Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It's so loving funny that Jinbe has been technically part of the crew for like 8 years and hasn't been in a single color spread with them except for the Arashi one. Like Franky was in the vs CP9 one and even if you don't count that was in the one two chapters after he joined. Brook was in one the same chapter he joined. Jinbe hates commitment (or people hate Jinbe (it's both)).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Viridiant posted:

Wow this Jinbe guy rules, what's his story?

Good question all his flashbacks are about everyone around him was way cooler and died while he did nothing and got a promotion.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Every time you see a clip from the anime the animation is 20% worse and Kazuki Yao has eaten 20 more cartons of cigs.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

My God I never knew joy until I unlocked white beard in pw4.

This game turned me from ambivalent about Katakuri to his biggest fan. If Musou games are power fantasies then the giant characters in this game are like being drunk on it.

The Alternate Wano Arc is great too because it's basically an excuse to get as many playable characters in one place so you can be whoever you want in the last level.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
"We'll save the toast for after the battle" Jinbe gonna die lol

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Lucci definitely doesn't believe in poo poo , he's just a sociopath who likes having a license to kill.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
https://twitter.com/onepiece_games/status/1249976389698293761

didn't see that one coming

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Philosopher King posted:

I recently started to watch one piece with my kids. I was kind of shocked at how reserved nami was drawn back in the original opening episodes. I remember her expanding chest size being a gag.

I'm also noticing just how much Oda had planned out maybe from the beginning from haki, to the connection between buggy and shanks.

But I'm also wondering how much of it changed over the years to accommodate the story. They had multiple shots of what looked to be fodder crew members on I'm guessing Rogers ship and when shanks caused buggy to eat the devil fruit.

I also know that originally only Luffy was supposed to be a devil fruit user but other than that I'm not really aware of any major plot lines or story focuses that were created on the fly or changed over time. If there was any evidence of a contradicting storyline I haven't seen much evidence of it as of yet.

Haki if anything is the biggest retcon of them all.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Even if you think Shanks' death glare was a foreshadowing for haki (it wasn't, death glares are a trope), Skypiea is where the argument falls apart because a thing (mantra) is established and then retroactively the continuity is altered to fit the new narrative. Which is the definition of retcon.

Also if half of the 7 warlords and the entirety of CP9 didn't use it then what's your excuse there.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
As a counterpoint: Enies Lobby is every single member of the crew gaining a new powerup out of nowhere with at most one line of explanation.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
It's weird they developed all new never before seen powers in the like 2 hour train ride to Enies Lobby but you can sort of wave that off and even understand how they'd develop such powers.

Then Zoro grows 2 heads.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to like it unconditionally.

https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1255270162208567297

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
This chapter makes me realize how little I care about any of Kaido's 74 named underlings who will not matter in 2 chapters.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Parrotine posted:

I'm sorta not on board with the eventh hour asspull of Kaidou having a son so late in the game here.

Here we are about to throw down and watch the fireworks factory blow up, then right as the straw hat armada is in the process of raiding the party it turns out that Kaido's got some hulking fucker of his own stashed away, with temper that causes the dragon man himself to raise an eyebrow, who will probably swoop down to give Luffy and the crew the business in an already turmulous situation to begin with.

Feels a bit cheap. You couldn't bring him into the plot a bit earlier Oda? Not during Act II somewhere, or maybe after Kaido and Big Mom threw down? Maybe he's saving him for some post-Wano action, I could get behind that a bit more.

lol didnt even realize this, he's katakuri 2

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Julias posted:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-marty-adelstein-updates-cowboy-bebop-one-piece-series

Status update on the development of the Cowboy Bebop and One Piece live action series.

Oh cool it's the guy behind the Snowpierecer tv show, which took an overt class warfare message and turned it into a cop show.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Big ups to both Apoo and Kidd for showing off their powers 12 years ago and then finally coming back and doing the exact same thing with them.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
My hot take is it's a three act play.

My hotter take is

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Julias posted:

I think that there's a decent chance Oda just re-wrote his original plans for how to reintroduce Neko and Marco into the arc. The implication at the beginning of Wano was that Marco couldn't come right away, so he wanted Neko to deliver a message to Luffy, which would imply Neko leaving first, but the fact that Marco arrived alongside Neko seems like a last minute switch-up. The note was probably just a dangling plot thread Oda wanted to close up.

