Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Seeing that spread of the Strawhats standing over the defeated pirates was just one of the best thing's Oda has drawn in ages. Plus Franky's face when he asks if anyone wants to drink to celebrate. It is just great to have the whole crew together in one spot rolling the fodder over so casually, with everyone being shocked at them doing it. I forgot just how much I enjoy when they do that because it has been so long since they've all been in one spot at the same time.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Did you guys know that the 4kids dub totally kicked rear end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX-AX-R0INo&t=658s

You know I gotta give props to the people who edited the 4kids version. Having to splice all those scenes together to make sense out of everything they cut would've been really difficult. They somehow made it coherent even though they took out so much.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

NowonSA posted:

So looking at the blind read thread got me thinking. Since Kuina's family seems to have some Wano connections, and a girl who could beat Zoro 2,000 times dying from falling down stairs is lame any way you slice it (Edit: drat you'll never believe me, but this pun was not intended at all), what are the odds that her death was part of a plot by one of the baddies in this Wano arc? Zoro's always been a badass, but I could definitely sign up for him completely losing his poo poo and showing us how close to "a hero cuts up someone into tiny pieces" you can get in a shonen magazine. Oda's shown some wild writing chops, but I personally would be totally okay with him just slapping a simple "killed Kuina for reasons" tag onto one of Kaido's lieutenants and having Zoro cut that person up.

I mean, the full fanservice outcome is that Kuina's death was faked and she shows up Sabo style, but I don't think we'll see that same trick pulled twice.

...... why would you want anything like this. I actually don’t understand how you could think this would make the story better. What kind of silly reasoning could Kaido have for even ordering it.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

To be fair Kuina's death is exactly the kind of thing a cape comic wouldn't be able to leave alone either.

There's are so many reasons to avoid the current crop of western comics, but the inability to keep characters dead is one of the worst things DC/Marvel comic writers do. Don't just use death as a cheap emotional gut punch, it has mean to something or no one cares because you know that character will come back eventually ( I say this being a big fan of Dragonball, but you know at least you have to use a wish granting dragon to get them back which is at least cool).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I feel like every arc post-timeskip has been in pretty tight contest for "the worst" in its own right. They've usually got some cool stuff in them, but they're also really brought down hard by meandering pace or really bewildering, off-kilter ideas like;

After Fishman island was Punk Hazard I think? Which has been pretty well addressed in this thread but I wasn't a huge fan of the body swap stuff because outside of its initial comedic reaction it doesn't really do much. Then there's Dressarosa which started off neat and had some cool fights, but really suffered from having so many plothreads just going every which way and its resolution feeling a bit empty. The only one of the major plot arcs post-timeskip that don't have at least one major element that really beat it down for me would probably be whole cake which I remember enjoying pretty thoroughly from start to finish.

I'd argue that only really applies until we get to Zou.

Zou felt like what the New World should've been from the start and I loved how Oda played with his usual storytelling format, I loved the Minks who feel like the most natural inclusion of all the species in the story and I loved Jack as the villain, with the ultimate payoff of him getting curbstomped in one second after everything he did.

If Punk Hazard was as short as Zou was, I think it would have been better for it. Instead it dragged out something fierce and then goes into Dressrosa which is just this gigantic slog to read through, with a villain that just won't go down due to bullshit powers that even an Admiral can't stop.

But my favorite pick will always be Skypiea. That Noland flashback is just something else and the pure adventure is just something we never saw again.

Jose posted:

Just casually walking over and pushing the zombie back into the ground is my favourite op joke

It would be this and the Afro Luffy monologue for me.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I want the Door Door Fruit.

It's boring but it's super effective.

You can turn people into revolving doors, that’s anything but boring

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

We can all agree that Robin's best outfit was her Thriller Bark one at least

Skypiea & Water 7 mate

It’s not even a contest

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I miss when the OP's and Ed's were all happy vibes and felt appropriate to the show.

