Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
That spread of Big Mom is my favorite in a while. What a fun excuse to get a bunch of yokai in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
yes please give me more of those luffy rayleigh parellels where I throw my arms up a little and go 'yeah!!' irl because I'm 12

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
phantom is a good chapter

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i'd really enjoy it if shiki shows up in the manga proper just doing the retired garp/sengoku thing but for pirates

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my thoughts on the latest chapter are i hope somewhere on my journey to discover who and what i am i gain the confidence to get my arm cut off by a sword and cauterized by another sword and no-sale a fleet of cannonballs to the face

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i was sitting here like full :allears: through the whole chapter thinking to myself theres only one thing i can even conceive of loving this up and then it hit me like a spirally eyebrow

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
anyway much more importantly yamato remains the coolest ever

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its become a bad gag and character trait ops

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
anyway speaking of sound effects its cute beng has replaced don in this arc

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the detailing on rayleigh's face owns

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
or as some call me, monkey the dragon

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
cinemasins takedowns and subsequent refutations of the birdcage are kinda beside the point imo, it's more just a bit of a narrative mess emblematic of what i see as the wider arc issues in doffy's theming (as the ultimate manipulator who then also becomes the ultimate powerhouse) and the general pacing (also part and parcel to the clumsy billion scenario tee-ups and hypercutting and luffy's cooldown timer and arc heavyhitters acting as literal paperweights). on its face i dont think theres anything too out of sorts logically about the impact of a fruit being grander than the raw strength or skill of its user. like whitebeard was spoken of as being able to singularly end the world on the merits of his fruit alone before getting into being one of the apex fighters within it (exaggeration or no). with proper signposting and setup like people have been suggesting, a compressed span, a less distracted flow and better things for noteworthy characters to do i think it wouldve been fine. my problem with it isnt really conceptual.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
ok what about all the parts of what people have said that arent about the logic tho

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
im personally down for the growth and arc of momo's character which has already been underway a while and got a real good step w/ his speech to the gathered samurai to be that he hasn't inherited his father's raw strength but is still his father's son in other ways, namely learning to be and becoming a kickin' rad inspiring leader w/ an unbreakable will specifically in spite of and tempered by his weakness and fear. i think that's way cooler and more fitting of everything we've been through with him so far than if he spontaneously taps into his inner dragon and lifts a whole island or murks some hotshot opponent as his hair forms into an anvil or w/e

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
time to reread the entire katakuri fight i think

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
one piece is so cool

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
whats very not cool though is that viz's reader is still so awful in like every way compared to mangaplus on desktop after how long now? like theres no care about consolidating that poo poo whatsoever and it remains afaik the only way to access an official archive digitally

like, no vertical option, no single page option, forgets zoom setting on every single page

it's so needlessly laborious and hard to disappear into compared to 'here's the chapter enjoy'

you can also luckily fool it into being at a decent size and actually maintaining that state across pages if you pop it out and then bring it back within the original window. like what? and still not as good as the view you're given on mangaplus

full screening it actually fucks up the size worse lol

viz???

Violen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 3, 2020

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
maybe im finally too stupid for technology

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i like it as an unshown and unhappy deed i think, cutting to the aftermath with everyone's grim reactions to the enormity of this betrayal and the act of killing lifelong family is really effective

i also like orochi getting unceremoniously killed by kaido bc it's everything he deserves and works as a good shock

that one's a little more murky though bc you also naturally gravitate toward wanting something more poetic in his end and who gets to dictate it but i feel like we're getting a lot of that pathos out of the scabbards' showdown with kaido in impression if not outcome

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
luckily hes smart enough not to do anything with it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
man just as a standalone thing the mood in chapter 900 is so pitch perfect lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really enjoyed that as fun as the and ceasar clown is here too saga was, that at the end of it nami's just like 'ok thanks go die in a ditch somewhere you piece of poo poo' and then like three weeks later someones asking whatever happened to gangster gastino in an sbs and oda's like 'who cares hopefully he died in a ditch somewhere because he's a piece of poo poo' both bc it was funny and also true, as they say

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Millions of children in Japan collectively flipping their poo poo right now over a giant robot fighting a dinosaur. :holy:

hell, same

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
god lol every week we go without sanji meeting kiku and yamato is another week i have to continue holding the same breath in

please dont gently caress up what youve finally nailed oda

sanji's not worth it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
sorry for the aimless doompost about things that havent even happened yet im in a weird mood

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
kaido's downfall will come in chapter 1000 when tama sneaks him a dumpling

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really want blackbeard to remain uniquely threatening tbh, ive always liked the mood he strikes as representing something kind of unprecedented and unknown and ive actually lowkey really hoped thats how hes formally presented throughout the remaining story. i dont want him wind up representing xebec's inherited will or some d traitor to the name from the void century or w/e, i want his whole perversion of d traits deal to be entirely his and his achievements w/ devil fruits and w/e's behind those achievements and his quirk w/ never sleeping and the full anatomy of his goals and methods and w/e else to not be a repeat of some poo poo that went down back in the day. i really love shanks' singular treatment of his threat and i want the pirate hes willing to talk directly to the elders about to wind up being blackbeard. none of this ties into his rote power level squared up against other endgame candidates to me really, same with him being the literal final boss. i dont really care about that and its never a straight arrow w/ oda on that front as it is.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://twitter.com/kuramah3/status/1347489003910660102

what the hells going on w/ shueisha all of a sudden LMAO

nintendo strikes its own promotional copies of fire emblem energy

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
need to team up with twitch to discuss the pirate musou problem to unlock their true power

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that owns

thats probably my favorite oda face fault and finding new diegetic reasons for characters to use it specifically over whatever expression kills me

when that was linked in a spoiler a while back i genuinely thought it was someones well-drawn fanart bc idk i guess my brain just didnt process it happening in the high stakes payoff the chapter was clearly going to be which is a frankly embarrassing fail for a supposed op fan tbh........

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Bleck posted:

There was an entire war fought over the public execution of a pirate for being related to Roger. You don't think it's weird that one of Roger's most famous and powerful crewmates is just sorta allowed to walk into the ultimate stronghold of the hegemony unimpeded?

with the emperors being one of the three major powers and w/ shanks' outlook and disposition i dont find things like him calling the war or securing an audience w/ the elders if it concerns an omnidirectional world threat (given it was about blackbeard) weird at all. i think it fits his specific position and personality

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Larryb posted:

I forget, what area does (or possibly did now that the Warlord system has apparently been abolished) Shanks have dominion over again?

the warlord claims are a separate concern from the emperors lol, the warlords were sanctioned, the emperors are just a stalemate

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also they gave buggy the keys to his fiefdom after realizing his connection to roger and mistakenly considering him a big deal, theyre hardly above pragmatic relationships or tolerances of whatever nature

i read shanks' interaction w/ the elders the way i read roger's team-up w/ garp tbh, a begrudging necessity we dont fully know their reasoning behind as of yet (i mean besides the surface defeat of xebec and subsequent defense of celestial dragons but there's obviously more to the anatomy of that)

Violen fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 24, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
betty literally has the praxis fruit what does it take to satisfy everyone

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
hes going to stay out of commission for the rest of the arc then get a smash cut cover arc reveal like bon clay did but its just him getting a new head cut off embarrassingly each week until hes really dead

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i really like sasaki's designs

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
people voted him that high just bc they knew itd piss him off

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
weren't we not doing the spoiler text dump thing anymore or did i dream that up out of annoyed selfishness

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
the panel with momo doesnt exactly inspire confidence in me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
didnt pudding just remove the memories of their kiss