Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder how the anime is going to handle the upcoming scene in Udon when the warden is infecting people left and right with a horrible virus, and Luffy purposefully infects himself to send a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

RatHat posted:

With Kaido mentioning a son I guess we'll get confirmation of if he had any kids with Big Mom.

Also I love that Denjiro is the only scabbard that thinks Kin'emon is a tactical genius.

EDIT: By the way I've forgotten, what happened to Garfield? Has he just not arrived yet?

He mentioned specifically that he wants his son to meet Big Mom, so I don't think the Katakuri triplets are going to be Kaido's boys. As much as it would be fitting.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

Turns out the reason Gin hasn't fulfilled his promise to return is because he's been hanging out in his dad's basement this whole time.

It looks like one of the flying six is a woman, so it seems like pretty decent odds that Robin actually gets a fight for once.

Just waiting for Zoro to come in, one-shot her, and Robin stands off to the side looking non-plussed, and Luffy says something about how cool Zoro is.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Perfect time to engage in meaningless ranking of characters!

https://tiermaker.com/create/one-piece-character-1252

Apoo beneath Hody Jones?! For shame.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Lpzie posted:

were minks in powerful mode during jack's stay at zou or nah?

Nope, they made a point when the Straw Hats showed up that if the moon was out they would have trounced him.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
The Wiki settled this by the way.

quote:

It was stated in One Piece novel A that Ace could use Busoshoku Haki. Upon awakening it, he was capable of fighting on equal grounds with Vice Admiral Draw with Busoshoku Haki.[22] However, it is not known how proficient he was in using it.

Novel A is canonical, so Ace was probably over-reliant on the Mera Mera and had poo poo Haki as a result. It would also make zero sense that all of Whitebeard's top brass had Observation and Armament, but Ace didn't have either. We haven't gotten direct confirmation on Ace having Observation, but it seems like most people who do use Observation are only confirmed with Vivre Cards now unless they're extremely proficient in using it (Katakuri.)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember hearing that CP9 had Haki when Luffy and crew fought them. Anyone know if that's true?

All we can directly say for certain is that CP9 has haki now. The wording was vague on Rob Lucci's Vivre Card initially, but there was a re-release on the Vivre Card website that changed the wording to clarify that Lucci made his Haki stronger, not that he learned it.

I'll post what Artur on Library of Ohara posted, since he's way more knowledgeable about One Piece than me.

https://thelibraryofohara.com/2020/01/03/vivre-card-databook-index-set-some-new-information/ posted:

– Lucci’s vivre card originally said that he had learned haki during the timeskip. However, this correction states he simply strengthened his haki over the timeskip in relation to his Rokushiki, not learned it from scratch, pretty much implying pre-TS Lucci had haki. All CP9 members (minus Spandam and Nero) were revealed to have Observation and Armament haki in their cards when the CP9 pack first came out, so since it had been previously stated that Lucci learned haki to get into CP0, we assumed that they all learned haki as well and thus this was a soft confirmation of them having joined CP0. However, the fact that Lucci had haki pre-TS already would imply they all did, which means that they might not have joined CP0 after all (or maybe they did, but this doesn’t confirm anything)

– Furthermore, one of the new index cards states that “the training required for the acquisition of both mantra and rokushiki is akin to that used for acquiring haki”. Could this imply rokushiki is tied to haki? The card uses this following panel of tekkai, does it imply it’s like armament?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Did you guys know that the 4kids dub totally kicked rear end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-AX-R0INo&t=658s

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Spoilers were out about two days ago so I would assume we'll have a chapter posted before the weekend is done.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I keep getting mad when he brings up Don Quixote, because I want to post "Oh yeah, I think Oda's familiar with that story."

Can you imagine someone getting into One Piece where telling them "Coby comes back" or "Luffy has a brother" are spoilers?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I can, cus a year and a half ago I was that person :v:

I thought Franky was a villain!

Alas, I got spoiled on Ace's death because of a loving gift shop in Japan.

Was there a postcard with Akainu punching through Ace that said "Wish You Were Here" over the hole in his chest?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I completely agree, I think Law is going to use ROOM and effortlessly defeat like 50 people at once, then Robin is going to be involved in what looks like a fight against a serious threat.

....Until she has to step away to do something else and we give the fight to Wanda or something.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Lpzie posted:

we taking bets on the noob thread? no way that amount of writing is sustainable. burns out by the end of vol. 5(? whatever the usopp one is) at that pace, switches to per volume writing, then just fucks off after vol. ~20. BELIEVE IT!!

e: adjusted a number.

Don't ruin my dream. That thread is going to keep breathing life into One Piece fans whenever there's a break week!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Tashigi looking like Kuina is just a coincidence.

Like, in Rogue Town the resemblance mainly serves the role of just being another reminder of his past for his small arc of getting new swords and learning how rare Kuina's blade was. But afterwards I don't think there's any real meaning to it beyond just providing a reason Zoro doesn't want to fight her but by Punk Hazard even that's been dropped.

Jesus Christ that Punk Hazard poo poo was insufferable.

Literally all I needed was Tashigi to think Zoro was being sexist and didn't want to hurt women, and Zoro to say "lol no I don't care." and then cut Monet down.

Instead, we have to have him say some stupid line about "There are some things I would prefer not to cut." Cause you can't hurt a woman, Zoro! You need to protect them :ohdear:

Am I misremembering that scene, or was it really that horrible?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I might be a real jerk, but I just don't think Zoro is all that awesome? I feel like he does some impressive stuff, he is a cool dude, and he's fun to watch, but there's something about him that I'm not that keen on. I can't put my finger on it. I think he's just not as interesting to me. He's a meathead who ends fights by cutting someone down, saying a one-liner, and then everyone else says "Holy poo poo, that was so cool!"

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Artur of the Library of Ohara posted a fan-made chapter based on what potentially could have happened during the interim of the Reverie. It's a nice little piece of fan-service until the new chapter drops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3n8c4cm2Ag

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I think I'm among friends here, because those are the things I love about Zoro. Any time he's just a big fuckin dumbass.

I'm just not really all that interested in his fighting style. I find it difficult to be invested in sword techniques when ultimately they just end up being "Cut More." Zoro learning to do stuff like flying slashes and coating his blades in Haki are at least a bit more interesting, but I find it hard to get invested in Zoro fights.

I guess what I'm saying is I like Zoro as a character, but not as a fighter.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I've seen a lot of people complaining that Pound is alive, but it makes me really happy he finally gets to meet his daughters :unsmith:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Begemot posted:

Not me, I instantly fall in love with all of Oda's goofy background chaff villains. Big Mom's kids that only had one panel of screentime? All those ninjas that chased Robin and Nami around? I care for them all deeply, and I cannot wait to see them again.

The main characters are okay, but the background randos are where Oda's ability to design characters really shines.

Remember when Oda casually dropped that Big Mom has 85 kids, and any reasonable person would assume "Well we'll see like 30 of them at best, right?"

Nope. Oda designed 85 new characters, most of them of varying races and ages. All of them named, most of them direct siblings with one another. All because he decided "I want this villain to have a lot of kids."

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I know the most popular theory was Katakuri and his brothers being the sons of Kaido, but I'm thinking Yamato being the son of Big Mom and Kaido wouldn't make more sense.

Big Mom's whole speech about Kaido owing her a lifelong debt would make a lot more sense if Kaido refused to let Linlin have one of the children she gave birth to. We've seen how serious Linlin takes control over her kids, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the tipping point that made the animosity between Linlin and Kaido so volatile.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Jose posted:

the only fruit type we know for certain works on the dick is paramecium

I can't take this blasphemy! Someone needs to correct this bullshit right now!

Oda SBS Volume 66 posted:

D: Is Akainu's dick Magu-Magu? P.N. "DI"

O: Woah, woah.

D: Is Aokiji's dick Hie-Hie? P.N. "C"

O: Hey, hey.