I really did not like when they started putting in generic pop songs for all the OP's past Kokoro no Chizu. We Go, Fight Together and Over the Top are the only ones that have been any good beyond that ( I hate Share the World, despite Share the Urouge being one of the best things ever created).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

brand new world, jungle p, and hope all rule

Maybe Brand New World, but the other two?

Nahhh, no way.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Wake Up is my contender for the worst opening right next to Hands Up and Super Powers. All generic, poppy songs that you could chuck on any other show and no one would bat an eye because of how bland/uninspired they are.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I don't think so. We have been TOLD that you die.

Caesars Smile Pet.

He ate a devil fruit Caesar planted and detonated across the entire island as a weapon.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Wait, what's happening to the forums.

I just read the stuff abou Lowtax, but are we also shutting down? I don't want this forum to close, this is the only good place to discuss anything because of how well it's moderated.

If it is closing though, it's been fun discussing this wonderful series with y'all. Thanks for all the nanomachine/ Blackbeard fetus theories.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

AkumaHokoru posted:

eah? they botched it?

Nah they didn't.

It's pretty alright actually and there are a lot of sequences they animated or storyboarded really well for that fight, especially the Snakeman sequence which is just phenomenal. They botched the Cracker fight completely though, that was just.. yeah

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

You check it out yourself just pencil in a quick <checks notes> two and a half hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxWwqvwBkA

I actually really love the sequence that starts around the 57 minute mark in that video and I love the Conqueror Haki clash they have. Whoever directed those scenes just nailed it

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is not established. Kaido is stated to be the strongest creature vs Whitebeard's Man.

Also Oden was not close to killing him, he just got a few decent shots in.

He was literally about to execute him before the old lady pulled her trick.

Dude was stronger than Kaido at that time, but as was the point of his flashback, having strength alone isn't enough otherwise Orochi would've been dealt with from the word go.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just reread the chapter and this is not true. Oden got his one good shot off on Kaido started charging him, was distracted, then taken out by Kaido. He was never about to kill him.

I don't know how you can look at that scene where Kaido crashes to the ground, Oden charging at his exposed neck with the clear intent to finish him off and think it was anything but Oden on the verge of defeating him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That was his body not neck. And Kaido returned to human form right away. There is a good chance Oden's attack would have missed even if he was not distracted. The fight would have just been longer.

I'm not going to go into this much more because at the end of the day , he did lose that fight , but c'mon dude. There's a good chance that he would've missed after dealing a serious blow that sent him crashing to the ground? How does that even make sense? That's really reaching to try and justify why you think Oden wasn't about to win that fight.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ubiquitus posted:

There's a big difference between some mook having an awakened fruit and an emperor.

We all know how stupid broken foxy's fruit was, but literally still can't win a fight

I would love it if we found the previous holder of that fruit was some stupid strong pirate or someone like Rocks who really used it for all it's worth.

It made someone like Foxy crazy strong, can you imagine it in the hands of anyone with actual strength.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Wano has actually been pretty decent so far in the anime. Some clunker episodes here and there, the pacing can still be pretty bad, but overall they've been doing a better job for this arc than they've done in like 6-7 years. They even did some sidestory and filler stuff that fit in seamlessly to the narrative and even enhanced it.

Plus the new artstyle is perfect, it suits One Piece really well.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

As far as I can tell all the animation budget for Wano has gone into making Zoro look cool, and that’s a real positive.

Zoro focused episodes have been getting most of the love though, he even has this little gambling story that's anime only and it's actually really great. Plus do yourself a favour and listen to any scene Orochi's in, the VA they chose for him is fantastic.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly my question is how the gently caress Baroque Works got their hands on a gun dog, like Funkfreed makes sense insofar as Vegapunk works for the marines, and Ceaser used to work with Vegapunk too and can manipulate gas so Smiley makes sense too, but gun dog?

