Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Smoker sucks and is boring, One Piece is better w/o him sucking down panels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Libra posted:

Remember when Zoro was getting encased in wax and his plan was to slice through his own legs and fling the rest of himself swords-first at Mr 3?
And when it looked like he might end up totally immobilized he switched to a cooler pose, just in case.

That was pretty good.

Seriously, that is still one of the best One Piece moments for me

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Who's who and sasaki were the only ones pointed out as being former captains, I would guess they're at the top of the flying six totem pole

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Since this is a shonen there's never been doubt that Luffy has to be the one to down Kaidou, but Law's gamma knife seems like the best weapon again. Stab once, run. way forever until he falls over

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

What are the chances big mom flips sides here to get Chopper as a part of her all different races crew?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Horry 💩💩💩
PISS

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Eiba posted:

What Jinbe gets out of Fisher Tiger's flashback is that he's still around. He has to deal with the weight of that story. His seriousness, dedication, and nearly comical propensity for self-sacrifice are all informed by the fact that he was there for Fisher Tiger's story. Jinbei is good and has the potential to be even better going forward.

But, uh, I kind of get the feeling behind, "Oden was a waste of time."

This really gets me going. I love this. Fisher Tiger had a hard time, and was defined by internal conflict. What he felt (hatred) and what he knew was right (reconciliation) were incomparable and in the end, while he did everything he could to do what was right and no one could fault him for that, what he felt ended up killing him. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Noland is the other kind of historical flashback star, and he's also incredible. There's a lot going on in his relationship with Kalgara- respecting people who see things differently and staying true to his own beliefs was hard. Misunderstandings nearly tore his relationship apart, but his strength of character got through eventually and it was beautiful and stuff.

In that context Oden was just... cool? His great symbolic acts of self-denial were just him believing that some lying assholes weren't lying, and then doing what he could to let his friends get away when it was clear the jig was up.

It's nice that he was curious about the world, knew and respected Roger and Whitebeard, was strong, and wanted to protect his friends. But I don't really get it. Those are all just synonyms for "he was good," and not something that shows his struggle, how he tried to be good. If anything the sacrifice of his honor kind of undercut the potential for that sort of feeling- he didn't seem to care at all that he was being humiliated. He was more like, "Oh, I have to humiliate myself to make everything better? Cool, I don't care about my reputation at all so this is easy stuff." And like, it's both not a challenge for him, and also makes him look actually foolish because the guys who made the deal were just lying.

Maybe his desire to open the country in the first place is something that has more emotional weight in a Japanese context? I get all closed/open, Tokugawa/Meiji, Deijima Island/Black Ships kinds of deals on a historical level, but maybe it's more of an emotional issue than just that.

Like, this is where I'm coming from. I don't want to be mistaken- I'm not asking in bad faith for people to say what's good about Oden so I can tear him down. I really want to know what about his character is "one of the best" Oda has made, and I'm just explaining why he didn't land for me immediately in the hopes someone can help me with that.

I guess the short version is: I can see that he did good things, but he also never really seemed to have to try at all, so him just being effortlessly good never got my blood pumping, if that makes sense.

If I was to make an effort to get what was cool about him... I suppose part of his story is how people saw him- he was just a guy with these traits and didn't think they were special- but other people slowly saw the value in his particular quirks? If he's just kind of a static unorthodox guy, his being bamboozled by Orochi's deal at the end is kind of more a tragedy because he's continuing to just do his own thing in a setting where it is, for once, not an advantage at all, and that's more straight up tragic than self-sacrificially noble? Is that something along the right track of why he's so appealing?

This arc really seems to hinge on the idea that Oden was really special, and I'd rather be in on that than just kind of :geno: like I am now.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, I completely agree and I have been wondering the exact same things for a while.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Is this a break week?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

We haven't yet seen what an awakened Zoan can do. Luffy barely beat katakuri, it still seems far loving fetched that he can take kaido or mom alone

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

i am tim! posted:

But the zoan jailers in Impel Down were described as being awoken. Luffy was able to deck the cow one with a wax pillar bullet.

There's a big difference between some mook having an awakened fruit and an emperor.

We all know how stupid broken foxy's fruit was, but literally still can't win a fight

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Libra posted:

It's actually very correct and accurate, the same thing happens to my robot arm when I turn into a dinosaur.

Pics? I've been looking for a stylish roboarm

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

What a chapter; surely the scabbards are gonna get hosed up though.
I am slightly surprised none of the beast pirates saw them coming through observation haki, but maybe there's just too much going on for that

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

Frankly, I'm happy. Wano really feels like it drags in some places. I'm ready to just get to the main action already.

I really hope it turns out he's alive. Kanjuro just getting offed off-panel given his relevance would be so anti-climactic. A flashback should occur, at least, if he really is dead.

We don't need more backstory about anyone that isn't a main character at this point. The story is too crowded, this is the point people need to die and stay dead so we can get to the meat of wano. Everything has been set up that way.

It's weird for me to be saying we don't need a flashback when one piece's flashbacks have been so epic, but this is really the shittiest spot

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

The panel of kidd just joking the life out of apoo is amazing

This chapter was fantastic, so many Easter eggs

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Oda brings the jokes, cuts back to reverie fall out this week

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I certainly wasn't expecting the scabbards to do damage to kaido so quickly. Carrot clowned on big moms army pretty well in su long form (even though it was at sea and they were disadvantaged).

