Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So I'm rereading the manga right now, and having just finished the Drum island arc, I was wondering if anyone else had the thought that Blackbeard came to the island and wrecked it because he was looking for the medical knowledge re: extracting devil fruits and implanting them into others?

Also based on the scene in Wano with Blackbeard's crewmember Devon using the ability to transform into Absolom...and the fact that Bon Clay was left behind so Luffy could get away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

after getting to about chapter 500 in the reread I can't believe the number of times around the Skypeia arc the moon is half-shaded to look like a big capital "D".

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

How is the D. written in other languages? A D could be seen as half of one piece.

There was a site I found that went into the whole moon people thing, and they said they were a non-native english speaker, which is why I kinda paused and thought about the pictographic aspects of a D. They talked about how the moon appears a bunch around the kozuki clan, and mentions the connection between the mink and the kozuki clan and the sulong effect the moon has on the mink. The moon also regulates the tides, etc

This person went into Birka and Eneru and how the sky island arc was a model for the story writ-large. There was a lot of examples piled up, but the broad outline was pretty interesting.

From the cover arcs and the chapters what's stated is that Eneru and the other people of the sky mention that he destroyed his homeland of Birka. Birka is also the name of the advanced city on the moon in the cover arcs. Eneru has that metal ring inserted in his back right where wings otherwise should be. He mentions multiple times how people mistake lightning for God because they don't know better.

And like the celestial dragons are viewed as gods, and D. people as devils or would-be god-killers. What comes to mind is the giant snake being offered sacrifices by the people of Jaya because they had forgotten their history as protectors of the history in Shandora, which was wiped out around the same time as the Great Kingdom. Noland shows up and kills the snake and people understandably in that context lose their poo poo akin to punching a celestial dragon today.

So then in this case all the D. people would be the equivalent of the stranded shandians in the sky, except below in the blue sea. The person writing this up even compared the two times these topics come up, and the volume covers have matching poses Luffy and Silvers winking, with Luffy bearing those little sky wings.

I also liked the idea this person put in, that the big element behind the Roger pirates essentially having to wait for the next generation was because they (and Ohara) were right that the Great Kingdom was totally wiped out and erased from history by what became the world government, but that what the Great Kingdom was itself was not exactly the white in a black and white scenario. That led into stuff like the details of how hosed the world is, the poles and magnetism, the apparent "knock up streams" which can geyser entire islands into the clouds due to geothermic instability. Add in the comments about rising sea levels from Water 7's story arc.

geez...One Piece always makes me want to write too much about this and that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 20, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Gyges posted:

Ironically, the D is actually the ancient poneglyphic symbol for boobs.

my god the one piece is a swimsuit after all

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Ever since I read the moon people ideas about One Piece I’ve been unable to not see it everywhere. Even though it’s not the most convincing of the points, Oda really likes drawing half moons like a letter D.
The person who shared this idea was not a native english speaker and they said the D looks like a half-moon to them, and they wondered if Oda was thinking similarly.

I figure he’d be seeing it as an image as well as a letter.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It would suit the celestial dragons and their personality if they took their name from an actual group that they somehow managed to defeat hundreds of years ago, who had among them/were dragons themselves.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The World Inferno posted:

:ohdear: where are the samurai

I spy in one panel a lone sword stuck in the rubble below Onigashima :(

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It’s kinda cool how there’s the Elder Stars, and then “Vega” punk, named after the brightest star beside the sun itself.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Oh goddammit.

Er, I suppose I should have said “one of the most studied and visible, historically” stars besides the sun, not brightest. But still cool!

e: oh, huh, I also forgot that Lyra is five stars with Vega as its brightest. And the lyre of orpheus was said to be able to reach and charm even inanimate objects (oh sure, yeah, but can it feed a dog fruit to a gun???)

e2: this just generally reminds me of how much their voyage resembles the argonautica. A large sprawling ocean romance epic, with colorful episodes (including one in which a man demands a boxing match from the crew). A prophecy of a man missing a sandal (wearing a straw hat?) toppling the established order. Luffy and the strawhats, aboard their ship made from sturdy wood of a sacred forest, off on a quest for the one fleece, er, piece.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 22, 2020

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Hey, the Going Merry never had any problems flying...

