Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I remember reading a while back that 4Kids only picked up the dub rights for OP because they wanted some other series and whoever they were negotiating with basically shoved it into the deal, is there any truth to that or is that just completely off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Did Blackbeard get the bounty for Ace or did the offer to become a warlord supersede that?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
The fact that there was a definitive "finish line" in Laugh Tale doesn't appear to have become common knowledge until Roger went the distance, which makes me think the initial lure of the GL was just people trying to figure out what the gently caress was even down there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ubiquitus posted:

It would real god drat dumb for a crew to forego some of the strongest power-ups when they're vying for control of everything

Wasn't No Devil Fruits Allowed basically the Roger Pirates whole schtick? Like, they had the option of getting free superpowers in exchange for their ability to swim and basically went "yeah no, not worth it".

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I think Apoo looks really cool and is a great character, and also his teeth are nice and good.

But does he post gifs of black women and make petty racists angry?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Warden posted:

Also, I think there was a mention that back when One Piece was pitched as five-year series Crocodile was supposed to be the final boss.

That sounds loving bonkers. Like, what would have even been the plan there? They get to Laugh Tale and Croc pops out of Teach's mouth shouting "YOU WERE EXPECTING BLACKBEARD BUT IT WAS ME, CROCODILE!"?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I can't believe how incredibly useful the loving dumpling power ended up being.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Crosspeice posted:

The fact that Ussop didn't do the big brained play of firing it into Page One or Ulti's mouth, or even Sasaki, means it likely doesn't work on actual devil fruits.

Yeah that's my guess as well. The thing about the Gifters is that they all seem to be permanently transformed into actual animals to some degree, not "otherwise perfectly normal human/reindeer/sword who can turn into an(other) animal at will". Maybe if she used it on someone like chopper that would work, but I don't think any of the top-tier officers really meet that criteria. Maaaaaaybe Kaido or King since I don't think they've actually explained what their deals are yet, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Edit: VVV gently caress cherry pies.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 15, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

jassa posted:

Or Minks.

Comedy option: it does work, but they're so friendly anyways that nobody notices anything different.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I can't believe people still remember Kuro, but then Woop Slap's on there too so whatever. Also :lol: at Gin being higher than loving Big Mom.

Kinda surprised to see Corazon so high up there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

It might sound like a meme here, but people are legit waiting for Gin's return

I mean I'm not necessarily surprised he's on there, just surprised that he's higher-ranked than one of the Four Emperors.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I didn't mind Sabo that much though I also think he would have been much better received if they had just introduced him at the beginning of Impel Down/Marineford or alluded to him more throughout the arc instead of revealing him like right at the very end.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Starsfan posted:

Hold on a second, why did Perospero just walk off after beating Wanda and Carrot? Why not finish them off? He had no problem trying to execute Brook and Chopper back in WCI... I mean obviously Oda isn't just going to start killing off characters in isolation of the rest of the story, but you would think it would make more sense if some other friendly forces had chased him off of the defeated Minks or rescued them in some fashion.

That along with the ambiguity of the last panel with him coming upon and observing the fight between Marco and King / Queen have the wheels in my head turning about what exactly he's up to in Wano.

I think he straight up doesn't give a poo poo. He's not exactly jazzed about the alliance and its already been a rough day. Yeah he got sadistic with Brook and Chopper but that was after the Straw Hats attacked the tea party, did a real number on their rep as an emperor crew and on top of all that BM was in full Hungry (Wo)man mode so poo poo was already bad and he needed to tie off loose ends. IIRC Carrot is just some tagalong from his perspective and he's never even met Wanda so why waste the effort when they're already down for the count?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I'm really wondering how CP-0 plays into all this, are they in Kaido's camp or what? They need Wano to keep up the weapon shipments and its hard to see how Kaido turning the whole place into Super-Tortuga helps with that.

Edit: Also is Queen down for the count or did Chopper just get a good hit in? I'd love it if he got a proper fight. When's the last time he had one, I want to say loving Enis Lobby?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 15, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I think CP-0 is hoping that both sides are significantly weakened so that they can force terms on the victor that are favorable to the WG.

