Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Big HAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like Franky needs more love in the Straw Hat rankings. Good personality, good look, good fights.

I've been pleasantly surprised at just how much Franky has grown into one of the main powerhouses of the Strawhats since the time skip.
He's had a lot of fun fights. Having a literal transforming/docking mecha, defeating Baby5 and Buffalo, trashing the Dressrosa factory and the hard boiled fight against Senor Pink.

Has a pretty critical role within the crew apart from that, being the shipwright and just general engineer.

The running mecha gags; both how much the guys love the combining robots, and Robin's deadpan reaction.

Franky's great.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Electric Phantasm posted:

The tragedy will be One Piece going on hiatus.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
These last few chapters have been amazing. But drat, again Franky being the MVP post-timeskip. Him rallying Nami and the others was a fantastic panel.
Then the Jimbe and Robin teamup to throw her off was great.
And finishing with an awesome full crew panel, haven't seen one of those for a while.

I dunno why, but Queen's reactions to everything just cracks me up. Back at the prison when Luffy tried to escape, the "for some reason Marco and Perospero are here" panel, Zoro just appearing next to him then. It's great.

But yeah. Full Straw Hat crew in a brawl now with the Beast pirates and possibly rampaging Big Mom? Hyped if so.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Queen just seems to have a lot more to do with the rest of the crew than King seems to. I don't think we've seen him do much but talk with Kaido. Queen on the other hand we've seen actively running things like the prison. Possible King is more just muscle, but it has made Queen much more interesting so far.

I'm guessing the 'ancient giants' are one of the races Big Mom doesn't have in her crew. Still doesn't really explain King yet though, since he's meant to be another.

That might also finally be the answer to the big shadowy things back in the Florian Triangle. And where creatures like Oars came from.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Remalle posted:

I really hope this never gets answered, actually. Have to leave some stuff a mystery, and the giant shadows seem to have been set up to be just that.

Oh, I actually hope the same; I never really want to get a firm "this is what that was". That's what will always make it fun to speculate. And keeps parts of the world always feeling mysterious.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

I guess now we're seeing a lot more of King's value outside of muscle. He's obviously pretty competent at actually taking control of the Beast Pirates when needed; which probably a bit impressive given they're basically a pack of wild animals with a depressive drunk as a captain. And doesn't get hilarious reactions like Queen to things.
That kinda actually makes him a bit more like the Beast Pirates' Sanji, huh.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

lame-rear end battle against Moria

I'm going to respectfully disagree. I felt every Straw Hat got a moment to shine in that final battle, I love the team up in the end to take down Oars.
It also contrasted really well with just how -broken- Moria was after being defeated in the New World. Luffy's crew won out over his 'unkillable' zombie army.

That was a really dark theme that ran through that arc, which was one of the funniest and held a great "horror B-movie" theme. It was the first mention of the Yonko, and seeing Moria as what happens when you cross one of them. Terrified of ever having a living crew again, dreams broken and content to hang out now in the weaker seas, lazy and relying on his expendable troops and his devil fruit power. He gave the aura of someone that in their prime would've defeated Luffy at that time, but now is just too out of shape to seriously compete anymore on the world stage. Kuma being there also gave the impression that the World Government felt the same; he was clearly seen as the weakest link of the seven. If not for Crocodile screwing up, he'd have lost his position in the Warlords right then.

And man... it really has been that long since the threat of Kaido was being built up.

It also had one of my favourite Luffy moments:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Kinda missed favourite One Piece moments chat, but reading them reminded me of what -really- made One Piece stand out for me on first read through.

The Zoro/Mihawk fight. The typical Shonen formula here would've been to have Zoro get a cut in on Mihawk, and have that be what impressed Mihawk about Zoro's "potential".
But nope! Zoro flat-out did not stand a ghost of a chance. Mihawk was an absolute monster, the realisation of that just made him suddenly terrifying on a new level. Zoro and Luffy up until this point had seemed the monstrous ones, and it really started to paint the picture of what the folk over in the Grand Line were like. And Zoro did impress him in the end with his resolve, but only to the point that he was left with a wound that would've been lethal for anyone else.
((And the follow up image of Arlong's expression when he sees Zoro's wound, becoming the first time we see Arlong considering someone an actual threat.))
I dunno, it was great. It just really stuck with me.

