Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
big hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
My scientific & canonical explanation for every One Piece powerup:

Don't worry about it, it's fun and cool

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Holy poo poo Marco :supaburn:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
oh my goooood

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Julias posted:

There is no official confirmation if they are related or not, but they do have some sort of close relationship to each other, including Page 1 referring to Ulti as an 'elder sister' and Ulti calling him 'Pay-tan'

Aw, I've only been reading the official translation and was thinking she was calling him "Pay-chan" as a pun :(

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The build-up to that last page has been great, it's a very cathartic moment. Can't wait for them all to get owned next week lol

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

Was not expecting Black Maria to be a giant spider. I'm confused as to how her form works since she has a separate spider entity she'd kind of blooming out from like a SMILE User.

It works in a way that allows her to be both a spider as well as a pretty lady

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
All the dinosaur designs are so rad, it's obvious Oda had a blast coming up with them. My favorite detail is Sasaki's hat matching his beak.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
https://twitter.com/DudeExclamation/status/1351970460435677185?s=19

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Kabuki structure be damned, I hope there won't be any significant breaks in the Emperor fight. Make it one of those legendary days-long battles of attrition that we've heard about but never actually witnessed in the story. Just have the heroes slightly redirect Onigashima's flight path or evacuate the capital to avoid civilian casualties. Really it feels like this chapter was just the end of the warm-up phase, Zoro hasn't even lost most of his blood yet (or any, really) so he's still at base power level. :zoro:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Thank you Oda.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

"I wish Sanji stopped being a weird pervert" = good, correct

"I wish Sanji would kick a woman" = stupid, wrong

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Minion of Freya posted:

Kanjuro drawing is the easiest explanation, but it still has some holes. If he made the drawing to get them to lower their guard or lead them into a trap why use Oden? Why a person they'll immediately question is real? Why not draw Hyogoro or Momonosuke? Or a Straw Hat? Or even Hiyori?

Because Oden makes for the best mindfuck cliffhanger for the readers

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Big Mom is so great. Oda keeps her personality and mood swings consistent, and her relationship with her companions is fun. I was legitimately taken aback when she unceremoniously snuffed out Zeus.

Also not to be too much of a creep (too late), but Nami's proportions in this chapter seemed slightly more realistic thanks to her wearing the samurai armor.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
This was easily my favorite Jinbei-focused chapter so far. I wasn't initially super excited about him joining the crew, but Oda has done a solid job at rounding him out.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Nikumatic posted:

no wonder he wanted whitebeard's crackin fruit then

OK now I'm convinced

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Momo has come so far :cry:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Too soon, dude :(

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Gomu Gomu? No.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Ubiquitus posted:

Hasn’t oda stated in the past that he wanted the protagonist to have dumb powers because it was more fun to draw and write about? If I’m remembering that correctly seems unlikely he’d give Luffy’s fruit a super secret meaning

It could be a non-combat application like the ope-ope fruit's eternal life operation :shrug: It would actually be quite fitting for the government to be freaking out about an ability that Luffy has no interest in ever using.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I can't believe Luffy is loving dead.

I can't believe Joyboy is loving alive.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'm sure this has been brought up before but I haven't seen anyone mention it after the latest chapter. For anyone worried about Luffy being "taken over" by Joyboy, I think Oda will avoid this by making Luffy a reincarnation of Joyboy in the same way that Shirahoshi is the reincarnation of Poseidon. Shirahoshi is still her own person with her own personality and goals, and Poseidon is just her power to command the Sea Kings. I reread the chapters from the Fishman Island arc where they talk about Poseidon, and I don't know how the wording goes in the original Japanese, but the Finnish translation constantly refers to Poseidon's power "awakening". :)

I don't know if the concept of Devil Fruit awakening has anything to do with it, but somewhere in the FI arc (I'm working off the wiki here and that has no accurate reference) they mention a legend of a man who would one day come to teach a mermaid how to control Sea Kings. So it seems likely to me that Luffy is going to awaken whatever power Joyboy had, which may or may not be the same as the Awakened power of the Gum Gum* fruit, and later teach Shirahoshi how to control her Poseidon power. As for what the Joyboy power might be, I'm thinking of Mihawk's comment during the war about Luffy having the power to unwittingly rally people to his cause, which in turn reminds me of how Shirahoshi also used the power of Poseidon unwittingly when her mother was killed and when she wanted to stop Noah from destroying Fishman Island. Luffy using his Joyboy power without realizing it would also be consistent with how he used haki without realizing it. Coincidentally or not, the chapter with Mihawk's comment also features an instance of Luffy accidentally using haki to avoid Mihawk cutting his hand off. :)

The one thing I am slightly concerned about is the whole bit about the secret Devil Fruit. I'm hoping it's just a red herring and the Five Elders are mistakenly thinking the Joyboy power is the Gum Gum fruit's Awakening when they're actually two distinct things and Joyboy just happened to have both.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
One Piece Manga Thread: Somehow, Joyboy has returned

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

He's acting differently for sure, but he might just be feeling euphoric.