It is so funny to see people still try and pull off "but what about "*generally vague statement made 2 years ago by a character who will never return*" when on this very same page we saw the creator olf the series go "Ya I use fan wikis to remember things cuz I'm dumb lol". Oda retcons poo poo and makes new things up all the time, doesn't make the series any less entertaining.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
New Chapter

Break next week

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Marco: He has a strange body

Marco again: He never sleeps

Dumbasses: its twins

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
https://twitter.com/onepiece_games/status/1275005959912468481

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
https://readjump.com/mangas/one-piece/984

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Oden was cool but a lot of the stuff he did felt like a huge waste of time (joining whitebeard, dancing for 5 years, etc)

brainSnakes posted:

Fisher Tiger is still the epitome of that to me, and a big part of why i’m such a fan of Jimbei being a Straw Hat.

Fisher Tiger being cool as poo poo is the reason I think Jinbe sucks rear end. He didn't do anything! And then he gets another flashback with the Otohime stuff, and hen STILL doesn't do anything! Dude just fails upwards.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1285773863956037637

tag yourself im backwards hand doflamingo

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Looks like aside from Oda they actually got a bunch of artists to do Line stickers from Kishimoto to Dreams Come True to the actual voice actors from the show. https://onepiece-line.com/

The official twitter has been showing off and retweeting some of them and some of them are already up on the Japanese Line store

Big fan of the one that uses the PS1 game models and the cringe compilation

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Yeah it's Japan only sadly so the site doesn't work on mobile.

oddium posted:

hey what's going on here

Those are a collab with GLAY (the j-rock band) hence why all the humans in that set look like members of the band. Admittedly I don't know much about them but judging from the fact that those are all animal characters its probably a mascot thing that doesn't translate very well to people not in the know.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Figure boxes are incredibly inconsistent for officially licensed products. Just ask my figures of Perhona, Boa Hankokku, and Rob Rucchi.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
The Marines are a subgroup of the Naval Corps. How do people not already know this???

TheLoneStar posted:

Speaking of Belo Betty, anyone else wish the introduction of the commanders of the Revolutionaries was more impressive? We've been waiting like fifteen years to see the higher-ups aside from Dragon and Sabo, and they take down a complete joke of a villain barely worth more than a high East Blue bounty. Doesn't make them seem very strong at all.
I was disappointed in the sense that this series has way too many characters as is and yet new ones keep getting introduced only to do nothing with them. These guys and the Scabbards have all been incredibly boring and one dimensional, and just when we get introduced to a bunch of high level Beast Pirates we spend half a chapter getting to know the rest of the Flying Six. Like gently caress dude remember Speed and Holdem and that one sumo guy who amounted to nothing? Remember when Law dropped that he had 15 other crewmembers? There are too many people to keep track of and maybe 10% of them are interesting.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
This is Jinbe's first color spread wit the rest of the crew. Hopefully his last too but oh well what can you do.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
It's very simple, Yamato : Oden :: Hank Venture : Batman

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Speaking of unfortunate panels, a friend of mine went to Japan last year and while they didn't read OP they knew I did and got me a souvenir.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
to clarify they didn't know what it said, didn't know the context, and only recognized it because of the artstyle

not that im complaining or anything it's just funny, it'd be like me saying hey man i saw this dragon ball shirt at the store and know how much you love that show check it out [picture of krillin seconds before exploding]

Ryaomon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 2, 2020

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Jinbe can't recreate the leg on the barrel scene with everyone else because he has tiny stupid legs and even if he got on a highchair has no goals, dreams or motivation anyway.

xxx
This meme brought to you by:

Garchu Gang

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

He wants to support Luffy that’s his whole thing he says it all the time

So does everybody else on the crew. As well as 80% of the supporting cast. Hell, Bartolomeo would have been a waaaay better addition to the crew.

xxx
This meme brought to you by:

Barto Club

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Punk Hazard does start the annoying trend of every arc having like 6 straight chapters of "the gang runs away from something"

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

Jack looks really sad on page 3. Like he's zoned out, not enjoying his job at all

The second half of the chapter was cool but the action in the first half felt drat near incomprehensible.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
That's a silly idea but would be worth it if Sabo died because he sucks.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Oda writes "Ace dies" in his rough draft and then a week later gets a check from merchandising and quickly writes below it "Ace 2????"

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Jinbe shocked to learn there may not be honor among pirates (because he's a stupid dumbass who sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
"This guy's explanation for abruptly wanting to be your ally is not good enough for me. Oh hey Robin whats up."