Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i remember liking skypea as a teenager, when it was first written. but have no desire to go back to it. maybe in like a year when it finally gets the one pace treatment along with alabasta. but right now theyre doing water 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think sabo got owned in his fight at the levely and when luffy is within spitting distance of laugh tale he will learn that sabo has been captured and will be executed, and abandon his quest to go back for him. since oda is mirroring part 1 in part 2, it makes sense to have luffy go charging in to rescue his captured brother, user of the mera mera no mi, yet again.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

When I first read it I thought the whole point of that flashback was the build-up to that final scene where Luffy is crying about Sabo's death and Ace turns to him and says "Don't worry, I'll never die" and that really doesn't have the same impact if it happens anywhere other than right after Marineford.

i agree, and also feel that the reason he hadnt come up before is similar to how ace had never come up before: nothing had really reminded him, and he's really just that simple. he told his crew about ace because he literally appeared in front of him. he reflected on and remembered sabo because he was his brother that died, and ace had just died. he told his crew about sabo because he literally appeared in front of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxU2eqZtYmc

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah, its clear sabo was an idea he had slightly too late, but under the current conditions i think he was integrated as organically and as true to luffys character as possible. we're watching a man come up with the modern beowulf or gilgamesh off the top of his dome for 20 years, things might not line up perfectly from time to time, its fine imo

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

garp turning on the marines finally after whatever crime against humanity the government/imu did gets exposed leading to him beating akainu with a full chapter of punches to his lovely face because secretly oda wants to break the 7 page muda record from jojo part 5

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

On the other hand, Ace had that crossed out S tattoo from the very first time we saw him.

are you trying to infer that he was going to have ASL tattooed on him but thought better of it slightly too late, and then tried to blame it on the tattoo artist later? man was a pirate, not a yahoo chatrooms pervert

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ace walks into a random tattoo parlour on some island and says "i want a tattoo of ace on my arm!" and the dipshit tattoo artist can't spell and thinks there's an s instead of a c.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if garp were lovely like akainu he would be the current fleet admiral anyways through seniority and political status, because he wouldn't have repeatedly turned down promotions to admiral

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

kizaru is so fascinating because id call his fruit objectively a top 3 power in the series, but now that haki is everywhere like...what does it matter if he shoots a bullet of energy at the speed of light, if someone can just armament through it? hes still untouchable since he's literally the fastest thing in the world but like...i have no idea how he beats half the supernovas in a fight now, let alone kaido lmao

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

akainu killing ace and punching luffy and just that whole chunk of time where' hes wilding out and Having A Real One is a big moment for me
bon clays goodbye though the whole impel down arc is my fave
luffys reaction to seeing sabo

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one pace rules, i just wish that they would work on it chronologically. i tried getting my friend into one piece but hes not really a manga person and the anime is riddled with filler arcs and a lot of pointless stuff that one pace is very good at editing around. unfortunately, as of right now it stops at baratie and then picks up again, then stalls out again from chopper through alabasta and skypeia and theyre doing water 7 right now. i get its a hobby and stuff, just seems odd to not work through the show in a way that makes sense to watch it in.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i dont really get the crocodile complaints honestly. he had hubris because his power rules, luffy made a logical realization about how to get around his power, hurt himself to get him wet with blood and then beat him up. it made sense and was emotionally satisfying. i vastly preferred it to thriller bark's resolution, which means i probably will end up liking the end of wano less than the end of dressrosa.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

idk if i would call "getting his assassination of whitebeard stuffed by gear second, then losing because jozu hit him with haki, then off screen escaping from akainu" hanging with the big boys at marineford

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ive been a fan ever since the very start, had every issue of monthly shonen jump ever printed (even the first one that was given out only at a convention) and loved it. i take long breaks from it though these days because I like reading entire arcs, the week to week waiting gets brutal

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Marco has a yonko level power and spends the whole series getting Worfed, hopefully poo poo turns around for him

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think it's fair to say that most people have some sort of vague timeline in their heads of the way the story will pan out. this will resolve in luffy getting some kind of decisive victory over kaido though not necessarily a complete or total victory, probably just proving that he's on the same level as him and making him gently caress off out of wano. at some point they'll get to elbaf (i personally think there will be a davy back fight here against shanks crew but thats unimportant to the larger point im getting to), and then eventually from there to laugh tale. possibly insert a rescue sabo arc (i believe this as well, but again unimportant right now).

my question is: when are we getting to the dr vegapunk factory?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oden rules but i didnt really feel sad about his death or anything, partly because it was such a forgone conclusion. whereas with other characters whos deaths get trotted out in comparison like nami's mom or saul, that wasn't the case. we knew they were gone but not that they were dead, or why. oden also died in a way that was less tragic and more noble, which undercuts some of the sad that people tend to look for from flashback deaths. he was a cool guy though. entertaining. did a lot of stuff.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think if oda can make people like caesar clown, a man who literally abducted children to perform mengele experiments on them for big cash money and a sick sense of fun, into a character people like to see and were glad to have around the straw hats for such an extended period of time, then he can thread the "800 years ago the government did a mass experiment but kinda screwed it up" needle.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I haven’t read the novels, did Whitebeard really have an empire like Big Mom/Kaido/Blackbeard, as opposed to a legion of pirates assimilated into the his armada like the Spade Pirates and a collection of “territories” that were mostly just islands that he took responsibility for to keep people from waylaying them?