I feel that in general as well, it's one of the things that Oda has handled pretty well and has kept the "power levels" stuff not becoming too disbelieving. I mean yeah, it's always going to be a little out of whack, but mostly it feels he's never really compromised the strength of his characters too much for the narrative's sake.

Same with Luffy vs Aokiji early on. The Admirals in general have been kept as untouchable monsters to all but the strongest in the world. Luffy standing before them during Paramount War was an amazing moment, but it also had him going well beyond his limits just to reach that spot. Akainu still feels like a force of nature, the only one we've seen land a blow on him so far has been Whitebeard.

Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon was another great example of that; it was badass, but the direct consequence of it was the crew being split up until after the time skip. Drawing the direct ire of the World Government was still something completely beyond them, and the crew was entirely defeated. It was such a gut-wrenching low point of the story.

Anyway... in conclusion, One Piece rules. It's an amazing adventure. I could ramble on about favourite moments in it all day.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I've been really impressed with how long Big Mom has been an active antagonist for multiple arcs now, while never making her seem less threatening; despite the Straw Hats managing to escape or out maneuver her a couple times, she's still a terrifying monster.

So I was kinda batting around the idea in my own head it'd be neat how with Big Mom, she ends up kinda defeating herself in her chasing of Luffy. Like a really long war of attrition. Ignoring her own kingdom to the point it begins to fall into ruin. Seems a bit thematically appropriate given the flavour of greed her character represents, obsessing over defeating Luffy to the point she loses everything else.

But the way this chapter ended it? Nah. The last line really hits it home; Luffy needs to surpass both of them right now, to be capable of being King of the Pirates. This is where he'll be firmly placed on the same level as an individual Yonko. And break both Kaido and Big Mom's own dreams of reaching One Piece.

They're both getting punched so hard.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
See, weirdly enough I don't -hate- Big Mom. She's a fantastic villain though. Both her and Kaido have felt near-unstoppable the entire story.

It may just be because though you have the Celestial Dragons in the background absorbing all my hate. Those guys I can't wait to see fall from grace.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Speaking of villains, Queen has to be one of the best Oda has introduced. He's such a sadistic son of a bitch, his over the top reactions are hilarious, and he turns into a brachiosaurus. It's all gold.

I know King is meant to be the "strongest" of the Lead Performers, but Queen really does just steal the whole show right now.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Bleck posted:

A man's dream... will never die [as long as others rise up to carry it]!

I love that panel so much, it's one of the best out of all of One Piece.
In any other manga, it would be one of the high points of the protagonist. Believing in dreams, standing up to the mocking bullies, it'd be a great hero moment.
But it comes in context of this really sombre tone after Zoro and Luffy have been dragged out by Nami, and this weird aura Blackbeard has the time. We have no idea who this guy is at this point, other than he loves cherry pies. But he recognizes Luffy's strength, and has a similar idealistic belief. Still, there's something sinister about him. It's such great foreshadowing.
With everything we've learnt about him since, it now almost sounds more of a threat.
((And it is one of those scenes the anime managed to really nail in tone))

Blackbeard has been built into such a great opposing force to Luffy, I can't wait til there's an arc focusing on the two of them clashing.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
They make a real point of introducing Blackbeard's crew with similar roles to the Strawhats. Doctor... Sniper... Helmsman... etc. It's definitely feeling it'll be more traditional 1v1 fights, if they clash straightforwardly.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
As rad as the setup of 'Giant Robot vs Mega Triceratops' is, I'm still going to be a little bummed about Franky not getting a 1v1 with Queen. He's been such a superstar post-timeskip, screw the naysayers that go all powerlevels on the fights.
It is odd honestly they haven't set Kaido's top three up against any of the Straw Hats yet. Jack apparently got knocked around pretty good by the Scabbards, but King and Queen were just running interference. I can't see it being Marco or anyone else that ends up beating them down, wouldn't be very satisfying to have anyone but the Straw Hats defeat the top of the Beast pirates.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I could get behind Monster Reindeer vs Robo-Brachiosaurus.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I think I'd be alright with every few chapters the first couple panels are Orochi getting 'killed' by someone else.