Also one of my biggest letdowns in this entire series is that Zoro never got an adorable pet sword elephant

He was a Warlord and had Gov connections. Not too hard to believe Croc could find a connection willing to make it happen. Hell the dog fruit doesn’t seem particularly valuable, they could’ve used it as an experiment and he requested it once done.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

oddium posted:

anyone else ever wonder why queen has a normal dinosaur arm here

but not here

I forgot how much I loved this moment.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Eiba posted:

Alright, I'll give this a go. I dropped off at the timeskip after being disgusted at how badly the Whitebeard War was handled, but I like being able to picture these characters in motion, and especially hear their voices. I basically have no idea what Jinbei is supposed to sound like.

[one day later]

Fishman island sucks. Christ. Like, the flashback is good, and it's kind of funny that the Strawhats do a coup by accident as the result of a misunderstanding, but literally everything else is dumb and makes no sense and is bad. Everything.

Two really petty dumb things:
1) Hody makes everyone walk on fumi-e of queen Otohime. Disrespecting her memory by walking on her image, right? Nearly half the population doesn't have feet. Are the merfolk showing enough disrespect by floating over the picture?

2) Van der Decken. First, literally everything about his character is terrible. But accepting him on his own terms- he's introduced as wanting to marry Shirahoshi because he's a creep. But it turns out that he's actually one of the only ones who recognizes Shirahoshi is a weapon, and wants to harness her power to fulfill his family dream of... accruing riches... by marrying her. Okay. A terrible mix of boring and creepy, but okay. Technically makes sense. But then when Shirahoshi says he's "not her type," he wants to kill her because of his heartache is too painful or some poo poo. But like... his desire to actually marry her has already been established as a sham. What the gently caress is he talking about. Is he trying to make sure her power doesn't fall into anyone else's hands? It's never explained. He says he's happy to destroy Fishman island with the big boat... because he's comically sad about an obvious rejection.

Van der Decken and Hody are the villains, but one is just... literally dumb, and the other, Hody, the story goes out of its way to disconnect from the emotional heart of the story. Like even before the anime apparently messed it up, the interesting principle he represents is generational hatred- someone who hates without having experienced the cycle of violence first hand. But like, even if that was pulled off perfectly it's real bad because fishmen are still treated terribly, and Hody justifiably knows his history, even if he didn't personally interact with humans. It's just an incoherent message no matter how you parse it, so Hody just goes crazy and is a hyper-rear end in a top hat for no reason to clarify the morality of the situation. And everyone who follows him is totally on board with that, which means none of them can have coherent motivations either.

I think at the time I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and looking back I mainly remembered the amazing flashback. I have actaully reread it recently, but I guess I just skimmed all of Hody's dialog. And all of Hody's underling's dialog. Having it all drone on and on and on in anime form really emphasizes just how much of that arc was a loving waste of time.

And I haven't even talked about Sanji. And I won't.

Though I will say, I did notice that his disgusting bigotry towards okama is clearly shown as a personal hangup. Ussop is confused and thinks Sanji is being rude when he refuses to thank the okama who saved his life with a blood transfusion. Okama are just another kind of people to most people. Sanji's the only one who's disgusting. But christ is he gross.

Hey, Zeo was cool

He's literally the only New Fishman pirate I can remember the name of so he must've done something right.

But yeah Fishman Island is not great. The Fisher Tiger flashback can only carry it so much and while I love the parts where the crew gets to show off their new skills, everything surrounding it falls really flat. It's honestly the second worst arc for me, with Dressrosa being dead last. It seemed at the time Oda had some real issues with pacing, but got it back to normal with Zou

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

I liked it when Hody got completely jobbed by Zoro, then got a huge power up just so he could be jobbed by Luffy. But yeah FI's sole purpose was to establish Jinbei as a strawhat, plus some world building for the Celestial Dragons and to foreshadow the fishmen as part of the Raftel prophecy (which was all really good imo). Hody and friends only existed for the Strawhats to flex their post-timeskip training and to add some gags after the flashback sadness.

Don't forget showing another Ancient Weapon.