"pay me taxes and i will not only not destroy you, but will protect you from others" is basically the definition of an empire, so yeah whitebeard had one

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

while we're on the subject of the origins of rogers voyage, i just wanna say this is probably my favourite flashback and one of my favourite scenes in the whole story. manages to give a lot of context and convey a lot of emotion while still having such great economy of storytelling that it's short and gets away with not actually telling us anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_I3_XlWb-0

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

bon clay is the best side character and biggest hero in the entire series this is immutable fact

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ivankov showing up with the intent to tell the straw hats that sabo got owned by the admirals and will be executed and he needs their help to bust him out but seeing this shitshow happen and just saying gently caress it lets dive in and help because i love luffy and sanji and then forgetting to tell them until their big party at the end of the arc is going to rule

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sanji is like james hurley, in that he was always cool and still is

and he has a funny face

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i care about jinbe

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

kaido is a dragon that ate the giant giant fruit

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

boy, i sure hope someone gets fired for THIS blunder

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

id want the magma fruit so i could hold the world hostage like a supervillain and no one could kill me because im a lava man

on a related note, how come they dont have akainu make more islands or other landmasses? he should be the absolute king of infrastructure in the one piece world.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

chapter 1000 scan release projected as christmas day :getin:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

fish dad will never take an L, the man is just built different

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i get that the fruit name is just a fun thing about how its not really a fish anymore its a dragon, this is entirely a tangent: what would happen if you ate a devil fruit that turned you into a fish like a shark or a trout or something? would you still drown? I know we've seen a fishman eat a fruit before, but this is different since fishmen can innately live underwater, this would be the fruit giving the ability (presumably, since fish need water) so would it be rescinded?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah and my text above had basically nothing to do with the spoilers but was a tangental question based on them so i tagged it out of courtesy.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Every chapter should end with a double page spread of misleadingly picked panels from the next chapter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuNOt7lNmkk

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

bondster posted:

Chapter 1: Luffy punches a Sea King, proclaims he’s gonna become King of the Pirates.

Chapter 1000: Luffy punches an Emperor, proclaims he’s gonna become King of the Pirates.

One Piece is real loving good y’all

judging what we now know of kaido, hes basically just an overgrown sea king anyways :v:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

there is no moral compass in one piece, much the same as the real world. various characters talk at length about their belief systems and how they inform their decisions, both pirate and marine. the general concept of piracy in one piece to me has always read more as "sailing the seas and Doing Things but not sanctioned by the government." the world government has a vested interest in things staying exactly as they are, and limited mobility helps keep the world stuck as it is, with entire oceans of have-nots stuck living and dying on the same isolated rock they started out on while sickos in spacesuits buy slaves in their capital. It's just that most pirates are people that have gained enough power to sail, and are sick of being have-nots, so they turn to what we consider to be piracy. Luffy and the strawhats don't really engage in any of that behaviour, nami used to but it was under duress and brook was once on a more conventional ship but he's always been more interested in panties than cash.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

because hes fighting for ideals and espousing an ideology that is directly opposed to the authority of the world government, the dragons, and imu. anyone that could even just potentially consider tugging at the loose strings of this tapestry gets the full weight of the power behind whatever conspiracy they're all behind dropped on their head (see: buster call at ohara), let alone someone charismatic enough to lead an insurrectionist force like dragon.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

the fish fruit was given to kaido either as an attempt to troll/gently caress him over, or because he even back then was bored and wanted a challenge and accepted it from big mom. either way, he clearly awakened the zoan fruit which is what caused the dragon transformation and has gained so much power that now hes even more bored an disconnected from humanity than ever before

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

"near the final arc" is a pretty worthless unit of measurement. considering how long the series is, "near the final arc" could mean an interlude or two and then the final arc, or it could mean another 6 years and 2 full size arcs until the final one. there's no point trying to read those tea leaves

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

very good chapter. ive been on the climactic anticlimax train of having the animal control dango somehow force fed to kaido since, like, the start of the arc, and really hope it somehow happens still

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its caribou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oddium posted:

well if enel was going to come back oda would probably want to tie it to skypeia somehow. now who's a skypeian we last saw in the vicinity of kaido hmm. maybe a supernova who hasn't had a big role in the new world so far hmmm ooooh. ah..... oh !!