Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Based on the apparent clothing on the legs of the Flying Six, I think they will be leather-clad like King and one of them is a samurai. I also think they'll be under King's direct authority as similar flying Zoans.

Comedy option: they're just a bunch of pairs of legs that cut off above the camera angle like the parents from Cow and Chicken.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

Absolom's dead OP

He was thrown into Arlong's dungeon.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Philosopher King posted:

I read the manga now but the early one piece episodes did some playing with the idea of the whole punch cutaway sound effect guys on the ground combo that you see when they don't want to trigger censors but kinda quickly moved away from it.

I'm not sure what this is referring to. :confused: Do you have a video clip as an example you could show that highlights this?

Begemot posted:

I vaguely remember him saying in SBS one time that he originally planned to end the series after Crocodile. Like, Baroque Works was gonna be the big final enemy, but it just didn't work out that way. Sometimes Oda plans stuff out years advance, sometimes he backfills connections, sometimes he just makes up new stuff and adds it in, and it's all fine!!

I remember it as Oda saying he already had the Yonkou mapped out and that it would have been a lot quicker going from Grand Line to facing the Yonkou, but he kept filling out details in between like the Shichibukai that kept delaying things out more and more.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

alkanphel posted:

Yeah I think that's probably because the Yonkou are more integral to the main plot line while the Shichibukai are just supplementary to the main plot.

I do not think it was an accident that Alvida - the first named pirate Luffy faces off against - and Kaidou both wield a spiked club as their main weapon. It's a nice poetic bookend.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just remembered Aokiji is working for Blackbeard now, most likely as a double agent.

Does this mean we'll eventually get a rematch between Aokiji and the Straw Hats? If so, I'd expect an explicit callback to Long Ring Long Island and how Luffy and co. have grown since then.

E:

Brother Entropy posted:

predicting that luffy and shanks' reunion will be a mere 300 chapters later :discourse:

To be fair, Oda probably thought the same thing when he wrote that first chapter.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I've been rereading some of the early One Piece chapters, and they explicitly mention about needing to do a background check with Coby because of pirates secretly wanting to join the Marines as spies. I wonder if Oda eventually wanted to use that as a plot point that early on ie Vergo?

Besides, how did Vergo hide his ties to the Doflamingo Family? Did they ever mention that?

E:

Obviously Shanks and Buggy are here, but did Oda ever use any of these other character designs? The one in green looks cool. Pretty interesting to see how things have changed since the early days.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 23, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One Piece 978 in French :france:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

limeicebreakers posted:

Nami had a good outfit for like two chapters and this immediately happened

Yeah, I just feel like Oda's been pretty horn dog lately. If not him, then the anime for sure especially with Sanji where it gets downright creepy. :sigh:

Still, I'm pretty excited that we've finally landed at Onigashima proper! :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The Flying Six are the what of the Hundred Beasts? It's hard to make out because of the image quality.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RatHat posted:

So Black Maria’s horns look real. Is she the same species as Kaido/the numbers?

Also Sasaski looks like a former Sun pirate. Guess he’ll be who Jinbe fights.

I don't know if the horns are real or not, but I'm definitely a fan of her design. :heysexy:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RealFoxy posted:

I hope this becomes Marineford done better, because there were SO many interesting people there but I was still almost anime-exclusive at the time and it was just hours of marines running and Luffy having a shocked face. This has the potential to be the biggest fight since then and Marine Ford started 11 years ago

Please don't remind me how old I am now... :negative:

I remember going apeshit over seeing Marineford animated in college...

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm guessing the Numbers won't be fully revealed until the actual battle is underway, and it will be an awesome two-page spread of just an army of Awakened pseudo-Zoan users.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 27, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Just out of curiosity, what do people rate as their best and worst arcs of One Piece as a whole?

I'd say for me that Marineford is the best while Fishman Island is the worst. Marineford had blow after blow of awesome moments and reveals - especially the upset of actually killing off a major character after making it a rule that nobody dies outside of a flashback - while Fishman Island was kind of underwhelming after literally years of anticipation and hype. The subversive commentary on prejudice and racial hatred was still pretty great, though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Spanish Matlock posted:

SMILEs are zoan fruits, the human human fruit is a zoan fruit. What's the chance that we see a human gifter in this arc? "Man man, the human SMILE user"

I would love to see this in an SBS Corner with a sarcastic ugly drawing by Oda.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ryaomon posted:

Just because you like something doesn't mean you have to like it unconditionally.

https://twitter.com/bugliker/status/1255270162208567297

Could someone please rehost the image on imgur or somewhere else? The Twitter link is broken for me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Any idea if the new chapter will drop soon? Apparently there were rumblings of early spoilers on Wednesday then they suddenly stopped. I'm itching for a new release. :f5:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
There were also those two Buggy Pirates underlings Luffy and Zoro ran across and beat up leading them to the village Buggy was destroying with his Muggy Ball.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Well, looks like it's that time again - set up an elaborate plan only for Luffy to immediately ruin everything in the best way possible. Even the other Straw Hats know this by now lol Jimbei has some catching up to do.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crosspeice posted:

Kaido: I'm keeping Yamato and that's final!
Linlin: You'll regret this!!!

[20 years later]

Kaido: Yamato you useless gently caress go back to your mother.
Yamato: no
Kaido: I regret this!!!

:lol:

Libra posted:

A genetic offspring between Big Mom and Kaido would actually be the scariest thing alive.
Just an invincible rampaging meat cube, possibly with a propensity for drunken cannibalism.

edit: I am also hoping that he sucks. It's simply the best possible option.

Just spitballing here, but what if Edward Weevil is somehow a rejected offspring between Big Mom and Whitebeard and that's how he ended up in the care of his current granny?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:18 on May 14, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
For those who know Japanese: when referring to the Straw Hat Pirates, I've heard Mugiwara no Ichimi (?) and Mugiwara no Kaizokudan. What is the difference?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cat Machine posted:

Will be really cool if the key to beating Scratchman is just putting some earplugs in (and Luffy might still have his from WCI!) - feels like a long time since Oda had the crew beat a baddie through something other than willpower/brute force.

Yeah, I agree with this theory. As long as you can hear the sound waves within range, you can be hit. This would explain how Kizaru, an intangible Logia Devil Fruit-user, was able to be affected by Apoo without the use of Haki all the way back on Sabaody Island.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jose posted:

so we're getting close to the big 1000 what do people think will be in it? the rest of the world learning about kaidou and big mams loss?

Vegapunk reveal. Calling it now.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baron La Croix posted:

Urouge is the only character in One Piece who canonically likes to gently caress, per SBS

Oh come on, you can't say that and not give a source.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

HerraS posted:

Gangster Gastino keeps cheating at Catan

Collect wheat or face defeat, Gastino has his priorities straight.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(pounding fists against the table) Vegapunk! Vegapunk! Vegapunk!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was kind of expecting them to get crushed at some point, particularly the samurai, and as much as Luffy can hit harder now after the prison training, it definitely feels like he needs another power up like awakening to power through. What is anyone meant to do about Kaido throwing a giant fireball at them, or Big Mom's sun? If Luffy can turn them to rubber and bounce them back, then maybe...

I feel like Luffy will learn Awakening and whatever else is the endgame potential for his Devil Fruit before encountering Blackbeard, if only to highlight Luffy's strength after having all of his abilities taken away and having to rely on his fists and Haki alone against Blackbeard's overwhelming advantage. Essentially, "can Luffy still win even with one hand tied behind his back?"

And it will be spectacular. Just imagining Blackbeard coming at him with a fist full of earthquakes and whatever other Devil Fruit abilities he's stolen by then, and Luffy just going no. I could very well see Kaidou dying and Blackbeard swooping in to steal his Oni/Dragon Devil Fruit ability to complete the Paramecia/Logia/Zoan trifecta or having dozens upon dozens of different Devil Fruits absorbed and turning into some crazy Tetsuo-esque abomination.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 15, 2020

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If you like being surprised, then I absolutely recommend not looking up spoilers for the next chapter, because hooooooly shiiiiiit. :stare::stare::stare:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One Piece Chapter 985 (French)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Warden posted:

When you said rough, you really weren't kidding. That was obviously translated from French by someone who is not very good at English.

Yeah, it's got that "Bisoromi Bear" vibe to it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I also see it as payback for the bad taste Kaidou has had in his mouth from Orochi all of these years ever since the old hag spoiled his fight with Oden.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

It would become an enlightened dog.

"We are all good boys."

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Blaze Dragon posted:

EDIT: Here, examples.

These are apparently 'webp' files so they won't show up on my phone. Are these supposed to be image files? :confused:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

rannum posted:

sometimes you get so enraptured at the idea of drawing a brachiosaurus head butting a giant rampaging pirate (but not a Giant pirate) that you forget the small details

It's this. :hai:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Yes, finally! I've been waiting eagerly for the battle against Kaidou to kick off properly, let's do this! :dance:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AtomikKrab posted:

I am Kidds "THIS IS TOTALLY WORTH IT" face while he is strangling apuu

Is that Apoo, though? It just looks like some random mook to me.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bisse posted:

Im good with not seeing every single battle. The overall plot is much more interesting and the major fights are usually more enjoyable anyway. Ive been happy with the small skirmishes in Wano were a lot of encounters are just a 1-2 page clash and then moving on. There have been enough heavier fights as is.

The chapters are much easier to digest when reading weekly. Caught up on a few weeks worth of chapters and uh, if you dont pause there is just soo much poo poo going on, and characters bouncing in and out, its a system shock if you dont pause between chapters to absorb whats going on.

Man, I'm just imagining Marineford Part 2: Electric Boogaloo.

There's going to be so many callback characters showing up it'll be insane. It'll be like that part at the beginning of Marineford where they're naming off Whitebeard's New World allies like Thunder McGuy and the Decalvan Brothers etc, but this time it will be Straw Hat allies we've all gotten to know over time and it will be awesome.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm kind of confused as to what was happening on the last page of the latest chapter: who is the one speaking in the thought/flashback bubbles about "surrendering your name"? And why did Kaidou suddenly get distracted by a vision of Oden thus letting himself get stabbed by the Nine Red Scabbards? Is it all because of Kaidou having flashbacks to when Oden made his final assault and history repeating itself?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

ThingOne posted:

"Surrender your name" is part of the sunacchi battle cry that's come up a few times this arc. The Red Scabbards are basically saying they're going beat Kaido or die trying and yeah, their all-or-nothing attack is reminding him of Oden.

I know what it means, I'm just trying to figure out who exactly is saying/thinking it, usually that style of speech bubble is the "Voice of All Things" kind of deal. Are they all thinking it collectively?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tbp posted:

i can't really agree with this. him having the mobility of being a rubber man was vital in wci

For all the faults of Dressrosa, it was really satisfying to see Luffy snap Doffy's puppet strings.

E: just as a reminder, which act are we in wrt to the Wano act structure?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Julias posted:

That was Sulong Neko/Cat Viper

It was a pun. Sulong = so long. :ssh: