Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Last Celebration posted:

It’s funny because One Piece is absolutely the kind of show you could get away with poo poo like out of place accents and lollipop cigarettes so that dub was a special kind of awful, Marc Diarson aside.

Yeah, Zoro was definitely the standout of the 4kids dub, Marc did a great job. I even like his voice more than Sabat's Zoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I still wish they could’ve gotten the 4kids VA’s to voice the Fake Hats.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

i am tim! posted:

I still wish they could’ve gotten the 4kids VA’s to voice the Fake Hats.

Speaking of which, were the Fake Hats in the Funimation dub voiced by the crew’s regular actors only switched around like they were in the Japanese version?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

NO BREAK NEXT WEEK

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, were the Fake Hats in the Funimation dub voiced by the crew’s regular actors only switched around like they were in the Japanese version?
Looks like...yes!
Fake Hat - Straw Hat
Luffy - Sanji
Nami - Chopper
Zoro - Usopp
Usopp - Franky
Sanji - Zoro
Chopper - Luffy
Robin - Nami
Franky - Brook

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

Looks like...yes!
Fake Hat - Straw Hat
Luffy - Sanji
Nami - Chopper
Zoro - Usopp
Usopp - Franky
Sanji - Zoro
Chopper - Luffy
Robin - Nami
Franky - Brook

It's even the same switch-arounds as in Japanese.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure Fake Chopper was a normal deer (or some kind of animal) and didn’t talk. Also I was under the impression that Luffy voiced Fake Nami but I could be wrong.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Fake Chopper is a wild fox with a moustache that they stuck a hat on. It spent half the episode attached to the fake Robin’s head.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

i am tim! posted:

Fake Chopper is a wild fox with a moustache that they stuck a hat on. It spent half the episode attached to the fake Robin’s head.

Ah that’s right, I still don’t remember it making any sound though but I could be forgetting something.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

It just growls but it’s definitely Mayumi Tanaka making the sounds

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Ah that’s right, I still don’t remember it making any sound though but I could be forgetting something.

I still love that Faux Robin thought a pickle would entice it.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It just growls but it’s definitely Mayumi Tanaka making the sounds

They don't seem to do it so much anymore, but one of my favorite little touchesin the Japanese version was how the majority of the prominent animals were voiced by members of the Straw Hats.

Carue was voiced by Sanji, Minotaurus was voiced by Usopp, Sphinx was voiced by Brook, Nami voiced the rabbit that thought he was a cat in Water 7, Zoro voiced Pierre in Skypiea.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Something special

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dT7SBp4PYzM

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

A big problem with 4Kids was their time slots were aimed for young children, and the big TV networks had vast restrictions on what can be put on air. No death, no guns, no sexual references, no drugs, etc. The stuff posted above on how they aquired it in the first place is neat to read. It never made sense to me why a company aiming for the 8-12 audience would attempt to dub OP.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Apparently they got it in a package deal with some other anime franchises that they were after, and got the ball rolling on making it a SatAM cartoon before they realized just how dark/violent it was.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iirc it was specifically yugioh that 4kids really wanted and shonen jump would only agree if they also took on one piece

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Incidentally, when 4Kids One Piece was first announced, they had a version of We Are ready that quite frankly I like better than the real English We Are (and not just because it's free of Vic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfDV9JXnCg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Incidentally, when 4Kids One Piece was first announced, they had a version of We Are ready that quite frankly I like better than the real English We Are (and not just because it's free of Vic.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfDV9JXnCg

Yeah, not exactly an accurate translation in the least but still a good song none the less. Kind of a pity they never actually used it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

very disappointed they didn't try to work 'biorythym' in

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, not exactly an accurate translation in the least but still a good song none the less. Kind of a pity they never actually used it.

An accurate translation of We Are would be largely meaningless nonsense anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

An accurate translation of We Are would be largely meaningless nonsense anyway.

Fair. Like I said, still a really good version regardless though

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

We can all agree that Robin's best outfit was her Thriller Bark one at least

Skypiea & Water 7 mate

It’s not even a contest

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
we are is such a good song and pretty much all the other openings are just Ok at best

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

We Are kicking in as they ride the Knock Up Stream is still the hypest moment of the anime for me.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

On the subject of We Are, these subtitles would make me do a double-take every single time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

we are is such a good song and pretty much all the other openings are just Ok at best

Share the World tho

ThingOne posted:

We Are kicking in as they ride the Knock Up Stream is still the hypest moment of the anime for me.

I think the end of Crocodile vs Luffy Round Three is that for me, because it’s one thing to just have a hype track like You Say Run or some poo poo for the end of an anime fight but another thing entirely to just sync From The New World to the entire last third of the episode. Mayumi Tanaka rules for being the reason that was included.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Libra posted:

On the subject of We Are, these subtitles would make me do a double-take every single time

W- what's it saying?

Packing? Is it supposed to be packing?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah. The font has a thick black outline so it's clearer against brighter backgrounds, but not so much there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ah, the sound of my soul leaving my body

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

I will never not laugh at the Zoro vs. Mr.1 fight from 4kids.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Really want to hear what proper 4Kids Franky would've sounded like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fse2yVypqPc

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Last Celebration posted:

Share the World tho

I think the end of Crocodile vs Luffy Round Three is that for me, because it’s one thing to just have a hype track like You Say Run or some poo poo for the end of an anime fight but another thing entirely to just sync From The New World to the entire last third of the episode. Mayumi Tanaka rules for being the reason that was included.

Yeah, ending the fight with Dvorak was inspired but I'm in One Piece for the adventure. I hope we get another arc before this is over that's just the Strawhats going on some fantastical journey that's completely unrelated to the overarching plot. I've enjoyed the New World but the way each part has lead directly to the next has made it feel a lot smaller than Paradise did.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 11, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The cutscenes in Pirate Warriors 4 are sooooo bad, and out of context most of the time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ThingOne posted:

Yeah, ending the fight with Dvorak was inspired but I'm in One Piece for the adventure. I hope we get another arc before this is over that's just the Starwhats going on some fantastical journey that's completely unrelated to the overarching plot. I've enjoyed the New World but the way each part has lead directly to the next has made it feel a lot smaller than Paradise did.

I'm prety sure Elbaf is going to be an adventure story. At most it's got a connection to Big Mom and maybe the sky islands, but other than that it's just the land of the giants, literally named fable backwards.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

HerraS posted:

Really want to hear what proper 4Kids Franky would've sounded like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fse2yVypqPc

I mean, you KNOW they would’ve gone for the Ahnold voice if they got that far.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Libra posted:

Abolish all Chinese take-out-rear end fonts like this, they're an assault on good design sense.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
All due respect to sonny strait, the 4kids VA for usopp is the superior usopp

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Mayumi Tanaka rules for being the reason that was included.
What’s the story here??

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

AfroGunsou posted:

All due respect to sonny strait, the 4kids VA for usopp is the superior usopp

You mean the nails-across-a-chalkboard ear shattering banshee voice? Christ almighty that can gently caress right off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

What’s the story here??

Apparently she really liked that song and asked if they could use it for the end of the fight, or at lest that’s what I’ve heard.