Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
My favorite subtle thing about this chapter was Kid's crew all adopting the habit of doing Killer's bizarre forced laugh to help him feel less isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Carrot is either going to join the crew, die, or have a big twist. There's no other reason for her to be around for so long. Oda is incredibly careful about his allocation of panels now and I don't believe he would waste the time he's spent on Carrot.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
The fact that Chopper invented a drug that appears to artificially awaken Zoans has really not come up at all in Wano yet. What the gently caress would Kaido do if he heard about the effects of the rumble balls?

Julias posted:

Given that chopper isn't a mink, but a regular animal that ate the human devil fruit, I think it's more likely that Monster point is actually his Awakened form, akin to the beasts that were in Impel Down.

I was about to say, it's obviously the Awakened form. It looks exactly the loving same as the awakened Zoans seen in Impel Down and the behavioral changes are completely in line.

Chopper completely awakened his devil fruit during the timeskip and nobody noticed.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
My personal theory is that the genetic treatment on Sanji worked a little bit better than anyone noticed at the time. We know the drug his mother gave him to counter it out doesn't work 100% because she tried it on his brothers and it didn't take at all. It didn't totally prevent the changes in Sanji, it just meant that rather than gaining powers and losing his emotions, he gained powers he can only use when he's incredibly emotional.

Literally every time we have seen Sanji use his fire powers, it's been associated with intense emotion. I don't think he's ever used Diable Jambe without being incredibly pissed off, and if he does that's only after he masters it. Hell Memories is explicitly about his anger setting him on fire.

At first I thought this wasn't as cool as Sanji having those powers without the treatment, but then I realized, if the above is true then Judge is a loving retard because he didn't actually have to do that to his children at all, his wife was right from the start and he could have avoided emotionally mutilating his children if he'd trusted her and dosed her drug himself. He also would have had stronger kids this way. He hosed everything up for no reason.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Funky Valentine posted:

If you're wondering how that dude's leg loving caught on fire holy poo poo that owns and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it's just a comic, I should really just relax.

I'm gonna post about One Piece in the One Piece thread. Sorry.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I think I've heard like 300 times in relation to Kuina that "fallen down the stairs" is a common euphemism for suicide in Japan. Is this actually bullshit? I always took that and Zoro's comment about her "running away from the promise" to be a strong implication.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Eiba posted:

Honestly, I love Sabo. His dumb steampunk hat is great, shut up.

But for real, the Revolutionaries are the best faction, and the fact that Luffy's brother and father are in that faction are clear indications that they're the best, and Oda is a low-key anarchist. I mean, "authority" is the clearest villain in One Piece, at least. And that's cool, and Sabo is a way more explicit "gently caress you, authority" than Ace was.

I'm not sure this is true. Oda despises corruption and abuse of power, but seems pretty happy with hierarchy itself. Alabasta and Dressrosa consist of Luffy showing up to defend/reinstate two hereditary monarchies. In Drum, as soon as Wapol's gone, they elect a new king on the spot. Luffy shuts Hody down in defense of the existing power structure.

It's pretty clear that the pirate lifestyle isn't supposed to be for everyone and that most people in the world are happy to be told what to do.

Also the guy has a net worth of 1/5th of a billion dollars. Just saying.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 5, 2020

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I love all Straw Hats.

Chopper and Ussop are Luffy's best friends, Zorro is more like Luffy's trusted business start-up partner.

Yeah their relationship has the exact vibe of long-term business partners who genuinely like each other. Same with Roger/Rayleigh.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Begemot posted:

Nah he's actually pretty bad at that.

People are always underestimating him and getting blindsided when he suddenly explodes with anger. Even the weakest enemies cannot tell that he's actually about to beat the poo poo out of them. This is basically the whole premise of the Jaya arc, where Bellamy is relentlessly bullying him and then gets completely destroyed in one punch.

Zoro, on the other hand, that dude has killing intent so strong he literally used to it to win that fight back in Punk Hazard.

Luffy doesn't have killing intent because he's the Taoist "Perfect Man". It's not a question of killing intent - volcanos and tsunamis don't have killing intent. Luffy is a force of nature - he's the man who'll be the Pirate King, not a petty Emperor.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Parrotine posted:

I'm sorta not on board with the eventh hour asspull of Kaidou having a son so late in the game here.

