Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, I love the designs of Roger's crew

Hope we get a prequel manga about them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

HerraS posted:

drat, Franky is gonna have to build a Kaiju scale robot to take on Sanjuan Wolf

Sunny is gonna transform and be piloted by Franky piloting the General Franky, Gurren Lagann-style.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Green Intern posted:

Thank you, Cardboard Cutout of Zoro.

Edit: These Coronavirus PSAs are great and all, but they still have extreme 4kids/Foxblock energy.

Yeah, they definitely give me the same vibe as like a Kids WB promo where Batman is talking to the Animaniacs in front of their water tower.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Personally, I'm hoping they swing back around to Water 7 so they can pick up Paulie and add him to the crew :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, there are some characters in there that I just do not remember at all.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

just bob posted:

Is it over? Did the dumb guy in a hat beat the lame man in honor of the big dick cool man?

Don't be ridiculous, it's nowhere near over, check back in five or ten years.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Shanks was clearly not originally supposed to be as strong as he is, as seen when he loses an arm to a random sea monster. Yes, he was rushing to save Luffy, but other people way below his level take way more powerful attacks than that even when caught completely off guard.

This is an endless argument, BUT I feel the pull to argue it anyway.

That happened well before Shanks was an emperor, he was just some random pirate sailing around East Blue at the time. He was analogous to Luffy at the start of his voyage, not to the Shanks we see in the present day storyline. Yes, he was a cabin boy on Roger's ship, but we never saw him fighting in those flashbacks, just doing regular deckhand stuff.

If anything, the violence of someone losing an arm is a bit out of place that early on in One Piece, but it would fit better now (see: Perospero having his arm blown off by Pedro).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think Oda invented haki as the series was going along and that's totally fine.

I vaguely remember him saying in SBS one time that he originally planned to end the series after Crocodile. Like, Baroque Works was gonna be the big final enemy, but it just didn't work out that way. Sometimes Oda plans stuff out years advance, sometimes he backfills connections, sometimes he just makes up new stuff and adds it in, and it's all fine!!

Except when he invented Luffy and Ace's secret third brother Sabo whole cloth, and he was just Ace With A Hat. That was lame.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ryaomon posted:

It's weird they developed all new never before seen powers in the like 2 hour train ride to Enies Lobby but you can sort of wave that off and even understand how they'd develop such powers.

Then Zoro grows 2 heads.

Zoro's always had weird magic powers that come from being Good At Swords, like firing shockwaves and whatnot. It's just another one of those. What's he supposed to be learning? Some grounded like how to parry better?

That whole fight with Kaku is actually about Kaku learning about his new devil fruit and developing the limitless destructive potential of the giraffe. He's secretly the underdog the whole time. The only question is how long he can hold out until Zoro pulls out some bullshit that will instantly wreck him, as has been the pattern with basically every Zoro fight since Mihawk.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was a little confused with the panel revealing the tobi reppo, it looked like Black Maria's portrait had been put in the wrong place and without a border. But then I realized, oh, no, she's just in the background, and a giant.

It does look like she has the same kind of horns as Kaido. Everyone else has horns as part of a hat or a headband or something, but hers are coming right out of her scalp, and are even two-tone, white (or some lighter color) at the roots. Of course that doesn't actually prove anything, it could still just be a headband or for show or whatever, but it's a neat detail! I remember back in Impel Down I was convinced Magellan was some sort of weird devil person with real horns, but then he took them off and used them like boxing gloves in a fight.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

The problem is that in the rest of One Piece, death doesn’t work that way. Actually, as we see with Spandam, in the rest of One Piece, ordinary human bodies don’t work that way!

It’s an overly realistic touch in the context of a comedy-melodrama like One Piece, basically.

I mean, to be fair, Kuina's death happens in like chapter 3. It's hard to judge it based on stuff that happens hundreds of chapters later.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The thing about picking the "worst" arc of One Piece is that there's really good stuff in every single arc.

That said, it's obvious Fishman Island, I mean c'mon. The villains were so lame and it lasted twice as long as it should have.

My go-to for best is Water 7/Enies Lobby, but honestly Whole Cake Island might have overtaken it. It had a similar thing where it was long, but kept shifting focus and throwing in new characters and plot twists at such a pace that it never felt long. Oda was really firing on all cylinders from beginning to end.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who recently read through the whole series in one sitting, it's weird comparing my thoughts on best/worst compared to the rest of the thread, who presumably read most of the series week-to-week. Like, fishman island felt very short and the birdcage stuff just felt like it was part of the final fight vs Doflamingo - neither felt like they dragged on much longer than they needed to. They weren't great or anything, but they definitely didn't feel like they dragged on. The colosseum bit definitely felt like it dragged longer than the birdcage.