Also we just gotta bite the bullet and call it Laugh Tale, that's it's actual name. I don't like the name either, I don't know why Oda didn't bother to clarify it this entire time but it's what the island is called. Let's just thank god it wasn't as bad as something like Shilliew or Mary Geoise.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It makes the reveal of Roger's reaction all the more impactful.

Nah this isn’t a true reveal moment, the Stampede movie showed that the name was commonly known by everyone. Hell I bet until he told the animation team the name and clarified it, it woulda kept on being taken as Raftel, just like Mary Geoise/Mariejois.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bleck posted:

is "ugh fishman island bad" the new "ugh dressrosa bad" which is to say "it's fine and good if you consider the story outside of the context of weekly updates"

I've re-read both and I still think they're the worst arcs.

Doesn't matter if you read them weekly or if you waited to read them in one go, they have really, really big issues

Bleck posted:

this is probably the fifth or sixth time I've said this in this thread but it's baffling how many people post in the One Piece thread who, apparently, don't like One Piece

I've been reading One Piece for over half my life now. It's pretty safe to say I love Oda's work. Not particularly enjoying Fishman island or Dressrosa doesn't mean I don't like One Piece.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Dressrosa has bad bits, more towards the end, but it also has a lot of awesome poo poo like everyone involved in the colosseum, Senor Pink, God Ussop, the Strawhat Fleet. Same with Punk Hazard. It's not the strongest arc, but Vergo and Monet are cool. Some great jokes with the swapped bodies. Law cutting the mountain in half is awesome.

I like One Piece.

Even the worst of One Piece is still good, this is also a true statement.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Bleck you're good people

I get the complains and it's fairly obvious Oda hit a bit of a slump post Paramount War. Tho let's be honest; it would be very hard for any writer to follow up that kind of build up and emotional payoff

Dressrosa is the new Skypeia; it was 5 years ago fam let it go

Skypiea was really good tho. Legitimately one of my favourite arcs.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I wish Franky got more fights. He's essentially gotten two despite being introduced well over a decade ago. I'm dubious on counting him and Luffy since it stopped as soon as it began, or on Fish-Man Island because it was so one-sided it was barely even a fight. I feel weird counting any of those fights with the Straw Hats as true fights except Luffy vs. Hordy because for everyone else they just danced around their opponents and took them out without breaking a sweat.

Nero, Fukurou, Baby 5 /Buffalo and Senor Pink. They're all great fights and then he has all his other cool moments outside his fights, so he's not exactly starved of the spotlight. I wish Chopper or Nico Robin had as much time on screen as he gets

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

For another example , the walk to Arlong Park is entirely anime only and it makes the scene way more iconic.

The manga has Luffy just appear and bash in the gate and while cool, the anime adds a sequence and nails it so hard most people think Oda was the one who did it. I think the walk to Franky House was another one of these additions but it’s been a while since I’ve read Water 7 so don’t quote me on that.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

Having only watched the anime back in the day, Skypiea's anime version certainly profited from being sandwiched between two dense clusters of filler arcs, plus the painfully-elongated Davy Back fight. The latter in particular felt like such a low point to me that everything before and after was lifted up somewhat; I was honestly surprised to learn that the Davy Back stuff wasn't entirely anime filler.

Fake edit: Looking it up on the wiki, it's even worse than I remembered: The filler parts between Alabasta and Jaya take up episodes 131-143, and the filler plus honorary filler (Davy Back fight) after Skypiea encompasses all of episodes 196-226. I stopped watching after Enies Lobby; has there ever been a more dire time for the anime than the stretch between Skypiea and Water 7?

G8 is good enough that It's a shame Oda never incorporated Johnathan into the series somehow. The filler they did with Foxy was pretty awful though. They had them go through two sets of games and then they ran into him again shortly afterwards.

I'll tell you what though, I'll take it over them just elongating episodes and putting a chapters worth of content in and ruining lots of cool moments. The price we had to pay for no filler episodes wasn't worth it, at least we could skip it if they weren't good.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I mean it's definitely ramped down from how bad it was before.