Here we are about to throw down and watch the fireworks factory blow up, then right as the straw hat armada is in the process of raiding the party it turns out that Kaido's got some hulking fucker of his own stashed away, with temper that causes the dragon man himself to raise an eyebrow, who will probably swoop down to give Luffy and the crew the business in an already turmulous situation to begin with.

Feels a bit cheap. You couldn't bring him into the plot a bit earlier Oda? Not during Act II somewhere, or maybe after Kaido and Big Mom threw down? Maybe he's saving him for some post-Wano action, I could get behind that a bit more.

Kaidou's son is absolutely guaranteed to be a disappointing loser. Guaranteed.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Scratchman Apoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3It7izNFnEg

I really love these videos, they almost make chapter-less weeks better :allears:

Please do not post Ohara Librarian Artur videos without a warning. They are very psychically painful for me and I do not wish to be reminded of him at this time.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Dressrosa seems to be the arc they show on endless repeat on children's TV in a lot of countries. I can't be bothered to do my research, but my default assumption would be that it's probably made more money than any other arc.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Fawf posted:

Not gonna lie for a second there I was pretty excited to watch a 30 minute cut of the Dressrosa arc

Unfortunately it's the OP followed by a single 28 minute scene of people running from the birdcage.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Fawf posted:

Believe was so good that I didn't mind it being the OP for what felt like 700 episodes

e: the original English eurobeat version is also very good

Wait it actually is a loving Eurobeat song? What?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Asuron posted:

Wait, what's happening to the forums.

I just read the stuff abou Lowtax, but are we also shutting down? I don't want this forum to close, this is the only good place to discuss anything because of how well it's moderated.

If it is closing though, it's been fun discussing this wonderful series with y'all. Thanks for all the nanomachine/ Blackbeard fetus theories.

It's not shutting down, this is at least the third woman Lowtax has beaten now and the people throwing a fit mysteriously forget about it every time.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Grouchio posted:

I highly doubt Oda knows what he's doing anymore

Who exactly do you think has a better idea?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

The buster call would be pretty useless in the face of kaidous dragon form. It's arguably the most powerful devil fruit for fighting at sea

Reminder that Shanks forced the Beast Pirates back in a sea battle somehow.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think this kind of hits the nail on the head. One Piece as a whole kind of has a childish nature about it, and Sanji is definitely the same. His antics come off as harmless "boys will be boys" sort of thing, which definitely doesn't fly nowadays. I think that it is worth noting that Oda has never really painted Sanji's antics in a particularly positive light, he's always called out for it and always punished for it, so at least the series isn't glorifying his actions or anything like that. Granted, none of the punishments are really meaningful in any way - Nami or whoever punches Sanji and calls him a jerk then life moves on and everyone forgets about it. So ultimately the text delivers the message that what Sanji does is bad, but not really majorly harmful. Like a kid stealing a cookie from a cookie jar or something - they'll get in trouble for doing it, but it's not worth seriously punishing them for it because ultimately it's harmless. Of course doing these sorts of things is NOT ultimately harmless, but Oda seems to think it is - or at least, is willing to portray it as such.

A part of me wonders how much control Jump editors have over the series, actually. It wouldn't be too terribly surprising if Jump put pressure on Oda to keep Sanji lecherous to appeal to the young boy demographic that the comic is popular with. Even with the juggernaut that was DBZ after the Frieza saga, there was pressure from the editors that heavily influenced how the Android and Cell sagas played out. It wouldn't surprise me if this may be the case here, since Whole Cake seemed to havea big focus on Sanji developing more as a character beyond that one aspect, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

The "doesn't fly nowadays" only applies in certain parts of the west. That viewpoint is a lot weaker in Japan and in general throughout the rest of the world. He just doesn't think Sanji's behaviour is as highly inappropriate as you do.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Cat Machine posted:

Only two more days till the chapter... Only two more days of Sanji posts...

Especially appropriate since it's (nonspecific future spoiler) a big one for Sanji.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Libra posted:

This sure is a hosed up thing that you just said.

There are parts of the world that aren't in America!