Y'know what DID feel like it dragged on? Marineford. It was amazing seeing all the built up plot threads clashing together, but it's just chapter after chapter after chapter of "Luffy's running towards Ace! Oh, now there's an admiral in the way, but it's okay because someone else is going to fight him so Luffy can keep going! Oh no, now there's ANOTHER admiral in the way!" repeat for what feels like forever. Like I said, real cool, but definitely felt like it dragged on. Punk Hazard admittedly suffered from this much worse (wandering through snow forever, running through the lab forever, etc) but I just never really see people criticize Marineford for this. Maybe because it was so hype going week to week during it?

Honestly, I feel like arguing which is the "worst" arc is kinda pointless. All the arcs are good, some are just better than others.

I felt that way about Marineford at the time, honestly. It's really repetitive, and didn't hold a candle to how much fun Impel Down was.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, who are the other people in that picture besides Buggy and Shanks? I can’t really make them out too well.

Just random, generic pirates. I don't think he ever used that weird headgear again, and the only other bicorne-wearers besides Buggy and Roger are like Orlumbus and Big Mom.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Luffy is definitely Zoro's best friend, but I'm not sure if the reverse is true :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ryaomon posted:

This chapter makes me realize how little I care about any of Kaido's 74 named underlings who will not matter in 2 chapters.

Not me, I instantly fall in love with all of Oda's goofy background chaff villains. Big Mom's kids that only had one panel of screentime? All those ninjas that chased Robin and Nami around? I care for them all deeply, and I cannot wait to see them again.

The main characters are okay, but the background randos are where Oda's ability to design characters really shines.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

You forgot the giant leather daddy who turns into a pteranodon?

Can't relate.

I love that Robin now has a proper responsible adult friend in Jimbei :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ThingOne posted:

I love how Kaido doesn't give a poo poo about Ulti's back-sass and is even willing to admit she has some points. He's a surprisingly reasonable boss for an Emperor.

He is definitely the most laid-back villain we've had so far. Just kind of going over his schedule and chatting with his subordinates. Not the kind of arbitrarily evil or assholish villains you often get in One Piece, it's a nice change of pace.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Supersonic Shine posted:

For a guy who just punches the direction out of people's lives, Luffy can radiate some serious killing intent.

Nah he's actually pretty bad at that.

People are always underestimating him and getting blindsided when he suddenly explodes with anger. Even the weakest enemies cannot tell that he's actually about to beat the poo poo out of them. This is basically the whole premise of the Jaya arc, where Bellamy is relentlessly bullying him and then gets completely destroyed in one punch.

Zoro, on the other hand, that dude has killing intent so strong he literally used to it to win that fight back in Punk Hazard.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

KittenofDoom posted:

I made a felted wool Chopper :)

This is wonderful, thank you for sharing!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lpzie posted:

still don't know how water works...

The ocean is big, and mysterious, and currents do whatever they drat well please.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh man, I can already tell this Luffy vs Ulti fight is gonna be great :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm still mad that Doflamingo's eyes weren't revealed to be cute like the awakened zoans in Impel Down.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

AtomikKrab posted:

I never said I want luffy to take him. I just want him to ask, it would be great... Also they need a cabin boy ala shanks and buggy

God, what if Yamato is actually just like 10 or 11 years old. Kaido is so gigantic, it would make sense for his kid to tower over Luffy even at a young age.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sub Harrison posted:

Started rereading skypeia from the 'the sky' chapter posted. First time reading the official and man what a loving upgrade from those dogshit scans of the '00s.

Skypeia feels like filler which is odd where it's the longest arc of pre-timeskip (if you consider all the BW islands as separate arcs). But it's full of great scenes like Robin and Chopper's first 1v1 fights, and the Trial of the Balls. It's like an OP movie that's fleshed out under Oda's full direction. Also to bring up an earlier discussion, Conis is a good character.

Anyone know what Zoro's 36 pound cannon move is a reference to?

I believe it's a reference to a 36 pound cannon, which fires 36-pound cannon balls.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The World Inferno posted:

Bets on wether Yamato joins up? Character design is just similar enough to Robin and Nami that seems possible, history repeating itself and what not.