D: Is Kizaru's dick Pika-Pika? P.N. "K"

O: STOPPIIIIT---!! (SHOCK) What the hell are these questions, right from the beginning. YES TO ALL OF THEM, DAMMIT!!! (Vein pop, huffing)

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3It7izNFnEg

I really love these videos, they almost make chapter-less weeks better :allears:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

oddium posted:

not really enthralled by a scratchmen apoo fight. also his name should be scratchman like i think it is

I agree.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

most of oda's 'this character is supposed to look like this celebrity' still get enough of a design change that they aren't immediately obvious until they get actively pointed out to you

(except like, the admirals were he's just straight up drawing those actors)

Sanji being Steve Buscemi is still insane.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It just growls but it’s definitely Mayumi Tanaka making the sounds

They don't seem to do it so much anymore, but one of my favorite little touchesin the Japanese version was how the majority of the prominent animals were voiced by members of the Straw Hats.

Carue was voiced by Sanji, Minotaurus was voiced by Usopp, Sphinx was voiced by Brook, Nami voiced the rabbit that thought he was a cat in Water 7, Zoro voiced Pierre in Skypiea.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

REMEMBER ME LUFFY? WHEN I STOLE YOUR BROTHER'S FRUIT? I LOOKED JUST.LIKE.THIS

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Map of the Heart and Hard Knock Days are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOgdADA691o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwCDFIuT6AY

And Hope by Namie Amuro was perfect for Whole Cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo52vQyAR6w

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

JackDarko posted:

He was going to steal it by killing him and hoping it transferred into his bag full of fruits. It's why he travelled with a big ol sack of fruits I thought?

There was no confirmation it was a bag full of fruits, just a bag he was carrying around. That's potentially the case, but we never saw inside of it.

The design on the bag was all swirly, but that's just a stereotypical thief bag in Japanese media. He literally could have been holding it because Oda was illustrating he was there to steal fruits.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

tbf Akainu could have said whatever the gently caress he wanted about Ace and the latter almost certainly wouldn't have taken the bait.

I also imagine most of the WB pirates would have taken the same bait that Ace did.

Oda made a massive deal about how Ace took after his dad and refused to back down from someone who insulted his friends, so Ace was a lot more unique in how he worshipped Whitebeard.

There was even a panel before Ace went after Akainu of the other WB crew members yelling at him to stop being stupid and come back along.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Nami also attacks one of her wings with a heat ball and it gets melted because it was made of snow. I don't know if her wings were permanently made of snow or not, but that would make a lot of sense.

Also, the Vivre Cards confirmed her harpy body is given to her by Law's powers.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Oda, the man with two daughters he clearly adores, killing Pound, the character whose entire characterization was wanting to meet his two daughters, is absolutely unthinkable imo.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Stepson.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Libra posted:

I'm just glad that he isn't any thinner.

He would be too attractive to the ladies, it would be unfair.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Spoilers are out; only spoiler that matters is as far as I can tell, no break next week.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Chapter's out; rough translation

https://imgur.com/gallery/61ZtcrU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

tbp posted:

yeah and traguy sounds weird in english. it doesn't translate well

I know the simulcast subs use Traffy, which works a little bit better.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

This fits his character so well that a while back I decided it's what actually happened, canon be damned.

Remember when Doffy used the birdcage on Swallow? An island he had never been to before and it was just a thing he could do when things were bad?

Sorry :smith:

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Caidin posted:

I'm sure the guy who lives inside the mouth of a giant hippo lives a very rich inner life.

This is something I appreciate so much about Wano. After building up the Zoan army that Kaido is packing since Punk Hazard, we get a small glimpse of them on Zou and they seem fairly formidable. Cut to Wano and, even though they're durable, the vast majority of them are horrific freaks with lion stomachs that punch them in the dick. It's the most fantastically Oda concept and it makes me so happy.

Scratchman Apoo fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Rough English Translation is out. Don't feel obligated to read it, but for anyone who can't wait, here it is.

https://imgur.com/a/D0Arx3R