Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find it hilarious that Kiku is twice Izou's height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

why would that be obvious

Well it's not obvious for Katakuri. But Oven looks a lot like Kaido and Oven, Katakuri and Daifuku are triplets.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Why do you hate Monet so much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gnome7 posted:

Let's find out. Spoiler tagging this whole thing because I don't want to have to think about who was only shown in this chapter and who we knew about from previous chapters.

Straw Hats: 11 (Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Franky, Robin, Brook, Jinbei, Carrot)
Red Scabbards: 8 (11 total, but Kanjuro, ninja girl, and Cat Viper aren't here)
Kidd Pirates: 2 (Kidd, Killer)
Heart Pirates: 2 (Law, Bepo)
Extra invader: Dog storm's second in command guy who looks like Pedro but isn't whose name i do not remember

Invaders: 23

Kaido Pirates: 21 (Kaido, Orochi, The Flying Six, Orochi's 8 Ninjas, Scratchman Apoo, Hawkins, King, Queen, Jack)
Big Mom Pirates: 5? (Big Mom, Perospero, probably some others but its been like 40 chapters since we last saw em, we'll see em next chapter probably)

Total: 46+, Probably 50, and I feel like I am forgetting at least one faction in all this mess beyond the like 10,000 unnamed warriors on both sides.

There are way more then five named members of the Big Mom Pirates here. Also Orochi's ninja squad has 11 members.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kild posted:

Smiley exploded when he ate the giantfication candy against Caesar's orders.

No It was on Caesar's orders. He was demoing the weapon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly all of the All Stars are a bit hard to place. As they all use swords, among other things.

I am personally thinking that Luffy will fight one of them as well. And Kaido will be a team fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warden posted:

and it was pretty clearly established that at least Roger and Whitebeard were stronger than him, so logically they could have managed it. If Kaido was captured by Marines, why didn't they have Sengoku and Garp wail on him until he couldn't move and then drown him?

This is not established. Kaido is stated to be the strongest creature vs Whitebeard's Man.

Also Oden was not close to killing him, he just got a few decent shots in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

He was literally about to execute him before the old lady pulled her trick.

Dude was stronger than Kaido at that time, but as was the point of his flashback, having strength alone isn't enough otherwise Orochi would've been dealt with from the word go.

Warden posted:

Oden managed to wound Kaido badly, and was about to kill him, if not for the distraction which allowed Kaido to take him down. Hence, logically prime!Roger and prime!Whitebeard would have fared even better versus Kaido. Not to say beating Kaido would have been easy or a sure thing for either one of them though.

I just reread the chapter and this is not true. Oden got his one good shot off on Kaido started charging him, was distracted, then taken out by Kaido. He was never about to kill him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

I don't know how you can look at that scene where Kaido crashes to the ground, Oden charging at his exposed neck with the clear intent to finish him off and think it was anything but Oden on the verge of defeating him.

That was his body not neck. And Kaido returned to human form right away. There is a good chance Oden's attack would have missed even if he was not distracted. The fight would have just been longer.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

Kaido is still upset at how that went down so much so he killed the person responsible. You're being ridiculous

Yeah I presume cause he thought he would win without the hags help.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

We all know how stupid broken foxy's fruit was, but literally still can't win a fight

He nearly beat Luffy. He gave a better fight then Eneru did. The only reason he lost is cause his beam got reflected cause a mirror shard got stuck in Luffy's afro.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if Hawkins is going to show up again. He is generally pretty interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Its kind of amazing that in this series that we can see someone get their head sliced off and speculate that they are not dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

People in One Piece who have survived decapitation:
- Pound
- Crocodile (actually I think ViVi threw her chakrams into his face, not his neck, but maybe Doflamingo decapitated him with wires?)
- Doflamingo
- Kanjuro

People in One Piece who have died of decapitation:
- Roger (flashback)

Luffy doesn't count cause he was never actually decapitated.

Croc does not really count cause he is a logia. Doflamingo was not decapitated, it was a marionette made of string that was. Kanjuro was just a copy.

Pound was just slashed at most.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

He had less of a bounty than Chopper, despite spending several decades in Whitebeard's crew. There's no reason to think he didn't get the bounty, though at that point he was strong enough to just take as much money as he wanted while pirating along anyway so it made no real difference.

Blackbeard spent his time in Whitebeards crew being under the radar, no on in the Marines had heard of him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ubiquitus posted:

The panel of kidd just joking the life out of apoo is amazing

This chapter was fantastic, so many Easter eggs

That was not Apoo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

Like, all the ideas were nonsense. Van der Decken's gimick of "I want to marry/kill Shirahoshi because she can control sea kings which will bring me profit somehow" is the most coherent villain in the arc.

He's also kind of dumb. Like I think his obsession with her became real instead of a way to power.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah because how utterly crazy they were being was clear, as they had done nothing to strike against humans. All they were doing was abusing their own kind, and were about to destroy their home and most of their own race.