I think he's definitely coming along, but as part of the inevitable "samurai pirates" crew in the Strawhat Armada, not as a main crew member.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 3, 2020

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Parrotine posted:

Er, what? Kaido's 'son' is very clearly a woman, not trans. Nowhere did the chapter say 'used to be a man -> now a woman', she's just living the manly spirit of Oden's legacy

You do know that trans men exist, right?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

I can’t see live action Chopper being anything but terrifying. That said I feel like putting in every Straw Hat in the first season would be too much. I think it’d be better to just do the first five and roughly adapt the East Blue saga.

Live action Chopper is gonna be a real reindeer, they'll make it look like he's talking by putting peanut butter in his mouth like Mr Ed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

scary ghost dog posted:

alita kicks rear end but has flaws.....honestly the fundamentals are all there even with stuff like kill bill. speed racer is near perfect as well

Alita would be a great movie if they made five more of them, but they definitely won't, so it will be forever incomplete.

Seriously, they ended it in such an awkward place, it's bizarre. It's not like there aren't a dozen times where Alita seemingly dies, why would you cut it off in the middle of an arc?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Clearly, they should just make a TV version of the wildly popular One Piece kabuki adaptation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx7lbxDvY3U

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"I chose to be a man too" is pretty unambiguous, imo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

QuasiQuack posted:

I think you would all do well in taking a step back from this and maybe not immediately jumping to the conclusion that Oda, a guy who has depicted LGBT people quite problematically in the past, is now suddenly some champion of trans rights. If only to spare yourselves the disappointment later.
It probably has more to do with stuff like this I'm thinking https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onnagata

Sure would be nice if the author of the world's biggest comic had decided to fight the good fight though.

I mean, in this chapter we see a pair of characters where the distinction is made between a cross-dresser and a trans woman: Izo and Okiku. The former is a reference to Onnagata, while the latter is just a samurai who happens to be trans, and has never been presented as anything else. Oda isn't always... great, with LGBT issues, but his heart is in the right place, and he definitely knows the difference between the two. I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Yamato is merely playing the "role" of Oden in the whole kabuki play metaphor of this arc, but that doesn't really gibe with Kaido (and everyone else) calling him "my son Yamato". Like, why would they respect that part but not refer to him as Oden as well, if that's what he wants?

The only reason to refer to Yamato as a woman is if you purposefully want to read the situation in a convoluted and uncharitable way. It's entirely possible that it could swing back in that direction by the end of the arc, but at this point, there's no reason not to use male pronouns for Yamato.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's because the people fighting against he/him pronouns don't actually care about trans people and want to reinforce typical gender norms, of which "they" is not one of.

See also: People who insist Yamato is a girl because they find him attractive. Can't be a new waifu if they're a dude!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yamato is the best big tiddy husbando since Ace

Honestly, his face kinda reminds me of Ace or post-timeskip Coby.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

One Piece does family name first, so it'd be Belle Nami

Not always! Sometimes it uses western order, like for Edward Newgate.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Level Seven posted:

Except his son(?) is Edward Weevil so it's still eastern order.

Huh, I could've sworn there was an SBS saying the opposite, but oh well. I was wrong.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oden's story was fun, but didn't strike me as especially tragic by One Piece standards. Maybe it's just that we knew he was executed by being boiled alive basically since we met Momo all those years ago, it didn't come across as a big shock or anything.

Personally, Chopper's backstory is the one that still hits the hardest. "A man dies when he is forgotten" always makes me a bit misty-eyed.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

i sincerely cannot wait until the kaido flashback that we must get

Yeah, I'm really curious about what his Deal is. Why did he come to Wano, specifically, to make his army of devil fruit users? We know he was getting the ingredients for SMILE from Caesar on Punk Hazard. Does he have some connection to Onigashima? Has he always been unkillable, or is it a result of becoming strong?

We really don't know much about him.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

JahRoo posted:

I'm curious what was special about Pound that Big Mom wanted to have kids with him. Based on his treatment she didn't seem to like or care about him very much, so there must have been another reason.

She had them at the point where she was already having half-fishman, half-long leg, etc. children, so I wonder if there was anything special about where he came from or his fighting abilities that we didn't see.

Maybe she thought he was part of the mythical Big Head Tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love Luffy and Yamato pushing down the ceiling with their heads to watch the speech. They make a good pair :allears: