Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Maybe the reason all these generally not good people who probably have no respect for things like Trans rights and identification call Yamato as Kaido's son because Yamato will beat them up if they don't.

Which would be doubly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Vise the Stompy posted:

The best* (with a very asterix behind it because actual best would be the character never having gone this direction post Thriller Bark) we can take the viewpoint after the context given from Wholecake Island it is very clear Sanji has psychologically very damage views on gender born from trauma and coping with it. His early life was abusive and it was born from failing to live up to a very toxic masculinity ideal (physical strong, violent, not showing emotions). What he liked doing would be considered a feminine activity in many cultural and he was made fun of for it. The only people who showed any kindness prior to his escape and the cause of his freedom were all women.

When he finally finds a positive male roll model that man further instills in him that idea that there is a line between men and women that you don't cross (with both good and bad intent in it. Good because there is some idea of respect behind it but also bad because its a self imposed line in Zeff's case cause he recognizes he cant stop being violent even to people he mentors so he just cuts out women being chefs in his kitchen rather than deal with his own self control)

So from all this positive and negative feedback Sanji has put his ideal of women so high up on a pedestal that in many cases he stops seeing them as people. It would be nice if something could ground Sanji's viewpoint but I doubt Oda is ever going to provide that character development. The best we can hope for is maybe post Wano having done the Stealth Black "gag" we don't play around with this brand of Comedy anymore.

I mean you could kind of interpret it this way but I don't think that's what's going on. Sanji's a pervert because Oda thought he'd be funny as a pervert. His actions towards women isn't about some toxic masculinity background that Oda likely hadn't fleshed out back when he created the character as a womanizer. We already got Sanji's big backstory arc and it doesn't change his behavior or views on women at all. He is what he is and that's likely not changing at this point. Which is a shame because if he wasn't such a creepo Sanji would probably be my favorite of the crew.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I don't imagine Sanji could fight one of the disasters solo. Luffy was barely able to beat Katakuri and I imagine they're in the same ballpark. It'll probably be some team up fights.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

tbp posted:

it doesn't even make sense bc the scabbards are all explicitly supposed to be strong as hell with some around the level of the emperor commanders and they're fighting 9v1 and loving furious and we all know there's going to be a moment where kaido goes "i acknowledge you" or some poo poo and beasts out on them still to come but for now i feel the same catharsis they do with every hit

Yeah. I mean we know Dog and Cat can stalemate one of his Commanders without their moon power up, after all. It's not weird that a giant group of Supernova level fighters can fight Kaido.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Considering King's outfit he might also be powered by horny.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Human form x human = human with some dragon horns

Also half dragon kids are a staple of fantasy anyhow sooooo

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I'd have really liked it if we had a King and Queen vs Zoro and Sanji showdown in the finale. Looks like Sanji is stuck a tier below though. I imagine Jinbei will get one of the two big, non-kaido fights if it's not a group effort to take them down.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The second you make a spoiler thread, the first thing that will happen is people will mix up the threads and post all the spoilers in the non spoiler thread and everyone in the non spoiler thread will get mad.

This will happen at least once a month.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I mean Blackbeard is obviously a lategame obstacle but...are we even sure he's a bigger threat than Kaido or Big Mom? Dude was helpless against Whitebeard, not like getting a super powerful fruit extra fixed that. I suppose he's the nega-Luffy and has progressed in power similarly but still. I don't think there's any single threat bigger than Kaido or Big Mom...just equal and coming from a different angle. Or maybe more of them (Admirals, Evil Old Guys).

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Wachter posted:

I know the dumbest thing to do with OP is overanalyse it, but Robin should be able to effortlessly body anyone who isn't a Logia. I don't care how much bullshit stuff you can spawn or how many lasers you shoot, there are now infinite arms growing out of your spine and folding you into a tiny ball

She receives damage done to those arms. A poisonous spider bite, someone just really strong able to break/damage some of the arms growing on them. Both seem like likely options with Maria. It's a really strong power with a very tricky drawback

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, (technically not spoilers but spoiler-adjacent)only like half of Zoro’s preskip fights were handicaps, unless we’re counting him needing to git gud against Mihawk and Mr. 1. Plus there’s a difference between Zoro finding new and inventive ways to give his enemies a fighting chance and Robin just using the manga version of instant death magic to clown on everything and having to write around that, which was more my point.

Like the Flash in the Justice League always getting punked because how are you going to make anything a threat when “moves at the speed of sound” is the guy you’re fighting against?

Flash is way stupider than that.