Although thematically this would be a great end to him. All the personal anxiety he had regarding the Scabbards, and regarding this a great reckoning between them; to be dispatched by them all at once with a "We have no time to waste on you".

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I -really- enjoyed the parallels in this chapter of Luffy\Zoro and Kidd\Killer. Really looking forward to Killer putting down Hawkins for good.

Also, this panel:

Big Mom coming in through those buildings like a goddamn Kaiju.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
All this dad chat, and noone's brought up Whitebeard? Come on...

Thought I had while rereading the chapter. Big Mom infuses things with a soul, right? She doesn't just create things out of nothing. So I was thinking that 'Hera' is made out of the lightning\storm that Kaido's summoned. Dragon Lightning > Regular Lightning perhaps?

And wondered if Zeus relieved that she's alive is an indication that her dying doesn't mean all her creations disappear. That would be pretty unique to her fruit. That once she's created them, they are just kinda alive from then on; unless she decides to reabsorb them. They seem to function fine when she's knocked out, which is pretty unique already for a devil fruit's effects.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah I'd assume that labelling Dragon as "The Most Wanted Man in the World" comes with a ton of other anti-revolutionary propaganda we haven't seen yet.

Him having a higher bounty than Kaidou or Big Mom is insane now that we've seen what they're like up close.

Reckon that just goes back to Wanted posters not being power levels. Like Robin as a child.
The Yonko are rival powers to the World Government, but they haven't been actively seeking to bring it down; aside from Kaido's trying-to-start-a-war thing, and that's not personal to the WG.

Dragon and his gang are directly working to undermine the power structure of the WG, so makes sense they'd see him as more dangerous. Kinda wish we'd had more examples of any success he has had though by now to earn the moniker. Or like Robin, it could just be they know some things about the Void Century the WG wants to stay buried.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
The last chapter:

"1v1, always bet on Kaido? Pft, Luffy got his conqueror's haki powerup, he's going to power through and upset this."

This chapter:

...Whelp

Then there's Big Mom just shaking off Kid's attack, that series of panels looked great. All the art for Big Mom is fantastic; rapidly cycling through happy, anguished, murderous, bored... she is terrifying.

It's been said so many times, but drat Oda is truly making the Yonko feel absolutely unstoppable monsters. For all the hits landed so far, it still doesn't feel anyone is actually a threat to either of them.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Super thrilled we got a few panels of Monster Point vs Queen, even if it alludes that even MP Chopper can't do damage to Queen's body. But still, MP tanking both Queen and Perospero, that's pretty hardcore. That's two of the top fighters from two different Yonko's crew, not being wiped away by a single attack from either of them is impressive.

The little backstory of Caesar helping Chopper improve his Rumble Balls was a nice little touch as well.

Seeing Queen is more cyborg-ish than first thought is just going to bum me out even more he's not getting matched up against Franky. Screw power levels, General Franky vs Mecha-Brachiosaurus would be a joy. Franky has been such a powerhouse post-timeskip, I'd love to see him shown at that level ((though going by his place in the polls, probs not going to happen)).

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Bloody Hell, Queen continues to be one of the best villains of One Piece.
I don't think there's been one that's got a genuine laugh out of me as much as he has.
While still being a genuine threat, and a complete piece of poo poo.

He's great.

((Still incredibly bummed though he didn't match up against Franky. But I get it.))

I was a little unsure with Sanji getting a Germa powerup, I do tend to like characters that are just powerhouses through effort; see like Garp and Zoro. But Sanji doesn't train like mad like they do, and going back and rereading the Whole Cake arc, he'd already surpassed his family without using their tech. Taking advantage of his heritage now for the sake of his crew, and to put himself firmly in the leagues of the Pirate King's top muscle fits really well. Might be one of those things that you can loose sight of reading week to week, put altogether it feels earnt and not a cheap rear end-pull.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

oddium posted:

i think it's fine that sanji gets a power up that causes him to hate himself. at least there's something interesting to work with there rather than a straight upgrade. anyway queen is a top 5 character

Just going to power up Hell Memories all the more.

...Is he now kinda Ryoga from Ranma? Powered by negativity?

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Gyges posted:

Wrong Strawhat superhero. It's those from Sniper Island who are already negative.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
There was a neat moment in the last episode, that I couldn't remember if it was in the manga or not, where Usopp and Chopper were sneaking past the sleeping Numbers in the Brachio Tank. And while both were scared, had Usopp trying to calm Chopper freaking out. I just really like those moments; where Usopp is understandably terrified being up against literal monsters, but manages to dig out some courage and forces himself to be on the level needed for the Pirate King's crew. It's very grounding.

Rereading a few recent chapters, King is standing out to me a bit as just being... competent. Suppose he's a little like Katakuri in that regard; and if he does have a goofy trait, like Katakuri it'll probably still be a little while until we see it. Which makes sense for the strongest of a Yonko's crew.
But yeah, I'd commented on a chapter a while ago that while Queen seems to be over-dramatic and other members seem to be running about in panic, King seems to have a pretty good command of the crew and is able to organise them when an attack happens. I've really enjoyed the few parts of his fight with Zoro so far, in that he's been pretty direct and brutal with his attacks. It does make him a little dull compared to other One Piece characters, but it seems to be a fun matchup for Zoro. I'm hoping for a bit of a drawn out fight; you'd expect a top commander to be a real challenge to Zoro, and a great milestone to overcome for him to become what is one of the strongest members of the Pirate King's crew. I liked him stating he had no interest in swordsmanship or technique, and was basically a brute. It contrasts nicely to Zoro's discipline, and the samurai of Wano as a whole.
I dunno, I feel he's just been built up as someone really truly threatening. And Zoro is a great match for that, Mr I'm-going-to-terrify-a-logia-so-hard-they-can't-reform.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
The team up fight for the climax of Thriller Bark is still one of my all time favourite scenes in One Piece. The whole set piece of bringing the crew together, Luffy pushing past his limits with using 2nd and 3rd gear together, to bring down another of the Shichibukai was a great moment. And then it ending with the ruthlessness of what they were up against with the World Government in Kuma also showing up, which then lead to "nothing happened", one of the defining moments for Zoro.

It was also the arc that started laying the groundwork for the larger conflict that's just now starting to come to fruition. It introduced Kaido and Big Mom, and the strength of the Yonko. One of the best parts of just how broken Moria was. Here was someone that the entire crew needed to come together against, and it was very well shown Moria was a lazy shadow of his former self. All because he tried to oppose one of the Yonko. It was a great way to begin the build up of just how -terrifying- the likes of Kaido were compared to anything the crew had come across.

I really appreciate the detail Oda has put into building up the world, and it's what is making the current payoff so satisfying.

I'm also really digging how the fight with Big Mom went this chapter. This is a great way to now keep her occupied for the rest of the action. No entirely defeated, but she'll be trying to fight off having the whole fortress trying to crush her for the rest of the battle. Great way to sideline her without making her seem any less of a monsterious threat, and still gives Law and Kidd a nice win against a Yonko themselves.

I'll forever enjoy just how good of a job Oda did with the Yonko. They all just are so -threatening-. Terrifying forces of nature. Monsters even among the monsters of the One Piece world.

Fecha posted:

awakened foxy: za warudo

lol

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 29, 2021

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Bisse posted:

They did said it drains their energy fast, so it's possibly a one-and-done attack for both of them.

I liked this detail as well! Pretty much signifies this is the end of that fight for a bit. It's a nice KO that doesn't lower Big Mom's threat level much either.
I do like how it's showing that first learning "Awakening" is a hugely draining endeavor. These are the first characters we've seen that haven't already long been capable of it. Sounds like it's a bit like learning your fruit all over again. And also just not a general "power up"; like the GumGum fruit and others probably only powerful on how it's used creatively.
I'm guessing then we won't see it from Luffy this fight, he's already had a major power up already with his haki. If we do, it'll probably be some last minute burst to save part of the capital or something. That'll lead into him pushing to start learning it proper for the next arc.