Like it would have done nothing to help their goals.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cat Machine posted:

- Outmatched two of Big Mom's commanders
- Took out one of the Flying Six

When did he do this.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scratchman Apoo posted:

He toppled Page One after he put on the Raid Suit.

He also clowned on Oven with one kick that was so fast that Oven couldn't even see him. Oven; a noted observation Haki user.

Sanji also was able to parry Daifuku's genie after it grew gigantic. Which was pretty impressive since the genie was basically the size of the Sunny at that point.

Yes but he did not defeat Oven, he just got one hit in after a surprise attack, they did not have a proper fight.

Also he knocked Page One down, then Page One got right back up in Hybrid Form. According to the anime they had a brief fight then Sanji bolted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

what i mean by ill defined (i'm sorry i dont know how to say this well so im gonna have to use a lot of words for a simplish concept) is that like, ace for example can do a billion attacks of big fireball fists (or a more extreme example is katakuri) and it seemingly "costs" them nothing. meanwhile luffy has a almost clear stamina cost every time he does something. logia hits kinda just "happen", at least from my perspective, whereas zoan and paramecia powers feel more "real"

All Devil Fruits that generate things have not been shown to exhaust their users. Luffy's stamina gets hit when he does things cause he is actually waving his arms and legs around. Someone like Katakuri, Cracker, Mr 3 and all the Logia's are just generating something and it has no effect on their stamina.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall hearing that Oda said that he thinks he introduced Crocodile too early.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, remember, that was his frozen bounty. It could be spun the World Government saw how dangerous he was early and extended an invitation.

That's what happened with Hancock. She went out quickly got an 80 mil starting bounty and was offered a spot.

Moria by contrast was a powerful pirate with a fairly impressive bounty before accepting the invite. However he later lost to Kaido and became a shell of himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

I believe the official story is much like Kaido wrecking Moria (and killing his original crew), Whitebeard is the one who stopped Crocodile's dreams of finding One Piece and kicked him out of the New World. So given the way Crocodile is I imagine he bee-lined for the New World and relied pretty heavily on his Logia power and ended up getting sandbagged by someone who could beat him anyway. Then he goes and becomes a Warlord as part of a long term plan to build up power until he's unbeatable.

Honestly Crocodile is still pretty impressive, he's got more victories than any other villain, and is one of the few Logia users we've seen who reflexively transforms to dodge without using Observation Haki, just pure training. I'm pretty sure he'd learn how to dodge Haki punches by manipulating his sand body around the limb. Which also is roughly the issue with Haki vs Eneru, you're still punching a man made of lightning so he just zaps you point-blank.

Croc was already a warlord when he lost to Whitebeard. From the way stuff sounded he was a rising star and then a silver medalist, one of the few who can boast that they had never lost to anyone but Roger and Whitebeard. He was also not the type to really rest on his laurels too much like Moria. He stated that just relying on your fruit was stupid and you needed to truly master it among other things. Also by all accounts he would largely be Haki Immune. Unless you use Ryou or hit him super fast while he is off guard you would not be able to land a blow, as Crocodile was stated as having trained himself so that his body broke apart into sand upon impact which also made him immune to normal sneak attacks. (This is apparently the reason Doflamingo could not hit him during their skirmishes.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Warden posted:

Has this been explicitly stated anywhere? I am genuinely asking, I was under the impression he accepted the invitation to become a Warlord because he lost to Whitebeard.

How come the 3rd division commander of Whitebeard Pirates, Diamond Jose, managed to punch him and send him flying, if Crocodile is "largely Haki Immune"? I don't remember him splashing water on Croc, just rushing him after Croc had taken down some mooks and punching him really hard...

I just mentioned hitting him super fast while he was off guard. Jose pretty much came out of nowhere and smacked him.

For another reason Croc may have been weaker in Alabasta he apparently did have a lot of his power wrapped up in making sure it would not rain.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 25, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

King presumably outranks Queen, but Queen feels like he's been way more built up and is a way more interesting villain.

I'm pretty interested to see how the fights pan out. There's so much going on here.

I think King and Queen are considered the same rank. Jack is the same rank as well, but he is their junior as he's the same age as Yamato.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 11, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

king and queen both bully jack because they're higher ranked

I don't think they are outright higher rank they are just stronger and his seniors.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

XkyRauh posted:

But he suffers the damage for everything that's pulled in, right? At least, that's what he told Ace during their battle...

No that is only if his body is hit. The Dark Portals he creates don't don't cause him damage.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Green Intern posted:

Well, they’re children, aren’t they? Caesar Clown is a bad man.

No they have been around for at least 20 years. The Numbers are just super drunk.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Match up wise. We appear to have

Ussop and Nami vs Page One and Ulti
Franky vs Haacha.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheLoneStar posted:

People dunk on Jack but forget he fought two Scabbards and the most powerful Minks for several days straight. They got twelve hour breaks, he didn't. Pretty sure he only had light bruises and scratches by the time he busted out the gas.