That makes sense. On that note, I would guess that If Orochi didn't bite it then he's probably gonna show up again in their custody so they can prop him back up as their figurehead, with the looming threat of "no more loving around with us or you bite it for real this time" hanging over him.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Ace is me.

Hi!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
“Cop” and “Luffy” are two words that should never go together, regardless of context or time period.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Julias posted:

Overall I did enjoy the chapter, really happy to be right about Orochi being alive, Kanjuro being alive feels odd, did O-kiku not confirm if he was dead back at the start of act 3?

From the way he was going on it seemed like he expected to die from his wounds pretty soon. Its possible the only reason he's still standing right now is pure willpower/spite.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

The World Inferno posted:

Ya know, this arc is called 'the four emperors saga'. Wonder when Shanks will show up, or Blackbeard. Or, if we're going to find out after this is all done that Shanks is holding Blackbeard from interfering with this fight. Especially if he defeats and/or kills Shanks sure would set up the next arc wonderfully.

IIRC, Blackbeards busy sticking his nose in whatever's happening in Alabasta right now so as much as I would love for him to pull a Dark Horse Ze Ha Ha out of nowhere I don't think that's in the cards anytime soon, at least not until after Wano wraps up.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Len posted:

Holy poo poo that dude justed fused with a whole rear end city?

I wasn’t sure what you were talking about at first, then I thought “oh yeah, that did happen didn’t it”.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Survivor got really weird after season 40.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Parrotine posted:

I can't tell if your joking or not here since that show has been running forever.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that! :v:

596 episodes across 40 seasons, according to Wikipedia. And that's just the American version, god knows how many there are between all the different spinoffs. Apparently there's an Australian Survivor, which I assume is just set in Brisbane.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Also aren't reality shows in general just absurdly cheep to make? Even the less successful ones tend to turn a profit, or so I heard?

In any case, its still got a ways to go before it catches up with One Piece. Maybe they'll have a 1000 episodes extravaganza in season 79 or whenever.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Larryb posted:

Since it’s apparently possible, how do you suppose one “feeds” an inanimate object a devil fruit anyway? Break one open and slather the object in its juices?

By eating it! What kind of silly question is that supposed to be! :v:

Edit: Seriously, I'm like 85% sure thats going to be the actual answer.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Larryb posted:

That’s the one, yeah.

How many proto One Piece manga did Oda make anyway? And are there any other particularly notable ones that are worth checking out?

If we're just talking OP specifically then I think there's only the two prototypes floating around.

If you're talking in a more general sense though, a lot of his early works had elements and ideas in them that either evolved or were just integrated wholesale into OP proper. Wanted! is a pretty fascinating look at some of the stuff he was throwing around during One Piece's formative years.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Elmy; apparently they were one of the pirate captains who rolled up to Marineford with Whitebeard.

Could have been worse I guess, one more day and it would have been Mansion Guards!

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Arist posted:

Yes. Pretty sure it's so people don't run bots to scan the pages and upload them. It's still an absurd amount of manga to read in a day.

I had some time off work in the lead-up to chapter 1000 and decided to do a full read through of all 999 chapters released up to that point.

Even doing literally nothing but sitting in front of my computer reading OP all day I never once managed to hit that cap. I think the closest I ever got was like 70 or something and I somehow felt mentally exhausted by the end of it. Its not something I would recommend anyone ever actually try, if for no other reason than its easy for your eyes to start glazing over when you stare at a monitor for that long.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

jassa posted:

Last we saw Blackbeard, he was gathering his crew to go after something the WG were also targeting. I've seen speculation that he could be going after Uranus or a particular devil fruit, but personally I suspect it's the missing road poneglyph, since that's critical to plot progression. Thoughts?

Doesn't he already have the road poneglyph since IIRC Whitebeard was the last guy to have it and BB pretty much grabbed all his poo poo?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

I Am Fowl posted:

I wonder if this is the end of Hawkins. I mean, he really hosed up in a lot of ways.