Carpator Diei posted:

First of all, Japan also has a feminist movement; this is not just a case of outside criticism (as your post seems to imply, at least by my reading). That Oda doesn't see that sort of behaviour as inappropriate is quite evident, but that doesn't mean he's justified in that assumption. Also, Sanji is quite an extreme case even by shonen manga standards.

You do understand that feminism is much less influential in Japan though, right?

I didn't say he was justified in his assumption at all.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Libra posted:

As a half-japanese person who is not even remotely American, I'm well aware!
What you said is still extremely hosed up and wrong!

I don't understand why you think it's extremely hosed up and wrong to observe that cultural norms differ, dude.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Guy A. Person posted:

I'd imagine what's hosed up is basically saying "misogyny is just more accepted in Japan" because it's kind of hand waving oppression as "different cultural norms". Also if in fact feminism is less influential in Japan (I honestly personally have no idea) that's a pretty bad thing overall

I don't think I've justified any of this at any point - my original post was in response to someone who seemed mystified at how Oda would feel it's acceptable to depict Sanji in this manner.

Feminism is drastically less influential in Japan, yes. Their gender gap in (for example) the workplace is huge.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Bleck posted:

weird that there's always some person who is Japanese or who lives in Japan and thinks that means that misogyny is okay or whatever

I don't think there is a single person in this thread who thinks that misogyny is okay.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Bleck posted:

maybe if you don't want people to think that you should be more careful when you present misogyny as a cultural artifact

I'd prefer to just communicate in good faith and assume others are doing the same, frankly.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

tbp posted:

oda's take on minority issues just baffles me at times tbh i can't really get a read on him. like i think we'd all agree he's hosed up a bit w/ the general way he portrayed sanjis timeskip, but at the same time, he also goes out of his way to show that the okamas are... probably the most consistently upstanding, accepting, morally right, good people in the series? like i dont understand why he fucks up in terms of physical presentation and cues and stuff but then also is pretty blatant in terms of saying "no i think these are the good guys and im a fan of expression in all forms" almost like he's contradicting himself

The initial depiction of okamas is pretty repugnant to us now, and pretty good by the standards of year-2000 era Japan. He's continuously introduced less awful depictions of all kinds of queerness as the series has gone on - from the newkamas all the way through to the Wano arc somehow having at least 1.5 reasonably depicted trans people in it.

Even now, Japan has no legally enshrined protections for sexual orientation and gender identity in the workplace at all. The majority of LGBT adults in Japan aren't out to anyone at work. It's really easy to poo poo on Oda for drawing a gross depiction of queer people in 2005, but it's also really easy to forget that this is an author with tremendous reach deliberately representing queer characters, who are at worst depicted as "bizarre but ultimately pure hearted".

He could certainly do a better job, but frankly he's taken more risks in his career to do the right thing than I have. This isn't a man being pressured to represent more and refusing to do so - this is a man including representation that goes way beyond what's normal for someone in his position, and depicting it badly because he's doing so in relative isolation.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Communicating in good faith means being genuine in expressing your thoughts, not something like giving people the benefit of the doubt.

fwiw I think the intent of your first post was obvious from the context. If there's anything in it I object to it's probably that it undersells attitudes against misogyny and sexism in places that aren't "the west."

I know what "good faith" means - I think you've misunderstood what I meant by it.

My point is that caveating any mention of something unpleasant or controversial with "By the way I do not endorse this" is not something I would do if I was interacting with others I trusted under sincere conditions - the "good faith" here is not assuming that we're all secret bigots trying to play some insane overton-window-shifting game. Indeed, if I did think anyone in this thread was like that, I'd be posting elsewhere.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Last Celebration posted:

Not to wildly change the subject or anything, but does anyone else suspect that Zoro beat Mihawk already? I kinda have the insane theory that he already did it and the eye scar was from their apocalyptic fight and that he just hasn’t bothered to bring it up because lording it over Sanji is beneath him.

It would explain how he’s been curbstomping the new world...

I fully agree. Oda has deliberately avoided putting an upper limit on Zoro since the timeskip. I think he beat Mihawk but feels he did so unfairly.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

jassa posted:

And trans men, like Yamato!

Uh what? You can't be half-trans. Unlike gender itself, being cis or trans is literally a binary. Trans means "not cis".

I am aware of this. It was a joke poking fun at the tendency of the fanbase to dispute whether one or both characters are "really trans".