I think this is setting up nicely for them to bring kaido down from 100%, maybe some where to 60-80? So Luffy/Yamato can finish him off. Not sure who is going to take big mom on though

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Hard to tell if it's just the angle of his body and the size of it, but all of kaidos injuries aren't conspicuous anymore in dragon form. I wonder if he has some type of quick healing

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

TheLoneStar posted:

Don't Zoans in general have a bit of a healing factor?

Nothing on the wiki.Marco's fruit has it but because he's a Phoenix and not just being a zoan

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I've had two lingering thoughts lately:

How's oda going to depict people fighting kaido? He's just massive, and I have no idea how I would approach depicting him fighting in dragon form. I just keep getting the image of ants biting a human and being swatted/splatted

I'd also be happy (and it looks like oda is generally going in this direction) if the big mom pirates aren't included in anymore of the major on-screen events, we've already interacted with them a lot. Peros is enough for me until wano ends

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

If it was literally just that the DF somehow becomes the nearest related fruit, I think someone would have figured it out before now.

Also goddamn what a boring mechanic that would be

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I also think the scabbards / mink setup is going to fall flat on its face - they'll do some damage, but not anything significant.

We've only seen one transformation and that was at sea against the big mom kids, who seem particularly disadvantaged at sea compared to the Marines/BB/shanks/beast pirates. Jack trounced them without it by himself, and that whole story has been sleeping tragedy after tragedy. From my perspective it would feel kind of cheap if it didn't end in tragedy also

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

He's in the fray somewhere, he had a panel

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

The closest thing to sex that's ever been addressed outside of people just having children was Luffy's mushroom on Amazon Lilly played as a gag so I wouldn't think too much about this stuff, this ain't Berserk

That was also one of the most powerful series of events I've ever read, and I've read a lot of good stuff and a lot of trash.

If Oda could find a way to parallel something similar in a way that made sense to the story line, he should include it shonen be damned. Sex sells

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Elfgames posted:

we are definitely going to get a rescue/war arc where luffy comes rocking in as the loving king of the pirates to take down the gov. if not oda's a hack

Would love to read your syndicated One piece publication, master mangaka :allears:

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

But he suffers the damage for everything that's pulled in, right? At least, that's what he told Ace during their battle...

So he could have just sucked in someone and that's who is using the goro goro no mi?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

HerraS posted:

my friend may I introduce you to the "Blackbeard has two identical brothers who live inside him in a black hole" theory

Yeah I always thought people meant he had a brother living on him like a conjoined twin, I never linked it to Blackbeard sucking the second person in for some reason

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

kinemon slicing through one of kaido's attacks, even luffy hasn't done that yet

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

1.) Luffy ringing the golden bell (skypeiea had so many emotional highs)

2.) Pirate docking/ refusal

3.) Zoro deciding to cut off his legs, then giving up and trying to find a cool pose to be waxed into eternity

Honorable mentions: Remember my muggy ball?, I'm already negative, law realizing he likes bantering with the crew

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

How long was the Noland flashback? That was much more effective

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Oda pulled the No One Dies in One Piece thing for so long that even after Ace and Whitebeard and Monet and Pedro and etc, I'm genuinely in suspense over whether Kiku bought it, what a crazy place to be in One Piece.

looks like it was just an arm so far, I doubt that's enough to kill someone in One Piece

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I really like that in Whole Cake Island, Big Mom has this personal connection and enmity with, I think, every single member of the Strawhats. A lot of the time, the villain only ever really talks to or even knows one or two of the crew.

I also just made the connection that maybe the reason Zeus is such a slave to his appetite has something to do with literally being made of Big Mom's soul.

If oda put that much thought into her character design (and I'm not saying he didn't) , what does that say about Prometheus?

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Kild posted:

so you just dont want kidd to be here then huh

Speaking of OP powers, imagine what Kidd could do if he realized he was magneto.
" Oh are those trace magnetic elements I sense in your blood? "

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Have any of you ever met a sad drunk? Kaido was just trying to end the sadness, and then got undrunk when he fell on Kidd etc.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It's clearly a parallel to luffy/zoro

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It would real god drat dumb for a crew to forego some of the strongest power-ups when they're vying for control of everything

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Is stromp tromp a walking sound or a instrument sound? Black Maria seems like a likely candidate right?

Hard to imagine there's yet another person that's on wano that we haven't been shown yet

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Luffy dies, Usopp becomes Pirate King.

That would be like buggy becoming pirate King. Bold choice of oda to turn this into a gag manga

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Begemot posted:

It's these thin wispy ones, like in traditional illustrations of eastern dragons.

The Sanji stuff this chapter was totally fine, people are getting outraged over what they thought was happening last week. He got tricked trying to RESCUE SOMEONE not because he was horny, you idiots.

Why can't it be both? I think the horniness is still the main motivator, it's not like he jumps at saving dudes in trouble

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 27, 2020

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Ethiser posted:

I hope Momo holds the island up when it looks like it’s going to fall on the capital.

He hasn't done a goddamn thing so far. This would feel like more of an asspull than birdcage to me, at this point I'd be completely satisfied with him doing nothing but ruling in the aftermath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bisoromi bear
Tanjihado loflamingosama