeard? Come on...

Thought I had while rereading the chapter. Big Mom infuses things with a soul, right? She doesn't just create things out of nothing. So I was thinking that 'Hera' is made out of the lightning\storm that Kaido's summoned. Dragon Lightning > Regular Lightning perhaps?

And wondered if Zeus relieved that she's alive is an indication that her dying doesn't mean all her creations disappear. That would be pretty unique to her fruit. That once she's created them, they are just kinda alive from then on; unless she decides to reabsorb them. They seem to function fine when she's knocked out, which is pretty unique already for a devil fruit's effects.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah I'd assume that labelling Dragon as "The Most Wanted Man in the World" comes with a ton of other anti-revolutionary propaganda we haven't seen yet.

Him having a higher bounty than Kaidou or Big Mom is insane now that we've seen what they're like up close.

Reckon that just goes back to Wanted posters not being power levels. Like Robin as a child.
The Yonko are rival powers to the World Government, but they haven't been actively seeking to bring it down; aside from Kaido's trying-to-start-a-war thing, and that's not personal to the WG.

Dragon and his gang are directly working to undermine the power structure of the WG, so makes sense they'd see him as more dangerous. Kinda wish we'd had more examples of any success he has had though by now to earn the moniker. Or like Robin, it could just be they know some things about the Void Century the WG wants to stay buried.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BoosterDuck posted:

smh at oda not showing dragon fall asleep while eating like luffy, garp and ace

That's because unlike Luffy and Ace, Dragon is a momma's boy.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Celestial Dragon was responsible for Garp's wife's death, which is why he refuses to be an Admiral and why Dragon wants to burn it all to the ground. I do hope that Dragon doesn't get Aced, and ends up sticking around to help Luffy break the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I feel like it's almost inevitable we'll get a flashback where Dragon has saved Luffy a handful of times while keeping his distance. & that when we do finally meet him he drops the tough guy act and turns out to be just as big a goof as the rest of his family.

Tragic backstory pending.