Wachter posted:

Yeah but the spider lady's poison bite can't do poo poo if the arms have grown out the back of her neck and oh gently caress she's already paraplegic. That's what I mean about not overanalysing it, the kind of broken stuff Robin could do with that power isn't really in keeping with the tone of One Piece

I mean, she has to be strong enough to break Maria's back. She's a super powerful ancient zoan user, their entire thing is physical superiority. Do you think she could just break Kaido's back? No, because he's really freaking strong. It's not an unstoppable power when it's still based on physical capability and you're dealing with heavy hitters in the new world. And there's other things, like Observation Haki letting them see Robin about to grow arms on their back and smacking them away before they get a grip or something. It's not even close to an insurmountable power.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Bleck posted:

reminder: spider bites are not poisonous, they are venomous

I operate on DnD terms where all damage like that is classified as poison damage, thank you.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 28, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sanji did find a way to beat a woman in a fight.

He asked his good friend Nico Robin to come beat Maria up for her.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

I wonder how broken Robin + Haki would be.

Instakilling Logias all over the world.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Maybe it'll turn out good instead of bad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

It feels like everyone can fly around now and destroy islands sometimes. How big was pica

Pica was big but that's just his fruit. Anyone who can take out a mountain can take him out and that's well below Whitebeard level stuff.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 12, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Siliziumleben posted:

it's Oden's twin brother, Boden

Broden.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Survivor has the unusual status of a Reality Show of actually being good sometimes so it stuck pretty hard. Also that early trend setter staying power.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah it's a bit weird considering Blackbeard definitely seemed a tier below Whitebeard given their interaction at Marineford. But if Luffy is gonna take down Mom or Kaido that seems to already be in that Whitebeard tier.

But OP isn't always about power levels and, hell, Blackbeard could've gotten stronger over the timeskip too.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

tbp posted:

he was unprepared for magellans strength absolutely, but it didn't betray a stark lack of knowledge about the world IMO

The Blackbeard v Magellan Encounter is one of the bigger headscratchers in the Power Level chat. You'd think the guy who stomped Ace and is a threat to Shanks would just way outclass Magellan regardless of Magellan's fruit (doubly so with the Darkness Fruit). It's not like Magellan was way out of Luffy's tier physically. Like I know he was basically the strongest person there but not Emperor strong.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 13, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Pretty sure Magellan is supposed to be stronger than Ace. Remember that Jimbei, who stalemated against Ace, had to run away from Magellan just like everybody else.

Still doesn't explain it. Blackbeard was someone Shanks was cautious of before he got the Darkness fruit.

ThingOne posted:

With what we've learned about haki recently I'm starting to think that the reason the WG can't seem to field anyone capable of beating an Emperor 1v1 is because anyone willing to join the navy and put up with the World Nobles' bullshit lacks the "gently caress you, fight me" attitude necessary to reach the top in the first place.

Magellan's fruit is like Sugar's; if they can catch you by surprise with it it's an instant win no matter how strong you are.

I know. I mean the rather hapless Mr. 3 frustrated him because fruits can do that sometimes but considering Blackbeard's presumed threat level Magellan should be a walkover if he just...used his own fruit.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah he was kind of "poisoning" stone to the point where it deteriorated.

tbp posted:

i had always figured magellan was around the admirals tbh

If he was Admiral level people couldn't elude him. Maybe he's mastered his fruit to a high level and that makes him dangerous in and of itself but the admirals wouldn't need their fruits to take out Impel Down era Luffy.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I mean we know Ace had Haki and Teach was catching his punches like nothing. Seems unlikely that he'd be doing that without his own Haki, Darkness fruit or no.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I really like how the Otama interaction with Mom harkens back to the very first thing we learned about how Big Mom runs her pirate empire: If you give her the food you have and she likes it she will befriend and protect you. A nice little bit of character consistency contrasting the horrible mob boss she is.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Super Rad posted:

I realize that this was already discussed during her vivre card reveal as a quirk of the Japanese language, but I'm suddenly concerned that the presence of a character with a "female heart" in Kiku and a character with a "male heart" in Yamato in the same location as Law will lead to some simple body swap hijinks to neatly wrap up and completely sidestep all the representational issues that the characters bring up which would be a huge shame since Oda has actually been killing it so far, relatively speaking.

We're talking about a manga where a supporting character can literally change peoples' sex.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

poop paramecia

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

i am tim! posted:

I mean, the Snot Fruit guy turned out to be a Paramecia type, so I am gonna bet that the Pee-Pee Fruit might be, too.

But then the question is, do they just get the power to pee endlessly or exude pee from every pore?

Logias seem to need to be kind of elemental or whatever. The Pee Pee fruit and Poo Poo fruit would definitely be Paramecias.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

The reason Blackbeard can have more than one fruit is he isn't a person, merely one of Kanjuro's paintings.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Great Sanji moment. I am of course talking about him using Zoro as a bludgeon.

I have no idea what the gently caress is happening in his rotisserie attack though lol can anyone dumb it down for me.

