Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I thought Zoro had cool weird multi-head powers because he is cursed :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Good chapter

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I read my first one piece in elementary school, I can't believe I'm 28 now, still reading one piece and going WOW THAT WAS PROBABLY THE BEST CHAPTER

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

anime was right posted:

i love one piece

being excited about luffy punching bad guys is making me feel like a kid again

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Dr. Vegapunk knowing how devil fruits work was brought up first in like 2006, and ever since then I've thought we'd meet him and devil fruits would be explained "soon". At least when we visit the island literally named after him? No?
The fact that the main power system still has mysteries around it after decades of story is pretty incredible imo

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I love zoro dozing off the moment he gets wrapped up in the comfy full-body cast so so much. Preparing for a round two?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Brandfarlig posted:

One Piece owns.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Awakening the gum-gum fruit and turning the entire island into rubber is the only counter against the quake-quake fruit's destructive power and this will be relevant in the massive blackbeard v luffy showdown :science:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

whoa

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Ninja intrigue, stealth and politics sounds super interesting but is very tough to write and sell to a battle-focused shounen audience, constantly escalating wizard battles lets you go hog wild. Still doesn't mean you need to just drop the interesting cast of secondary characters people got invested in in part 1. Zabuza Arc and the exams were some of my first proper anime experiences and it's sad the shark got jumped so hard.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Everything in Wano has the potential to be so wonderful in animation, with this recent fight being a prime example. A lot of the arc has translated that way, but too much of it has succumbed to the same old anime flaws. I can just never get over how much better the anime would be if they did it in seasons instead of the weekly model.

Don't worry, they'll make a full remake of the anime starting from the beginning once the manga ends.

... right??

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I started rewatching the anime from the beginning recently too, and had totally forgotten that even in his first proper fight Zoro was already wounded and let his opponent wound him further to give them a handicap because he's just that badass :allears:

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Aurora posted:

per an sbs: Ah, yes. You might have to follow very closely to picture this, but...let me explain! It all starts with Shimotsuki Kozaburo (swordsmith and swordsman)

He forges the "Enma" and bestows it to the heir of the Kozuki Family, Oden.
55 years ago, he sets out to sea!
He and the samurai of Wano have a grand adventure!!
They make landfall in a certain place in the East Blue.
They save the locals from mountain bandits.
They teach the villagers the way of the sword, who become enamored with swordplay.
They decide to settle there, founding Shimotsuki Village.
His son, Koushirou, is born.
His granddaughter, Kuina, is born.
To put it in other words, who Zoro meant by "a geezer in his village" that he met was actually grandpa Shimotsuki Kozaburo-san himself, who comes from the Wano Country. Oh? Then could that mean...Zoro's lineage...?! Well, the story of Shimotsuki Kozaburo, the samurai who founded Shimotsuki Village, is all I'm willing to share today!

crazy that after 1000 chapter's we're only now exploring the backstory of our first crew member

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

OPAONI posted:

One Piece is so good

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm so glad I caught up after years of not following at all, getting amazing chapters weekly is such a treat.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Dark dark fruit can nullify the effects of other devil fruits, thus stopping the second devil fruit from killing Blackbeard.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I liked the katakuri fight because it was a mirror match of stretchy man vs stretchy man inside a literal mirror dimension

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm really happy that the Oda made the cloud-splitting clash of attacks - a fun, cool-looking anime trope - story relevant.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Cloks posted:

making this post to quote when we're in a Norse design inspired elbaf in however many chapters

holy poo poo it's loving elbaf
i hope elbaf is like wano but with norse stuff, wano has been great

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
New chapter is good. And I liked Skypiea and Thriller Bark the first time through, they're cool adventure islands, and going on fun adventures in imaginative islands was a big part of OP's appeal to me.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My stand [DR DRE] lets me create an operating room where

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm very happy if they take the characters and story beats and do their best to shape it into something that works as a live action tv series, taking whatever liberties they need, instead of disastrously trying to just redo the manga/anime, but in live action this time. The manga is already great and I can just go back and read it if I want to experience it again, I don't want a bad live-action anime, I want a good tv show based on Once Piece.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

scary ghost dog posted:

id rather they just start the anime over with better pacing and a bigger budget

well yeah

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
idk why i had to make this

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
on my first read I thought the dialog in the end meant that Zunesha was a devil fruit user that had been 'slumbering' for centuries but on a reread it sounds like we'll get the full context next chapter/later/never.
what a banger chapter though

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Last Celebration posted:

This new chapters making me wonder something (I don’t think these are actually spoilers but I guess just in case): how does eating souls work? Maybe I just forgot if there was an explanation, but up until a bit ago I just assumed that Big Mom was effectively immortal because she cumulatively added hundreds of years worth of souls to her life and expended her near infinite stockpile to give her homies sentience/life, but the fact that she had to burn a year of her life to go Big Second makes me think they’re just good for fuel for lesser homies or just a snack for her.

I understood that souls are non-fungible (:v:) too, as in WCI there was a difference between homies that have just regular rear end souls in them vs Napoleon and Hera who are given life by big mom's soul. I really have no idea how it works in the end.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
one piece... good? good!

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
garp i'd love to friend

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
IDK if the break week timing is awful or awesome, probably both

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
the previous big shot user of the gum gum being from the void century would explain why no one has commented on it but the government had deemed it important enough to guard with a high ranking officer. But if they know it's important, why hasn't the government moved in on Luffy sooner? (I mean I guess they have lol) maybe shanks has a hand in this? It's going to be a long two weeks, plus a month or two of kaido flashbacks, until we get answers huh?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Luffy ate the dum-dum fruit and is a dum dum man whose powers work like he believes they do.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I can't believe Luffy loving died. Took a direct hit from the strongest creature on the seas. One piece is over.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
The one where they fall from sky island and their eyes pop out of their sockets, man I loved reading the sky island arc

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
i read the spoilers, but only because i contracted the i-will-die-if-i-dont-read-spoilers disease last week

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
lmao this chapter owns

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Also good points by the poster who mentioned how much of this was set up in skypiea and alabasta, the spirit trees, sun god, feeding zoan fruits to inanimate objects to make them them sentient etc., especially if the story was originally supposed to end there. I also like that there's an actual in-world explanation for luffy being impossibly tough and bouncing back from everything beyond just him being an anime protagonist(the mythical zoan), even though yeah there are just some people in universe who happen to be massive and badass. His awakening being restricted by his own understanding of the fruit's capabilities was a good angle too imo. Can't wait for more one piece.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Shanks is actually a weakling and gets carried by his crew, he has an agreement with Mihawk to lie about his swordsman skills and keep the facade up.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I laughed out loud at long leg Luffy dodging the shockwave attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm so happy we get weekly chapters again, I love One Piece.