Tell that to her keel :(

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Sanji needs to find the All Blue, though!

Psssh clearly the all blue is what happens when you shatter the red line

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

There is a very simple part of me that wants the one piece roger left to be that egg on his ship, and the thing he was laughing at on laugh tale was the egg timer.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I agree with people who like BB’s relative uniqueness in the series, and also agree with those saying he’s being set up for an inheritance of Rocks will, which is still cool but not as cool (at least based on how it stands as of now).

As for his DF powers, I do wonder about things like what his flag is meant to signify with the three heads, and also that while Luffy is thought to want to unite the seas, BB is someone who has the fruit powers to break the world itself. The two of them really have that dynamic of being creative vs. destructive fire.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Theory for Rodger and Luffy’s dream:

They want to throw a really big party, and the whole world’s invited.

The final arc is just a banquet sequence sourced from the all blue

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

So watching some of the anime, they are a couple episodes into the Oden flashback, and the shots of the big tree in the flower capitol that the shoguns palace is on reaaaaally looks like an elephant at the angles it shows it at, specifically an elephant head with the trunk raised back in an arc.

The same episode made the point about the boar god eating enough buildings and towns, when it attacked the flower capitol, to form a whole village in its stomach (reminded me of Zou, as well as the inside of laboon).

Has it been speculated already that Zunesha was banished from Wano and the mink are those who went with, long ago? Both areas have very stand-out massive trees, as well. One in the shape of a whale, and wanos maybe in the shape of an elephant. I’ve liked all the animal imagery.

Speaking of which, beside laboon and that tree do we really see any whales in this world?

e: i also forgot to mention how cool the volcano in wano is (is that what it is?) Looks a lot like Im’s silhouette with the crown. I don’t remember what chapters mentioned it but there was someone who once told the straw-hats that volcanic ash was used in making solid layer clouds.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 21, 2021

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

also the "he laughed" panel was in the latest anime episode and there's a couple interesting musical choices that make it pretty awesome

I agree, I don’t watch the anime much anymore, but I cried at the music, it was a very good choice.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rereading through the series, and I was noticing that the idol the skypians hold as “an object of eternal admiration” known as “Varse” looks a lot like the silhouette of Im if you put a tall crown on its strange helmet-like head. Varse also appears to be wearing a similar robe to Im, even though its all part of a carving detail in Varse’s case.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah I don’t have much to add besides the brief recognition of shapes. Although the similarity is definitely only in the manga illustrations of Varse and Im. Probably just my brain working backwards from realizing how stout Im is when that crown is like a third of their height. To further reduce my comparison, it looks more like a pointed hood than a crown in the further off illustrations in other panels.

And another thing that caught my attention, is how Dorry and Broggy on Little Garden mention that the only thing their attacks can’t “pierce is a snake soaked in blood” (???).

Rereading in general has been a treat in terms of evocative phrases and imagery. Vivi mentions to the strawhats that the seven magnetic fields of the grand line are emanating from reverse mountain. I’m reminded that the Ohara planetary model has seven moons (if you count that one of the moons has a little moon lol)

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

I've got 374 chapters to go. Love One Piece, especially back in the day, getting back in the game. Meaning to read more in general this year, and made the leap to the manga near the end of Punk Hazard. Can I get a pep talk folks?

I've always felt like the essence of One Piece can be found in the first half pre-timeskip, but that the later chapters deliver on all the promise that those early chapters foretell of. Like the first half is the opening notes, and the part where the score swells for me is around dressrosa/zou/whole cake. Much as the person who already talked it up said, the One Piece ahead of you is the poo poo people had to sit through week-to-week, and as someone who did this exact thing, being able to just blow through it all wildly is a thrilling experience.