Yeah, so it makes sense he would be losing to them here. As they are in their much more powerful Sulong forms and they are both taking him on together.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pureauthor posted:

now cleaning up the inadvertent mess of Kaidou getting mad about Joker.

Well no that was on purpose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Given the ominous font shift, is this possibly a hint that the Rox crew members killed their captain in a power struggle? Rules of Piracy and all that...

Roger and Garp killed Rocks from what we were told.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don't know if this was linked but a bunch of trivia about the Emperors.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/comments/irjl3k/the_ace_novel_has_very_important_and_interesting/

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
To be somewhat fair to Shiki in the movie. He was literally playing around with Luffy during their final fight and is having little difficulty handling him until he lets himself lose at the end.

To be exact, Luffy does a Gigant Axe but he sends his body into the Storm Clouds they are fighting around and gets getting blasted by lightning. Shiki then remarks that he does not need to do anything to take care of Luffy now and stops paying attention to him until the electrified giant leg smashes into his head, as he remembers that rubber is insulated and he gets smashed into the sea.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lowercase16 posted:

I get the feeling that Usopp's first reaction to meeting Yasopp will be to belt him and even Usopp won't understand why, at first.

Usopp states originally he is actually proud of his dad and got super pissed with Kuro for bad mouthing him.

Yasopp's relationship with his family is a bit strange, cause he speaks fondly of them and Semi regrets leaving them behind. But his wife and son actually encouraged him to leave them and pursue his dream rather then stay with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

lowercase16 posted:

Yeah, which is why I think it'll be a shock even to him. Lots of kids idolize absent fathers until they grow up a little bit and the resentment comes out.

I dunno. You're right that there's been no hint of resentment. But it would feel weird if they met and Yasopp was like, "Your mom died raising you alone while I partied every night with Shanks, but what really matters is I'm proud of the man you've become." That's just... an ignorance of humanity and a fumbling of drama that I think is impossible for Oda.

I don't think Yasopp knows his wife is dead.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shanks also spent a year on Luffy's island. And he did not become a huge bigshot until after he left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Re posting the info I saw posted about those details.

Someone on Reddit posted:

1- Roger, WB, Shiki and BM were the rulers of the New world in the previous era and only BM remains from that era.

2- Kaido is said to be physically stronger than old WB but WB is great at piracy and a far superior pirate than Kaido

3- Thatch says to become a Yonko, one must be at least as strong as Shanks implying Shanks is the weakest at that time (no surprise cause he was the youngest yonko)

4- BB gave Shanks the scar just before Shanks went to the east blue and met Luffy

5- being an emperor/ Yonko is not about how ruthless pirate you are. it’s about how successful you are in establishing an Empire. In that regard, BM was the very first yonko as she started establishing territories in the new world followed by WB who by this time had a large territory.

6- wB had a all sorts of Businesses in his territory from restaurants, weapons trade, show biz etc to generate revenue which is why Bakkin believes that there’s a fortune that WB left behind!

7- WB completely outlawed Slave trade and drug dealing.

8- the Yonko strength (only physical strength and Nothing else) roughly goes like this : Prime WB> Kaido = BM> Old WB> Shanks

9- Shanks is very ruthless when Young arrogant guys are overconfident. He goes out of his way to break them down lol (which explains what he did to Kidd)

10- BM created her own empire from her own family and trusting nothing but her own blood. She’s a ruthless Business woman and is considered the Most Dangerous pirate captain because of her deep rooted connections and ruling as more Mafia boss than a pirate!

11- yonko do not fight each other because if two fight neither will survive and more importantly they believe it might expand the influence of the other two yonko.

12- the WG constantly tries to take back territories slowly from the Yonko but it’s a back and forth thing. Every Yonko has special islands just for Food supply lol and unfortunately the place where Ace and Jinbei fought was WB’s special food supply island.

13- when WB defeats an enemy crew, if he finds them to be unworthy, he will take their treasure, sell their ships and just hand them over to a middle agent who will claim the bounty on their heads for WB lol very smart pirate indeed

14- WB wasn’t sick at that point in the story and he was able to sink entire islands in an instant just by getting angry

15- Kaido is mentioned several times as a terrible existence and a calamity and not even in human pronouns (take that as you may) which is why he earned the title WSC.

16- Big mom is said to be a pirate who even Roger Shiki and WB didn’t mess with in the New world. She ruled over her kingdom by herself and was said to be a special ‘exception’ (probably cause they say she’s more of a Mafia type than a pirate). WB was the next to follow in accumulating his own territories to form his empire.

17- Shanks’ crew calls WB the devil lol they’d rather die 100 times (or be shot) than face WB lmao (probably why they sent poor Rockstar to go instead)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean, it's Kidd, chances are he gave Shanks decent cause to mangle him beyond being a hotshot rookie.

quote:

9- Shanks is very ruthless when Young arrogant guys are overconfident. He goes out of his way to break them down lol (which explains what he did to Kidd)

Actually it's apparently something he just likes to do.