Would that make him the first Supernova to definitively burn out? Bege didn't exactly profit from WCI but he still managed to haul rear end out of there relatively intact; I don't see Hawkins walking from this unless some serious dark horse ally poo poo happens to pull him out of there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

logger posted:

I'd say getting a wife and son out of joining the Big Mom Pirates worked out well for him considering how happy they made him.

Yeah I probably should have specified "with his crew and family intact", I was referring more to his intended goal since the whole reason he set up WCI in the first place was to take a crack at Big Mom and that obviously did not work out the way he planned.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Minion of Freya posted:

If Sanji has super durability and mutant healing factor he doesn't have to worry about hurting his hands in battle anymore

Doing so would be the same level of sacrilege as hitting a woman, so it is unlikely. But right now he's fighting a man called Queen.

If Sanji starts using his hands to fight then he really has lost his humanity. :colbert:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

anime was right posted:

i had honestly forgotten if we'd even seen shack (we have, for like 1 manga panel) and found this absolute loving gem on the wiki:

"The sun is a giant ball of light and heat around which a number of celestial bodies orbit. This fits the theme of the Thousand Sunny being a 17th century sailing vessel!"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

mabels big day posted:

Lot of people are mad we got another fakeout death and dont like the fart legs Kinemon but im gonna say it: its very good, and genius actually, that punk hazard kinemon is coming back clutch when he should otherwise just be slowly bleeding out in that room.

Anyone who dislikes this is a coward, tbh

I was like 100% expecting fakeout deaths for all the scabbards no matter what, but the Punk Hazard callback legitimately made me laugh out loud.

Also calling it now, Kanjuro being not quite dead just yet is going to turn into a running gag.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Minion of Freya posted:

The single panel CP0 got this chapter is chilling

At least Robin seems to be back on her feet again so hopefully this doesn't turn into Enies Lobby 2.0.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Ougher posted:

Yeah outside of here, I've been seeing A LOT of buttmad people over Kinemon. :qq: over the raid having no stakes or tension and Kaido and Big Mom being a joke because if they don't brutally murder anyone then obviously they arent actually as big and powerful as the story has built them up to be right? :jerkbag:

Honestly if you've read through all of One Piece, from beginning to end, and have managed to stick with it for years or possibly decades and still seriously expected any of the scabbards to stay down then I don't know what to tell you.

(Not you specifically, I mean the weirdos you were talking about.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Kanjuro still being alive, though, is getting annoying.

oddium posted:

needs to have his dream crushed

Seriously, his whole deal is that he wants to die. Him basically being forced to live a long, full life after becoming a human pincushion and making a big show of it like 3 times in a row would be both hilarious and thematically appropriate.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
I do sometimes wonder what Oda’s original plan was, back before OP really blew up and he decided to expand the series. Like I think I read somewhere that Alabasta was originally going to be the big “endgame” island which is why that arc was so much longer and involved that any before it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Meme Emulator posted:

It is revealed that Sanji was actually Nami's son, who was killed by a ghost. He was revived by the Sanji that he met in his dreams. He then decided to become a Straw Hat.

I think something like this was an actual plot point in Tsukihime.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Kild posted:

But CP9 got clowned on by a small time east blue crew and lost something more valuable than a devil fruit. Their only known punishment was being on the run for a few months before coming back and being promoted with not even Spandam going to super jail level 5.

I imagine we'll find out more about what's going on there when the inevitable rematch goes down. I can't imagine the WG let them off the hook that easy because Enies Lobby was a massive gently caress-up and only about 90% of it was Spandam's fault. There's got to be some kind of arrangement going on behind the scenes; that or maybe Lucci wanted another go at Luffy that badly and the WG decided to give the literal murder machine another shot because gently caress it why not?

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

ThingOne posted:

it only worked because it was so out of left field that not even future sight could understand what the hell was happening.

One of my favorite parts from that whole mess was Katakuri realizing something bad was about to go down and telling his brother to just go ahead and shoot the bastards already.

And then Perespero brushes him off and gloats anyways because he's just that much of a self-assured sadistic prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

bobjr posted:

Film Z also gives us Brook fanservice.

....How!?

Edit: Unless you meant like "Brook doing cool poo poo" and not "Brook in a speedo".