Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Caidin posted:

I feel like I completely misjudged the size of Jack before now, also highly excited to see Nekomamushi become leader of AVALANCHE.

Kaido's dyin', Cloud!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It actually being Gol D Roger would be really funny. It's not that unlikely dead legend it's the other even more unlikely dead legend.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bleck posted:

prediction: Blackbeard thinks the Yami Yami no Mi is the most powerful devil fruit because it's the fruit Gold Roger had

Nah, that would've been mentioned by now. If anything it's going to be Rocks old fruit but that runs into the same problem of why Garp/Sengoku/Shanks hasn't said anything. It probably has something to do with having more than one devil fruit since it can suppress powers.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

No Wave posted:

Shanks maybe has said something. He went to WB about blackbeard and went to the world government about "a certain pirate".

It could have plausibly been mentioned at Marineford but almost no one would have had that knowledge, let alone someone to mention it to. So it could go either way, I'm 50/50 on whether it belonged to Rocks.

Rocks having had the fruit makes more sense but you'd think that Garp would've had some reaction to a dangerous pirate having the same power as the dude he defeated in the most important battle of his life.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Bleck posted:

not if the old guard never knew

How would Garp not know? He hunted Roger for years and fought against and with him several times. I can see him not saying anything because of ~reasons~ or that Oda hadn't thought of it yet but it seems very unlikely. Rayleigh too, by the way. Xebec seems more likely since he was introduced much later but I'm still not convinced.

If anything I suspect that BB knows more about devil fruits than most and therefore knew what it can do. Probably ties into why devil fruits exist in the first place. There might be something to the superstition of it being impossible to have 2 fruit powers because the devils will fight each other and blow you up in the process. BBs fruit could somehow outrank the others which is why he can suppress them and wield more than one.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 12, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Kaidou conquered an island of samurais and is himself based on japanese mythology. He is weeb poo poo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's in Chinese, but I'm stoked to have this panel on my wall now. :D

:perfect:

It's probably my favorite panel in all of One Piece.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1015/

One Piece owns.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Last Celebration posted:

Kin...

Also I can’t believe Sanji’s cool again. And that I thought Oda was really gonna do Nami dirty like that and kill her new power up/simp. Oda...does it again...

Yeah, RIP Kinemon. Looking forward to Kaido getting absolutely destroyed in the rematch.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I still prefer the swedish translation of Luffy -> Ruffy :shrug: . I stopped reading the swedish release after Enies Lobby which was apparently a very good idea because the translators completely gave up in Thriller Bark and named Brook Brukk for some bizarre reason. Swedish doesn't even use double k's.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Man with Hat posted:

Swedish translation was really really good for a long time until they switched translators

Makes sense, I thought it was weird that they were suddenly worse than the translator that gave us tanjiado lofulamingo.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Give me a new name! ...Cotton? Zeus it is!

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

jassa posted:

Yay for Yamato! I'm still not sure about him joining the crew, it's difficult to imagine him fitting into the crew dynamic. Though I suppose a lot of folks felt that way about Jinbei.

:confused: He's already acting like a strawhat and said he wants to join. Of course the future Pirate King needs an Oden for the last part of the journey.

I don't think Carrot is joining anymore. I wouldn't mind her doing so but she's been away from the spotlight for too long.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Havoc904 posted:

Plus, the downfall of Wano was directly attributed to Oden loving off and ignoring his homeland. Kaido even says during his fight with Oden that he wouldn't have been able to defeat him earlier (this might have been more of a comment on the dancing like a fool for money thing). It still holds true though, if Oden would have stuck around then Orochi doesn't have the in with his father as well. If Yamato doesn't join, then I think it is for that reason of learning from Oden's mistakes.

It's a bit different in this case since Wano isn't Yamatos country. Momo will need some kind of regent, sure, but one of the scabbards are more likely to fill that role. And one of Odens mistakes was not going after Kaido right away because he didn't want the people of Wano to suffer. He saved a few lives in the short term but doomed Wano to years of subjugation instead.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

jassa posted:

It's not his country but he grew up in it and his father (mostly) destroyed it during that time. Yamato staying behind to help rebuild feels like a believable possible outcome. And heck, that's something Oden was known for too (see: Kuri).

Sure, but if the crew is getting another member, now is very much the time. And Yamato can't very well be Oden unless he travels the world too. I don't see Oda spending all this time on Oden and Yamato saying he wants in to then set up another character to join in the next arc instead.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Absolutely. Punk Hazard is the one relatively recent arc that I don't remember much of except for a quick summation. I don't really dislike any arcs except for the Davy back fight and even that had some great moments. Dressrosa is generally good and it's only really the bird cage and the last countdown that detracts from that arc.

Edit: Yeti who?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

it could just be that the WG buys devil fruits to keep them away from pirates and revolutionaries. So essentially shanks robbed a armored truck, not some specific legendary fruit

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

true, but since anyone who can use armament haki can hit him I doubt that that invulnerability is the big draw.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

...Is this your first chapter of One Piece? That's like being disappointed by Luffy not being a vegan.

