Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

This is the thread where we will learn more about big hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

UnderFreddy posted:

I'm rewatching the Marineford arc, and something kind of interesting is that Garp really wanted Ace and Luffy to become marines. But from the way events go, would it ever have been possible for those two to become high-ranking marines? Wouldn't they still have been executed or jailed once people like Akainu figured out their origins? With the "absolute justice" and all that?

At the very least, I imagine Luffy would be okay for the same reason Garp is. I guess unless Garp is fine for legacy reasons.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I was re-reading one piece and this scene, in light of the most recent flashback, ooof:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I recently re-read Punk Hazard for the first time and I struggle to understand the point of Zoro's fight. Tashigi was completely right in that, from her perspective, Zoro doesn't want to cut down women. Which is antithetical to Zoro as a character. The idea of freaking out a logia so much they can't even reconstitute is cool, but it defeats the purpose of the fight.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I'm kinda with that. Stampede was the most fan-servicey one yet and while I wouldn't say it's awful or anything, my ideal One Piece movie is just an animated short story collection based on the colour spreads or something. Just show the crew hanging out and having a good time.

This doubly works as an addendum to the manga because we haven't gotten a full crew party since, uh, ending of punk hazard I guess.

I realize at the end of the day One Piece is a shounen rear end story so everything has to end up with a fight, but the movies are starting to feel pretty contrived with antagonist power creep and how they magically are super powerful and deeply ingrained in the lore but have also been entirely unmentioned in the manga.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

You check it out yourself just pencil in a quick <checks notes> two and a half hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxWwqvwBkA

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Queen absolutely rules and I love how actually competent he was in dealing with Big Mom at Udon.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://m.imgur.com/a/gbR1oub

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

TheLoneStar posted:

Don't Zoans in general have a bit of a healing factor?

Awakened zoans are said to have incredibly good recovery, among other things like stamina and endurance, so maybe that's kicking in here?

I like the idea of that just being an innate passive to Zoan-types, since they can kinda be underwhelming.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

1. Nami's cry for help into the march to Arlong Park
2. Farewell to Vivi
3. "I want to live"

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

i loving love one piece

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I think also the four boys were modified in the womb, though it didn't take with Sanji because of his mother, but I.. think Reiju was modified after she was already born? She still has all her emotions I think, though she also can't disobey her father? It's a little unclear.

I believe this is correct, and in addition she still retains her morality as a result as well.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

You can so obviously tell that Oda has a blast drawing all the hosed up headliner designs. They're all all so insane that it perfectly compliments Oda's habit of introducing a billion jobbers at any given time.

Glad to see some progress on the Yamato front. He's quickly become one of my favourite aspects of this raid and I just want to see what happens more and more.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Legit question: If Kaido's hobby is trying to kill himself, why doesn't he just jump into the ocean. If he's a devil fruit user he'd just sink and drown right? Or am I missing something?

I think this chapter, while translations weren't perfect, elucidated exactly why Kaido doesn't just do that. He wants a glorious death that will cement his place in history across the entire world, exactly as Roger and Whitebeard did.

This further contextualizes what he said when he first heard of Whitebeard's death, "So you've finally gone and done it" or something like that. At first, we thought that it was just he finally gone and died just as Kaido wanted to. But now it's evident that he finally went and cemented his death for the entire world to witness and behold. This would explain why he was stockpiling tons of smiles to start a gigantic world war, theoretically in attempt to either conquer everything or die in a blaze of glory.

Admittedly, this doesn't exactly explain why Kaido's introduction had him jumping off a sky island in an attempted suicide, but I guess that's also a pretty metal way of going too so whatever.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

XkyRauh posted:

Please forgive my ignorance: Didn't Chopper eat the Human Human fruit?

He did, but Zoan fruits can come in different "models".

For example, Sengoku ate the human human fruit model Buddha

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

No chap this week

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Yamato is gonna be a loving T-Rex and it's gonna rule

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I really liked Whole Cake Island as a whole for him but good golly I wish it was written such that he'd stay monogamous with Pudding.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I'm just glad it wasn't Sanji making horndog faces cause he wanted to peep, but instead thought that a woman was genuinely in danger. I thought it was an okay character moment, but we'll see how it goes with Black Maria.