I don't think we're ever going to go back to Pre Thriller Bark days though which is sad

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Julias posted:

He peeped on the public bathouse while invisible and stayed in the prostitute building while nami and carrot got chased by Big Mom. He's still trash.

I said ramped down which it has. I didn’t say it wasn’t bad, just not as bad as the Fishman Island/ Punk Hazard days

To clarify a bit, in Fishman island he was constantly being gross with the mermaids and on Punk Hazard he was doing creepy poo poo while in Nami’s body constantly. I’ll take one scene of him being gross in Wano over that stuff happening every other chapter

Asuron fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 17, 2020

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

You’re being weirdly aggro.

He’s not endorsing it, he’s not supporting it, he’s just talking about it in a neutral tone to explain why the depictions might not be great

There are some serious ongoing issues with japanese culture, especially with how they act towards and depict women. Acknowledging and understanding that the representation of women is a product of that culture isn’t an endorsement of it and everyone else in this thread seems to get it except for you and Libra.

Meme Emulator posted:

The fact that every named character is morally upright and heroic says everything you need to know. Hes singing the right tune, its just off key when he starts throwing jokes around. Like, if there were actual malicious intent behind the newkamas they would have been portrayed some way other than Luffys staunch allies. If there was malicious intent behind Bon Clay, he would have remained a villain and never redeemed himself and become one of the most loved non strawhats in the series. Intent matters a lot to me, even a fuckup with good intentions is still capable of listening and adjusting.

Rather than contradicting himself, its not so crazy to think he just made a misstep. Like Im even loath to say "missteps", the only poor representation is during the Kamabakka Kingdom which is like, what, a few pages in two chapters and two cover pages? Its not even a reoccuring problem, which goes back to that listening and adjusting.

Plus, hes actually tried. Who else running in Shounen Jump has ever even given a sliver of the spotlight to any queer characters? It seems like critism in that case just gets amplified, since Oda is the center of attention in the discussion, even though hes the only one making an attempt at positive representation in the first place.

This is a pretty interesting point. I can’t remember the last time i saw a depiction of an openly fay or trans person without them being treated like a joke. I think you hit it on the head, Oda’s representation of them is full of stereotypes and stuff that has aged poorly, but he’s actually trying to show them in a really positive light.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 20, 2020

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bleck posted:

that post was to highlight someone saying "good faith does not mean benefit of the doubt" and the person responding to it with "I know that and it's actually that you're misunderstanding me, when I said good faith I just meant benefit of the doubt"

anyway saying "the culture is misogynist" is not a salient point and if you want people to stop misinterpreting it as condoning said misogyny then maybe just literally stop saying it and expecting any different

or I guess everyone else in the thread can put on their serious caps and Vaguely Acknowledge That The Bad Thing Exists for everyone's benefit(?)

But no one else is misunderstanding it except for you, who at this point seem to be deliberately being obtuse about it. No one here is condoning misogyny, the last 5 pages is nothing but complaints about Sanji being gross for christ’s sake

You’re getting aggro at people already on your side, i really don’t understand what you’re arguing against here.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
As this chapter shows, One Piece is cool and good y’all

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Well think of it more as that’s why Devil Fruits are so luck of the draw and why certain types are so coveted. Some require heaps of creativity to even function and others require almost no effort. You could be a being made out of electricity or you could be the unlucky sod who ends up as a giraffe man for the rest of his life.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Giraffes can kill, even decapitate, fully grown lions with a single kick.

Nahhhhh Jabra was right, being a wolf man is cooler than being a giraffe man. I don't care if giraffes are more popular at the zoo :smugbert:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

right, i get that in universe they function that way. i am saying that as something that the author had an option to create, they were a poor idea, because they do not make for good in universe mechanics (at least in the way that he has decided to use them by and large)

Only if you care about the abilities being fair and balanced against each other which I think is the main issue you're having. Some abilities are just broken, it's what make devil fruits so cool.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Power levels are all gonna be irrelevant when the story is gonna be resolved with Davy Back Fight and the return of Afro Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I would pay lots of money to see Oda do a colored spread of that.