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a point in the Bionicle books where a character uses their fire power to absorb all the heat in a room, freezing everything solid, and it owned.

Clearly we've been too long without a chapter, this is a whole new one even for this thread.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
New chapter spoiler: I can't believe Big Mom is loving dead.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I don't think Crocodile was a bump as much as Luffy was a total monster from the start. Luffy is at pretty much the same raw physical power level from the start of the series through to early Water 7. There are no training arcs, he learns new moves but that's all experiential/finesse stuff.

Literally nobody poses a serious threat to Luffy in a straight fight until Crocodile apart from Arlong, an ex Grand-Line pirate from a world class crew. Luffy was pretty much at the bottom of the Shichibukai power grade from the start.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Viridiant posted:

I have a theory that someday after One Piece ends we're going to look back at Skypiea and realize that it was the entirety of One Piece's plot in one arc.

I'm not basing this on anything other than me really liking Skypiea and how it perfectly distills One Piece down to its best elements.

That's just outright true, IMO. You don't even need to see the ending. It encapsulates the overall themes of the show better than any other segment of the story does in isolation. If someone told me they wanted to experience One Piece before they died but only had a month to live, I'd tell them to read the Skypiea arc.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

its a great arc and it always surprises me people still don't like it

I think the problem is that it comes at a point where you've very hungry to find out more about the world. Spending all that time without learning anything about the marines, fruits, etc, is kind of frustrating for the first-time reader.

This is like anathema to a lot of people, but I've encouraged a few first-time readers to skip Skypiea initially and then read it during the timeskip or after catching up as if it were a flashback. It works much better positioned later in the series.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
1. "Help me! Sogeking!" vs Perona
This is frequently overlooked but it's the payoff to Usopp's entire character arc up to that point and it owns unbelievably. Usopp is so cool.

2. Luffy meets Blackbeard for the first time
This scene is incredible as a character introduction for a villain, maybe one of the best ever. On the first read through, it's framed as an interaction with a random drunk moron at first - it's only towards the end of the scene that the vibe gets dark. Blackbeard begins talking about "the road to the top" to Luffy directly in a very knowing sense, stares Luffy down, rants at him - and Luffy does not say a single word. He listens to Blackbeard and then he spins on his heel and walks away. Zoro obviously senses exactly what Luffy is sensing, and both of them refuse to elaborate to Nami about what just happened.

Luffy and Zoro totally just realized that they would one day have to outright kill this guy. No more to be said to him. They're pirates. This scene establishes an incredible amount about both Blackbeard and Luffy using a relatively tiny amount of language. It's sublime.

3. Nami asks Luffy for help vs Arlong
Doesn't need explanation

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Jose posted:

Are luffys poops also rubber

Luffy's sweat, saliva, and blood are all apparently normal fluids, so I don't see any reason why bodily waste would be any different. Furthermore,

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Tir McDohl posted:

Wait, I thought his blood is rubber when its in his body at least, I thought that was part of how Gear 2nd worked?

Nah, his blood vessels are made of rubber and he uses this to circulate blood around his body enormously fast and increase his blood pressure to what would normally be a lethal level, meaning his cells get like 10x the oxygen and can all operate way beyond normal limits. Presumably this only works because his lung tissue is also, made of rubber. (How did that happen?)

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I think as of 2011 over 80% of One Piece's readership were adults with a median age of like 28, and unless Oda has been shielding himself from all of Shonen Jump's internal market research for the past ten years he is presumably aware of this information.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Funky Valentine posted:

This is it, yeah. The story is literally Oda's editor popping his head in asking for new characters and Oda making GBS threads out the non-Strawhat Supernovas in the span of a week.

Law being stupidly popular is what got Oda to pencil him in for a key role in the New World and basically made him an auxiliary Strawhat.

It's even more insane, he designed them all in "under three hours".

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Maybe instead of Oda switching to a digital release we could make his life easier by just having a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

EmmyOk posted:

Tbh I don’t think there is enough non spoiler readers. I mean for the scans anyway, rather than the blog post style ones. Though I don’t think I normally see them this early in the week

They're getting earlier because there's a new leaker who puts written spoilers out on the Monday now. Maybe a decent compromise would be to stop posting the early, pre-dropping-of-the-raw spoilers in here at least.