That Zoro moment was super great and made such a good pay off for him weirdly mucking around with mooks for the last 4 or so chapters.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I really, really like this chapter. So much good dialogue and needed information rounding out the scenes.

Yamato's mini-flashback was oddly touching to me for as short as it was. I feel like a dweeb because they're such a late addition to the arc but I want them to join the crew so badly. Though, because they have Oden's journal and thus the secret to like, everything, that makes me doubt a bit. Unless I have that mistaken?

And now we know why Whitebeard didn't march on Wano at all. Seeing Ace again was surprisingly nostalgic.

If Kaido's loving fruit is a koi that transformed into a dragon because of Wano's waterfall, lol Oda.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Lord_Magmar posted:

... Usopp ... giving reports of the surrounding sea, so on and so forth.

This is clearly Carrot's job :colbert:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

Haven't watched the anime recently (besides 957 of course) but I do love posting this clip because holy lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy38zns_6BE

I like, refuse to believe this is real because holy poo poo lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Luffy status: still rubber

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

That lead me to this and I am upset
https://twitter.com/PattenPending/status/1257807550784786434?s=19

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Heck I guess we'll just have to let both Carrot and Yamato join the crew

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

His introduction with him just chomping an entire rose with zero fanfare is incredible. Cavendish is good.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

1004 linked for convenience

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

oddium posted:

whoa .... just got why his name is "tony tony"

Please tell me I'm dying

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1362811733363093504?s=19

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1362815474925527045?s=19

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sub Harrison posted:

Fffffuck yeah! Robin fight!

Page 4, bottom center panel: Isn't that Kidd's crewmate? Were they already introduced? Thought they were still held prisoners

I think it was implied that after breaking out of Udon, Kidd went around and got his crew back together. We saw his entire ship, including that dude with the mouth, when they were first heading out to Onigashima.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Finding a way to reliably defeat women without hurting them seems like a legit way to get past his issues, though.

He already has, with Violet and Pudding. Even some of Black Maria's cronies were starting to be swayed.

Sanji will never kick a lady, it is bananas to think that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I say this as a huge Sanji fan/apologist: lower your expectations

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Yeah Sanji has been really good since Whole Cake as one of the only Straw Hats to have gotten character development since the timeskip.

I hope his indecision this chapter leads to him fighting Queen instead of Jack as implied but either way him taking down a dude with a bounty of over one billion is rad as hell.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chapter 1007

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

i wake up 4 times a week in sweats thinking about big hat

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

Hi. Uh. I was wondering if I could pick your brains on a One Piece thing.

My boyfriend is a huuuuuuge One Piece fan, especially of Usopp. He's graduating in May, so I've been thinking of commissioning an artist to do a WANTED-style poster of him. However, I've never commissioned an artist before. Would anyone here be able to recommend a good One Piece fanartist who is taking commissions? At the very least, does anyone know any sites where I could find such artists?

Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread--I'll delete the question if need be. I'm just trying to keep this on the down-low, and since the boyfriend isn't a forums member ADTRW seemed one of the few places I could ask without being discovered.

I don't know if this would be like, too weird or whatever, but some of my favourite pieces have come from wafalo. They tend to be really out there.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sanji carrying an overly mummified Zoro because he doesn't know the gently caress about first aid is everything I've ever wanted.

All he ever knew is Chopper constantly wrapping Zoro in bandages and went "hell I guess so".

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Chapter 1014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Kiku is my favourite scabbard :(

At this point, most of the Straw Hats have been pretty beaten up. It's just like, Jimbei and Franky that are more or less untouched? Robin and Brook looked kinda worn in the one panel too.

I'm really curious where the story goes. It doesn't seem like they can pull out a win at this point, which follows into the act 4 thing people talk about, but how does Wano survive any amount of time it would take for the Straw Hats to heal and rebound? They're going to get an island dropped on them if no one stops Kaido at this rate.

I suppose any combination of Law and Marco could help but that sounds a bit contrived and may cheapen a victory imo.