Sanji kicked Queen so hard that his giant brontosaurus neck started spinning like a pinwheel. This giant spinning head/neck combo blocked all the candy arrows. Like the typical anime trope where you spin a staff to block a bunch of bullets.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Parrotine posted:

What I want to know is how he is still around to begin with, Zeus is literally a piece of Big Mom's soul that she has complete dominion over, it's not exactly something that he has any say in the matter with :confused:

Look man sometimes you can't control yourself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Starsfan posted:

I don't know man.. I just can't accept that Oda is going to put Yamato back under Kaido's domination. Yamato's arc so far has all been leading up to this moment where he can emancipate himself from his father's control which has been exerted over him his entire life. Having Yamato get rolled by Kaido and need to have Luffy come swooping in to save him just doesn't make any narrative sense to me. I think that would be an awful result for his story.

Of course almost by definition Luffy will come swooping in to save the day eventually, but I really do expect Yamato will fight credibly agianst Kaido and in some sense earn a victory over his dad. a distinguishing factor here is of course that the Zoan's are pretty much defined by their legendary endurance and toughness. If we are looking at the standard "Luffy / Zoro need 30 minutes to get back on their feet!" scenario, I will bet that Yamato is up to the task.

I'm calling it that Yamato is going to put a wound in Kaido just like Oden and Luffy's final victory will be exploiting it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

So Nami, Luffy, Zorro, and Sanjin were all adopted or raised by mentors that weren't family by blood. That is insanely cool.

One Piece is wholly reliant on the Found Family trope and it's good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gyges posted:

The Super Soldier Serum was explicitly a failure on him though.

His mind and body were always true to his perverted cook heart.

Maybe a failure on the level that his dad wanted but Sanji might've always just been a slightly worse superhuman in exchange for being a much better human.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Yeah he was fighting 2 dudes on the same level as him AND Perospero was gunning for him too while he sprayed the area with arrows. Peros might not be Commander tier but he's only like one step below.

He was also holding off Big Mom for awhile and used his power to stop/slow down the plague while Chopper worked. Marco's been all over the place.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Every Strawhat has a way to be funny. Unfortunately, Sanji got saddled with the lame pervert one that's so ubiquitous in manga.

Which sucks because Sanji being a simp having a background in his sister and mother treating him with love while all his male influences hated and abused him is really solid character building to play into the Johnny Bravo gag scenes. But, of course, Oda plays off wanting to invisibly spy on women while they're naked as a gag so now Sanji sucks for that, despite every other part of his character having stronger character building than any other Strawhat.

Sanji should be the best character but he won't be until he actually does have a significant love interest and can throw away the pervert gag. Not sure it'll ever happen. Maybe when he encounters the invisible fruit again Oda will have Sanji will have his big walkback moment on his previous ideals. It'd be nice.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I mean a lot of folks were suspicious of how Yamamoto's gender was going to be handled when he originally introduced himself and the why of his transgender identity. He wants to be Oden, Oden is a man, he wants to be referred to as a man. I guess the question becomes, if Yamamoto no longer wants to be Oden, will he want to be referred to as a woman at that point? Conviction based gender fluidity?

Yamamoto's always been a weird case, doubly so with Kaido of all characters wanting to respect Yamamoto's pronouns despite the reason for it being...Yamamoto idolizing the man Kaido hates the most. The entire situation is wonky. Less so than Kiku who uses the transgender Japanese euphemisms or the Newkama who are based on a kind of stereotypical transgender woman trope in Japan.

It won't be a surprise if, when this is all over with, Yamamoto passes on the idea of being the new Oden to Momonosuke and starts going by she/her, which, sure, respect someone's pronouns any way they go. That said, if Yamamoto still prefers to be called he/him when this arc is resolved then that'd be really cool. It's perfectly possible that idolizing a man in Oden is the how of Yamamoto coming to terms with his gender identity rather than just emulation.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 1, 2021

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Seems weird that Kaido would care about the political fidelity of a country he took over through brute force but, hey, maybe so.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Yamato is cool regardless. He would just be cooler as a proud transgender man/genderfluid person.

The political gender thing does assuage my skepticism/disappointment a little more. If it's legitimately just a reference to feudal Japanese politics in Wano, the Feudal Japanese Magic Island, then that does make a sort of sense outside of the transgender visibility. And it wouldn't surprise me if Oda was completely blind to the fact that Yamato and Kaido both making those statements were beacons to trans and trans supporting folks and their interest in representation.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Did Oda make a bunch of racist comics, and then quietly take the site down when called on it and never responded to the criticisms?

(Hussie was s_o on the Team Special Olympics comics page.)

This is a complete loving crazy off topic tangent and pretty loving awful so let's not do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Parrotine posted:

We're all clamoring for a Kaidou flashback but we conveniently forget that he's already appeared in two so far. TBH does Kaido really need a flashback? I'm sort of ok with him being a rampaging human meat cube for now, even though I wouldn't mind seeing Oda giving him a Big Mom level backstory.

A lot of Kaido's backstory should play into Rocks.