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 30, 2021

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

tbp posted:

i think i only..sorta agree. kidd's awakening is a pretty logical next step, and though it could have been part of his core power, framing it as a surprise technique does add another element cuz then its logical that big mom would be surprised. what we saw this chapter of law's is just so amorphous i can't pretend it's creative

It seems to jive with what we've seen of awakened Paramecia fruits anyway; though there's only been two other examples so far, Doflamingo and Katakuri. Like them, Kidd gives other objects properties of his own power. Law's is as nebulous as the rest of his power set; I kinda took it as it gave him a surefire way to bypass all protections like Haki, etc. Law's powers being so poorly defined bugs me as well, as knowing the limitations is part of what builds tension. Still badass though with him being one of the few to actually draw blood on Big Mom though.
Awakened Zoans seem to be very different. And I don't think we've had any hint at what an Awakened Logia would entail.
I like how wakening has been kinda a parallel power up to everything else. I feel in a lesser manga, it would've been introduced in the same arc Luffy learns it, and it'd be more of a straight powerup. Something like... Dressrosa, where Doflamingo has an Awakened fruit, so Luffy needs to learn to awaken his in order to defeat him. That would've be boring.
Instead, I really look forward to what creative moves Luffy is going to come up in the future. I just imagine a "bouncy castle"; turning the walls rubber to punch Akainu into and just rebound off to keep punching him again. I'm sure Oba has some neat special moves planned.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Drakkel posted:

Law's power does have a couple weaknesses in that it actually tires him out to use it which doesn't seem to be a problem for most other fruit users, and also it's ultimate technique is one he can never use cause it'll kill him. I think people find Law's power confusing because it's not a simple "You are Rubber" or "You are Fire" type of power. It's the most JoJo's type power in the series and I think that throws people off.

I think probably the easiest way to think of it is that the fruit makes you a Surgeon and the world around you is the Patient. Law's Room is an Operating Room. A surgeon cuts people open without killing them, thus Law can cut people or things up without killing them. A surgeon can transplant stuff, therefore Law can "transplant" whatever he wants anywhere in his room. A surgeon can administer electrical shocks with shock paddles, thus Law can electrocute people, etc.

This a good point, and true. It's a very open ended power; I suppose as well, absolutely terrifying in the hands of someone like Law who also has the knowledge of a surgeon. He can be much more creative with it than most.
There is a direct line between his stamina, and how large of a room he can create. That was made very clear after the time skip
I think what loses something in that in the end, it gets a bit reduced to just delivering some sort of shockwave to his opponent.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

AtomikKrab posted:

Punk Hazard is our hint at what awakened logia's can do. We can assume the Admirals have awakened their fruits

Oh true. The island was permanently scarred with the elemental effects from Akainu and Aokiji. That would be inline with a step above a normal Logia.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Whelp, so much for my thoughts of that keeping Big Mom out for at least the rest of the fights. She's such a goddamned monster, I love it.

Cat Machine posted:

Really love that we spent close to three years speculating on the raid suit, how it would be upgraded to benefit Sanji, etc. etc. and in the end Oda was like “he doesn’t need it, he’s gonna power up using the fire in his heart”

One Piece is awesome

This was a really great character moment. I'd been kinda thinking Franky or Usopp would make some upgrades, or help make the suit his own... nup. gently caress it. It's such a great way now as well to have him still keep some of the new durability he's awakened, while still firmly rejecting his family. Him and Zoro share some of the best moments as well. Great stuff.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Little more recent, but Queen's reactions when arriving at the prison, as well as everyone just standing around as Luffy tries to escape:

Honestly, just about everything with Queen. He's quickly become one of my favourite villians in all of One Piece, and I can't wait to see Sanji kick his poo poo in.

Edit:
Huh, this was from the SBS of the same volume\chapter (935)

Oda did have that in mind from the beginning.
I mean, obviously with it also being a trait of Asian style dragons and whatnot, but with it all being a plot point with the island floating. Neat.

Zakutambah fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2021

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I thought the Death Note adaptation was just... ok. It was fine for what was basically trying to be an American version of Death Note. But nothing amazing. Watched it, then pretty much forgot about it.

Was the Bleach live action only distributed by Netflix, or did they have a hand in that as well? Because that I actually kinda enjoyed it for what it was; it was better anyway that what I was expecting of a live action version of Bleach.

The recent live action Kenshin movies have been pretty good, though I haven't seen all of them yet.

This reminds me I haven't watched the Full Metal Alchemist one yet either...

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Speaking of anime, the latest episode had Big Mom confronting Luffy on the main floor, and really reminded me one of the things that I liked about Big Mom when she was first introduced.
She's a lot like Luffy in some ways. Refuses to compromise, and will fight to the death over food. She brought up the tea party, the wedding, and the current feast as things Luffy ruined, and... yeah. Yeah, if someone ruined Luffy's meat, I could see him totally launching a vindictive chase after them.

It also had Franky hitting Big Mom with his bike; and while it wasn't the top tier animation quality, they still did a pretty good job at making it suitably badass.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Although we're still waiting for the exact "how" to play out, it's still going to be ultimately Luffy defeats Kaido; there's been enough build up now that this is going to be the arc that cements Luffy as being on the same level as the Yonko.

I'm looking forward to the wrap up chapters after this. Can you imagine Sakazuki's face upon learning that not only has Straw Hat defeated Kaido, but he's also part of opening up Wano and an ally of it's new Shogun? And that two other supernovas allied with Straw Hat either fought Big Mom to a stand still, or outright defeated her as well? AND that now the Straw Hat crew includes not only an ex-Shichibukai in Jimbei, but also Kaido's son?! He's going to have a stroke.
We'd also better get a reaction face of Garp laughing, and Sengoku relieved he no longer has to deal with this.

((I can just imagine the press lumping everyone here into the 'Straw Hat Alliance', and reporting the alliance defeated two of the Yonko. That'll really piss Kidd off.))

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Kidd's way of dealing with things seems to be burying them under piles of twisted metal.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Could do either way with some of the Numbers being the older samurai, or that Yamato just become buddies with them over the years. Both work well. The Numbers were probably a little bit harder for Kaido to bully or kill off for being friendly with Yamato than the regular mooks. It'd also be a bit of a nice 'gently caress you' to Kaido, if he never noticed his monstrous Numbers being turned against him by his son just treating them right. Or it's a great oversight by Kaido in that he used Yamato's old samurai friends for the experiments that created the Numbers.
Also, gently caress yeah seeing what a powerhouse King is. You could definitely see him going toe-to-toe with the likes of Katakuri. The combined gag of 'this is what dinosaurs do' with the indignant 'of course not!' regarding the fire, as if that's the ridiculous part, was hilarious.
Oda's flow and pacing right now has been spot on. Going back and reading the last few chapters all at once, there's a lot of chaos going on, but I haven't felt at all lost on events. This arc is the wildest ride.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Personally, I'm always enjoyed that among all the crazy powers and abilities of One Piece, one of the strongest folk is "guy that punches -really- hard".
In general, I really like the concept of haki that way. It keeps devil fruits from being overpowered and unbeatable, and keeps the fights with them really creative. You'd think having the ability to exists as pure lightning would make you unstoppable, but nope... There's a lot of swordsman out there that'll cut you down as if you were a normal mook. There's very few people in One Piece that don't feel they've earnt and worked hard for the power they possess.
The only thing I'd change if I could is Conqueror's Haki. Just instead of it being a rare trait you're born with, I'd have liked it more phrased more as "only one-in-a-million have the will to use it". Like... anyone could use it if they trained hard enough and had the willpower, but in reality there will only every be a rare few to reach that height.
But it still seems that even if you're born with the ability, you still can't really use or control it without serious hard work. So it doesn't bug me too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

tbp posted:

yeah but i do think it's been kinda poor in the other direction. there's realistically no reason ace or yamato should have / have had conquerors IMO. neither of their goals are /were grand or sweeping, ace's was completely personal to himself and not representative of anything that one would ascribe a "conqueror" nature to. yamato pretty explicitly has a wonky dream in wanting to emulate oden, and ironically i'd say oden too has no real justification for having COC.

its acting in the late game as a sort of generic ++ to stats (from what we've seen)which is a bit of a shame imo

Yeah, that's kinda my feeling. I'd have preferred if it was more just at a certain point, your willpower is strong enough to just knock random mooks out. Or like Zoro when he terrified Monet so much she couldn't reform; 'killing instinct' or whatever being as the same as CoC under a different name would've been fun. Pretty much everything with how it's used is fine, it's it being a thing you're either born with or you're not that isn't my favourite theme. Especially as it seems to be a requirement to be a top contender at this point.
I do get though the way Oda writes the story, anyone that has the 'will' to reach for those heights is someone with CoC, I just would've liked it to have been written that it's that way around. Strong willpower -> develop CoC. Not be born with it first.