But Nika isn't the God of Enlightening Intelligence :confused:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

The contrast between Luffy's ability giving joy and Blackbeard's ability taking powers is interesting. I almost feel like they could be complimentary.

Blackbeard also mentioned to Ace on Banaro Island that the Dark-Dark Fruit is known as the most evil ability. The symbolism of the sun and joy defeating darkness and evil is pretty blatant.

I'm not TOO upset about Luffy's fruit being changed, but my gut instinct is that I would have preferred for it to remain just the Gum Gum fruit, even if the cartoon powerup and the giddy personality wouldn't make perfect sense as its Awakening. I'm gonna do my best to reserve my full judgement until we see the longer-term implications of the twist, but right now I'm a little disappointed by the bluntness of Luffy literally being an incarnation of Nika by the in-universe logic of devil fruit science. I would have preferred for Luffy to remain more of a symbolic embodiment of the Nika legend - after all, we've seen being joyful, fighting in a ridiculous fashion and freeing slaves/the oppressed for as long as the series has been going. The Nika legend could have been something that Luffy would have embodied in the hearts and minds of the people fighting against the world government, and the story could have maintained the ambiguity of whether or not Luffy was literally the reincarnation of Nika or if he just happened to be a friendly, joyful guy with wacky powers.

Now I said I'm gonna try to reserve judgement, and it's possible and even probable that Oda is going to keep things more ambiguous than it might seem based on this one chapter. Also, I have to say I fully enjoyed Luffy's cartoon antics, like grabbing dragon Kaido like a toy and flailing him around. However, I'm left with the feeling that Oda might have been split on whether or not he wanted to make the connection between Luffy, Nika and Joyboy this explicit, and ended up going with the more direct, genre-typical version for the sake of his younger audience. I'm not saying it's the wrong call, but I can see why some people would be disappointed and critical of the decision. It reminds me of the twist about Ace being Roger's son: it's a decision that gave interesting depth to both Ace and Roger, and was a story worth telling in that regard, but Oda had to come up with the clunky 20-month-pregnancy plot device in order to be able to tell it.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
It's really unfortunate that Hiyori had to have her big moment in a chapter that also introduces Gear 5. Her explosion at Orochi might be the best serious face Oda has ever drawn, and she would have deserved to end a chapter by finishing him off.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

People haven't actually read One Piece, they just feel they need to have opinions about it because it's popular

Hey this is a pretty lovely and condescending thing to say, maybe relax a bit about people having opinions that are different from yours :)

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Kaido hasn't lost to Luffy yet either :smug:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Bleck posted:

It's like... Naruto became as important as he was because he had Kurama. It's the opposite, here - the Nika fruit is only appearing and becoming a big deal because it's what Monkey D. "Gonna Be King Of The Pirates" Luffy ate. Luffy could have eaten any fruit - or none at all - and still would have gotten here.

Luffy didn't announce his goal of becoming pirate king until after he had eaten the fruit :twisted:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Personally I think Shanks didn't want the child to die and was more than happy to give up an arm for a friend.

Just lol if you don't think of Shanks as a cold, calculating chessmaster who was talking literally when he told Whitebeard he bet his arm on Luffy. It's like you don't have the slightest idea of what his power level must have been by the time chapter 1 takes place. :smuggo:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
MFW I read the phrase "Human-Human Fruit, Mythical Type, Model Nika"

MFW I see Luffy fighting with the Awakened power of the Gum-Gum Fruit

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Oh god that panel with Luffy's arms coming out of Kaido's eyes was the worst :eyepoop:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I thought Kaido taking a knee in this chapter was a pretty clear indication of him taking damage, it's literally the same thing Lucci did after taking several hits from Gear 3.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I feel like turning the entirety of Onigashima into rubber is kind of a big ask from Luffy right now, we've only seen him do it to his immediate surroundings and he should be focusing his remaining strength entirely on beating Kaido. I'm hoping that saving the capital will still be Momo's big achievement, Oda teased the possibility of him fighting Kaido a few chapters back but I think having Kaido weakened enough for Momo to have a chance would undermine Luffy's achievement.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

hatty posted:

What’s he keeping in that hat?

His 8 million followers

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
They call him Trace because he's TRACING Blackbeard :shepicide:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

STUPID NEWBIE

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Carrot's jolly roger haunts me

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Foxy haters are generally either anime watchers who were subjected to bad filler, or manga readers who hate fun and just want to get to the next big lore dump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Cat Machine posted:

Only just realised Luffy can now make himself big enough to wear Big Hat

He won't need to, he can just stand far enough away to make it look like a normal-sized hat and pick it up.