Also, that hasn't even happened yet.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I also enjoy that the village didn't care about Naruto at all. Train him into the super weapon we know he is? At least take care of the former hokages son? Nah gently caress that.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

He won't, but it would be funny.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's possible the mind control only lasts as long as the dango is in their system. War crimes averted.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I have trouble believing that Oda was going to have Carrot join and then changed his mind. Yamato fits so perfectly with the story that he's the first character I'd be more surprised by him not joining the crew. The new Pirate King needs an Oden, right?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Another reason why OP owns, when has a shonen series been improved by someone being horny?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Oh good, Yamato turned into Vicar Amelia

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Last Celebration posted:

…Anyone else have Rules of Nature playing in their head when they read the Flying Six/Big Three fights?

Absolutely, I'm looking forward to Zoro ripping out Kings cyborg spine. Red Sun fits Kaido pretty well too

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ryaomon posted:

then it turns out no he just reached a high enough gamer level to unlock his midichlorians.

I think that's just called practice and experience.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I love how Black Maria looks like the goofiest version of Quelaag. And Yamatos fruit not being any of the theorized mythological animals because Oda made another animal up is also pretty funny.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

lih posted:

Oda didn't make it up, it's referring to a Japanese wolf god

That's what I get for not reading the translators notes.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RIP chopper and usopp. The boats hosed, too.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Marco also knows very well how insane Luffy is.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Edit: lmao it helps to read the entire chapter before speculating.

I know why Momo had to be aged 20 years but he *is* losing years of his life. I would start with making him 18 and see if that works first.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 27, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Finding out that your trans kid is basing his identity on a guy who almost killed you has to be a weird day as a parent.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Lock Knight posted:

Maybe that added to Kaido's drinking problem. Along with all the suicide attempts. Chicken and egg?

Fish and egg, surely. Though I guess Yamato doesn't qualify as an egg anymore.

I like the logic though, if Oden is cool for almost killing Kaido then Kaido killing himself has to be cool, right?

Warden posted:

SBS Vol 100 has started leaking. Here's a non-spoiler tidbit.

And thus Kaido continues mixing surprising occasional benevolence with being a total piece of poo poo when it comes to his crew, while Ulti keeps on being cool.

Between Kaido and Doflamingo I like that at least some of the top evil pirates have some sense of comradery. Can't be an rear end in a top hat all of the time if you're trying to run a massive organization.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 2, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Last Celebration posted:

lol that Yamato’s backstory was just the Twitter meme, like I expected some variation but it really is his dad deciding he’s okay with his son’s gender identity but needs to die for being Oden. Also yeah at least in that flashback it’s not hard to see why Kaido doesn’t take anything other than his son’s gender identity seriously.

Also lmfao that Kaido said “here’s some swords, the equivalent of WMDs to samurai, I’m sure you’ll use these to kill each other for a bowl of rice and not my men”.

Not to cover for Kaido, but he does have half a point in that if you're going to claim the identity of one of the most impressive men Kaido has ever fought Yamato better loving live up to it. Kaido does this by being evil Garp, but still. Yamato can be a man but hasn't proven himself to be *the* man. He's currently very much in the process of doing so and I have to think that Kaido is at least a bit proud, hosed up as he is.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Cat Machine posted:

There seems to be a concerted effort over on Reddit to make sure Yamato is always referred to as “she” with no room for debate and it reeks of astroturfing. Why else would you brigade people for using “he”? One of the top comments on this week’s chapter even says Kaido calling Yamato “son” is a form of abuse... Weird stuff, but I guess that’s Reddit for you.

This is probably selfish of me but I was partially hoping Yamato would be confirmed as trans to gently caress with reddit. Just because you're way too into cartoon tits doesn't mean you get to police someones gender to make yourself not feel weird. Yamato's a he until he says otherwise.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RuBisCO posted:

Also, gently caress reddit!

:same:

I guess this isn't actually a spoiler at this point but not everyone's up to the current chapter.

I'm really looking forward to the final part of the Kaido fight. That first second punch Luffy throws after figuring things out was so satisfying.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 3, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

jassa posted:

He's gonna reveal a second club, and fight two-club style!

But nah, I don't think Zoro will be back in this fight. It's going to be Luffy, Yamato, Momo and (probably) Marco up on the roof for the start of the final round against Kaido.

I don't know about Marco showing up for round 2. He bowed out of Sanji/Zoro v King/Queen so he's probably not intervening in *the* most important fight going on. Gotta let the the new generation get it done without training wheels.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Why are you using towels as bookmarks???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Asuron posted:

I think much like Crocodile, more of his backstory will be revealed later as we learn about Rocks. Right now, there simply isn't time to jump to a lengthy flashback (which Kaido will definitely need)without really throwing the pacing off.

The Skypiea flashback says hi. Oda could also do the flashback in 2 chapters if he wanted to.

We need young Kaido getting recruited/beaten by Xebec, some pirating together and maybe some philosophy and then something about the final fight with Garp and Roger. Cut to Kaido thinking something about how he only respects the strong just before he gets destroyed by a new punch. Done.